wmessing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmessing

Dilbert is the greatest of all time

bstu185

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bstu185

Calvin & Hobbes taught me everything there is to know about life. I just bought the entire anthology for my 6 month old nephew.

cmackin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmackin

Peanuts is simply the worst comic of all time. Charles Schulz is a terribly depressing fraud of a human and reflects this in this terrible piece of trash.

ravynwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravynwolf

Family Circus was always a favorite.

Alkaholik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alkaholik

What? No Boondocks?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

Calvin & Hobbes

The Far Side / Bloom County

Dilbert

Peanuts

Everything else.

I've read a LOT of comics, including every last panel of all those named above.* Nothing ever approached the brilliance, humor and art (in combination) of Calvin & Hobbes. I had a really difficult time deciding whether Bloom County or The Far Side should be in second place, so they're grouped as a tie in my mind. Dilbert fluctuates between average and absolutely brilliant.

Respect to Peanuts, which was my first favorite as a child, but it never achieved the heights that the others mentioned above did.

All IMO, obviously.

* I may not have read every last panel of Peanuts; it's impossible to know.

prattl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prattl

Family Circus

jsbaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsbaker

Calvin and Hobbes by a long shot......best of all time!!
Bloom County was a good one though.

jld2k3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jld2k3
nelsontrek wrote:Dilbert!!!

Dilbert!

die13lda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages die13lda

The engineer/"nerd since childhood" in me put Dilbert and Foxtrot at the top of my list. Get Fuzzy is pretty great too. Caveat: I haven't read the funny pages in years, so I can't judge based on recent quality.

Baelzar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Baelzar

I'm glad Dingleberry is in the gutter, where it belongs.

Too bad about Bloom County - you young'uns don't know what you missed.

aletayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aletayr
die13lda wrote:The engineer/"nerd since childhood" in me put Dilbert and Foxtrot at the top of my list. Get Fuzzy is pretty great too. Caveat: I haven't read the funny pages in years, so I can't judge based on recent quality.

Precisely this.

moondigger

die13lda wrote:The engineer/"nerd since childhood" in me put Dilbert and Foxtrot at the top of my list. Get Fuzzy is pretty great too. Caveat: I haven't read the funny pages in years, so I can't judge based on recent quality.

aletayr wrote:Precisely this.

I too have been a nerd (STEM-style) since childhood, and have identified with so many ideas/themes/plots in Dilbert over the years it's scary.

But the analyst in me still recognizes the sheer brilliance of every aspect of Calvin & Hobbes. It's in another league.

As for the others on my list of greats: I'm not sure which of them you've read. The Far Side should appeal strongly to nerd types. Bloom County, less so, I guess... but it appealed strongly to me as a teenager. I recently re-read all of them in the Bloom County Complete Anthology, and it completely lived up to my fond memories. Maybe you have to be over a certain age to catch all the references, as it was often topical to then-current events.

I like Foxtrot a lot too, but it would fall slightly below Peanuts on my list.

moondigger

slagle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slagle

Nothing will compare with Rosebud, the X-15 Cruise Basselope.

moondigger

slagle wrote:Nothing will compare with Rosebud, the X-15 Cruise Basselope.

Yup.

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
philgonet wrote:**sigh** It's gotta be BLOOM COUNTY!
I sure do miss Bill the Cat...

Though C&H, Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine, Doonesbury and of course the classic POGO would also warrant a nod.

Calvin and Hobbes can't touch Bloom County or Dilbert for that matter!

How does Dilbert not even make this list!

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
Baelzar wrote:I'm glad Dingleberry is in the gutter, where it belongs.

Too bad about Bloom County - you young'uns don't know what you missed.

I know right!

Dilbert and Bloom County should be tied for first!

The only problem is that there was a lot of political satire in the Bloom County stuff and not everybody likes that.

teal32288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teal32288

Hellooooo? Garfield? No brainer!! A fat sarcastic cat who drinks coffee and kills spiders and beats things up? There is no better comic sir.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Frazz, even though I occasionally have to look up words or people that are mentioned.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Glad Calvin & Hobbes made it.

Seems people forget how drab the comics were before Watterson went bananas with Sundays "panel" layout and demanding half a page of space. Living in Denver at the time I was cheated because the Rocky Mountain News used a magazine layout and already had C&H at half a page (which was a quarter page if it had been a newspaper layout).

Beyond sharp wit C&H was art and many times made you feel smarter for having read it. Add to that the fact Watterson rejected licensing his creation despite losing perhaps millions of dollars and it's clear that Calvin & Hobbes stands head and shoulders above the rest for more than the sum of its punch lines.

I remember reading the last strip and even though I knew before hand it was the last one I still got a little choked up. So yeah, to quote Berke Breathed as drawn onto Binkley's t-shirt in (the also fantastic) Bloom County, Calvin & Hobbes Rules.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Calvin & Hobbes is the best multi-panel strip.

The Far Side is the best single-panel.

FoxTrot gets the nod for being most in touch with its time. Unfortunately that means a lot of the humor quickly became dated, or at least nostalgic.

The best non-humor newspaper comic was The Amazing Spider-man.