WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

A Ton of HP Computers

You're all like, "I need a computer!" And we're all like, "We've got computers!" And you're like, "What kind of computers?" And we're like, "HP computers!" And you're like, "Laptops? Desktops?" And we're like, "Both!" And you're like, "Wow! I'm going to buy them!"

unwiredben

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unwiredben

My wife got a refurbed Folio 13" (same model) a few months ago and it's been working very well. It's got great battery life and hasn't been nearly as fussy as some previous laptops of hers. If I hadn't just gotten myself a Lenovo Yoga 13 (which I don't really like), I'd get one of these for my own use. My only personal complaint is the screen resolution, which is low of my programming work, but for her use as a web browser and productivity box, it's been great.

jusca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jusca

woohoo. i'm loving this sale. picked up one so far. excellent deal woot!

sanderclan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sanderclan

Do any of these have a touch screen?

Sanderclan

aeneasvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt

Hmmm... Just bought a Chromebook and am NOT impressed by it. I could return it and get one of these...

sanderclan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sanderclan
aeneasvt wrote:Hmmm... Just bought a Chromebook and am NOT impressed by it. I could return it and get one of these...

I too was looking at the chromebooks, what are the shortcomings?

Sanderclan

bjfaber

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfaber
sanderclan wrote:I too was looking at the chromebooks, what are the shortcomings?

The biggest shortcomings of a chromebook is the os. Since they run on ChromeOS they are not designed to have anything installed on them, and most are not equipped with large amounts of storage for saving things locally either. So basically a chromebook is going to be for online access for light web browsing. Document and photo editing is going to be done via webapps (google docs, picasa, etc.), not through local software like Microsoft Office or Photoshop and the same goes for media storage (uploading your documents and photos to the corresponding online storage).

There are also a few caveats with web access on chromebooks. I know that Netflix just recently enable support for ChromeOS but I cannot speak for other streaming sources as you are restricted to HTML5 streaming rather than plugins like Microsoft Silverlight.

If you are looking for your traditional computing experience, these HPs (especially the folio) are a great option. If you are already heavily plugged into the cloud computing idea and upload everything to the internet and edit it/use it there than the Chromebooks could work for you. Just remember that since the chromebooks do everything online, you need to be online to fully use one's capabilities.

annie846

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annie846

I'm kicking around buying one, but I'm really mad about the HP Pavilion I bought a few years ago.

I don't take it many places and largely use it to browse while laying around and relaxing in my bed, but somehow the touchpad is falling apart. It has craters in it, and I have no idea why. I don't eat while I use it, and last time I checked, I don't have acid fingers so I have no idea what the cause could be.

I contacted HP about it because it's not that old, and they completely ignored my inquiry. I even tweeted at them angrily and they still didn't care.

So this looks like a good deal but I'm worried that again my touchpad will just fall apart

itafur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itafur

Torn between these:
I can always add more memory to one of the less expensive ones.
thoughts?

Web surfing and MS office (word/excel/PPT) use primarily

HP ENVY DV6-7273CA
Intel Core i7-3630QM Quad-Core 2.24GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB
$589.00

HP Pavilion DV6-7029WM
AMD A8-4500M Quad-Core 1.9GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB SATA,
$449.00

HP Pavilion G6-2249WM
AMD A6-4400M Dual-Core 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB SATA,
$329.00

heavyeng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heavyeng

Anyone care to vouch for HP's current credibility? I haven't really heard good things but this is a crazy good deal and I need a new laptop for schoolwork, no gaming.

Kraus247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kraus247

Just purchased a dell ultra book 14". Not sure if I'm going to keep it now. There are some good deals on here

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
itafur wrote:Torn between these:
I can always add more memory to one of the less expensive ones.
thoughts?

Web surfing and MS office (word/excel/PPT) use primarily

HP ENVY DV6-7273CA
Intel Core i7-3630QM Quad-Core 2.24GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB
$589.00

HP Pavilion DV6-7029WM
AMD A8-4500M Quad-Core 1.9GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB SATA,
$449.00

HP Pavilion G6-2249WM
AMD A6-4400M Dual-Core 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB SATA,
$329.00

For that use you might be OK with the cheaper one, but there's a noticeable difference in build quality between the G6 and the DV6 models. The G6 looks a lot more plasticy and is likely less durable.

