bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

I'm a geek.

I get tired of geeks telling everyone else what is best for them.

Much better to explain the differences and help a less informed person make the decision for themselves.

We have both Android and iOS devices and while I haven't lived on a Windows phone for a while I have played with the Nokia 900 series.

Most widely sold devices can be well liked by their users when they are a good match.

A large portion of smartphone users are clueless about the subtleties between devices/operating systems.

They simply want a solid smartphone to make calls, text, browse the Internet, use email, and perhaps play a few games.

This Nokia is a really solid phone and would make those users happy - without a contract - and at a reasonable price.

skiman10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiman10
bluemaple wrote:@gak0090, you might not like what @michaelvella said, but he did not indicate there was a difference between Apple & iOS - he simply used the two terms interchangeably.

Actually, he did indicate that there was a difference between Apple and iOS when he put an or between Apple and iOS, as in the sentence "but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple".

I too hate being told how stupid I must be not to do what another tells me to do because they think they know more about a particular subject. I work in the tech field and most that I have contact with wouldn't touch an iOS device. That being said, many use them also.

In other words, get over it. They all have pluses and minuses. In this case it looks like if you are looking for an unlocked phone at a reasonable price this is a pretty good deal. Especially if you're looking for a first phone for a son or daughter.

pgm888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgm888

Can anyone advize if this phone will work on verizons network?

bartdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bartdog
kevadu wrote:It's dead, sadly. Never mind that they were always more popular than this Windows Phone stuff, the Microsoft shill who is running Nokia now decided that they shall be no more.

The Nokia 808 (which is basically the successor to your N8) is Nokia's last Symbian phone. There will be no more.

The 808 is a friggin great phone, though. What a way to go out...

Stay tuned for the Nokia EOS. Not sure which carrier will have it yet. I think I read it will have similar MP oversampling to the 808 Pureview.

diette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diette

I'm on Verizon Prepaid. Will this phone work with that?

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek
HughHemington wrote:This phone is blown out routinely these days, and it's a good phone for $200.

I've had my Nokia 920 since they came out last year, and I'd say it's an INCREDIBLE phone. Too bad this is only the 900, which is a little disappointing, but I'm sure it's a very good phone as well. $200 is a bit much, though. If it were the 920, I'd say grab one for every member of the entire family.

donversluys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donversluys

I have a basic cell phone with U.S. Cellular. Could this phone replace mine with no data plan? Would it operate as a phone and get internet from Wi-Fi at home and at work?

chrisfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfrost
morninglark wrote:I'll like to hear from someone who has one and is using it daily. What carrier are you using it on? Is it a solid and trouble-free phone? Do you have to sync with a computer to operate the phone or only if you want to add additonal apps?

Thanks guys.

We went through two of these craptastic phones in less than a year. The charging port is easily broken, so allowing use by anyone with less-than-surgical fingers will likely kill the thing. It was on T-Mobile, so service was okay, but the paucity of apps was a real downer. The truth is that the "Windows Store" is nearly empty when compared to either Apple or Android. Remember, too: it's a WINDOWS phone! Think about your opinion of Windows versus Android regarding stability, ease of use, crash avoidance...Personally, I wouldn't use this phone if you paid me...seems like others in this thread are happy with it, though I don't see how...

FloridasunshineA1A

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FloridasunshineA1A

I ordered this phone about a month ago through another seller (ugh for $10 more). I currently am on Straight Talk. At the time I ordered it, I checked the Straight Talk website and confirmed that as long as it was an unlocked GSM phone compatible with AT&T network, that I could use it with ST for a one time fee of $14.99 for the SIM and the monthly fee ... well it took nearly a month for {unnamed crappy seller} to deliver my phone. In the meantime, apparently Straight Talk has switched over from AT&T sim cards to T-Mobile. Well, apparently this phone is not compatible with T-Mobile. So they will not send me a SIM card.

My question is: If I buy one of the bootlegged straight talk SIM's for aT&T off of ebay for around $50 (new ones)...
does anyone know if straight talk will still set it up/connect it to use on their plan? I can't seem to get a "straight" answer about that from straight talk. If not I guess I will have to change to net10 which I don't want to do.

chrisfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfrost
chrisfrost wrote:We went through two of these craptastic phones in less than a year. The charging port is easily broken, so allowing use by anyone with less-than-surgical fingers will likely kill the thing. It was on T-Mobile, so service was okay, but the paucity of apps was a real downer. The truth is that the "Windows Store" is nearly empty when compared to either Apple or Android. Remember, too: it's a WINDOWS phone! Think about your opinion of Windows versus Android regarding stability, ease of use, crash avoidance...Personally, I wouldn't use this phone if you paid me...seems like others in this thread are happy with it, though I don't see how...

