hellboy999

quality posts: 5 Private Messages hellboy999

the lens alone goes for 150 bucks. so the camera is going for about 280 bucks. Only gotcha is it only uses lens with build in silent motor focusing. so if you are thinking of using older lens, you are out of luck.

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
hellboy999 wrote:the lens alone goes for 150 bucks. so the camera is going for about 280 bucks. Only gotcha is it only uses lens with build in silent motor focusing. so if you are thinking of using older lens, you are out of luck.

Not true for most Nikkor lenses newer than mid 80's. For example the D series and G series lenses will meter properly BUT you must manually focus the lens and the camera can even assist and confirm focus by showing a Dot icon in the viewfinder when in focus. This isn't difficult people. All my early 35mm film camera's were manual focus and took great pictures starting with my first Asahi Pentax Spotmatic through my Pentax Super Program ME.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

The vast majority of people who buy this camera will not use 95% of its' features. They will keep it on automatic and use it as a point and shoot camera - which is fine. To that end Cannon's equivalent (model I can't remember right now) is just as good with the added benefit you can use older Cannon lenses which you can't do with this one.

russwjohns

showcaller wrote:The vast majority of people who buy this camera will not use 95% of its' features. They will keep it on automatic and use it as a point and shoot camera.

Sadly true...

showcaller wrote:To that end Cannon's equivalent is just as good with the added benefit you can use older Cannon lenses which you can't do with this one.

True again. One can't use older Canon lenses with this modern Nikon digital camera. ;^)

amuzik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amuzik

I've made some b-movies and shoot live bands, etc. I would be using this camera almost exclusively for video. I've read a work around for the manual controls during video shooting. Other than the 20 minute/4gb record time cap, can anyone weigh in as to if this is a good deal for videography? Or are the quarks and limitations too much of a headache?

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Perhaps I should have clarified. It goes without saying you can't put a Cannon lens on a Nikon body and visa versa. What I assumed people would deduct is while you can put an older lens on a new Cannon body you can't put an older Nikon lens on a new Nikon body.

russwjohns wrote:True again. One can't use older Canon lenses with this modern Nikon digital camera. ;^)

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
showcaller wrote:Perhaps I should have clarified. It goes without saying you can't put a Cannon lens on a Nikon body and visa versa. What I assumed people would deduct is while you can put an older lens on a new Cannon body you can't put an older Nikon lens on a new Nikon body.

There are some focusing and metering issues that people will need to investigate as it pertains to this body, but your statement is not correct.
Then there is the D800 and the D7000 (which I have) that will work perfectly with pretty much any Nikon lens made in the last like 40 years..
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr

justinrageth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinrageth

How does this compare to the canon t4i?

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
justinrageth wrote:How does this compare to the canon t4i?

Both will take great photos, but my personal recommendation to anyone buying a DSLR for the first time is to visit your friendly local camera shop, bring a card and ask to be shown a few models and see what feels best for you.

russwjohns

showcaller wrote:Perhaps I should have clarified. It goes without saying you can't put a Cannon lens on a Nikon body and visa versa. What I assumed people would deduct is while you can put an older lens on a new Cannon body you can't put an older Nikon lens on a new Nikon body.

Seriously? Even with the "winky" smiley?

russwjohns

I think the point has been made several times in this thread already.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
ssih wrote:You shouldn't be. I never buy new when I can buy refurb these days. I'm going to pull the trigger on this deal, as my D50 is getting long in the tooth. I bought it refurbed seven years ago, and after tens of thousands of photos under occasionally abusive conditions, it works as well as the day I got it.

You ignored the rest of my post. Unlike most people, I have direct personal experience with Nikon factory service. It is not great. Adequate, but not great.

erunner214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erunner214

Just got mine today. Took two photos with it and got a "Press Shutter Release Again" error. Some Google'ing shows that it is a common error. WIll have to return the camera I assume. Anyone else get this?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

erunner214 wrote:Just got mine today. Took two photos with it and got a "Press Shutter Release Again" error. Some Google'ing shows that it is a common error. WIll have to return the camera I assume. Anyone else get this?

Sorry for the problems. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bcfd29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcfd29

Bad shutter out of the box (DEAD Camera); woot will only refund $$, I need it for work. Four weeks, still not repaired.

Buyer be ware...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bcfd29 wrote:Bad shutter out of the box (DEAD Camera); woot will only refund $$, I need it for work. Four weeks, still not repaired.

Buyer be ware...

Sorry for the problem with the camera. When we sell out of an item, we don't have stock available for replacements.

This came with a 90-day Nikon warranty. Have you contacted them for assistance?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders