redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
lacotomo wrote:Sorry to deviate from the product, but I work from home, and as a result do a lot of things on my phone for work when traveling to see clients, etc. I use spreadsheets, word docs, and pdf files. I have a Android phone now and have been pretty happy, although battery life sux and it is a bit quirky at times. My contract is up and I can get the new S4, iPhone 5, or wait on the new Windows phone. With outlook and Microsoft suite on it, is WP8 even in the conversation.

As an overview, I am on my phone a ton, lots of apps, music(I have Amazon mp3 and iTunes), pictures, etc. but I do a ton of emails and editing of docs for work. I have mobile VIOP work phone app installed and my database app installed too. I get unlimited data(Sprint).

Would love to hear opinions about this.

Oh, please don't correct my grammar and nitpick my question, you big sissys.

My best advice is to check the WP store to see if the apps you use have a WP version. If you are considering this phone make sure they are WP7.x compatible (not WP8 only). I can say I am 99.9% sure you won't find your VOIP app. Won't happen, ever, for WP7.x, maybe someday for WP8.

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
michaelvella wrote:It's an opinion, stop being such a baby.
And not just an opinion, but an observation that an entire building of IT folks and engineers that can have any phone they want mostly all use the iPhone, many of them after trying an Android phone.
I've played with all of them, and iOS is far more polished and just plain works better.
There's better support, more apps (that always work, as well) and the device itself is pretty much bullet proof.
I'm a windows engineer and don't own an Apple computer at the moment, but I use my phone all day every day and I'll take it over anything else.

Look I can go on and on and continue to embarrass you, but I'll just leave it at this- if you are trying to make a point about something being superior, try and back it up with more than "my IT friends all switched to Apple so it must be better".

To make this statement: "Even these "dated" phones as some are calling them have it all over Android, which is STILL not ready for prime time and a clunky excuse for a phone OS." is pure nonsense- so if you are going to have an opinion like that it's fine, but I will mock you especially when you don't make any valid points to back it up. I could refer a to a slew of articles that would contradict your statements but I hope that being an IT engineer, you might know how to Google them for yourself (or maybe Safari has a search engine you could use).

gak0090

toonvox wrote:This thread has become proof that Sheldon Cooper succeeded in cloning himself.

LOL

anilpillai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anilpillai
marimvibe wrote:Let's rewrite that sentance with only iOS:

...but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with iOS.

As in, they went from Android to iOS or always had iOS.

As it pertains to Windows Phone, I've gone from a Focus I bought pre-NoDo to a 920. For the most part I haven't really felt lacking for apps. Being Nokia, you get Here Drive, which is a very nice nav app compared to the standard WP7 offering. If you're heavily invested in either Apple or Google services, it's going to be easier to use iOS or Android, obviously, though WP works pretty well with iTunes and Gmail. And it's rock solid, I'll go weeks between resets with no instability.

Only real downside of WP7.8 is that it isn't compatible with many of the new apps coming out that are native code, and so will only work on WP8. It's not a complete deadend for WP7.8 (MSFT has promised at least one more minor update,) but app development is probably about done. Equivalent to buying a Gingerbread Android.

And then there's the fact that you can get a 520 for less, which runs WP8 and has expandable memory and a supersensitive touch screen (was very handy on the 920 during ski season.) I'd probably go with that if you're looking at this.

This.

adilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adilla
gak0090 wrote:Look I can go on and on and continue to embarrass you, but I'll just leave it at this- if you are trying to make a point about something being superior, try and back it up with more than "my IT friends all switched to Apple so it must be better".

To make this statement: "Even these "dated" phones as some are calling them have it all over Android, which is STILL not ready for prime time and a clunky excuse for a phone OS." is pure nonsense- so if you are going to have an opinion like that it's fine, but I will mock you especially when you don't make any valid points to back it up. I could refer a to a slew of articles that would contradict your statements but I hope that being an IT engineer, you might know how to Google them for yourself (or maybe Safari has a search engine you could use).

QFT

jnemesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnemesh

Stay FAR away from this phone! It's based on the now obsolete Windows Phone 7 platform. New apps WILL NOT RUN ON IT! Useful only if you are masochistic and don't like apps.

YFZblu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages YFZblu

Whenever Woot posts a product for Windows, iOS, or Android, select special posters credentialize themselves - if your point isn't valid/thoughtful enough to stand on its own, calling yourself an 'IT Analyst Admnistrator of the engineering GODS' isn't going to help.

kthx.

darkchylde13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkchylde13
ocg wrote:
As for everyone who says this is out of date... guess what, all phones go out of date too quickly, that's why they keep selling new models!

Actually it is because they keep selling new models that the old ones go out of date so fast. If there were no new models, the old ones would never be out of date. lol Solid post though, thanks.

strowal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strowal
skiman10 wrote:Actually, he did indicate that there was a difference between Apple and iOS when he put an or between Apple and iOS, as in the sentence "but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple".

I too hate being told how stupid I must be not to do what another tells me to do because they think they know more about a particular subject. I work in the tech field and most that I have contact with wouldn't touch an iOS device. That being said, many use them also.

In other words, get over it. They all have pluses and minuses. In this case it looks like if you are looking for an unlocked phone at a reasonable price this is a pretty good deal. Especially if you're looking for a first phone for a son or daughter.

Basically, he is saying people switched to Apple (iOS) from Android or stuck with Apple (iOS). His wording is fine. Just used Apple and iOS interchangeably in the same sentence. The "or" refers to how "switching to" or "sticking with" iPhones.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

resident babysitter checking in.
let's try to keep things friendly, here.

thanks!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

skiman10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiman10
strowal wrote:Basically, he is saying people switched to Apple (iOS) from Android or stuck with Apple (iOS). His wording is fine. Just used Apple and iOS interchangeably in the same sentence. The "or" refers to how "switching to" or "sticking with" iPhones.

Do you really want to go down this road? Okay...

The sentence fragment "...but every person but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple." is poorly constructed and frankly makes no sense whatsoever. If they were "hold outs" were they Android users? That would make more sense given the context of the post. But, if they were "hold outs" then how would they "stick with Apple"? What were they "holding out" on?

Again, all of these phones have advantages and disadvantages, but to claim that "Because I'm a techie I know best" is simply opening yourself up for ridicule.

EDIT: And, after rereading the quoted text above again I understand better what he was trying to say with the "but for a few hold outs". I assume the "hold outs" are the malcontents who stuck with Android phones. All the smart people moved over to iPhones or were already using iPhones. Got it.

Carry on!

gak0090

PemberDucky wrote:resident babysitter checking in.
let's try to keep things friendly, here.

thanks!

lyonsjames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyonsjames

A beautiful device, and the OS is a very nice user experience. THIS MAY NOT WORK WITH YOUR BUSINESS EMAIL IF YOUR COMPANY REQUIRES DEVICE ENCRYPTION. I bought it in the last offer, was in love for an hour with all my personal info on it, but could not add my business info to it because our Exchange ActiveSync requires device-level encryption. I sold mine for $200 a day later. It worked fine with my T-Mobile SIM card in New York City (check the frequencies for the device and your area to see if you can get the high-speed data). This is a great deal on a really nice phone.

redrotors

“Do you think they’ll ever stop fighting all the time?”

“I don’t know, I think they kind of like fighting.”

http://youtu.be/Z19vR1GldRI

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
ericshmerick wrote:Sound advice. Or the lumia 521, which is basic, locked to T-Mo, runs Win8 and is only $129 at Walmart (out the door price - use on prepaid, postpaid, etc.).

I have a 521 but it's not replacing my N4 any time soon.

That's a heck of a deal for a no contract phone. Good looking phone too. I do like the Windows Phone UI, but like most people the lack of apps is the real deal breaker for me.