For sheer processor speed there's absolutely no comparison between the i7 model and the other two you listed above. It's nearly 5 times as fast on benchmarks. You don't actually need that powerful a CPU, but it could also come in handy if you want to do more processor-intensive tasks in the future.

Passmark:
The i7-3630qm scores 7777 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3630QM+%40+2.40GHz
The A8-4500 scores 2719 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-4500M+APU
The A6-4400M scores 1621 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-4400M+APU

Between the three, and for your stated use, I'd probably be inclined toward the DV6-7029WM and I'd order a set of recovery discs, and use the cost difference to replace the hard drive with an SSD, then re-install the OS using the recovery discs, let it load the bazillion of Windows updates that it will be behind on and reboot umpteen times, and then have at it.
An SSD would improve boot/shutdown speed and everyday response times very significantly. The obvious drawback is of course that a reasonably priced SSD will have much less storage capacity than the 750GB hard drive. Typically 120-160GB SSD can be found on sale for a reasonable price, or 240-256GB for somewhat more, but anything larger starts to become cost prohibitive.

You could also put the 750GB drive into an external USB hard drive enclosure for extra storage, or possibly mount it in an optical-drive-slot hard drive mount and swap out the DVD drive for it if you don't always need an optical drive.

As others have mentioned, if you don't need a lot of processing power the Folio also looks like another good option. It already comes with an SSD so should feel nice and responsive despite the relatively low-end i3 processor (scores 1776). It's also slim and light, but it has a couple of notable drawbacks. First, no internal optical drive, which some people don't care about but others consider a deal-breaker. Second, it only has one memory DIMM slot. You can actually upgrade to 8GB by removing the 4GB DIMM and replacing it with an 8GB, but nothing more than that.

kmartind

heavyeng wrote:Anyone care to vouch for HP's current credibility? I haven't really heard good things but this is a crazy good deal and I need a new laptop for schoolwork, no gaming.

In my opinion HP is actually doing better since the previous CEO got booted out.
Most of these would probably be fine as long as you're careful to check everything out right away to make sure all is well initially so you can look into options for returning it early on if something is wrong.
After that, if it's treated well (e.g. blow the dust out of the fan/heat sink using a canned air duster periodically, do NOT use on a soft surface that holds in heat like a quilt or pillow, and don't bump it around while it's powered on, or preferably at all, etc) it should last quite a while.

None of these are old enough to possibly be affected by the old Nvida GPU problems that HP took a lot of flack for, even though the same problem also affected basically every other manufacturer at the time to varying degrees, including Apple, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

The other relatively frequent problem with laptops is a hard drive failure. Again, there, all PC manufacturers use very similar drives from Seagate, Western Digital, etc, and will likely have roughly similar failure rates.

Beyond that, people tend to mostly break laptops physically in drops/falls or during travel, spill drinks on them, or they get lost or stolen.

Kraus247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kraus247

So I'm buying my girl a new laptop and here's what I purchased through Dell:

-- Dell Outlet Inspiron 14z Ultrabook
-- 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
-- 32 GB SSDR mSATA Full Card
-- 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
-- 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
-- Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn + Bluetooth
-- 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Primary Battery
-- Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3337U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
-- Windows 64 Bit

Cost me $430

How does this stack up against the HP computer with the butterflies on it for $280?

kmartind

Kraus247 wrote:So I'm buying my girl a new laptop and here's what I purchased through Dell:

-- Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3337U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)

How does this stack up against the HP computer with the butterflies on it for $280?

The above Dell is noticeably better in basically every specification (but at a higher price) so I think you can still feel good about your purchase. It looks like a pretty good deal.
You can apply some butterfly decals or a skin if you just want the look.
While the larger DV6-7273CA here does out-spec the Dell, it costs even more still.

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

I would love to know more details on the specifications of the Folio 13".

The details needed such as:

- WLAN module used (Atheros/Broadcom)
- 128GB SSD (Crucial?)
- Maximum RAM (read on some forum, 1x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz SODIMM is possible).

All in all, a very well priced laptop (this is considered as an Ultrabook). Never mind the refurb, bought many HP refurb and they are all like new condition.

With the 6 cells battery, whole day computing is possible. Very useful especially when power plug is pretty inconvenient.

twedding

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twedding

why do manufacturers constantly use 5400 rpm HDD's? For a couple of extra bucks a 7200 rpm gives significant data accessing improvement. Grrrr.

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86
twedding wrote:why do manufacturers constantly use 5400 rpm HDD's? For a couple of extra bucks a 7200 rpm gives significant data accessing improvement. Grrrr.

Well, it boils down to cutting cost, given constrained budget and competitive pricing.

You can consider the Folio which has SSD installed. Granted that size is much smaller than HDD.

Either that or you change the HDD to SSD which will give you a much better perceived improvement over any HDD.

EDIT: More post.

Service manual for the Folio 13 can be found here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03177433.pdf

Could not resist and bought myself one.

wittylaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wittylaw

Please, would want to know if those marked refurbished are manufacturer refurbished

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wittylaw wrote:Please, would want to know if those marked refurbished are manufacturer refurbished

If they carry a manufacturer warranty, then they are refurbished by the manufacturer or a third party they designate.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sandiborowski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sandiborowski
heavyeng wrote:Anyone care to vouch for HP's current credibility? I haven't really heard good things but this is a crazy good deal and I need a new laptop for schoolwork, no gaming.

I have 2 HP laptops. I bought myself one a year ago and one for my teenager for Christmas 2012. Both are being used for every day use, no heavy gaming, etc. I have had no problems whatsoever. Updates are always available if you need them. I love mine and my son loves his. I can highly recommend them.

kmartind

wenda86 wrote:I would love to know more details on the specifications of the Folio 13".

The details needed such as:
- WLAN module used (Atheros/Broadcom)
- 128GB SSD (Crucial?)
- Maximum RAM (read on some forum, 1x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz SODIMM is possible).

All in all, a very well priced laptop (this is considered as an Ultrabook). Never mind the refurb, bought many HP refurb and they are all like new condition.

I don't have any personal experience with the Folio 13, but it looks pretty solid, has good reviews, and is considered part of the business-class line so should have very good build quality (though perhaps not as flashy as some of the consumer models).

Considering that crucial.com (among others) will sell you a "guaranteed compatible" 8GB DIMM for it, it's a pretty safe bet you can upgrade to 8GB successfully, but only by removing the existing 4GB DIMM.
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0732B41CA5CA7304

I'm not sure they always use a specific brand of SSD for all versions of a model, but some users have reported that they found a Samsung mSATA SSD inside.
The same probably goes for the wireless card. Some users report Intel, but there were apparently multiple options available including Broadcom/Atheros.
The exact product/part number of the unit might indicate that, but "13-1029WM" is too general.

sleepy35758

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sleepy35758

The all in one for $319 is a damn good deal. Just ordered one for my parents. Real good computer for people that are doing nothing more than casually browsing the internet and typing word files, and a real good price. If you're looking to do anything more than that with it then you're going to be disappointed, but for what it is it's a super good deal. Plus, I won't have to try to teach my parents the horror that is Windows 8. If you guys are looking to get your tech illiterate parents a computer, this would be a good one to get them. Plus, it comes with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

aeneasvt

sanderclan wrote:I too was looking at the chromebooks, what are the shortcomings?

There are a lot. I don't know about you, but I got the 3G one, and it's a bad joke. 100MB of data per month is pretty pathetic, but would have worked for my needs--if the service wasn't so bad in my area that it takes five minutes to load even the pictures on any given webpage.

Aside from that, the construction is VERY poor. I can click the mouse by pressing on the case on the OUTside, opposite the track pad--makes the clicking sound and everything. If you press on the back of the screen, not only does it bend forward significantly, but it also exposes the USB sockets that are under it: that is, they are not fully enclosed, part of them is just blocked by the screen.

