mikeyrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeyrod

I'm a mac and a pc user. Both systems have their advantages. Yes, a mac laptop is expensive. But there is a certain pleasure to using it opposed to most PC laptops. It is a work of art from an engineering standpoint. To me, it is worth the extra money to have the experience of using such a quality machine. A Macbook pro is like the Harley Davidson of laptops.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot
merfsurf wrote:What version of OSX is installed ?

When this model first came out, it had Snow Leopard (10.6), but the current version of OSX is Mountain Lion (10.8).

The specs say Mac OS X v10.7.3 (Lion).

The Mac advantages are typically build quality and the ability to run Mac OS. For some people that's worth a lot.

Given that this is Apple refurbished and has the 1 year Apple warranty, there's no reason not to buy it here vs. the Apple store.

Jago3825

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jago3825

I have the FC725LL/A (MC725LL/A when new). Best laptop purchase I ever made. You seriously cannot compare this to any retail notebook out there. These posts comparing an HP Pavilion G Series notebook is comical. If all you are doing is Email or web surfing, then any notebook will do. If you want the closest comparison in the PC world as far as quality/fit&finish/performance to the Apple Macbook Pro then look at the HP Elitebook 8770W, Dell Precision M6700 or ThinkPad W530. All of which are well over $2000 for similar spec and none of those have as nice of a display as the MacBook Pros (the HP Dreamcolor displays are a close second. That said you are spending about $2500 for that option). As far as the RAM goes, I have 16GB in mine. PC's just have too much bloatware. They need more RAM to support all of the BS running in the background. Apple OSx just runs more efficiently.

Jago3825

mikeyrod wrote:"A Macbook pro is like the Harley Davidson of laptops".

Perfect quote. Well done!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
mikeyrod wrote:A Macbook pro is like the Harley Davidson of laptops.

Your exactly right. It represents status more so than performance. You pay for the name.

Nubby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nubby

I'm a Windows guy, but I wouldn't mind trying a Mac out. I hear great things about MBP's.

Welcome to the suck.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller
birdoprey5 wrote:I'm ready soon to the make the switch to Apple hardware (I expect I will keep running Windows somehow) but the 8GB max RAM kills this deal for me. My current "cheap" PC laptop has 12 GB already and maxes out at 16GB. Would need the same or better in a new one.

You can't compare how a PC uses ram compared to a Mac. A Mac generally uses its' ram more efficiently than a PC so the same amount will take you further on a Mac.

judith21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judith21

I Will get it now

drron2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drron2

No Apple TV?

Fuhgedaboutit!

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia

Got to say, I'm really surprised to see this so frequently here. It's a good machine- I bought one 2 years ago when it came out- but this is a really high price to pay for it now even if it was new (and it's not).

Just to be clear, the price for this machine brand new (literally exact same specs) was $2300 including tax back in 2011 direct from the Apple Store. So it's essentially a $500 discount for being refurbished and 2 years old... you decide for yourself.

As for the machine itself, it's powerful and actually not that heavy for its size, but I noticed right off the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the specs claim. I think this is because the graphics switching is really buggy- it would often keep the discrete card on because Skype or Chrome (or some other not so GPU intensive app) was running. You could force it off, but it was a nuisance. Additionally, it ran VERY hot when the discrete GPU was actually being used- so hot you could heat up your lunch on the case. It also doesn't have a blu-ray which pretty much all laptops in this size/price range do.

Other than that it's a good machine.

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia
showcaller wrote:You can't compare how a PC uses ram compared to a Mac. A Mac generally uses its' ram more efficiently than a PC so the same amount will take you further on a Mac.

That is true as far as the OS goes, but I've found it's not so where programs are concerned. In fact, I'm pretty sure some Mac versions of popular software (e.g. Firefox and Skype) actually use MORE memory than their PC counterpart. I actually have had issues on this same machine with thrashing and out of memory errors when running many programs at once (with 8 GB RAM).

TheFlatline

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TheFlatline
ychia wrote:Got to say, I'm really surprised to see this so frequently here. It's a good machine- I bought one 2 years ago when it came out- but this is a really high price to pay for it now even if it was new (and it's not).

Just to be clear, the price for this machine brand new (literally exact same specs) was $2300 including tax back in 2011 direct from the Apple Store. So it's essentially a $500 discount for being refurbished and 2 years old... you decide for yourself.

As for the machine itself, it's powerful and actually not that heavy for its size, but I noticed right off the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the specs claim. I think this is because the graphics switching is really buggy- it would often keep the discrete card on because Skype or Chrome (or some other not so GPU intensive app) was running. You could force it off, but it was a nuisance. Additionally, it ran VERY hot when the discrete GPU was actually being used- so hot you could heat up your lunch on the case. It also doesn't have a blu-ray which pretty much all laptops in this size/price range do.

Other than that it's a good machine.

In defense of not having a blu-ray...

I have one in my laptop that I've used maybe... *maybe* 4 times since I bought it 18 months ago.

Not to mention that if you don't have digitally signed drivers (usually the oldest drivers that the laptop originally shipped with) for the stupid f*cking DRM, you're out of luck unless you shell out for a special program that may or may not work with your system.

None of the video drivers released for your video card are rated to run blu-ray on your laptop. To watch a single blu-ray disk I had to get a program that streamed the movie on the fly and then 127.0.0.1 back to myself to watch the stream. That was f*cking psychotic.

With the Macbook Air, I'll give them credit: They saw the optical drive going away. With booting to USB possible now (though not particularly easy... that needs to be changed) there's no reason for me to have an optical drive in my laptop.

Also insert Not so haaaaaard!-crowing over PC being so much cheaper. I bought a 17 inch gaming laptop that was identical to top of the line Alienware 18 months ago from Dell (All those alienware components? You can get them in an XPS laptop. Only difference? You're not spending 800 dollars on the case. True story.) for about 1200 bucks out the door, and it's still a monster.

Heavier than hell though- I'll give apple that, their macbooks are lighter than you'd think.

rak5877

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rak5877
gak0090 wrote:Your exactly right. It represents status more so than performance. You pay for the name.

yup, just like a harley you pay more money for less performance because the product buys you entre into a perceived "lifestyle" created by a confluence of popular myth and marketing.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
TheFlatline wrote:In defense of not having a blu-ray...

I have one in my laptop that I've used maybe... *maybe* 4 times since I bought it 18 months ago.

Not to mention that if you don't have digitally signed drivers (usually the oldest drivers that the laptop originally shipped with) for the stupid f*cking DRM, you're out of luck unless you shell out for a special program that may or may not work with your system.

None of the video drivers released for your video card are rated to run blu-ray on your laptop. To watch a single blu-ray disk I had to get a program that streamed the movie on the fly and then 127.0.0.1 back to myself to watch the stream. That was f*cking psychotic.

With the Macbook Air, I'll give them credit: They saw the optical drive going away. With booting to USB possible now (though not particularly easy... that needs to be changed) there's no reason for me to have an optical drive in my laptop.

Also insert Not so haaaaaard!-crowing over PC being so much cheaper. I bought a 17 inch gaming laptop that was identical to top of the line Alienware 18 months ago from Dell (All those alienware components? You can get them in an XPS laptop. Only difference? You're not spending 800 dollars on the case. True story.) for about 1200 bucks out the door, and it's still a monster.

Heavier than hell though- I'll give apple that, their macbooks are lighter than you'd think.

Pro blu-ray:

Using it for home movies is great, and it makes it a convenient medium to share. Can't really do Hi def on regular DVD.

Data <$1 for 25gb storage - pretty cheap

There are ways to get around the DRM- not really an issue

gencom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gencom

MBP runs Os'x and Windows whatever..

PC only runs windows..

It's like getting two laptops for 1.

You say bluray big deal boot in windows and add a external bluray player.

But if you pc users ever want to use garageband or anything in Os x, you just sol..

aliasfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliasfox
don0juan wrote:For anyone doing objective comparison shopping, I'd like to point out that woot sold this machine for $650 after shipping a couple weeks ago.

The specs are comparable--major differences are
1) HP is $1,000 cheaper
2) resolution on the Mac is slightly better
3) HDD on the HP is 250 GB larger
4) memory on HP is 12 gb compared to 4 gb on the Mac, expandable to 16gb
5) 2 HD bays in the HP
6) slightly faster processor in HP
7) no HDMI out on Mac

Of course there are other differences that are harder to compare, like OS and coolness factor.

