WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today, Scott's chosen a topic many don't associate with popular music: songs about God. After all, there are as many different ways to worship as there are people, so why can't some rock stars get in on it too? Here's a classic to start us off:

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

George had a reputation as the nicest Beatle, so it was pretty naturally he'd fall into religion. And, truthfully, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness has met with some controversy over the years. But the idea behind this simple love song is as pure as any Sunday hymn, and much prettier than many. Ultimately, this is just one guy using his gifts to thank his God for everything He has done. You might not agree with the specifics, but you can certainly understand the reasoning.

We've got four more after the jump, and last week's Spotify playlist as well. Then we want YOU to add some tunes! Please remember, we're happy to see songs about all faiths represented in the comments, but we don't want anyone acting like a jerk. It's about sharing great music together, not scoring theology points. Okay? Okay. See you inside…

Before we head inside, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Funk-ay Music and you best go over there and get down! But before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday below.

Doobie Brothers - Jesus Is Just All Right

A very simple song that was written by a gospel group to specifically praise Jesus, then got adopted as a Top 40 standard by some non-religious musicians. I think this version still counts, though, because even if the Doobie Brothers weren't at church every Sunday, they're still making it clear: Jesus seems like he'd be a nice enough guy to hang out with. He was probably an all right kinda guy. And who can disagree with that sentiment, even if it comes from some guys named Doobie?

A Tribe Called Quest (feat. Common) - The Remedy NSFW for hip hop talk

There's a solid message in this one, one that a lot of radio favorites don't consider. Despite the language, this song very intelligently says "You were made by a higher power with love, stop being a fool all the time, because it's disrespectful." Maybe that's a slightly more street version of "Do unto others…" but you've got to admit, it comes from the same place.

U2 - Gloria

One of the earliest hits for these Irish Catholic rock stars, Gloria pulls the Latin praising God and turns it into a love song. Bono himself says it's simultaneously about a woman and about God, something that seems pretty clear in his delivery. Maybe this is the rock version of a Sufi prayer? Or maybe it's just a young man's hope after seeing a pretty girl in church.

Joan Osborne - One Of Us

I wish the Prince cover of this was online, because that's my personal favorite version, but the original's not to shabby either. Joan Osborne's song reminds us that God might be everywhere, and sort of implicit is the message that maybe we should be more polite to each other just in case.

We've only got room for five each week, so if we missed your favorite song/faith, don't feel left out! Instead, jump in the comments and add to our mediations. And please remember: we're all grown-ups and we're all friends. Then, afterwards, feel free to visit our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

alexander5245

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexander5245

Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky": a Christian song by a good Jewish boy who just wanted to try his hand at gospel music.

brcarthey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brcarthey

Depeche Mode's song, "Blasphemous Rumours," off their 1984 album "Some Great Reward," really helped a lot of angst-ridden teens who were going through turmoil in their own lives and seeing so many problems in society. They turned to music and songs like this one because it seemed to channel how they were feeling inside wondering why God was letting all these bad things happen. It certainly helped me (and still does occasionally) through some rough patches and don't feel it's disrespectful towards God at all, but simply questioning the crazy events that were happening all around us.

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

The entire B side of Jethro Tull's Aqualung is about G-d and religion, but for a single track I would pick the first: 'My God'

nemo2005

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nemo2005

Two to add to the list..

Bob Dylan-I Believe In You. Yeah, it's from his "Born Again" period, but still a nice simple and graceful ode about a believer having to live among those who could care less or are outright hostile.
XTC-Dear God...speaking of outright hostle, it's hard to top this little tune by Andy Partridge. I think it was done as a B-side originally, but became more popular than anything else on the Skylarking record and was subsequently included on it.

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe. I've liked this song for a long time.

adahm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adahm

"Joan Osborne's song reminds us that God might be everywhere, and sort of implicit is the message that maybe we should be more polite to each other just in case."

I love it! "Be nice to other people because they might be somebody in disguise who will punish you with hell for eternity, not because it's the decent thing to do."

mossygreen

quality posts: 72 Private Messages mossygreen

First thought: FINALLY I can post a MILLION Supertramp songs! Second thought: I probably shouldn't.

Anyway, at least every other song Roger Hodgson ever wrote was about God (I didn't really realize this as a child). Here are several, feel free to listen to none of them.

Babaji

Even in the Quietest Moments, with kayaking!

Lord is it Mine

Lord is it Mine, a cover, but with SENSITIVE ROLLERSKATING!

