volta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages volta
curta9 wrote:I'm reminded of a campground neighbor that set up a generator with a long cord, so it wouldn't bother them. They put it next to our tent.



How long did it take for you to open your tent door and turn off the generator?

greezyg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

This is also by far the cheapest way to get a screen this size for your home. If you don't mind it being permanently in place. Just cut it out and mount it.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mworley1 wrote:Some screens allow the projector to throw the image when placed behind the screen, others are opaque and therefore the image must come from a projector placed in front of the screen. Does this one allow for positioning the projector on either side?



I'm gonna say no.

Features:
Black-backed screen blocks out light from behind



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chrismchristian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismchristian
silentvirus wrote:Would this only work outside due to the stakes and ropes? Looking for one for my living room, I ordered a projector from Amazon yesterday.



Stakes and ropes are just for protection against wind. The legs would be sufficient indoors without ropes as long as you don't have heavy winds in your house ;-)

schep999


quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999

Questions of how dark the night and what kind of projector is best described in terms of contrast. What makes any image on a screen look really good has to do with how "black" black is displayed. A front projection screen is limited in that the white screen needs to look black in an image. One way around this is blast more lumens at it, to make the whites brighter, and the blacks kinda look blacker.

There are different types of projectors, ones that totally block the light on a black pixel will look better, ie a back lit LED flat screen where the light at each pixel is plain off. Also, be wary of lumen claims, companies can "embellish" their numbers, and virtually any projector will lose lumens with bulb life. The hour rating on the bulb for 50% lumens and the cost of the new lamp will really help determining what you buy.

Sorry, but the answer to many questions about projectors and screens is "it depends". Buy the most lumens you can afford and include the bulb cost in your budget.

Rear projection will offer more contrast, but they like even more lumens. Screens are only front or rear. One is a reflective screen with brightening 'agents' and the other is translucent.

I have set up both types outside for events. This screen is an incredible bargain compared to the $1500-3000 screens we used.

Just do not expect the images to be like a blacked out movie theatre with $100K projection. You are not camping in a basement with a 72" plasma, 7.1 sound, and 300 watts of audio.

One last feature to realize, dew loves to collect on a screen. Folding it up at night after a show can be a gooey mess. Leaving it up for the sun and breeze to dry is a lot better. But if they blow or fall over and there is anything at all vertical behind or in front of it, it will tear faster than you can write a check for $145.

chrismchristian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismchristian
sscouten wrote:Anyone seen anything on how dark it has to be to view a picture on this thing? The picture on the sales page seems to be somewhat light and the description talks about it blocking out light - but my previous experience with projectors and screens are that you need it to be almost pitch black outside.

thoughts?



This will depend greatly on your projector. Look at the lumens and contrast ratio it has. Your restrictions on daylight will be more of a limitation of your projector than the screen. For most projectors that are being pushed to the 120" size, you will want dusk at least.

To get clearer video, if you could do with a little less size (move the projector closer and go with say 60-80 inches) you may get enough intensity that it works in daylight.

One thing you could try is to install a dark tarp over top of the screen (think Boy Scout, ropes, knots, etc ;-), even in sun, if you give it enough shade and cover over the projected light, it should significantly improve the image even in sun. (just a theory though) Good Luck!

godfreyc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreyc

At 44lbs, I'm surprised that the bag doesn't have wheels like a lot of their propane stoves have!

schep999


quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999

One thing you could try is to install a dark tarp over top of the screen (think Boy Scout, ropes, knots, etc ;-), even in sun, if you give it enough shade and cover over the projected light, it should significantly improve the image even in sun. (just a theory though) Good Luck![/quote]

Campfires and lanterns need to be shaded off the screen too. But your idea of a big rain fly over the screen is a good one.

crashsite68


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68
sscouten wrote:Anyone seen anything on how dark it has to be to view a picture on this thing? The picture on the sales page seems to be somewhat light and the description talks about it blocking out light - but my previous experience with projectors and screens are that you need it to be almost pitch black outside.

thoughts?



The brighter the projector, the better the picture. I have two... one is 1200 lumens and is impossible to see with the lights on in a room. The other is 3000 lumens and shows a decent picture with the lights on.

Screen will NOT make that big of a difference. Any screen you choose will make no more than 1-3% difference.

crashsite68


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68
rydethis wrote:Can you use a dvd player for these or do you have to use a projector?



Unless we've gone 20 years into the future when flexible LCD screens have been around for so long that they're cheap, you're going to need a projector. They had some nice ones here a week ago. I bought one that was selling in stores for $1200 and got it for $400.

crashsite68


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68
greezyg wrote:This is also by far the cheapest way to get a screen this size for your home. If you don't mind it being permanently in place. Just cut it out and mount it.



FALSE... check out this guy on Ebay. GREAT screen, no wrinkles!
http://r.ebay.com/wOjlxk

auctionsaver


quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver

When I saw portable outdoor movie screen, I was thinking this was one of those inflatables, but this looks like more of a portable than outdoor portable. It doesn't look that washable.

I am a projector freak and custom built my own fixed 100" screen in my basement theater and have it color to exact neutral gray, but when projecting outdoors, I just use a giant white board (4'X8') that I bought at Home Depot. I used to put it on a stand, but then I decided to eventally just attach it to the back of my seperate garage when needed. Works great.

Maintenance is really important so I would hope this cleans really easy. It isn't things like rain, but bugs that are naturally drawn to the bright surface.

auctionsaver


quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
schep999 wrote:Questions of how dark the night and what kind of projector is best described in terms of contrast. What makes any image on a screen look really good has to do with how "black" black is displayed. A front projection screen is limited in that the white screen needs to look black in an image. One way around this is blast more lumens at it, to make the whites brighter, and the blacks kinda look blacker.

There are different types of projectors, ones that totally block the light on a black pixel will look better, ie a back lit LED flat screen where the light at each pixel is plain off. Also, be wary of lumen claims, companies can "embellish" their numbers, and virtually any projector will lose lumens with bulb life. The hour rating on the bulb for 50% lumens and the cost of the new lamp will really help determining what you buy.

Sorry, but the answer to many questions about projectors and screens is "it depends". Buy the most lumens you can afford and include the bulb cost in your budget.

Rear projection will offer more contrast, but they like even more lumens. Screens are only front or rear. One is a reflective screen with brightening 'agents' and the other is translucent.

I have set up both types outside for events. This screen is an incredible bargain compared to the $1500-3000 screens we used.

Just do not expect the images to be like a blacked out movie theatre with $100K projection. You are not camping in a basement with a 72" plasma, 7.1 sound, and 300 watts of audio.

One last feature to realize, dew loves to collect on a screen. Folding it up at night after a show can be a gooey mess. Leaving it up for the sun and breeze to dry is a lot better. But if they blow or fall over and there is anything at all vertical behind or in front of it, it will tear faster than you can write a check for $145.



99% of people wouldn't notice the difference between 100K setup and an Epson Home Cinema 5020, 98% between it and a 3020 and most would be just happy with even a 720p projector for around $500-900.

The key really that it comes down to is lumens. Yes contrast and calibration are important, but unless you are going to wait until it is dark out, you need lumens. Most modern projectors will do just fine for most folks.

Pros like us wouldn't bother with something like this. We would get a much more expensive one, or more than likely, build one ourselves depending on the application.

I personally recommend either an LCD based projector or 3 chip DLP because you never know when you are going to get someone who suffers with RBE. I personally see it, though I didn't see it on my first project years ago. When I replaced my first intro projector which was a 7 color wheel single chip dlp with an optoma 5 color wheel that could do 3D, I thought I was hallucinating. After that, I couldn't even watch my old one anymore because I knew then what I didn't know before, and what to look for. I ended up going with an Epson 1080UB at the time. I guess once you have tasted the forbidden fruit, never again can you go back to the garden.