Beyond all that, I just don't like to be spied on, and the deal with the OS is that EVERYTHING is Google--you literally cannot install any software on it unless it is an "app" that Google developed and, Google being Google, they mine all your information (everything that you do on the computer is accessible to them, because all the software is theirs), keep it, and use it to (at least) advertise to you. I'm pretty freaked out by that.

On the other hand, I just got a laptop from here that has a much better processor, better construction, is an HP, has a disc drive, and WITH THE WARRANTY, will cost the same amount as the Chromebook that I'm now returning. Thanks Woot!

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

I have a Chromebook that I am going to try to sell on Craigslist. I liked it at first and can do 90% of what I need to do on it just fine. But the remaining 10% is annoying. If you need to any program, forget it. You can do some work off line but only after you prepared and downloaded the apps for it. To print anything you have to have a wifi printer and o through google. I also don't like that my gmail account is always open until I log off. I often use it in guest mode but then you on't have access to your apps.

I need a lot since I m not a gamer but I need more than Chrome.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

I might eat my words. After checking on these laptops and the new windows 8, I remembered that one of the pros for the Chromebook was avoiding ll the senseless updates--most of which crashed my windows computer. I simply don't have time to keep learning new systems programs etc. and more important--that's not how I want to spend my spare time. I guess I have some more research to do. :-(

flyingweasel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyingweasel

I know these probably aren't cut out for running games currently being produced, but how would they work for running older games, say ones from the late 90s early 2000s? My old HP is finally biting the dust, and I want to find a basic laptop to keep playing all my old games on (I have a program that allows older games to run on XP and Win7/8, so the version of windows isn't an issue).

aeneasvt

flyingweasel wrote:I know these probably aren't cut out for running games currently being produced, but how would they work for running older games, say ones from the late 90s early 2000s? My old HP is finally biting the dust, and I want to find a basic laptop to keep playing all my old games on (I have a program that allows older games to run on XP and Win7/8, so the version of windows isn't an issue).

I'm sure they could handle that with ease. I was always three to four years behind the curve on games because I didn't buy cutting-edge computers--up until I bought one a few months before Skyrim came out, and made sure I hit the specs just so I could run it. Stock off-the-shelf computers like these (most of them, anyway--which specific one were you thinking?) would have no problem running old games, as long as the OS still supports them ;)

Unrelated: I don't know about anyone else, but I get a unique kind of satisfaction from seeing a product that I bought yesterday sell out today. Anyone else?

cmcdevit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmcdevit

Would any of these computers handle heavy gaming from Starcraft 2 or World of Warcraft? I was using my roommates iMac i7 and playing at high graphics settings, with addons and voice chat, anyone know if maybe the desktop or the i7 laptop could handle my insatiable thirst to pwn nubs?

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic
aeneasvt wrote:Unrelated: I don't know about anyone else, but I get a unique kind of satisfaction from seeing a product that I bought yesterday sell out today. Anyone else?

I'd been watching the 7029 (quad-core 8GB) for days and today noticed the button went pulsing. Made my mind up for me. Damn smart marketing, Woot.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

If I am not mistaken...and I usually am not...this same computer (hp pavilion p6-2143w) was $50 less here in Feb.

But, if I Am wrong...I am sure I can find someone else to blame it on!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

platypusrex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages platypusrex

HP 2000-314NR Laptop is $298 new in-store at Frys

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

jgladnick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgladnick
kmartind wrote:For that use you might be OK with the cheaper one, but there's a noticeable difference in build quality between the G6 and the DV6 models. The G6 looks a lot more plasticy and is likely less durable.

For sheer processor speed there's absolutely no comparison between the i7 model and the other two you listed above. It's nearly 5 times as fast on benchmarks. You don't actually need that powerful a CPU, but it could also come in handy if you want to do more processor-intensive tasks in the future.

