kingalias

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingalias
roadcoach wrote:Read the Amazon negative reviews carefully. The camera has a systemic problem which Nikon has never acknowledged. Do not buy this without an extended warranty.

I've owned the camera for a year (over 12k images) and I didn't have a single issue with it. Honestly, you should put this camera on your insurance anyway when you get to this level of camera.

Eduard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eduard
clungstrum wrote:I'm torn right now as I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on the D3100 and now this deal pops up. I also found a deal at BuyDig.com for the D3100 at $496.95 + F/S, and includes two lenses so I'm not sure which to go with. Any recommendations from those that have much more experience as this will be my first DSLR. I'm thinking get the better camera here and then if I decide I need another lens later I can purchase then.

You'll be happier with the D5100.

DigMe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages DigMe
Eduard wrote:You'll be happier with the D5100.

D5100 vs D3100

The D5100 has better dynamic range, better high-ISO, better controls for video along with an external mic jack, higher res articulating LCD, bracketing mode and HDR in-camera and it shoots at a higher burst rate.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

sorry... double post below. Wish I could edit and delete.

Dunder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dunder

I have this camera and its WONDERFUL. I paid a LOT more than this at Target. I highly recommend it and the price is WOOTarific!! The pictures are incredible and the portrait mode surpasses anything a small camera does and better than Canon.

russwjohns

acraigl wrote:Purchased this camera about a year ago for my wife as a starter DLSR. Its a very good camera with lots of options to grow into. Highly suggest getting an alternate lens with more range (I got the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX).

All this said she never takes it off 'auto', so I own the most expensive point-and-shoot ever. Sigh.

Hmmm... Whose camera?? ;^)

scubalizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scubalizard

same price at Nikon store

cw30755

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cw30755

I bought the D5100 for myself for Christmas, also to replace my Nikon D60. Since I had the starter lens I got the body only for just under $350, so $420 for the body+lens is an awesome deal. I haven't shot any video with it, but I love the shots it takes, especially with my 35mm 1.8, which is an amazing lens for the price.

russwjohns

DigMe wrote:D5100 vs D3100

The D5100 has better dynamic range, better high-ISO, better controls for video along with an external mic jack, higher res articulating LCD, bracketing mode and HDR in-camera and it shoots at a higher burst rate.

True to all; however, most of those features would probably never be used by a first time dslr user except the flexible positioning LCD.

That double lens kit is probably the VR 18-55mm and VR 55-200mm lenses. Will take great pics outdoors and indoors (when within the built-in flash range). A neophyte can get used to the camera and features and later sell off the kit lenses and get faster glass later as the need arises.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

Just want to add to what others have noted already in case someone is keeping tabs - this is an outstanding camera and a great value here.
I highly recommend if you buy this to get the new(er) 35mm f1.8 as your first prime lens. There is no better lens for the money.
But the 18-55 should be just fine for just about anything. It's very sharp and light.
Out in the used market, if you want a longer zoom, check ebay for the old version of the VR 18-200mm. They can be had for a bargain usually.

russwjohns

DigMe wrote:This is a great camera for an amateur who doesn't need a few advanced features that it doesn't have such as commander mode and high-speed sync (the ability for the flash to sync above 1/200 shutter speed). Those are two things that I use quite often that would keep me from using this camera in my photography business but otherwise it is an awesome camera that can produce spectacular images. I own the D5000 that I have used as a personal camera when I need something smaller for travel, etc..

If you buy this camera I also suggest looking into buying the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX lens. It will really open up your ability to shoot in low-light and it's a great bang-for-buck walkaround lens.

brad

The flash sync isn't too bad considering that it is faster than earlier models such as the D40, D40X, D60, and D80; which is why I've hung onto my D70S with 1/500th sec flash sync speed (great for outdoors action fill flash). And a cheaper AF 50mm f/1.8D lens is good for low light. Sadly, as you mentioned the D3000 and D5000 series cams need the $200 AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX lens to autofocus which is great. see linked review http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

As to the neg review on Amazon, they deal with people having what appears to be a production defect affecting either a faulty imager or shutter which results in suddenly getting black images when shooting and their complaint is that Nikon hasn't addressed the issue.

CaptJHEM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptJHEM

I purchased a D5100 body for a lot more than the Woot price for this kit more than a year ago and have never regretted the purchase. The D5100 body effectively retired my D100 and D200 bodies and relegated them both to standby duties.

As Ken Rockwell so aptly states in his positive review of this body, it's an apt upgrade choice for the non-professional over the much more expensive D7000 body. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

There are limitless choices in lenses available for this DX body style, and my personal favorite is the Nikkor 18-200mm VR. If you can afford it, and don't mind the additional weight, consider possibly going for the 18-300mm version. Like Ken, my 18-200mm VR lens is my choice for everyday use and covers almost every shooting eventuality.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/DX-super-zooms/

kwelipatton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwelipatton

Which is a better buy this or something like this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Kit-USA-/360512339018?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item53f035bc4a

Ahhzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ahhzz

Personal Owner, LOVE this camera, excellent pics, good battery life. Put a good class 10 SD card, and go to town. Auto settings are excellent for the beginner, and allows for learning the manual really well. The Diorama mode looks pretty cool, too with the right shot

DigMe

russwjohns wrote:True to all; however, most of those features would probably never be used by a first time dslr user except the flexible positioning LCD.

That double lens kit is probably the VR 18-55mm and VR 55-200mm lenses. Will take great pics outdoors and indoors (when within the built-in flash range). A neophyte can get used to the camera and features and later sell off the kit lenses and get faster glass later as the need arises.

The high-ISO would absolutely be used by neophytes who are just setting it to Auto or Program mode and shooting away in low light because the camera is going to choose high ISOs in those situations.

brad

DigMe

russwjohns wrote:The flash sync isn't too bad considering that it is faster than earlier models such as the D40, D40X, D60, and D80; which is why I've hung onto my D70S with 1/500th sec flash sync speed (great for outdoors action fill flash).

The D40 would also sync to 1/500. Different shutter just like the D70. I wasn't complaining about the 1/200 max sync speed which is pretty standard... my point was it won't do high speed sync. All of the other cameras above the 5000-series (D90, D7000, D7100, D600, etc.. ) will sync up to their max shutter speed of 1/4000 or 1/8000 via high speed sync. I use this often in my photography business but most amateurs won't need it.

brad

russwjohns

ritb wrote:This is a great camera, I have its upgrade d5200 which is 24mp and allows manual focussing during video. But after buying camera, u'll be willing to click different kinds of photos and trust me within a few days u'll be wanting to buy a new lens. So, while buying the lenses u'll realise that cheaper lenses won't autofocus with d5100 or d5200, because these cameras don't have focus motors built into them, therefore, u need to buy the lenses with built-in focus motors. Those are not cheap. Thats why I would recommend the first time buyer to go for canon instead of nikon. If u are committed to buy nikon then buy d7000/d7100 or d90 etc. Do not trust snapsort for comparison. Because I have seen much sharper pics from 550d than my d5200. It is the lens which makes the difference. Most DSLR can produce great images if the photographer is good. Good Luck.

This camera will have the buyer thinking they've become a great photographer regardless of which lens they use. And while Canon and Pentax make excellent cameras and have been doing so for more than 50 years, they are not NIKON. If you already have Canon lenses for 35mm film cameras you might want to go with Canon digital but for hand held work, you can't beat Nikon.

And as you know, all Nikon glass is expensive and as the aperture size gets larger with faster glass, the price increases exponentially. ;^)

boudin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boudin

I didn't see. Is nikon refurbished?

mark2114

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mark2114

The Amazon reviews have this a recurring theme...
Out of the blue, all pictures taken were pitch black.

Nikon D5100 is notoriously known for the stuck shutter problem. Mine died after 3000 actuations.
Poor quality control, such a shame :-(

After very minor use it is only taking total black pictures.

The D5100 was a great camera for about 5 months. All of a sudden images where black.

Maybe the reason there are enough refurbs for a Woot sale...

vatchman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vatchman

Can't go wrong with any Nikon DSLR. Buy it if you can afford it.

legacy5k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legacy5k
mark2114 wrote:The Amazon reviews have this a recurring theme...
Out of the blue, all pictures taken were pitch black.

Nikon D5100 is notoriously known for the stuck shutter problem. Mine died after 3000 actuations.
Poor quality control, such a shame :-(

After very minor use it is only taking total black pictures.

The D5100 was a great camera for about 5 months. All of a sudden images where black.