GirlB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GirlB

I have Beyond Talk with Virgin Mobile & love it. But can this phone be used with that? I'm not knowledgeable in this stuff. Am I reading correctly? If this phone does work on VM's network, would I have to buy something else to get the phone going?

marimvibe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marimvibe
powermatt wrote:That's a heck of a deal for a no contract phone. Good looking phone too. I do like the Windows Phone UI, but like most people the lack of apps is the real deal breaker for me.

Out of curiosity, what are the must-have apps?

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
marimvibe wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the must-have apps?

The BIG one for me is Google Voice. I use it heavily. And the way it tightly integrates into Android seriously kicks ass. I'm also a big Google Drive user for note taking on my Nexus 7. There's no 7" Windows 8 hardware that even exists yet. Ten inch tablets are a bit too big for my preference.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
skiman10 wrote:Do you really want to go down this road? Okay...

The sentence fragment "...but every person but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple." is poorly constructed and frankly makes no sense whatsoever. If they were "hold outs" were they Android users? That would make more sense given the context of the post. But, if they were "hold outs" then how would they "stick with Apple"? What were they "holding out" on?

Again, all of these phones have advantages and disadvantages, but to claim that "Because I'm a techie I know best" is simply opening yourself up for ridicule.

No one else seemed to have a problem getting what I said. Only a couple crybabies.

And actually, I'd hold my observations of the direction I've seen many/most of the engineers I know much higher than reviews on websites.

It's funny how worked up people get over an opinion.
I have no agenda about Apple/iOS other than I've messed with all these things and one works better than the other, IMO. I'm not an "apple fan boy" as I've never owned a Mac or even an ipod (till my first iphone). I tested, examined and came to a personal conclusion. And observed others.

I've considered the Android OS to be a joke from day one, and as it continued to "develop", I still think it's crap compared to iOS AND what's running on all the Windows phones.
I wanted to like it immediately because of it's openness and what have you, but It's still clunky and not that intuitive at all.
The screens are pretty on a lot of the phones, though. So you got that going for you. Almost as nice as my retina display.

APB24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages APB24

Can this be used to replace a Zune HD? I could use another Zune in case my current one ever dies.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
powermatt wrote:That's a heck of a deal for a no contract phone. Good looking phone too. I do like the Windows Phone UI, but like most people the lack of apps is the real deal breaker for me.

Yeah, lack of apps. For example, you can only get two different apps for Windows Phone 7 that make your phone look like an old-school Star Trek communicator, as opposed to the seven dozen available on IOS or Android.

Redundancy is a feature, damnit!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gak0090 wrote:

i have a big image of Officer Barbrady that i pull out when things get really heated.

"ALRIGHT PEOPLE."

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

skiman10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiman10
michaelvella wrote:No one else seemed to have a problem getting what I said. Only a couple crybabies.

And actually, I'd hold my observations of the direction I've seen many/most of the engineers I know much higher than reviews on websites.

It's funny how worked up people get over an opinion.
I have no agenda about Apple/iOS other than I've messed with all these things and one works better than the other, IMO. I'm not an "apple fan boy" as I've never owned a Mac or even an ipod (till my first iphone). I tested, examined and came to a personal conclusion. And observed others.

I've considered the Android OS to be a joke from day one, and as it continued to "develop", I still think it's crap compared to iOS AND what's running on all the Windows phones.
I wanted to like it immediately because of it's openness and what have you, but It's still clunky and not that intuitive at all.
The screens are pretty on a lot of the phones, though. So you got that going for you. Almost as nice as my retina display.

Yes, I am a crybaby.

And, yes, the Retina display was top-notch... Until it was eclipsed by Samsung's Galaxy S4 ( iPhone 5's Retina Display pushes out an astounding 1136x640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch, while Samsung used an HD Super AMOLED screen and beefed up the resolution on the Galaxy S 4 to a impressive 1920x1080 at 441 pixels per inch).

Oh, wait... This is a discussion about a last gen Windows phone for $200. Seems like a good deal for an unlocked phone.

michaelvella

skiman10 wrote:Yes, I am a crybaby.