OH, I FORGOT: no ability to add a memory card! Hope you don't have more than 14 gig of...anything.

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg
adcuthbert wrote:I searched the tmobile website and they do not have the 900 listed as a compatible phone for the plan. I don't know much about all this, but that means this won't work with tmobile..why?

This phone does not have the 1700MHz band for T-Mobile data. Unless your area has been retasked to operate at 1900MHz, you will only get EDGE on this phone with T-Mobile. Better off looking at the 521. Nokia also announced the 925 (Catwalk) today that will work on T-Mobile.

gswan74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gswan74
adcuthbert wrote:I searched the tmobile website and they do not have the 900 listed as a compatible phone for the plan. I don't know much about all this, but that means this won't work with tmobile..why?

I got this phone when it was on woot a few weeks ago. The phone service works great with t mobile however I can only get edge data and not 3/4G. But I love the phone so far, it is so much better than the android I had before or the iPhones that everyone I know has.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
skiman10 wrote:Actually, he did indicate that there was a difference between Apple and iOS when he put an or between Apple and iOS, as in the sentence "but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple".

I too hate being told how stupid I must be not to do what another tells me to do because they think they know more about a particular subject. I work in the tech field and most that I have contact with wouldn't touch an iOS device. That being said, many use them also.

In other words, get over it. They all have pluses and minuses. In this case it looks like if you are looking for an unlocked phone at a reasonable price this is a pretty good deal. Especially if you're looking for a first phone for a son or daughter.

@skiman10, respectfully, no. You might be nitpicking his grammar. He said some folks tried Android but went to iOS. Others stayed with Apple. That he thinks Apple and iOS are different is a leap - he merely used the terms interchangeably.

He uses Apple himself - do you really believe he could have done a single update without seeing iOS comes from Apple?

mtomm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtomm
mpanelo wrote:Please paint me a picture. Will this work with Straight Talk or any comparably priced plan? Thank you.

Just in case someone hasn't answered this question: Yes, it works just fine for ST. You will have to trim down the Sim card to fit this phone but my son did it this week successfully.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
bluemaple wrote:@gak0090, you might not like what @michaelvella said, but he did not indicate there was a difference between Apple & iOS - he simply used the two terms interchangeably.

"from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple." The way this is worded incorrectly implies that they had 2 different choices, either to go to iOS or to stick with Apple. I exploited it based on the rest of the content in his post. I knew exactly what he was trying to say.

What is the point of being redundant? The statement would have made more sense if he just stated "from Android to iOS"

marimvibe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marimvibe
skiman10 wrote:Actually, he did indicate that there was a difference between Apple and iOS when he put an or between Apple and iOS, as in the sentence "but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple".

Let's rewrite that sentance with only iOS:

...but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with iOS.

As in, they went from Android to iOS or always had iOS.

As it pertains to Windows Phone, I've gone from a Focus I bought pre-NoDo to a 920. For the most part I haven't really felt lacking for apps. Being Nokia, you get Here Drive, which is a very nice nav app compared to the standard WP7 offering. If you're heavily invested in either Apple or Google services, it's going to be easier to use iOS or Android, obviously, though WP works pretty well with iTunes and Gmail. And it's rock solid, I'll go weeks between resets with no instability.

Only real downside of WP7.8 is that it isn't compatible with many of the new apps coming out that are native code, and so will only work on WP8. It's not a complete deadend for WP7.8 (MSFT has promised at least one more minor update,) but app development is probably about done. Equivalent to buying a Gingerbread Android.

And then there's the fact that you can get a 520 for less, which runs WP8 and has expandable memory and a supersensitive touch screen (was very handy on the 920 during ski season.) I'd probably go with that if you're looking at this.

dshirt62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dshirt62

Will this phone work in Europe?

marimvibe

chrisfrost wrote:We went through two of these craptastic phones in less than a year. [...] Remember, too: it's a WINDOWS phone! Think about your opinion of Windows versus Android regarding stability, ease of use, crash avoidance...

The second statement makes me question the validity of the first. WP can be on for weeks at a time with no stability problems, and the learning curve is nonexistent. My girlfriend was trying to get to a desktop version of a page on her Android phone, searched the settings for a couple minutes, then just grabbed my phone and switched over in all of 5 seconds. Stuff like that is just stupid easy in WP.

mnr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnr3

anyone want to do a rundown on the nokia 521 vs this phone? I've been looking for a while and seems like the 521 hardware might be lesser---camera, processor, etc.

ki4rxm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ki4rxm

For those comparing specs of this phone to others: note that the important thing about this listing is that the phone is unlocked.

marimvibe

mnr3 wrote:anyone want to do a rundown on the nokia 521 vs this phone? I've been looking for a while and seems like the 521 hardware might be lesser---camera, processor, etc.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=2204302-1451724

Camera wins big on 900, processor and storage win on 521 (dual core over speed, expandable memory, though WP is naturally smooth in either case,) software win for 521.

