WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung Galaxy Digital Media Players

Carl Sagan once talked about the "billions and billions" of of stars in galaxies, but we bet he would have been really blown away had he seen these Galaxys! So get your head out of the sky, snatch up one these babies, and get ready for "billions and billions" of hours of fun!
Samsung Galaxy Player official site

Quality Posts

accuteknj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages accuteknj

Could not have gotten a better media player with plenty of room for music and family clips.

samuelspeer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samuelspeer

These really are great mp3/video players. I bought one a year ago and have been very pleased with it.

Don't think that you can use it for anything else, though. The fact that it has wifi and Gingerbread seems appealing but I soon noticed that the processor, GPU, and RAM were incapable of a smooth gaming experience. I've also had lots of problems with connectivity; when it first arrived, it connected to the internet quickly and easily, but it has gotten steadily worse, and now I can't get a connection even if I'm right next to the router.

Despite all of the problems I've had with it, it has been an excellent music and video player.

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

I own the 4.2". Love it for music, video, and Angry Birds.

accuteknj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages accuteknj
samuelspeer wrote:These really are great mp3/video players. I bought one a year ago and have been very pleased with it.

Don't think that you can use it for anything else, though. The fact that it has wifi and Gingerbread seems appealing but I soon noticed that the processor, GPU, and RAM were incapable of a smooth gaming experience. I've also had lots of problems with connectivity; when it first arrived, it connected to the internet quickly and easily, but it has gotten steadily worse, and now I can't get a connection even if I'm right next to the router.

Despite all of the problems I've had with it, it has been an excellent music and video player.

They are not intended for video games, as main purpose is for music and videos

aaronhenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry
accuteknj wrote:They are not intended for video games, as main purpose is for music and videos

I believe these can run mobile versions of Ubuntu (Linux) after reading some of the Ubuntu forums.

It may take some tweaking but you can basically dock these to access a full OS when not in mobile mode. Kind of a cool pocket PC if you do that especially considering the price.

EDIT: I've never done this but a coworker has-- please don't PM asking me how!

jkaleda

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jkaleda

I have the 5" model. It's quite large. Other than that, it's a great device for everyday, non-gaming, use. I have no trouble connecting to any wifi. I can make calls from it and send texts when on a good open wifi. The radio is the best feature for me, I get to listen to morning classics while at work without bothering others. Download the Citrix client app and I can connect to work if needed. And best of all...it's NOT APPLE!

SPAM in the place that you live.

jdiazj1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdiazj1

I WAS about to pull the trigger on the 5" player but then started to research the price for reburbs and its basically the same price everywhere.

Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855117079

eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-YP-G70-CW8ARB-Galaxy-Player-5-0-8GB-Chic-White-Wi-Fi-Only-RFB-/380612393831

Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-8GB-Android-Player-5.0-MP3-Player-Refurbished/20692719

Not a deal in my option. Thanks anyway Woot

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Price Update

Happy Friday! You may have noticed the we lowered the price on the 4.2" and 5" players.

Now go buy some before we change our mind, please.

Already purchased? No worries. Money will come flying back to you shortly.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

conman77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77

CM10.1 is working on rooted 5.0's

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2208046

sacestar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sacestar

These things are awesome. This day and age you can get wireless pretty much anywhere, and I've been able to put off buying a smartphone/data package for quite some time. Got the 5.0 about a year and a half ago at full retail, and still absolutely love it. I -am- starting to have issues with the battery though, so it may be time to make the smart-jump soon...

tadef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tadef

When people say these are not good for "gaming", does that mean full blown Call of Duty, or does that mean Angry Birds and Subway Surfer? I'm thinking of these for 6-8 year old kids in the car.

sacestar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sacestar
tadef wrote:When people say these are not good for "gaming", does that mean full blown Call of Duty, or does that mean Angry Birds and Subway Surfer? I'm thinking of these for 6-8 year old kids in the car.

This will run any sort of basic game (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc.) without any problems. I've hit some serious slowdown on some stuff like Dead Space and kinda learned my limits, but the basics are a breeze for this device. Another big thing, no problems with Netflix, which is huge for me. If Samsung would release an OS update I'd almost buy another.

dbehera2000

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dbehera2000

What is the difference between these 4 models other than the size?

ngufra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ngufra

I have the 4 inch one.

I really enjoy it.
It's basically a phone without the phone part.
It has camera, microphone, good speaker.
with CSipSimple and a future-nine account, i can use it as a phone.
Skype works too.

Good alternative to an ipod.

only drawback is the older android version.
some people have put android 4 on it though.

boredslacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boredslacker

I actually met Carl Sagan, and in response to a question I had about his classic tagline, he said "no I would have never said 'billions *and* billions' - that's simply too imprecise..."

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark
dbehera2000 wrote:What is the difference between these 4 models other than the size?

There is a difference that could be a big deal for those without smartphones. The 3.6 and 4.2 models ONLY have a special Bluetooth feature and app that will let you mate to a dumb phone (as long as it has Bluetooth) and answer calls on the player as though it is a handset. Unfortunately this feature or app doesn't have a dialer so to use the player to dial out you have to have the number in your contacts list. Using the contacts list, you can call out as well as receive calls. This only allows you voice access for calls, so you can't use the phone minutes to surf, for that or VoIP calls you need wifi access.