And, yes, the Retina display was top-notch... Until it was eclipsed by Samsung's Galaxy S4 ( iPhone 5's Retina Display pushes out an astounding 1136x640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch, while Samsung used an HD Super AMOLED screen and beefed up the resolution on the Galaxy S 4 to a impressive 1920x1080 at 441 pixels per inch).

Oh, wait... This is a discussion about a last gen Windows phone for $200. Seems like a good deal for an unlocked phone.

Especially one that's not Android. Even better.

gak0090

michaelvella wrote: Almost as nice as my retina display.

Once again you fall short. My HTC Rezound (from 2011) display is 1280 X 720 has 342ppi to your retina display (iPhone 4 is 640×960 and the iPhone 5 is 640×1136) 326ppi. I can do this all day. To say you prefer Apple over Android is an opinion- you should have stopped there- because everything else you said is pure ignorance.

bartdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bartdog
dwicker wrote:I've used this phone daily for a little over a year. AT&T is my carrier. The phone is quite trouble-free. There have been zero freezes in that timeframe, unlike my old iPhone that would freeze daily and require resets. You do have to update this phone via a computer, but being that Windows Phone 7.8 is the final update that this phone will ever see, you should be able to do the update and never plug it in again. Bonus, if you have a Wireless-G router, you can sync and add music, videos, and media wirelessly (but the wireless sync is not compatible with any higher speeds than Wireless-G).

The biggest drawback to any Windows Phone is the lack of apps. Most of the big hitters are available, aside from Pandora. But most app developers don't really see Windows Phone as being a profitable platform.

It's really a solid phone, and if I didn't have the gadget itch to upgrade to a new Galaxy, I'd keep this phone for years.

FWIW, Pandora is available for WP8 and it's awesome. Free (for a limited time) with no commercials or ads of any kind.

marimvibe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marimvibe
powermatt wrote:The BIG one for me is Google Voice. I use it heavily. And the way it tightly integrates into Android seriously kicks ass. I'm also a big Google Drive user for note taking on my Nexus 7. There's no 7" Windows 8 hardware that even exists yet. Ten inch tablets are a bit too big for my preference.

Well, Google apps aren't going to be available or as good on any platform that isn't run by Google. Anything that isn't Google, there's pretty much a replacement for.

bahboe1249

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bahboe1249

I apologize in advance for the silly questions, but here goes:

(i) Will this phone work on verizon wireless?

(ii) Could I use this phone purely to make calls (ie, without buying a data plan?) and use the wifi for internet? I ask because this phone would be a gift for my mother, who would have wifi access around the clock at work, and would not need the 3g/4g whatsoever.

I asked a Verizon rep a while back about whether I could just buy an iPhone and not get a data plan as well, and was told that that was not possible. It seems somewhat "unfair" that you HAVE to get a data plan to use a smartphone, but I suppose most people only get a smartphone for that very purpose. For my mother's purposes, I just want her to continue challenging herself with new tasks to keep her mind active (but I digress..)

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

-D

michaelvella

gak0090 wrote:Once again you fall short. My HTC Rezound (from 2011) display is 1280 X 720 has 342ppi to your retina display (iPhone 4 is 640×960 and the iPhone 5 is 640×1136) 326ppi. I can do this all day. To say you prefer Apple over Android is an opinion- you should have stopped there- because everything else you said is pure ignorance.

Jump, monkey, jump.

vashvi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vashvi

I'm choosing between this phone and the Lumia 620; any thoughts?

DarthJay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthJay

As somebody who has been with Windows Phone since the beginning, I can say this WAS a fantastic phone a year ago. If you're stuck in your contract for more than a year, then this is a decent deal...but if you can hold out your time and money for the 920 (AT&T), 928 (Verizon) or 924/5? (T-Mobile) - then wait.

Windows Phone 8 is far superior to the Windows 7.8 upgrade they are are giving to the old devices. Most of all, you'll find the hardware can't handle most of the newer apps out there, and that would be a frustrating thing to find out after you spend $199 on a phone.