A Soapbox Opera

mossygreen

vigilante1987 wrote:The entire B side of Jethro Tull's Aqualung is about G-d and religion, but for a single track I would pick the first: 'My God'

It's hard to choose just one song off of Aqualung, isn't it?

I'd go with Hymn 43, myself.

fzeppelin

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fzeppelin

Pacific Gas & Electric's "Are You Ready"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiZg82R89Qc

and Curtis Mayfield doing "People Get Ready"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOXmaSCt4ZE

are 2 of my favorites.

magoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages magoh

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet. From the album of the same title.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

adahm wrote:I love it! "Be nice to other people because they might be somebody in disguise who will punish you with hell for eternity, not because it's the decent thing to do."

That's not actually the meaning I was going for. To me, it's more like if you were enjoying a movie, and knew the director was sitting in front of you, you might want to pat him on the shoulder or say Wow, great job! And if you went into that movie thinking that the director was there in disguise, you might make the effort to be nice to everyone rather than offend someone who brought you such a good time.

To me, it's not a song about fear at all. It's just about respecting each other, because any one of us could be greater than we appear. Replace the word God with Superman, if it helps, and maybe you'll hear what I hear.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mossygreen

More about religion than God as such, but is it worth waiting to see if next week Scott chooses the topic of songs that are about religion, but not so much God? I say, no.

Why is the only video of Roxy Music's Triptych that I can find on youtube one that starts with two minutes of a guy in a t-shirt and baseball cap talking about how young people have no taste? Oh well.

Here is a live version of Psalm:

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

How about Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode?

davekyte

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davekyte

Dear God by XTC

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Broadway has brought us some hits that crossed over to the pop charts.

"Day by Day", from "Godspell"

"Superstar, from "Jesus Christ Superstar"

And,this one from the 70s was often sung in the folk masses.
"Put Your Hand in the Hand" by Ocean

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

God is God by Steve Earle (from I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive), also sung by Joan Baez (from Day After Tomorrow).

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Teegarden & Van Winkle - "God, Love and Rock & Roll"

The Edwin Hawkins Singers - "Oh Happy Day"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I'll go back and link later. N'stuff.

/sniffle

Wind Beneath my Wings

Also - CatCK was the only one to hit broadway with their responses?

Multiple songs from:
"Jesus Christ - Superstar"
"Godspell"

And one of my favorites:
"Go-go-Go Joseph" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, wherein God looks a little like Santa in the Donny Osmond version but has a whole stanza.

I'll have to go through my other faves to see if I can find a few that I missed. Because I'm sure there's quite a few.

rh48

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rh48

"Dropkick me Jesus Through The Goalposts Of Life" by Bobby Bare.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

I'm rather partial to Regina Spektor's "Laughing With". It's a great riff on "There are no atheists in foxholes." And it manages to be poignant at the same time.

BJGumby

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BJGumby

Sister Janet Mead added music to Jesus's lyrics and hit the Top 40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4iJkNCaZ8

mossygreen

Hey, wasn't "You Light Up My Life" about God?

Also, just for kicks:

When will the Music Monday topic be abortion and/or unplanned pregnancy so I can finally post "Rapid City, South Dakota"?

PS Back to God:

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Ignore the visuals, and celebrate just what the good lord has given us all...

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
Slydon wrote:That's not actually the meaning I was going for. To me, it's more like if you were enjoying a movie, and knew the director was sitting in front of you, you might want to pat him on the shoulder or say Wow, great job! And if you went into that movie thinking that the director was there in disguise, you might make the effort to be nice to everyone rather than offend someone who brought you such a good time.

To me, it's not a song about fear at all. It's just about respecting each other, because any one of us could be greater than we appear. Replace the word God with Superman, if it helps, and maybe you'll hear what I hear.

But we *are* all greater than we appear. That should be enough. I also echo your last sentence.

I can't find a decent tune about the FSM. I am disappoint.

singingfury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages singingfury

Not about God persay...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1m3XncKyL0

also by lovelite : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b01aAqZXqE

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:I can't find a decent tune about the FSM. I am disappoint.

Hmm, I never thought about it before, but that does seem wrong.

Recently I've been watching a fair amount of Devo videos and find myself thinking: this is like being indoctrinated into the Church of the Sub-Genius, if it is not actually being indoctrinated into the Church of the Sub-Genius (I think it might be). There must be some group doing something similar for the FSM.