Passmark:
The i7-3630qm scores 7777 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3630QM+%40+2.40GHz
The A8-4500 scores 2719 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-4500M+APU
The A6-4400M scores 1621 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-4400M+APU

Between the three, and for your stated use, I'd probably be inclined toward the DV6-7029WM and I'd order a set of recovery discs, and use the cost difference to replace the hard drive with an SSD, then re-install the OS using the recovery discs, let it load the bazillion of Windows updates that it will be behind on and reboot umpteen times, and then have at it.
An SSD would improve boot/shutdown speed and everyday response times very significantly. The obvious drawback is of course that a reasonably priced SSD will have much less storage capacity than the 750GB hard drive. Typically 120-160GB SSD can be found on sale for a reasonable price, or 240-256GB for somewhat more, but anything larger starts to become cost prohibitive.

You could also put the 750GB drive into an external USB hard drive enclosure for extra storage, or possibly mount it in an optical-drive-slot hard drive mount and swap out the DVD drive for it if you don't always need an optical drive.

As others have mentioned, if you don't need a lot of processing power the Folio also looks like another good option. It already comes with an SSD so should feel nice and responsive despite the relatively low-end i3 processor (scores 1776). It's also slim and light, but it has a couple of notable drawbacks. First, no internal optical drive, which some people don't care about but others consider a deal-breaker. Second, it only has one memory DIMM slot. You can actually upgrade to 8GB by removing the 4GB DIMM and replacing it with an 8GB, but nothing more than that.

Where do you order recovery disks?

aeneasvt

anachostic wrote:I'd been watching the 7029 (quad-core 8GB) for days and today noticed the button went pulsing. Made my mind up for me. Damn smart marketing, Woot.

Button pulsing... I never noticed. I'll have to look closely from now on.

marshallram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marshallram

Anybody have any input on the Beats edition for $549? I am not buying it for sound quality but rather my must haves for my next laptop were, illuminated keyboard, at least 6gb ram and at least an i5 processor.

kmartind

jgladnick wrote:Where do you order recovery disks?

It should be listed on the support/drivers page for the particular model.

For example I just tried going to hp.com -> support and drivers -> drivers & software, and then typed in DV7-7223CL and hit Search, then selected Windows 8.
That linked to the following page with all the drivers and downloads for that particular model (the URL would be different for other models):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&sw_lang=&product=5312229

In that list there's an option for "Order Recovery Media" and it wants the system serial number to make sure you're getting the correct set of DVDs. I think they charge $12 or something, which isn't too bad I guess. That page doesn't seem to like Chrome much for some reason so might try FF or IE.

I think you can also order by just contacting phone support.

In any case, having the packaged recovery discs comes in handy for re-installing to a new drive. My father in law has an HP laptop and when we tried to reinstall the OS to a new SSD using the set of DVDs burned by the recovery disk creator program it wouldn't install because the SSD was smaller than the hard drive the computer came with. It works fine with the standard recovery disks though because those are designed to work with different configurations of the same model. One possible drawback is there might be an extra program or two that came with the system but might not always be on the generic recovery discs, so it probably doesn't hurt to burn a set using the recovery disk creator too just in case.

KcasMij

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KcasMij
Kraus247 wrote:So I'm buying my girl a new laptop and here's what I purchased through Dell:

-- Windows 64 Bit

Cost me $430

The butterfly one is a good deal, as is what you purchased. You can analyze and beat yourself up over anything you purchase if you look hard enough. The bottom line is both your girlfriend and mine will both be happy with what we got them... Unless you're dating a hardcore gamer... at which point you should have just drained your bank account...

werekong

quality posts: 7 Private Messages werekong

No hdmi or usb 3.0 in the desktop. is that an indication of the age of the computer?

jusca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jusca
werekong wrote:No hdmi or usb 3.0 in the desktop. is that an indication of the age of the computer?

Yeah. HDMI should at least be standard on all desktops/laptops by now. I might give a little slack to not having USB 3.0. The price and specs at this time aren't a good deal imo. It's lacking too much (for my needs, that is).

shijin83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shijin83

A question for anyone who has bought one of these computers. Has your computer shipped yet? I ordered one 5 days ago and it still hasn't shipped.