Overall, though, as somebody who came from the iOS world - I can say that Microsoft's phone, though late to the game, is far superior in most ways to anything else out there. Yeah, yeah...haters gonna hate.

-----------------------------------------
(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

redrotors

marimvibe wrote:Well, Google apps aren't going to be available or as good on any platform that isn't run by Google. Anything that isn't Google, there's pretty much a replacement for.

Please show me VoIP and SIP replacements or any way I can make non min. using calls via wifi and/or 3G. Texts via wif w/o using cell data? That is just for starters. If you come up w/those I have nearly half a dozen things I do w/either Symbian / Android / iOS devices that cannot be done on WP or are so involved to do / poor results / poorly executed that it is just not worth it.

DarthJay

By the way, it's hilarious watching all the comments from the Apple and Android fan-boys. LOL!

Every word you speak makes this commercial more true...

(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

redrotors

bahboe1249 wrote:I apologize in advance for the silly questions, but here goes:

(ii) Could I use this phone purely to make calls (ie, without buying a data plan?) and use the wifi for internet? I ask because this phone would be a gift for my mother, who would have wifi access around the clock at work, and would not need the 3g/4g whatsoever.

I asked a Verizon rep a while back about whether I could just buy an iPhone and not get a data plan as well, and was told that that was not possible. It seems somewhat "unfair" that you HAVE to get a data plan to use a smartphone, but I suppose most people only get a smartphone for that very purpose. For my mother's purposes, I just want her to continue challenging herself with new tasks to keep her mind active (but I digress..)

-D

1. Will not work on Verizon.

2. Depends on carrier.

If you want to stick w/VZ (coverage/signal issues?) my suggestion is to buy a used VZ phone (VZ iPhone 4s in good condition goes for around $200 on CL around me) and flash it over to page plus. Page plus is the VZ prepaid network and no data required. They have monthly plans (some inc. data) or you can buy 2000 min. for $80 good for one year.

If she has good wifi most of the time she will be able to save her min. by setting up a google voice # and then using an app called Talkatone to make calls via wifi w/o using plan min., also free texting (not visual)

If you do this MAKE SURE you buy a phone that was/is on VZ network and make sure VZ does not show it as lost/stolen under contract or $ owed.

Not all people w/smartphones want or need data all the time, some just want a robust calendar and contacts vs. their dumbphones, some will argue that a smartphone w/o data is stupid but I disagree, for some it works just fine.

redrotors

redrotors wrote:“Do you think they’ll ever stop fighting all the time?”

“I don’t know, I think they kind of like fighting.”

DarthJay wrote:By the way, it's hilarious watching all the comments from the Apple and Android fan-boys. LOL!

Every word you speak makes this commercial more true...

So I wasn't the only one ;)
(but I beat you to it)

DarthJay

-D

I have an old Samsung Focus Flash (Windows Phone 7.8) that I keep around without a SIM card so my kids can play the games, so I know this OS will work just fine without a data plan. A couple of things to note...it will remind you every time you log into it that there is no SIM card or cellular connection. It will still want you to setup a LIVE account so you can connect to SkyDrive, Music, Store, etc. It seems to work just fine that way for me, though.

DarthJay

redrotors wrote:So I wasn't the only one ;)
(but I beat you to it)

LOL - didn't see your post. Sorry to steal your thunder.

***bows to the omnipotent power rightly deposed on the original poster***

redrotors

DarthJay wrote:LOL - didn't see your post. Sorry to steal your thunder.

***bows to the omnipotent power rightly deposed on the original poster***

NP, just had to tease you though

gak0090

-D

I think Verizon is out because of the whole GSM vs CDMA network thing.

Straight talk might save you some $$ and it looks to be compatible based on the link below.

http://straighttalkwindows.com/activating-nokia-lumia900-straight-talk

redrotors

gak0090 wrote:I think Verizon is out because of the whole GSM vs CDMA network thing.

Straight talk might save you some $$ and it looks to be compatible based on the link below.

http://straighttalkwindows.com/activating-nokia-lumia900-straight-talk

As long as you can live w/t-mo signal coverage.