Maybe the reason there are enough refurbs for a Woot sale...

Yeah, very likely. This is one of those cases though where refurbs might actually be BETTER than buying new. If there is a very common problem that is occurring on a product then perhaps the refurbs are actually far less likely to encounter this issue as it has already been encountered by the previous owner and a newer revision of the offending component may be inside the product now instead.

Not saying that this is definitely the case here, but it seems likely to me and I'm not afraid to order this beast.

mtnhrdgr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2

I have taken 15,000+ shots with my D5000 since I bought it new in late 2009. This camera still performs flawlessly and has been very durable. From all reviews I have read, the D5100 performs better than the D5000. I would assume that the reliability and longevity will be the same.

I know 15,000+ shots sound like a lot (at least to me it does), but I took complete advantage of the multishot capability to take pics of my sons playing sports. It has taken awesome action shots. For example, I like to take shots of my boys swinging the bat during baseball games. This camera is fast enough to capture an average of about 3 shots during my sons' swing.

mattatsiuc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mattatsiuc
clungstrum wrote:I'm torn right now as I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on the D3100 and now this deal pops up. I also found a deal at BuyDig.com for the D3100 at $496.95 + F/S, and includes two lenses so I'm not sure which to go with. Any recommendations from those that have much more experience as this will be my first DSLR. I'm thinking get the better camera here and then if I decide I need another lens later I can purchase then.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD3100GKT2

The buydig deal looks tempting at first glance, but keep in mind the 55-200mm lens is nifty but it's NOT the VR (vibration reduction) version, therefore it's pretty cheap.

As a D3100 owner, I'd say the differences between the D3100 and D5100 are mostly minor (e.g., a few extra megapixels), and their value will vary person-to-person. For example, the D3100 lacks an input for an external mic (during video recording) which is a pain. It also doesn't work with a remote shutter switch. Still, for a new owner I agree that the better LCD on the D5100 is probably the one feature that will distinguish the two models. Otherwise they're quite comparable.

scubalizard wrote:same price at Nikon store

Looks like it's about $35 more at the Nikon store:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.242455300

clungstrum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clungstrum
mattatsiuc wrote:The buydig deal looks tempting at first glance, but keep in mind the 55-200mm lens is nifty but it's NOT the VR (vibration reduction) version, therefore it's pretty cheap.

As a D3100 owner, I'd say the differences between the D3100 and D5100 are mostly minor (e.g., a few extra megapixels), and their value will vary person-to-person. For example, the D3100 lacks an input for an external mic (during video recording) which is a pain. It also doesn't work with a remote shutter switch. Still, for a new owner I agree that the better LCD on the D5100 is probably the one feature that will distinguish the two models. Otherwise they're quite comparable.

Thanks for your response and everyone else who responded to my question. I decided to go with the D5100 here. Figured I could always buy another lens later if I found a need for it.

brentjcook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook

I'm just curious...why does the Woot! photographer always shoot DSLRs with the pop up flash popped up? Nowhere else do you see that in DSLR product shots. It doesn't make it look cooler/better in any way. In fact it has the opposite effect. Anywhoozle, just wondering.

brentjcook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brentjcook
mattatsiuc wrote:Looks like it's about $35 more at the Nikon store:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.242455300

And $15 shipping. $50 more all things considered.

mattatsiuc

brentjcook wrote:And $15 shipping. $50 more all things considered.

Thanks! Sorry I was too lazy to check shipping. ;)

icartb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icartb

I've had this camera for some time now. It replaced a Konika Minolta. I LOVE it. Great quality of pictures, ease of use, loads of lens options (as a separate purchase) and it isn't a heavy camera. I recently received a free Fuji Finepix HS50 EXR, a point and shoot camera that has all the features of a dslr camera but with only one lens. One POWERFUL lens. (It costs as much as this one does here.) I'm bringing this up because this is one heck of a camera and when you compare the shots side-by-side you can't even tell they were from two different computers. (Remember, the Fuji is NOT your average point and shoot. Here is some information about that camera: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS50EXR-Digital-Camera/dp/B00ATM1MGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368728943&sr=8-1&keywords=Fujifilm+FinePix+HS50EXR

I'm using my Fuji more for reasons of simplicity but not for quality. They both are great cameras. If you buy the Nikon you will NOT be displeased. (Just a note: There are lots of books to help you out if you're new to the Nikon 5100 family.) One more piece of advice: Unless you plan on switching out lenses, get a holster bag/holder. Much easier to carry and use. I have AmazonBasics brand (yes, another free item ). Enjoy!

