blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
klandon61 wrote:Am on the market for new phone and a T-Mobile user - Nokia Lumia 521 is $130 and has Windows 8. Hard to beat.

Don't forget to factor in the 2 year contract. That's the big advantage of an unlocked phone such as this.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
blue_94_trooper wrote:Don't forget to factor in the 2 year contract. That's the big advantage of an unlocked phone such as this.

NO contract on that 521 from Wallyworld. That's why it's a pretty good deal and a cheap way to find out if WP8 (as opposed to WP7.x which is the deadened for the 900 being sold here) is for you.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
michaelvella wrote:Jump, monkey, jump.

Good Comeback. Did Siri help you come up with that?

DarthJay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthJay
klandon61 wrote:Am on the market for new phone and a T-Mobile user - Nokia Lumia 521 is $130 and has Windows 8. Hard to beat.

You might want to hold out for the Lumia 925 if you're on T-Mobile...

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-nokia-lumia-925-tmobile-20130514,0,4856414.story?track=rss

-----------------------------------------
(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

redrotors

DarthJay wrote:You might want to hold out for the Lumia 925 if you're on T-Mobile...

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-nokia-lumia-925-tmobile-20130514,0,4856414.story?track=rss

Nearly 5x the cost though. Better make d@mm sure you are happy with WP8 before making a +$600 investment!

DarthJay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthJay
redrotors wrote:Nearly 5x the cost though. Better make d@mm sure you are happy with WP8 before making a +$600 investment!

$600 before any of the T-Mobile incentives. I'm sure they'll offer it at a decent price for new contracts and renewals. The Lumia 920 was a $600 phone and I got it with a wireless charger for $99 from AT&T on a contract renewal back in December...

-----------------------------------------
(to change to a non-Woot avatar - go to https://account.woot.com and click on the "add connection" link in the top right corner of the connections box. Once you've linked to the other accounts, you can use that avatar)

redrotors

DarthJay wrote:$600 before any of the T-Mobile incentives. I'm sure they'll offer it at a decent price for new contracts and renewals. The Lumia 920 was a $600 phone and I got it with a wireless charger for $99 from AT&T on a contract renewal back in December...

T-mo will finance it (600/24) and they may offer a discount with a contract although they are now trying to brand themselves as the "no contract" cell company.

You paid way more than $99 for that phone, just over time on your contract. What would the ETF have been if you canceled a month or two into that contract?

ocg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ocg
darkchylde13 wrote:Actually it is because they keep selling new models that the old ones go out of date so fast. If there were no new models, the old ones would never be out of date. lol Solid post though, thanks.

Yes, I apologize, I got it backwards

I'll also add that I have been dropping my phone onto concrete a lot lately, and haven't even had any problems after that. I do have an iFrogz Cocoon Case on it, though.

And one completely non-technical reason I love it... it's bright blue. I realize that may not be a positive for everyone, but I guess that's why it also comes in white ;)

chrisfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfrost
sschumac wrote:Can I use my SIM card from my Verizon Galaxy S3 in this unlocked phone?

No. It has a proprietary SIM. Sorry.

extech01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages extech01
messyt wrote:If you read the reviews on amazon.com be sure to filter by newest review first. This phone is becoming dated and after people have used it for a while, you can read the quirks about this phone. Also keep in mind, the next samsung galaxy 4 will have eye ball scrolling making the screen touch free. Also, apple will be reveiling a new iphone in Sept. woot is a last ditch effort to make a small amount of money on stuff That is about to tank in value, or it is a site for amazon to get rid of useless inventory while making a hefty profit from suckers.

"this phone is becoming dated"

What is not dated 6 months after launch? EVERYTHING

When you buy a lumia either the 900 or 920 you are buying in to the Microsoft ecosystem. And if you are running wp8, you can now enjoy near seamless integration with your desktop and tablet if you want to go that route. If you can live today with the basic apps being there and not the 10 zillion that google and apple/developers have (android/ios-)this is a good investment. I'm more productive with wp8 then I ever was with ios, or android.

redrotors

The only thing a Verizon SIM card does in USA Verizon phone is LTE (data). Actually if you stick a Verizon SIM in an unlocked GSM phone you will get nothing (no service) AFAIK.

redrotors

extech01 wrote:"this phone is becoming dated"

What is not dated 6 months after launch? EVERYTHING

When you buy a lumia either the 900 or 920 you are buying in to the Microsoft ecosystem. And if you are running wp8, you can now enjoy near seamless integration with your desktop and tablet if you want to go that route. If you can live today with the basic apps being there and not the 10 zillion that google and apple/developers have (android/ios-)this is a good investment. I'm more productive with wp8 then I ever was with ios, or android.

Being stuck at WP7.x (this phone) is more like being on a iOS device (a 3G) that is stuck at 4.2.x and will never be able to update. Where is iOS now, 6.1.x? I think you are doing the less knowledgable buyer a BIG disservice by closely equating WP7.x with WP8.

Audioman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Audioman1

Is this considered a Smart Phone? We just got a new car with something called Entune and I was wondering is this will work with it.
We have a old pay as you go phone that we pay a $100 a year for service. we don't use a cell phone much..

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
gak0090 wrote:Good Comeback. Did Siri help you come up with that?

"Cannot predict now"

redrotors

Audioman1 wrote:Is this considered a Smart Phone? We just got a new car with something called Entune and I was wondering is this will work with it.
We have a old pay as you go phone that we pay a $100 a year for service. we don't use a cell phone much..

What is it that you want your phone to do with your Entune equipped car?

portseventeen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages portseventeen

I've developed for the Lumia 900 (for my thesis work) and used it during that time. Its a reasonable phone, the hardware is great and its extremely sturdy. The lack of WP8 is pretty devastating though.

I was able to get a Samsung Galaxy SII for $250, I find that to be overall a better device. Better apps, still powerful (especially with the recent Jellybean release).

If you are tied into the Windows Universe and on a budget/not a big smartphone user, this is a solid and powerful phone. Otherwise, skip it.

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek
chrisfrost wrote:The truth is that the "Windows Store" is nearly empty when compared to either Apple or Android. Remember, too: it's a WINDOWS phone! Think about your opinion of Windows versus Android regarding stability, ease of use, crash avoidance...Personally, I wouldn't use this phone if you paid me...

I have no idea why you'd say all this. lol I started out on Android, and Windows Phone is FAR superior as an OS. Also, my 920 is a work of art, beautiful, fast, never a crash (ever), and the interface is amazing compared to Android and iOS, which feel 10 years behind.

I will never own another phone other than my top-notch Windows Phone.

bek

Audioman1 wrote:Is this considered a Smart Phone? We just got a new car with something called Entune and I was wondering is this will work with it.

Yes, it is very much a smart phone. I have no idea if it'll work with Entune, though. Sorry, never heard of Entune.

mrblonde5446

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrblonde5446

If i want to use this phone for straight talk, will it work with AT&T towers, and or Verizon towers? They are about the only cell company's i get service with.

redrotors

mrblonde5446 wrote:If i want to use this phone for straight talk, will it work with AT&T towers, and or Verizon towers? They are about the only cell company's i get service with.

not with Verizon
yes with At&t but good luck getting a straight talk SIM card for At&t unless you happen to already own one.

redrotors

bek wrote:Yes, it is very much a smart phone. I have no idea if it'll work with Entune, though. Sorry, never heard of Entune.

Entune is Toyotas "infotainment" system and when you look up phone compatibility on the Entune site for the 900 you get an awful lot of red X not available and blue ? not tested. Other than the basic pairing functions pretty much any new car can do these days there is a lot that Entune can't do with the 900, none of which may matter to the OP which is why I asked what it is he wants the phone to do with Entune, OP never bothered to respond.

Branlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Branlee
michaelvella wrote:Even these "dated" phones as some are calling them have it all over Android, which is STILL not ready for prime time and a clunky excuse for a phone OS. I work in IT and we're all a bunch of dorks, but every person but for a few hold outs went from Android to iOS or stuck with Apple. The hold outs tend to be those people that say "I don't like Apple" - whatever that means - and usually admit that iOS is the better of the two when truly compared.
That said, I loves me my iphone, but these Nokia's are awesome as well. Super tempted to get one to fool with it for a while. Excellent price. Friend of mine had this and now the 920 and couldn't be happier.