I did pick up a 720 projector last year for outdoor use. I didn't want to take my better projector outside and the 705HD seemed to have enough lumens. I doesn't look nearly as nice as my Epson does, but it really is a great deal of fun when people come over. Also great for watch sports outside. I actually set up a second screen under my overhang patio at 80" mostly for sports.

I don't know about you, but I just don't like the look of LCD or Plasma screens now after using a projector for so long. It looks "artificial". Again, once you have tasted the forbidden fruit....

Any person really looking for that type of setup should know that a pro screen cannot be gotten for $139 out of the box..

jamesbutabi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesbutabi

I bought this on Amazon to use at my rental company in place of an inflatable model that suffered pinholes constantly. It takes about 5 minutes to set up. Very easy to do as it is labeled with letters throughout. The screen is actually a greyish color which surprised me as we typically had glossy white ones. This didn't have a significant effect on the picture which still shows clear. Ideal to put in the lawn and stake down but can be used anywhere really.

midiwall


quality posts: 2 Private Messages midiwall
outoftune wrote:After I buy this, How much will I have to spend on a good/adaquate projector?

("mlewie" replied) For outdoor use, I wouldn't go overboard as sitting around on the patio with the neighbors isn't exactly a critical viewing environment. I paid about $600 for a new Epson that does 720P with an HDMI connector and provides 2000 lumens...



Nah... I spent $350 on a DLP projector, it works AWESOME.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9S3OOC

Remember that you'll also need SOUND! I use this outside:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C1AO2I

:: Mark

thelopez8


quality posts: 2 Private Messages thelopez8
mtnhrdgr2 wrote:For the people that buy this or already own one, PLEASE DO NOT use this while camping, especially if there are other campers near you.

I went to a campsite last summer and there was a group of campers that were watching movies with their screen. It is NOT ok. As a matter of fact, it is RUDE to do this. No, other campers do NOT think you are cool. Actually, other campers think you are a d-bag!

Most people go camping to get away from the city. If u want to watch movies and blast your radio/stereo while camping, just stay at home.



it's a free country.

midiwall


quality posts: 2 Private Messages midiwall
silentvirus wrote:Would this only work outside due to the stakes and ropes? Looking for one for my living room, I ordered a projector from Amazon yesterday.

(reply) Stakes and ropes are just for protection against wind. The legs would be sufficient indoors without ropes as long as you don't have heavy winds in your house ;-)


Actually, the footprint of the screen is pretty large, the legs are long for balance. One side of them is about 12" long, the other side is 24" long. So you won't be able to get the screen any closer than 12" from a wall.

Also, the screen is a sleeve that pulls over a frame. If you're buying this just to cut up the fabric, you'd be better off just buying a screen from Camp Chef.

http://http://www.campchef.com/portable-screens.html

:: Mark

Pufferfishy


quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Was going to quote a few Curlys directly, but I'll probably get censored again.

It's clear how many people on this list DON'T go camping (but have an opinion on what is acceptable behavior).

Ah, 'Murhica....

But I will say be careful what you wish for. Last trip I took we had a noisy neighbor. When they finally turned off their music the former din was replaced by the sounds of another couple's "tubercular sex" (one of them clearly had breathing issues)

You've been put on posting probation for this post

tra2360


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tra2360
thelopez8 wrote:it's a free country.



Always cracks me up when people say that.

Actually, your "rights" only extend up until the point where they infringe on someone else's.

mfassett


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mfassett
inspector52 wrote:May be you should find a more isolated Country to go camping. Anybody in this Country that feels like entertaining their friends and family in the great outdoors of America, I give them props.



Yes, because the outdoors itself is very devoid of entertainment without celebrities, explosions, car chases, etc.

narquespamley


quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

I installed a standard Elite Screens 106" pull-down screen on an outside wall, under a weather-protected 24" overhang on our back patio for $169 from the mothership. If you have such a location, this can be a good alternative, and it's a ton more convenient than this item. When not in use, it's safely tucked away and hardly noticeable above the sliding glass doors.

Remember that projectors are extremely sensitive to outside light, and you won't get a useable picture during daylight hours unless you shade the area. We find that it works pretty well with a good projector (Viewsonic Pro8200 with 1080P and 2000 lumens) as soon as the sun is behind the trees. Until night really sets in, you will definitely notice the partially washed out display.

redchief


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redchief
sscouten wrote:Anyone seen anything on how dark it has to be to view a picture on this thing? The picture on the sales page seems to be somewhat light and the description talks about it blocking out light - but my previous experience with projectors and screens are that you need it to be almost pitch black outside.

thoughts?



o dark thirty

mtnhrdgr2


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2

To the people that said “this is a free country,” or “mind your own business,” or “props to those who want to entertain their family in this free country,” etc, etc…

I agree with these comments 100%. Let me clarify the point I was trying to make.

Most people go camping during the summer time. During the summer, it gets dark around 830pm’ish. The one experience I was talking about, the campsite has a 10pm curfew (ie no loud noises, etc…). The group of campers turned the movie on at 930pm and ended around 1115. And they proceeded to play a 2nd movie, which did not end until around close to 1am. All the while, they were blasting their ‘boombox’ for the movie audio. Yes it was loud. At this point, it is no longer ‘minding my own business’ because now it is affecting me/others. Yes, they pissed off a lot of campers around them.

I understand it is a free country, but the campsite had rules. With these rules in place, is it still a camper’s right to disregard the rules? Even if there were no rules, one should know how to self-govern themselves.

To the person that said that I should go camping where it is more isolated. I do that on occasion where I have time to go backpacking. Fortunately, that movie experience has only happened once, and I have not gone back to that campsite nor will I ever.

Oh well, I guess we can agree to disagree. Thankfully most campers are actually pleasant to be around.

mtnhrdgr2


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2
curta9 wrote:Some folks go to campgrounds to party, some to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. Some are smart enough and considerate enough to behave in a manner that is compatible with both. Some revel in ignorance and selfishness.



Well said.


curta9 wrote:
I'm reminded of a campground neighbor that set up a generator with a long cord, so it wouldn't bother them. They put it next to our tent.



I know what you mean.

oeg1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oeg1
silentvirus wrote:Would this only work outside due to the stakes and ropes? Looking for one for my living room, I ordered a projector from Amazon yesterday.



If you have a big enough living room it will work

highvolt82


quality posts: 0 Private Messages highvolt82

If you don't want to be around people, don't go to a campground.

crazybobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazybobblehead

what would the damage threshold with lasers be with this screen?
I am into laser entertainment..

I know this might be a hard question to answer, unless you have been there with one yourself

mtnhrdgr2


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2
highvolt82 wrote:If you don't want to be around people, don't go to a campground.



I dont think anyone said that they dont want people around.

narquespamley


quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
schep999 wrote:One thing you could try is to install a dark tarp over top of the screen (think Boy Scout, ropes, knots, etc ;-), even in sun, if you give it enough shade and cover over the projected light, it should significantly improve the image even in sun. (just a theory though) Good Luck!



Campfires and lanterns need to be shaded off the screen too. But your idea of a big rain fly over the screen is a good one.[/quote]

I can tell you from actual experience this doesn't work very well. All reflected light is a problem - from all surfaces in all directions depending on where the sun is.

narquespamley


quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
greezyg wrote:This is also by far the cheapest way to get a screen this size for your home. If you don't mind it being permanently in place. Just cut it out and mount it.



This is patently untrue. You can get a decent-quality Elite Screens 120 inch manual pull down screen in the sub-$170 range, and don't underestimate the utility of being able to put away a white screen that is otherwise susceptible to dust, fingerprints, and other mischief.

Bear in mind that any screen has to be tensioned.