ScottRiqui

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ScottRiqui
brentjcook wrote:I'm just curious...why does the Woot! photographer always shoot DSLRs with the pop up flash popped up? Nowhere else do you see that in DSLR product shots. It doesn't make it look cooler/better in any way. In fact it has the opposite effect. Anywhoozle, just wondering.

The first reason that pops to mind is that they may want to make it abundantly clear that the camera does in fact have a built-in flash.

With the flash in the 'down' position, the body contours of the flash-equipped Nikons and the non-flash models are pretty similar.

skayal72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skayal72

I ordered one this morning from Woot and saw a better deal on BestPricePhoto.com. It says "New".

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm VR Lens
Condition : New
MFG Model# 25478
$439.95

http://bestpricephoto.com/h/product_info.php/nikon-d5100-digital-slr-camera-with-1855mm-vr-lens-p-20286?zmap=20286&zmac=2&zmas=1&zmam=80512835&csv=pg&osCsid=4597d209a0d1014daf702c2efa29858d

peteynice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages peteynice

This is a really good deal on a nice camera. I have had it since February and am super impressed. I agree with the suggestion of the 35mm prime. It is a really sweet lens for the price.

See how a D5100 captures an always moving puppy (Shots before Feb on a Panasonic ZS6) at http://iothecorgi.com.

Also recommend picking a flash bouncer/diffuser on eBay. Makes low light indoor shots much better.

rfavero2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfavero2

This is my first potential purchase through Woot where I thought I may need a warranty. Is there a way to get an extended warranty when purchasing through them?

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

Damn you, Woot! You have tempted me with a great camera and I might buy it even though I'm a lousy photographer. I always think that a good camera will inspire me to take better photos. If I buy this and it collects dust I'm going to be mad.

kalee11

quality posts: 30 Private Messages kalee11

Would anyone be willing to advise me on this one versus the D3200? The resolution difference is possibly my biggest concern, but this is such a great deal, I don't know if I can pass it up.

x6

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose

I'm convinced. Going to take this on my honeymoon...

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD3100GKT2

I'm a Canon man myself (have the T3i from Woot), but that deal on the D3100 looks pretty good for the price with the extra lens included. Good Luck !!

mattatsiuc

skayal72 wrote:I ordered one this morning from Woot and saw a better deal on BestPricePhoto.com. It says "New".

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm VR Lens
Condition : New
MFG Model# 25478
$439.95

http://bestpricephoto.com/h/product_info.php/nikon-d5100-digital-slr-camera-with-1855mm-vr-lens-p-20286?zmap=20286&zmac=2&zmas=1&zmam=80512835&csv=pg&osCsid=4597d209a0d1014daf702c2efa29858d

Good thing you didn't buy from bestpricephoto -- it's the standard "New York" electronics scam. See the burned customers (and ultra-fake reviews!) here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/bestpricephoto_5

If you're not familiar with this particular species of sales technique:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/camera_scams

NeutronNed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeutronNed
SESteve wrote:Damn you, Woot! You have tempted me with a great camera and I might buy it even though I'm a lousy photographer. I always think that a good camera will inspire me to take better photos. If I buy this and it collects dust I'm going to be mad.

Works for golfers! Better clubs = better game. Right!?!?

NeutronNed - trying to stay neutral...

kagamari

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kagamari

Head up that this lens wont be the greatest lens, it is just a kit lens which will be pretty adequate but far from perfect. If you do get a filter for this, don't cheap out. A good filter will cost a bit, but it wont distort the image any (DSLR cameras don't need a UV filter, the camera can compensate for it on its own).

Also.. do not MF this lens while its set to an Autofocus setting, I know pentax has something that counter this called Quickshift, not sure what ts called on nikon, but using MF while in AF can damage the lens.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
NeutronNed wrote:Works for golfers! Better clubs = better game. Right!?!?

Oh, you mean my golf clubs that are sitting in storage gathering dust? You know me too well.

I bought the damn camera. I'm sure I'll hate myself for doing it in a couple months.