olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Any serious soap opera, like Mary Worth, Apt. 3D, Judge Parker...
And ANY strip where the original author has been dead more than 10 years. (Nancy, Gasoline Alley, Ally-oop)

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
nellb123 wrote:PEANUTS is the worst "comic" ever. It is not funny at all & that includes the holiday TV specials every year. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I don't know what the obsession is with this junk.

AubriGryphon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AubriGryphon

When I was young, Cathy was merely boring. It wasn't until I got older that I realized how corrosive it was. I mean, think about it -- it's about a single woman in the workplace, and the sum total of her life involves neurotically obsessing about her appearance, her age, and the fact that she's single.

That said, the worst comic is BC. The guy hasn't even tried in years. He just skates by on a thin layer of Christian schmaltz.

prfesser

quality posts: 7 Private Messages prfesser

Zippy the Pinhead

prfesser

RKett wrote:There was a strip in our paper for a couple of years called "Zippy" I think, it was bizarre. It had a main character who looked like a clown out of your nightmares with a cone head and a little bow on top. If this sounds familiar, somebody please tell me what the hell was going on in it.

"Zippy the Pinhead" - Yes. I listed it as the worst comic strip of all time. I think only the "upscale" newspapers in big cities published it, because everyone else knew it was crap.

sbmellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbmellen

prfesser

meanolthing wrote:Rose is Rose. The approach given with each strip is best summed up by Lisa Simpson: I'll pump 'em so full of sap they'll be blowing their nose with a pancake!

You're onto something here - I always felt the cartoonist has this thing about characterizing all men as being flaming homosexuals. I am not being a homophobe here - I just thought Brady's way of characterizing men (like her father) as saying something like "Ooohhh, the clothes are to DIE for!" was just way too gay.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Mallard Fillmore. Yes, there is a place for politics in the comics section. But at least try to be a little funny and clever about it instead of just parroting talking points and stereotypes.

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737

I originally voted "Cathy", but then remembered the abomination known as "Mutts" that's in our local paper. It's not really that funny, and they will run "gags" into the ground.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Mallard Filmore. Conservative humor? That's an oxymoron.

battra92

quality posts: 4 Private Messages battra92
TXAG96 wrote:+1 I can get snarky political commentary elsewhere.

Hear Hear! The worst part is that he thinks he's a genius based on the fact that other hacks in the newspaper industry pats him on the back from people of the same political beliefs.

I'm amazed at the Peanuts hate here! Peanuts (especially the original strips from the 50s and 60s) are absolutely brilliant. Yes, Schultz became the very thing he despised (a crass commercial sellout) but what genius hasn't?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
circusninja wrote:I could not agree more. It belongs in the politics section, not the comic section.

Mallard Fillmore and Doonesbury are both in the comic section and I just deal with it.

Family Circle is the worst because of its pandering and useless outlook on life. It's "kids say the darndest things" except the darndest things are just inane.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

How anybody could call "Peanuts" the worst comic of all time is beyond my capacity to understand. I get not being a fan of the sly humor or the arcane (and often brilliant) historical references, but worst of all time? Seriously? If you think it's the worst, do the world a favor by walking to the edge of the highest cliff in your area, and then taking one more step. I'm so enraged right now I could pass for Cathy.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
nellb123 wrote:PEANUTS is the worst "comic" ever. It is not funny at all & that includes the holiday TV specials every year. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Ditto. And the Orlando Sentinel for some reason still runs them. Hello...1974 called! They want their comics back! They are so dated.
I'd love to see them rerun Calvin & Hobbes.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

wdstss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdstss
brewmaster411 wrote:Doonesbury. Definitely the worst.

Depends upon your political affiliation.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
strawhousepig wrote:Everything and anything from Chick Publications. That stuff is just evil.

Oops! I guess these aren't technically (or at all) newspaper comics.

So... Brenda Starr?

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
fuzzypeaches wrote:Ditto. And the Orlando Sentinel for some reason still runs them. Hello...1974 called! They want their comics back! They are so dated.
I'd love to see them rerun Calvin & Hobbes.

Funny that Peanuts is one of Watterson's greatest influences. And still great. :p

McGuffy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages McGuffy

Marmaduke looks like it was drawn by a third grader with advanced Parkinsons. Awful.

gilbert900

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gilbert900

Calvin and Hobbess will always be my number one. Pearls before Swine comes at a close second.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
strawhousepig wrote:Funny that Peanuts is one of Watterson's greatest influences. And still great. :p

I read that too. But I still love Calvin & Hobbes....and can't stand Peanuts. I'm an enigma.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley
toasterbicycle wrote:No mention of Marmaduke?

Yes! So painful I'd forgotten it. Ugh! Now you reminded me. : (

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley

Prince Valiant - is it even still around? Awful!
The Phantom even worse! It gives 'stupid' a bad name!

mitchelrivers369

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchelrivers369
circusninja wrote:I could not agree more. It belongs in the politics section, not the comic section.

Agreed

theking75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theking75

Voted for Family Circus, but I would have voted for Andy Capp if it was on the list.

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

Peanuts

peebag

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peebag
mossygreen wrote:Dondi?