If cost is really what you're after, I understand that plain white Tyvek (not the hardware store variety with the big printing on it) makes a fine screen material.

Or if you've got an indoor wall you're willing to dedicate to being a screen, simply paint it with "projection screen paint".

gmartell


quality posts: 10 Private Messages gmartell

How are you guys handling the sound? Waterproof lawn speakers?

greezyg


quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg
narquespamley wrote:This is patently untrue. You can get a decent-quality Elite Screens 120 inch manual pull down screen in the sub-$170 range, and don't underestimate the utility of being able to put away a white screen that is otherwise susceptible to dust, fingerprints, and other mischief.

Bear in mind that any screen has to be tensioned.

If cost is really what you're after, I understand that plain white Tyvek (not the hardware store variety with the big printing on it) makes a fine screen material.

Or if you've got an indoor wall you're willing to dedicate to being a screen, simply paint it with "projection screen paint".



OK, so 5 years ago when I built my last screen this was the way to go lol.

ski38off


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ski38off
silentvirus wrote:Would this only work outside due to the stakes and ropes? Looking for one for my living room, I ordered a projector from Amazon yesterday.



I have one set up in my theatre room in my house. It free stands perfectly. When we take it outside, we stake it out in case the wind comes up.

gtneher


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtneher
cmacclel wrote:Completely DISAGREE


Most campgrounds have curfews as long as your not watching movies at 2am who cares. People need to mind there own business. I highly doubt people using this outdoors are going to have 1000 watt sound systems with subs while using this Probably be less noisy than the typical drunk people hanging out around a camp fire.



THANK YOU! I plan on using it at the campground. What a great thing to sit by the fire roasting dogs and smores and watch a movie as well. Not planning on disturbing the neighbors with dolby surround but they are welcome to come watch. By the way I camp in a 5th wheel with slide outs.

saruyama


quality posts: 0 Private Messages saruyama

5th wheels and 120-inch screens count as camping?

gtneher wrote:THANK YOU! I plan on using it at the campground. What a great thing to sit by the fire roasting dogs and smores and watch a movie as well. Not planning on disturbing the neighbors with dolby surround but they are welcome to come watch. By the way I camp in a 5th wheel with slide outs.



allablur


quality posts: 0 Private Messages allablur
sscouten wrote:Anyone seen anything on how dark it has to be to view a picture on this thing? The picture on the sales page seems to be somewhat light and the description talks about it blocking out light - but my previous experience with projectors and screens are that you need it to be almost pitch black outside.

thoughts?



1500 to 2000 lumens should provide a good bright image...

Agerak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Agerak
curta9 wrote:Some folks go to campgrounds to party, some to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. Some are smart enough and considerate enough to behave in a manner that is compatible with both. Some revel in ignorance and selfishness.

I'm reminded of a campground neighbor that set up a generator with a long cord, so it wouldn't bother them. They put it next to our tent.



That's when you pee in the gas tank and dump some dirt in it. Tends to stop making noise shortly after that.

indetrucks


quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks
mtnhrdgr2 wrote:For the people that buy this or already own one, PLEASE DO NOT use this while camping, especially if there are other campers near you.

I went to a campsite last summer and there was a group of campers that were watching movies with their screen. It is NOT ok. As a matter of fact, it is RUDE to do this. No, other campers do NOT think you are cool. Actually, other campers think you are a d-bag!

Most people go camping to get away from the city. If u want to watch movies and blast your radio/stereo while camping, just stay at home.



I got one just in time for my trip to Yosemite! YES!!!!

desigirlz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages desigirlz

I've had this on my wish list for a couple of years so I finally bit. Just hope North Texas doesn't get another epidemic of West Nile Virus this summer which will keep everyone locked in at night. Everything's bigger in Texas, especially our mosquitoes.

KamikazeKen


quality posts: 17 Private Messages KamikazeKen

love the concept, but in reality just how durable will this be if it gets used 12-15 times every summer? 2 years?