WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How are your bird-identification skillz?
  • 2.6% - Top-notch. I can identify the Troglodytidae by call, yo. 63
  • 11.3% - I bird, but I’m not a birder. 278
  • 40.9% - I can identify a mallard or a mourning dove, but nothing fancy. 1005
  • 29.8% - I’m great at identifying brownish vs. black birds. 731
  • 15.4% - Birds…are those the things I eat at Thanksgiving? 379
2456 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

pigsnfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pigsnfish

I barely survived ornithology, but it's weird what sunk in...25 years ago. Just the other day, I caught a flash of brown out of the corner of my eye and said, "Oh, a brown thrasher." My next thought was, "How the heck did I know that?" As for the troglodytidae, those are house wrens, one of the few families I remember. It had to do with the textbook picture of the wren with its tail feathers sticking up in the air and a fellow student making up a story about giants (know as Troglodytes) on an island with certain appendages sticking up in the air. Whatever. I guess $40,000 in college debt and seven years of college paid off.

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

Pigeon (easiest)
Duck
Rooster/Chicken/Hen (don't know the difference)
Turkey
Pelican
Flamingo
Woodpecker (from the noise)

That's literally all I can identify. My ex took a class in college and was utterly ashamed of me. He could even recognize from the sound or quacks or whatever.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

I'm surrounded by birds, yet I know nothing about them. On any given day, I'll see one or two types of red bird, blue, white (a few of those), various shades of brown, black...then there's the occasional duck, hummingbirds, and bats.

It's like the Galapagos here, except for the part where it's Texas.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

How are your bird-identification skillz?

Like from the movie?

blankenships4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blankenships4

I like ducks, are they birds ?

Melanie Blankenship

peculiar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peculiar

This is so easy. Birds are organic cat food!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I looked up the birds at the feeder a few weekends ago, just for the heck of it. A couple of them were so bright colored.

Goldfinch
Redfinch
Grosbeak
Nuthatch
Chickadee

Well, that's the only ones I could match with a name...

We also have woodpeckers, bald eagles, hawks, swallows, robins, Rhode Island chickens and the guy down the road has some OBNOXIOUS peacocks.
One peacock flew into the garden last year. My wife wouldn't let me shoot it (I doubt if they are endangered). Darn. I sicked the dogs on it, but it flew off. darn.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
trixierix wrote:Pigeon (easiest)
Duck
Rooster/Chicken/Hen (don't know the difference)
Turkey
Pelican
Flamingo
Woodpecker (from the noise)

That's literally all I can identify. My ex took a class in college and was utterly ashamed of me. He could even recognize from the sound or quacks or whatever.

I'll add peacock, but I cannot identify whether the black birds we have all over here are crows, grackles or what...

marion14505

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marion14505

Pretty sure you will recognize robin, cardinal, blue jay, chickadee, pigeon, mourning dove, turkey vulture, and red-tailed hawk without knowing that that's what you're seeing. At least, in the US.

My birding skillz are so mad that I used to make money at it. Well, I used to take pictures of hawks and falcons and sell them to magazines. Then they invented the Interwebs....

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

My husband's had feeders in the yard for 40 years and by osmosis I've learned to identify all the local birds, male and female, and some of the ones that stop on their way north or south. The piliated woodpecker's one of my favorites.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

scizzie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scizzie

Ornithologist by trade! Woot!

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

I'm no good with songbirds (I find them boring) but I'm quite good with most exotic birds, especially birds of paradise and flightless birds.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

timdthomas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timdthomas

I went to the Galapagos a few years ago and got good at identifying the native birds there, but I've forgotten everything by now.

Mostly, I liked identifying the blue footed booby. Because, how often in polite conversation are you allowed to say booby?

Look at those boobies over there!

Those are a pair of really nice boobies, aren't they mom?

Honey, I was out all morning looking at boobies.

john27

quality posts: 4 Private Messages john27
Harui wrote:I'm no good with songbirds (I find them boring) but I'm quite good with most exotic birds, especially birds of paradise and flightless birds.