Yep - hands down

peebag

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peebag

pretty much anything not named "Life in Hell"

Pamini

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pamini

Broomhilda. Oops, showing my age here.

But what's with "Love Is...?" Why are they naked in the strip, except when they go to the beach she puts on a bikini?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
sbmellen wrote:Definitely http://www.candicomics.com.

Technically, that's a webcomic. And I can't decide if that's better or worse than the Love-it-or-hate-it Dominic Deegan (which is ending its 10-year run). I won't link it because I don't want to send trolls to a comic that already HAS a troll party.

I hate to see DD go, actually. When it was good, it was very, very good. But I think the trolls on the forum ate away at Mookie's soul. And self-esteem.

Moueska

MsChis wrote:Mark Trail. UGH! I wish the local rag would drop that one!!

I felt so sorry for Mark because he had not humor in his life. I guess it should get my vote.

johnnyboy311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnyboy311
knn7496 wrote:Agreed! I was surprised to see it on the"best" of poll

That's what I thought as well. Between Cathy ("Ackkk!") and Prince Valiant, around 12% of the Sunday comic square footage was wasted.

Moueska

I have to give Cathy props. I was a tweenager in the late 1990's when I found some of the 70's and 80's nostalgia-laden Cathy books and actually found her to be alternately a woman who was easily early pre-chic geek trying to fit into a buisness-professional environment and a woman who was trying desperately to get out of "crazy cat lady" mode and date successfully without having to resort to dating Jim from Garfield. Both instances were gently tempered by her self-esteem and mood swings, which are actually pretty true to what does happen to some of us women out here.

Doonesbury was formative in a different way for me. I hated it until I got caught up. And by caught up, I mean that in Junior High, I finally understood what the Watergate scandal was and that it had nothing to do with water. So when I started to pick up my dad's Doonesbury collections, I worked my way through them by alternately bugging my dad and going "HAH! I GET THAT!". Today, I know why Zonker is crazy, why BD is crazy, too. I know why Mike is a yutz. I know how they all came into the mature characters that they actually are today - because they HAVE matured.

But the Lockhorns were terrible.

One last note - the current batch of comics are less self-depricating and more "Let's be Ironic! It's funny!", which just makes my day worse.

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1
brewmaster411 wrote:Doonesbury. Definitely the worst.

I couldn't agree more!!!

gary9635

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gary9635

Actually, Peanuts is the BEST comic of all time. Charles Schulz broke cartooning ground that was never before broken. There are dozens if not hundreds of "cartoonists" today that are riding Schulz's coattails and ripping off his innovations and trying their best to mimic his humor, but failing miserably. I should know. Many are my colleagues.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Lio

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gary9635

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gary9635

I've got to bail on this thread before I blow a gasket. Before leaving... the Peanuts haters out there should do a quick Google on the strip and read how cutting edge Peanuts was for its time, how brilliant the humor and innovative the workings of Schulz. Most cartoonist today would not be so were it not for Charles Schulz. Many strips wish they were Peanuts, including Pearls before Swine, but succeed only in ripping off the timing, panel layouts, sarcasm, and formulations of Peanuts. Most cartoonists today, myself included, aren't worthy to gather the eraser rubbings of Sparky Schulz. The man was a cartooning god, and even the hacks who emulate him will admit that much.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
gary9635 wrote:I've got to bail on this thread before I blow a gasket. Before leaving... the Peanuts haters out there should do a quick Google on the strip and read how cutting edge Peanuts was for its time, how brilliant the humor and innovative the workings of Schulz. Most cartoonist today would not be so were it not for Charles Schulz. Many strips wish they were Peanuts, including Pearls before Swine, but succeed only in ripping off the timing, panel layouts, sarcasm, and formulations of Peanuts. Most cartoonists today, myself included, aren't worthy to gather the eraser rubbings of Sparky Schulz. The man was a cartooning god, and even the hacks who emulate him will admit that much.

+1, and want to add:

Between this discussion and the "best comics" discussion, it's really funny to see how many people hate Peanuts and Doonesbury, but claim that Calvin & Hobbes and Bloom County are their favorites. The simple fact is that Calvin & Hobbes would not exist if Peanuts didn't come first (Watterson has said this repeatedly) and Bloom County wouldn't exist if Doonesbury didn't come first. Reading Berke Breathed's notes in the Bloom County Complete Library, you repeatedly see comments like:

"...I'd never read any comic besides Doonesbury."

"...the talking mirror is a warmed-over Garry Trudeau routine from his Yale strip, alas. I apologized some years later."

Referring to one of his own Bloom County characters (Limekiller), Breathed said he was, "a sloppy retread of Doonesbury's 'Duke.'"

None of this is to say that Peanuts and Doonesbury are better than Calvin & Hobbes and Bloom County, respectively. That's a completely subjective consideration, and I, for one, think both of the latter comics are superior to their forebears. But the artists themselves would be the first to explain how important the earlier ones were.

And for Peanuts, that would include not just Watterson, creator of Calvin & Hobbes, but literally dozens of comic artists, including the authors of almost every one of the favorites listed on the favorites discussion.

And besides... dropping all considerations of how groundbreaking and influential Peanuts was, it was still funny and poignant like no other comic. I feel a little sad that seemingly so few people are capable of recognizing or appreciating that.