I'm not against Apple by any means, but I have never been able to justify their prices. I suspect they're able to inflate prices due to the coolness factor created by their incredible marketing department.

I bought the HP a couple weeks ago to replace an HP that I had for 5 years that I put through hell, including dropping it multiple times. Never had a single issue with it.

To each his own!

I would like to point out the HP relies solely on the Intel integrated graphics chip and has no dedicated option to fall back on. The Radeon 6750 in the MacBook Pro is comfortably 3x faster than even the HD4000 graphics chip in the HP. That may not mean much to most people, but it means a lot to anybody who deals with video, batch processing of photos, or even a little bit of gaming.

That said, if you're gaming, a MacBook Pro isn't a stellar option either...

jashotwe1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jashotwe1

The real name is Apple PC; not Apple vs PC. The only thing different is the OS.

jgreene777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgreene777

Does anyone know if this MBP does AirPlay? I have an older MBP that doesn't and its disappointing because the MBP 15" I had before that DID support it.

With al the Mac/PC crap going on, it's hard to find anything useful. I can't find anything related to AirPlay on Apple's spec page, so I would think that means it doesn't support it...

slaker1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages slaker1

I have one of these guys as my work-provided computer and I have to say I really hate the damned thing. It's such a boat anchor that I essentially relegated it to sitting on a shelf and running a projector.

In its life of not being moved around and sitting on a shelf for the last 20 or so months, my 17" MBP has needed its screen, battery and trackpad replaced under warranty... and every time I have to do that I have to argue with someone about whether or not I want to take it to the nearest Apple store (hint: I don't).

My boss thought she was being cool for buying us Macs, but that 17" MBP is by far the least reliable computer I've ever had.

Jago3825

jgreene777 wrote:Does anyone know if this MBP does AirPlay? I have an older MBP that doesn't and its disappointing because the MBP 15" I had before that DID support it.

With al the Mac/PC crap going on, it's hard to find anything useful. I can't find anything related to AirPlay on Apple's spec page, so I would think that means it doesn't support it...

Yes it does Airplay. I use mine all of the time for movies. I believe (I could be mistaken) that anything with the Thunderbolt port is new enough to run video&audio via AirPlay. Whereas the older MBPs could only do audio.

isnoop

quality posts: 9 Private Messages isnoop

Aah the 17" MBP. Rest in peace.

I bought the very first and very last models they offered. It was such a perfect machine for me that now I'm considering going non-Apple again for the first time in seven years.

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389
indetrucks wrote:Selling my Girlfriends Macbook pro this week. When she saw the specs of the $500 computer I picked up off of Woot last week, she felt embarrassed about dropping 4x the amount on her Macbook pro.

Going cut her losses while it's still fairly new.

I would to, I got a 15" macbook pro in 07, that was the WORST laptop i have ever owned, always ran hot and after 2 years the graphics card died and apple of course wouldn't cover it, wanted $400 to fix it >.> sold it for $200 bucks and got a $500 toshiba. never again apple...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Look, buddy. Just because the merger between Brauveiser beer and Model A beers fell through, and they were swooped up by that big, oversized, bloated international monopoly DOESN'T mean that the Macbook as ANY room to talk to you about your choice in inferior brews! Brauveiser is as much of a staple name in beer as Apple is in computers. I can understand if a custom-made LinWux system might have those prejudices against your choice of draught, but the if Macbook really feels that way, It's just an LCD calling a CRT pixelated.

/humph

/ImJustSayin'

XD

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I've had an Apple on my desk ever since my boss bought two of the first LISA systems (Remember those?) and replaced my Apple II with one. I've also had every make and model of IBM PC and OS, from DOS 2.0, on a "Turbo XT" (a whopping 4 mhz) through the terrible micro-channel fiasco, all the way up to Windows 8. Macs just work. You don't have to fuss with them, and, unlike most PC's, you never have to stop and say "Gee, why did it just do that?"

Yes, Apple products are more expensive than a PC. They always have been, but sometimes you get what you pay for.