The reviews say that the 4.2 has a better display than the 3.6. The 4.0 and 5.0 have Bluetooth but cannot mate with a dumb phone in the same way the others can. I have a 5.0 and I went head and tried it to no avail. :-( my 5.0 has stopped charging and having it repaired would cost at least $50 locally so I'll probably get a 4.6. Until the charging issue, I was very happy with the player.

FYI, pinger is beta testing a VoIP app for android tablets that worked very well with my player when I had a strong wifi signal. http://pinger.zendesk.com/entries/22202707-Try-Pinger-on-your-Android-tablet-

As far as the non-phone elements are concerned, I loved having a fm radio I could listen to at work. On the 5.0, the video and audio are very good and you have your choice of both google play store and the Amazon App Store. My Internet research suggests a problem with the connector needing re soldered. I mention this because since these are refurbished, I feel it is likely that the connections on these have been checked.

now-what

quality posts: 1 Private Messages now-what

If I make MP4 video files with Hand Break will they run ok on one of these? I was thinking of the 5" for the Gym and they don't have WiFi there.

Also is the camera any good for photos? Is it only Facebook quality or are they good enough to print with?

Thank you

mexdirect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mexdirect

I've been using a 5" refurb version for about four months as an IP phone. It is doable, but there are some limitations.

I've found that the no-cost option of using Google Voice and GrooveIP is unreliable, as call quality can be sketchy and I often get lags after speaking for some time. Quality is much better using Google Voice and a Skype number.

Additionally, I have been unable to make calls with just the player, as the mic does not pick up my voice. I use a bud/headset for that. FM radio only works if you use a headset, as well.

Also note that these devices have a lot less RAM than Samsung Galaxy S phones. The device slows with too many apps open, and I am regularly killing processes and freeing up RAM via task manager. Not a huge deal, but something you should be aware of.

That stated, multimedia (Hulu+, Netflix, Youtube) is stellar and smooth. Brilliant picture with no stuttering.

Overall, this is an awesome device. Much better than the cheap 7" tablets in the market today. The best IP phone solution available, period.

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006
now-what wrote:If I make MP4 video files with Hand Break will they run ok on one of these? I was thinking of the 5" for the Gym and they don't have WiFi there.

Also is the camera any good for photos? Is it only Facebook quality or are they good enough to print with?

Thank you

It should play the mp4s, even if the built player doesn't play something there are plenty of other players on google play

Magentian

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Magentian
now-what wrote:If I make MP4 video files with Hand Break will they run ok on one of these? I was thinking of the 5" for the Gym and they don't have WiFi there.

Thank you

I have the 5" one. The camera is pretty terrible. I wouldn't even put photos from it on Facebook. Image stabilization only runs as quickly as the memory allows, which isn't very quickly. The resolution I got always seemed really grainy and the light sensitivity wasn't very good either. My Tracphone has a better camera installed -- you can't even use this one to read barcode labels.

Like folks are saying, it's a great little device, but it really is only for music and movies and maybe has some limited utility running certain apps. I use it mostly to walk to work with and log music through Last.fm. Light internet browsing it can take -- think checking the New York Times at work, maybe a bit of browser-Facebook. Anything more than that and I've found the thing tends to crap out and freeze up or lag. More than three internet tabs is a no-no. I had to uninstall the Facebook app because the demands on the processor were a bit too much for my tastes.

The memory is expandable, though -- it can take up to a 32-gig memory card, if I remember correctly, so it definitely serves if you're just looking for a thing to port your library onto that isn't an iPod. And it's a solid little device. I've dropped mine at least five times and apart from some scuffs it's been totally fine. The five-inch one fits in your pockets just fine if you wear guy-sized pants and can also be used as an ereader if you download the Kindle app or similar offerings. It serves very well as an alarm clock, flashlight, door prop, etc. And the battery life hasn't been disappointing at all -- the thing stays charged all day pretty well even with wifi enabled. I did have to send it back for repairs once, but Samsung was reasonably fast about it and it was under warranty.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with mine. I bought it as a smartphone replacement for just about twice the price it's going for here and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

un1cycle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages un1cycle

Last year I ditched the bulk of my awesome Asus tf300 for a 5" Galaxy. Love the size and battery life. Great for checking email at the coffee shop or watching movies on long flights.

5" has an externally accessible microSD slot. Specs claim 32gb compatibility but I run SanDisk 64gb MicroSD's loaded with music and movies (Ripped with Handbreak). like the MX Player app for movies and PlayerPro for music.

Now have a smarty phone s3 but still use the Player a lot to stream Pandora and radio stations to our home stereo system via blue tooth.

GPS is great too. In other countries I would download the area from Google maps and mark my destinations while I still had wifi. When the cabbie didn't know English I could show him where I wanted to go. It also kept them from ripping me off because they knew I could see if they were going the long way.

ocelotito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocelotito

My son has one and it handles those kinds of games pretty well. He even plays minecraft on it. (He has the 4.2 inch)

tadef wrote:When people say these are not good for "gaming", does that mean full blown Call of Duty, or does that mean Angry Birds and Subway Surfer? I'm thinking of these for 6-8 year old kids in the car.

shadowedxhunted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowedxhunted

This is a pretty sweet deal, if I didn't buy my itouch Gen 5 before this deal came across, I would've made sure to buy the biggest memory and up to date samsung player right here..

Ah well. These babies may not have the current specs you're looking for and runs with Gingerbread but I have been very interested in the browser function on this unit.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Which of these have GPS capabilities?. I'm looking for something to use a bike computer.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Biggest problem with this: the Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise.

Similar specs, much better OS (4.0), cheaper ($75) and..you can just buy it and never activate it and have this same thing.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

Everyone is complaining this has crappy specs... I still use my Samsung Captivate which has the exact same specs but is a phone.

azeemm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azeemm1

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/668324169958901895/reviews?q=YP-G70-CW8ARB&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&sa=X&ei=iZabUYuAOJG6qQG6sIDYDg&ved=0CJMBEL0k

Not upgradeable - lots of problems, from the above linked reviews-

" Pros: decent sound;
5" screen feels like MORE than an inch of improvement over 4" screen (or smaller on iPods);
Stand alone GPS navigation with right app
expandable with micro sd slot (though I have a bunch of apps and maps and have never needed it, but I suppose if you want to carry full movies around with you....)

Cons: can't go above Android 2.3 Gingerbread;
WARRANTY WILL NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE "CW" in the model number (see review)

A general note about Samsung manufacturer's warranty from an experience I just had earlier today. Be aware.

My Samsung Galaxy Player is 11 months old and after calling them about the (sealed, soldered-in) battery life going down to an unacceptable level, they said that if I sent it to their ONE AND ONLY point of repair in Texas ... it would receive a new battery. When I gave the customer service rep my model and serial numbers she commented that the numbers made it seem like it was not made-for-USA-market. But that device worldwide was built the same, so no matter.

Today I received the device back with a note that said nothing had been done to it because "Device worked." And then "Technician Advice: Return device to country it was manufactured for to receive repairs."

After 2 hours on the phone with Samsung, they told me that the Texas plant cannot repair anything not made for the US market, but they would try to figure out what country it was made for and get me the phone number for that repair plant--it seems like maybe it was meant for Mexico.

Pfft! My Square Trade extended warranty kicks in next month, or I'd be without recourse. My Player's model number is YP G70-CW*** --it's the CW that turns out to be non-American market. I only knew about the YP-G70 when I made the purchase, but even I had read the full model and called Samsung with it, they don't always know what country it was meant to be sold in...no red flag went up when I registered the device, just when I tried to use the warranty.

I love the device itself, but that battery just isn't holding up 11 months in, and you will void the warranty if you try to remove and solder in another (available at samsungparts dot com for "51 dollars, allow 4-6 weeks for delivery"). Square Trade is going to take care of this, but they shouldn't have to--Samsung has found a new way to screw people out of their warranties, knowing full well when people register that they have been slipped a foreign market device.
expand » « collapse"

dmuir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmuir

I am mostly interested in one of these as a music player connected to a stereo in the bedroom. From the favorable comments I assume the sound quality is good, but I have questions on three points.

Does this have a useful "random play" function so I can just leave it playing songs at random from whatever is loaded on it? And does the function access the whole library when memory is increased using a microSD card?

Does it have a useful playlist function? And can the playlist draw from both basic memory and added microSD memory on the same list?

Can it be left plugged into the charger while listening to music through the headphones, so that battery life is not an issue?

Thanks much for any help.

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy
johnt007871 wrote:Everyone is complaining this has crappy specs... I still use my Samsung Captivate which has the exact same specs but is a phone.

After seeing the offerings here I did exactly the same thing you did: "converted" my Samsung Galaxy phone to a dedicated MP3 player. As a phone there's no resale market for these (I upgraded to the Note so didn't need the Galaxy any more). Also, I'm using another retired Galaxy phone as a remote control for my electronic equipment at home. Amazing.

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

kcroyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcroyle
jkaleda wrote: And best of all...it's NOT APPLE!

lol @ unnecessary troll by samsung fanboy

louie69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louie69

Way too expensive, you can get a scandisc 8 gig media player(refurbished like these) for about $30.00. If you are looking for a good deal , keep looking these are too expensive

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
louie69 wrote:Way too expensive, you can get a scandisc 8 gig media player(refurbished like these) for about $30.00. If you are looking for a good deal , keep looking these are too expensive

Except these have nice big screens and apps. Keep the sandisk for the gym.

kshae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kshae

We received ours but guess what? DOESN'T WORK!! Gaah!

manhandsha

quality posts: 39 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

kshae wrote:We received ours but guess what? DOESN'T WORK!! Gaah!

Sorry for the disappointment! Have you emailed Woot Member Services yet? If not, they can take a look at your order. support@woot.com

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.