Camera is the only reason to go 900, really. No flash, 5MP, and lower quality lens on 520/521.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
MaxAwesome wrote:There's no official Google Voice app for Windows Phone 8, either. There are, however, third party apps that work just fine for both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8.

None of the 3rd party apps do what Talkatone or GrooVeIP do (VOIP via GV). WP7. x has no native SIP support either. I am told WP8 does have SIP support built in the kernel but I have yet to see a good usable SIP app.

I really like the call strength and quality of Nokia phones I have owned but sorry, I could do more of what I wanted with an old Symbian based Nokia than a WP one. Maybe WP8 will develop but WP7.x is dead and to me was pretty useless even though I tried to like it.

If one wanted to try WP I would suggest getting a WP8 phone like the Nokia 521 at Walmart for $130. At least you will have a phone with some future development still happening. If you like the 521 then you can decide to upgrade to a higher end WP8 later.

mnr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnr3
marimvibe wrote:http://www.nokia.com/global/products/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=2204302-1451724

Camera wins big on 900, processor and storage win on 521 (dual core over speed, expandable memory, though WP is naturally smooth in either case,) software win for 521.

Camera is the only reason to go 900, really. No flash, 5MP, and lower quality lens on 520/521.

thanks. saw the no flash on 521. the latter also wins on price and OS I guess.

mistabernie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistabernie

I've run the gamut of smartphones over the last few years (iPhone 3GS -> HTC Inspire -> Lumia 900). Of the three, I've kept the Lumia the longest (over a year now) and given that I still have it, I'm pretty happy with it (it's true, I have historically gotten new phones almost every year).

There are lots of things I like about the Lumia - the overall design, size and feel of the phone is very nice. I haven't had any issues with broken charging ports, etc, and let's just say I'm not always 'delicate' with my tech. All the buttons respond appropriately and the screen responds to touch the way it did when I took it out of the package.

Windows 7.8 (even 7) is intuitive, stable and moderately pleasing on the eyes. The ability to customize the layout definitely surpasses the iPhone and even the HTC. In fact, when I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8, my contacts ported in automatically when I synced up my Windows Live email address from my phone (which I wasn't even anticipating).

Call quality is usually pretty good (any problems I have are usually network related, and usually it's not the fault of the providers). Even the voice recognition works pretty well.

Obviously, it's not the end-all, be-all. There are shortcomings - it's last generation's technology (predecessor to the Lumia 920), the phone cannot upgrade to full Windows 8, no native ability to capture a screenshot, and the Windows apps are nowhere near catching up to iOS/Android, which was something I hoped that would at least improve in. Finally, while I'm biased in that I own lots of expensive photography equipment, I'm not really all that impressed by the camera on this phone (it works, but I would rather go through the trouble of carrying a decent point and shoot and import to my iPad than use the camera on my phone). I guess that's not really a dig on the phone itself though, as I felt pretty much the same way about the camera on the HTC Inspire.

All in all, for an unlocked smartphone, I think this is still a pretty good value if you're looking for a reliable smartphone without a contract.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
gak0090 wrote:"I loves me my Iphone" says it all. I'm sure your IT department is stellar. By the way iOS = Apple, I would think that being such an Apple fan, you would know that. Hopefully you had enough hold outs left that knew how to actually run your IT department.

Um, why would you even ask that about iOS?

michaelvella

Right, STUCK WITH APPLE meaning they never were tempted to use something else like an Android phone.
Not that hard to follow.

gak0090

I think today's offering is a decent deal, for certain people looking for an unlocked cell phone. Unfortunately this will not give you near the range of apps that Android and Apple have- but for a lot of people this might not be an issue.

Nokia is a great hardware manufacturer and I have always been a fan of MS even though I am also critical of them. The problem here lies in that the whole windows phone is an example of too little too late. Unless MS puts a lot more effort into this and app development opens up, they will never be a real competitor with apple or Android. Remember the Zune? I bought one of these as a refurb off of woot years ago. I loved this thing even better than the classic IPOD I had at the time- but it was too little too late unfortunately. MS missed their time to get into the market and despite having a good product, they missed the bus. I think the windows phone might be headed the same path.

vatchman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vatchman

Is this better than a 3 year old Blackberry AT&T phone whose trackball is no longer working?

gak0090

michaelvella wrote:Right, STUCK WITH APPLE meaning they never were tempted to use something else like an Android phone.
Not that hard to follow.

I knew exactly what you meant, but when you start being critical of other things without applying much logic then people become critical of you. If you are going to bash something you'd better have your ducks in a row.

jimbolodisc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimbolodisc

I wouldn't recommend this phone to a lot of people, but at $200 I would definitely say it's a great deal for a smartphone. No, it won't have all the apps of the other guys, but the rest of the phone is still pretty great. It makes calls, it texts, it goes online, it has navigation, it has some fun games... it covers all the basic needs of a smartphone.

marimvibe

ki4rxm wrote:For those comparing specs of this phone to others: note that the important thing about this listing is that the phone is unlocked.

521 is available unlocked.

redrotors

marimvibe wrote:521 is available unlocked.

Not for $130 at wallyworld. You can pay an unlocker or activate it with t-mo and then request an unlock but they will make you wait 30-90 days (I have found the time period is very YMMV, sometimes you get a more helpful rep.)

marimvibe

redrotors wrote:None of the 3rd party apps do what Talkatone or GrooVeIP do (VOIP via GV). WP7. x has no native SIP support either. I am told WP8 does have SIP support built in the kernel but I have yet to see a good usable SIP app.

I really like the call strength and quality of Nokia phones I have owned but sorry, I could do more of what I wanted with an old Symbian based Nokia than a WP one. Maybe WP8 will develop but WP7.x is dead and to me was pretty useless even though I tried to like it.

If one wanted to try WP I would suggest getting a WP8 phone like the Nokia 521 at Walmart for $130. At least you will have a phone with some future development still happening. If you like the 521 then you can decide to upgrade to a higher end WP8 later.

Symbian is even more a power user-targeted OS than Android. WP8 is for the 99% of people that don't need those capabilites.

jbsocialwork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbsocialwork
MaxAwesome wrote:There's no official Google Voice app for Windows Phone 8, either. There are, however, third party apps that work just fine for both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8.

Would you be so kind as to direct us to those? Thanks!

michaelvella

gak0090 wrote:I knew exactly what you meant, but when you start being critical of other things without applying much logic then people become critical of you. If you are going to bash something you'd better have your ducks in a row.

It's an opinion, stop being such a baby.
And not just an opinion, but an observation that an entire building of IT folks and engineers that can have any phone they want mostly all use the iPhone, many of them after trying an Android phone.
I've played with all of them, and iOS is far more polished and just plain works better.
There's better support, more apps (that always work, as well) and the device itself is pretty much bullet proof.
I'm a windows engineer and don't own an Apple computer at the moment, but I use my phone all day every day and I'll take it over anything else.

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

This thread has become proof that Sheldon Cooper succeeded in cloning himself.

redrotors

marimvibe wrote:Symbian is even more a power user-targeted OS than Android. WP8 is for the 99% of people that don't need those capabilites.

You mean many of those 99% wouldn't want /use free calling over wifi/3G? I don't agree.

I am no power user. Maybe I benefited from Symbian being aimed at "power users" (geeks?)) though. Whenever I wanted to do something with a Symbian phone I just searched around and usually someone had already done it so I just followed along. I have older and non power-user friends and relatives that all mourn the loss of their Symbian based Nokias. Except for one, none of them were power users, not even close. One clings tenaciously to her old e71.

In any case WP Nokias don't do enough tasks that it is a deal breaker for me. I owned a WP 7.x for 10 mo. and have used a borrowed WP 8 for a few weeks. I will be keeping my eye on WP8 as it develops and may pick one up at some point.

redrotors

jbsocialwork wrote:Would you be so kind as to direct us to those? Thanks!

If you are looking for something that can do what Talkatone or GrooVeIP does he can't because they don't exist.

You can look at Metrotalk but you will be disappointed. I mention it because it seems to have good dev. and dev. has made promises re future features to put it closer to Talkatone etc.

muol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muol

Unlocked does unfortunately not mean unbranded. These appear to be branded by AT&T. So except that ugly carrier logo, you can expect a modified firmware. In that regard AT&T may not be as bad as Verizon, but still, branding remains a deal breaker for me.

lacotomo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lacotomo

Sorry to deviate from the product, but I work from home, and as a result do a lot of things on my phone for work when traveling to see clients, etc. I use spreadsheets, word docs, and pdf files. I have a Android phone now and have been pretty happy, although battery life sux and it is a bit quirky at times. My contract is up and I can get the new S4, iPhone 5, or wait on the new Windows phone. With outlook and Microsoft suite on it, is WP8 even in the conversation.

As an overview, I am on my phone a ton, lots of apps, music(I have Amazon mp3 and iTunes), pictures, etc. but I do a ton of emails and editing of docs for work. I have mobile VIOP work phone app installed and my database app installed too. I get unlimited data(Sprint).

Would love to hear opinions about this.

Oh, please don't correct my grammar and nitpick my question, you big sissys.