That is quite a funny post. I am assuming it is satire.

Branlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Branlee
redrotors wrote:Being stuck at WP7.x (this phone) is more like being on a iOS device (a 3G) that is stuck at 4.2.x and will never be able to update. Where is iOS now, 6.1.x? I think you are doing the less knowledgable buyer a BIG disservice by closely equating WP7.x with WP8.

Know what you're talking about much?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nokia+900+7.8+update

redrotors

Branlee wrote:Know what you're talking about much?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nokia+900+7.8+update

Yes, I do. Even w/o your useless goggle search link (and actually most of the articles that come up in that search back up my points, did you even bother to read?).

The 900 will never get WP8. WP8 is a major change / update, a totally new kernel. The number of WP apps/updates that are released each week that are WP8 only keeps growing. The most recent updates to WP7.x (7.8 which has been around since the begining of the year, even though the At&t 900 did not "oficially" get it until recently) are not much more than cosmetics to make WP7.x "LOOK" more like WP8 but it is purely illusion. Even MS has said WP7.x is EOL and will get nothing more, ever.

The person who knows not much re WP is obviously you.

bek

redrotors is correct when he said that this Nokia 900 cannot move from Windows 7 to 8. Windows 7.8 is as new an update as you can get for this phone. You will not get Windows 8.

That is assuming, of course, you don't try some hack trickery. I have no idea if you could wipe it and put WP8 on there yourself somehow (you'd have to look that up), but 7.8 is definitely the newest version supported for the Nokia 900.

chouyeh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chouyeh
nicolevonmick wrote:Probably a dumb question, but those anyone know if you can use these phones outside of the US aswell? I'm really keen on getting this one.

Most of my phones are unlocked.. Motors, BBM and many others. Most of them I use overseas SIM chips and worked just fine...
This will be another unlocked phones in my collection...

mrblonde5446

There was nothing on the AT&T factory packaging about the phone being unlocked. How do i tell if it actually is? Is there a menu i check on the phone?

jhudelson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jhudelson

I don't know how many of you are coming back here for information after purchasing one of these, but here is what I've figured out. First - the phones arrived and they are very nice looking devices. I'm wanting to use these on the Straight Talk network.

The phone requires a Micro Sim card. You cannot purchase a Micro sim from Straight Talk or Walmart. They have discontinued sales of them, apparently over a contractual dispute with AT&T.

They can be purchased after market on EBay or Amazon at a greatly increased cost. Some 'smart' people bought up all of the inventory after Walmart announced they were discontinuing and they are re-selling these. I found a couple for $35 each on Ebay.

From what I'm reading online, Straight Talk is continuing to allow new activations with these cards.

Net10 has micro sims available for their network. I'm reading too much negativity about Net10 online. Seems a bit risky to me. I live in a rural area and coverage isn't an assumed thing.

TMobile offers a free micro sim with their no contract option for $60.00 per month. That was almost attractive enough to make me choose them over Straight Talk. But, in the end, I'll pay a bit more for the sim cards now in order to get the lowest montly cost on what appears to be a reliable service.

Good luck. I'd be interested to hear from others on their experience.

mirrorless

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mirrorless

Just received mine today. It came in an AT&T box and had AT&T apps preloaded right down to the boot screen. However, when I plugged in my PTEL sim card, it booted up and found the network - so the phone is indeed unlocked as advertised! Others have commented on the features & quality of the phone. This is to note that the phone was an AT&T-branded phone that was unlocked.

mrblonde5446

I checked my imei number on IMEI.com, and this site said the phone is LOCKED. Woot will not return any e-mails i send them, so can anyone please help with what i should do to resolve this?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mrblonde5446 wrote:I checked my imei number on IMEI.com, and this site said the phone is LOCKED. Woot will not return any e-mails i send them, so can anyone please help with what i should do to resolve this?

Sorry for the problem. CS is very good about answering in about one business day. Have you checked your spam folder? We end up there a lot.

I'm pinging CS from this end to help out.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders