conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2548 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of additional info over at vizio.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2548 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

a handful of great reviews over at samsclub.com

mhenning

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mhenning

Has anyone noticed today's Picture of the Day on Wikipedia is the very same picture as displayed (reversed) on the screen here? Coincidence? Or are woot and wikipedia both in the pockets of 17th century printmakers?

danMazur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danMazur

Any chance this supports apps? I didn't see anything...

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
danMazur wrote:Any chance this supports apps? I didn't see anything...

Nope ... I don't think this one supports apps. But with most blu-ray players and game boxes having apps (often better and easier to use than the ones that come in TV's) and with the easy, inexpensive and excellent Roku boxes (which is what we use) - I doubt you'll miss it.

We bought a 32" Vizio on a lark from Secondipity a few years ago and it remains our VERY favorite TV. Like this one, it's just 60hz, but we haven't every noticed the difference in speed whether we're watching sports, or movies or whatever. (YMMV if you're doing heavy gaming or something - I don't know.)

Route the sound out to a receiver and some decent speakers (we aren't even bothering with surround ... just a pair of high quality speakers) and it's an amazing QPR.

It's just been an incredibly fine TV. If it were to die this afternoon, it'd owe us nothing.

(BTW - the little Pyle 120 watt amp we're using with our Vizio is on sale at Mother Amazon for VERY cheap - 66% discount and Prime eligible. Mixed reviews but our experience with it has been stellar for nearly two years.)

Tatts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tatts
danMazur wrote:Any chance this supports apps? I didn't see anything...

Don't bother. I bought a "smart" TV (Samsung), and never use the apps. Most apps are useless (kids games, educational) or hook into pay-for-service sites (Netflix, etc.) And the browser is horrid. And you're locked into that company's limited choice of apps.

Save your money. Hook up an old computer to it and use that for accessing the web; it's a much better experience.

toottoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toottoot

http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-39-1080p-led-hdtv-1

Previous offer. I snagged one.
Mainly used in the family room for the kids games and DVD. Good picture. Slightly dim in the brightness but it runs at ~32.5 watts. Can't complain there.
Pretty easy to use.

Know that this doesn't have the older RCA jacks, though.

enmuffins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enmuffins

A stupid question: When it says 'refurbished' does that mean what I think it means ie: been taken apart and put back together again?

keystone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keystone

We now have 3 Vizios in our house. We bought our first one (42" basic model)years ago and it has outlived the Samsung and Toshiba we have purchased for other rooms. Picture is still bright and sharp. We now have a smaller one in the bedroom and a larger 3D model in the living room, both Vizio. LOVE the 3D and wish there were more movies available.

I do use the apps on our living room tv...mostly for Amazon movies but I know most people don't. It depends on how much tv you watch or if mobility is an issue for you or someone else in your home.

Bottom line is that Vizio will always be my first choice when any of my tvs need to be replaced.

KeystoneSoldiers.com
Supporting those on the frontlines of freedom

jmcachran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmcachran
Tatts wrote:Don't bother. I bought a "smart" TV (Samsung), and never use the apps. Most apps are useless (kids games, educational) or hook into pay-for-service sites (Netflix, etc.) And the browser is horrid. And you're locked into that company's limited choice of apps.

Save your money. Hook up an old computer to it and use that for accessing the web; it's a much better experience.

Then you're doing it wrong. The ability to use Netflix w/o messing with an outside player alone is a great addition. Add in Pandora so you can easily stream music and I won't buy another TV that's not a smart TV.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

This thing only uses 32 watts? WOW, my 4 year old 42” LCD TV uses 220 watts which was good at the time.

As for the APPS question, just get a media streamer. I use a Sony and a Roku for 2 different TVs.

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

I bought this last time it was sold here, to go with my Tivo (a 'smartness' source) and love how I can get such a huge picture into a mere 35" wide space between wall&shelf due to its narrow frame. I was also surprised at how good the sound was given the low price. By the way, I used to loathe Vizio from a bad experience 9 years ago but they since seem to have grown up well.

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

Vizio is an American brand company based in California. It's also excellent quality.

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
enmuffins wrote:A stupid question: When it says 'refurbished' does that mean what I think it means ie: been taken apart and put back together again?

Honestly? It means "Welcome to W00t!" Because as a liquidator, many -- if not most -- of W00t's products are refurbished. Refurbished can mean something as benign as open box returns, but more commonly, a refurbished product is one that was returned to the manufacturer due to product defects, sold off in a lot to a private refurbisher, and then sold once again in a lot to a liquidator like w00t for final retail sale.

The defects in question may be minor -- blemishes such as scratches/dents -- or they may be actual functionality defects that interfere with the product's operation. The refurbisher makes a (presumably) good-faith effort to find and repair all problems with the unit -- which simply means that the unit operates (for however long a testing period as the refurbisher will allocate) according to the definition of "properly" that the refurbisher is using. Sometimes, the refurbisher will not correctly fix all problems with the unit, either because they failed to find or reproduce the issue, or just due to an unsatisfactory "fix" attempt. (For example, sometimes a failure in one component is actually caused by problems with another component. The refurbisher replaces the failed component -- which according to the economies of manufacture and design, is likely to be one of the cheapest components -- and the piece which causes the other to fail is still there, which simply causes the replacement to fail while you own it.)

You pay less than retail, and you get less than retail: Want a warranty? You won't get one; buy your own. Most w00ts come with a link to an available Square Trade warranty for your product. Want full original packaging, accessories, and manuals? You're not always going to get them. If you're buying something that comes with a period of free support from the manufacturer, that period may well have expired since the original purchaser enabled it for this product, or it may not be transferable.

In short, buying a refurbished product is a risk/reward exercise: You're paying less and risking more. Sometimes the reward is worth the risk, and sometimes, not so much. Many people will post here that they've had nothing but fantastic luck with refurbs, and would never think twice about buying one. Others will post horror stories and will never try one again. Personally, I'm in the middle, having had both tremendous and tremendously bad experiences. In the end, you just gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

I love bacon!

keithshoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keithshoe

Well done sir.....Should be posted on all Woots for the newbies.

lethargicmass wrote:Honestly? It means "Welcome to W00t!" Because as a liquidator, many -- if not most -- of W00t's products are refurbished. Refurbished can mean something as benign as open box returns, but more commonly, a refurbished product is one that was returned to the manufacturer due to product defects, sold off in a lot to a private refurbisher, and then sold once again in a lot to a liquidator like w00t for final retail sale.

The defects in question may be minor -- blemishes such as scratches/dents -- or they may be actual functionality defects that interfere with the product's operation. The refurbisher makes a (presumably) good-faith effort to find and repair all problems with the unit -- which simply means that the unit operates (for however long a testing period as the refurbisher will allocate) according to the definition of "properly" that the refurbisher is using. Sometimes, the refurbisher will not correctly fix all problems with the unit, either because they failed to find or reproduce the issue, or just due to an unsatisfactory "fix" attempt. (For example, sometimes a failure in one component is actually caused by problems with another component. The refurbisher replaces the failed component -- which according to the economies of manufacture and design, is likely to be one of the cheapest components -- and the piece which causes the other to fail is still there, which simply causes the replacement to fail while you own it.)

You pay less than retail, and you get less than retail: Want a warranty? You won't get one; buy your own. Most w00ts come with a link to an available Square Trade warranty for your product. Want full original packaging, accessories, and manuals? You're not always going to get them. If you're buying something that comes with a period of free support from the manufacturer, that period may well have expired since the original purchaser enabled it for this product, or it may not be transferable.

In short, buying a refurbished product is a risk/reward exercise: You're paying less and risking more. Sometimes the reward is worth the risk, and sometimes, not so much. Many people will post here that they've had nothing but fantastic luck with refurbs, and would never think twice about buying one. Others will post horror stories and will never try one again. Personally, I'm in the middle, having had both tremendous and tremendously bad experiences. In the end, you just gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

SanDisk Sansa e250 2GB Media Player
Jumbo Junkie Universal Jumbo Remote Control – 2 Pack
3M Filtrete Air Purifier
Nike Sport Kit Carrying Case for MP3 Players – 2 Pack
Pioneer 1080p Upconverting DVD Player with HDMI output

crashnburn01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashnburn01
keithshoe wrote:Well done sir.....Should be posted on all Woots for the newbies.

Agreed! I bought this same TV during the last Woot-off. It came in the original Vizio package. The TV still had the original protective plastic on it. One piece of the plastic had been pulled off - a hand print placed upon the base and then the plastic was replaced. Heck, the accessories bag hadn't been opened!

As such the same price today as the woot-off has left me feeling a little less "special"... I'll get over it!

BTW, great basic TV for the money. Very pleased with the picture and sound.

wdstss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdstss

I bought this TV the last time it was offered in Mid-April. It was shipped via FedEx and the Curly driver left it - allegedly - on my front porch in full view of the street. It was not on my porch when I arrived home that night. Currently being disputed with credit card company. Be warned!

hurdleking01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hurdleking01
enmuffins wrote:A stupid question: When it says 'refurbished' does that mean what I think it means ie: been taken apart and put back together again?

Well, sorta, kinda, maybe, not really..., but yes. Refurbished products can sometimes get a bad rap. They are typically products that have been used, then returned to the store for various reasons. Damages, faults, customer dissatisfaction (returned a Panasonic because they wanted a Sony), recalls or whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean that something was ever wrong with the item. They are then, at some point, sent back to the manufacturer where they, or sometimes a 3rd party company, repair the items back to their factory specs, therefore making them functionally as if they were birthed straight from the mothership. At this point, the items can't be legally (or ethically) sold as "new", so they slap a tag on it saying "refurbished" and the items are sold again at a discounted rate. It normally works out great for everybody. Mostly, the same original warranty is in place for refurbs, but sometimes, it will be a reduced warranty (ex.: 90 days instead of 1 year).

uhphikap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhphikap
toottoot wrote:http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-39-1080p-led-hdtv-1

Mainly used in the family room for the kids games and DVD. Good picture. Slightly dim in the brightness but it runs at ~32.5 watts. Can't complain there.
Pretty easy to use.

Is the brightness such an issue that it probably wouldn't make a good outside TV? I was considering picking this up for my back patio/pool area, but if brighness is a problem, then that won't work. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

cobra3k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cobra3k
toottoot wrote:http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-39-1080p-led-hdtv-1

Pretty easy to use.

The green color jack of the component functions as the yellow for the composite (yellow,white,red). You basically get the choice of a component or composite hookup, but not both at the same time.

Topdecker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Topdecker

8/10th of inch away from being too large to fit in our old bedroom TV cabinet. The small outer bezel dimensions combined with the power savings made this the ideal TV for my needs.

grannie14and2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grannie14and2
uhphikap wrote:Is the brightness such an issue that it probably wouldn't make a good outside TV? I was considering picking this up for my back patio/pool area, but if brighness is a problem, then that won't work. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

It looks like there may be a brightness adjustment. I found the following over at the SamsClub reviews (see comment above for link): "Good value at Sam's. Got it because it had the biggest screen that would fit in a cabinet we have because of the thin frames. When I turned it on, I thought it was not light enough. Fiddled with the controls and it just did not feel right - not bright. Almost took it back. Tried again - in picture menu, under 'more' turned off the Ambient Light Sensor, and bingo, it was brighter. for some reason, the factory setting wasn't working for me. Very pleased now."
Maybe it will work for you.

bpr2

quality posts: 175 Private Messages bpr2

woot off!!!

that was fun while it lasted!

fldcontact

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fldcontact

How long until these are shipped? I'm still awaiting shipment...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 140 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

fldcontact wrote:How long until these are shipped? I'm still awaiting shipment...

Shipping usually takes 3-5 business days from the sale (unless you select a different ship speed)

If the shipping status of your order doesn't change by Thursday or Friday, feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and they'll be glad to help you out.

ORDER CANCELLATION: now within 15 mins, click here for more details...
Need Some Help? Hit us up at support@woot.com
Have Any Questions? Check out Woot FAQ
Wanna Hear What's Going on All Things Woot? Swing by Our Blog

snowwrite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowwrite

Wow already got my tv. I was first to order .. guess that means first to receive. MY shipping info didn't change though so I was surprised to receive it today! Expected it to show up this weekend.

Haven't unboxed yet because I'm on the clock at work but yeah.. I got mine

enmuffins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enmuffins

[quote postid="5445093" user="lethargicmass"]Honestly?
Thank you lethargicmass for your caustic info. I'm 86 years old and sometimes facts escape me so you put me right!

gregw1016

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregw1016

So did anybody else open up their box today to discover their new vizio refurb is missing a power cord?..... and a remote control and a mount for the stand and the mounting screws? Or is it just me?

cawamor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cawamor
gregw1016 wrote:So did anybody else open up their box today to discover their new vizio refurb is missing a power cord?..... and a remote control and a mount for the stand and the mounting screws? Or is it just me?

I opened mine a short while ago and everything is included and intact. TV looks clean...no scratches...will fire it up later

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 500 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gregw1016 wrote:So did anybody else open up their box today to discover their new vizio refurb is missing a power cord?..... and a remote control and a mount for the stand and the mounting screws? Or is it just me?

Drat. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

fallingmonkey3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fallingmonkey3

Mine came in the mail yesterday and, after having gone through most of the set-up process for the TV, much to my dismay, the unit wouldn't power on. I tried switching outlets, but no luck.

I gave Vizio a buzz to see if they could do anything about it. The person I spoke with took me through a "power reset" which was ineffective, and I haven't had any luck yet. As a refurb, too, Vizio doesn't provide any manufacturer support. They mentioned that if it were "Vizio RECERTIFIED," it would carry 90 days of warranty, but alas, it's not to be.

Anyone else have this problem?

gregw1016

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregw1016
ThunderThighs wrote:Drat. Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

Ya already did. Gotta wait till Tuesday before anybody gets back to me.... Stupid holiday weekend =[

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 500 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fallingmonkey3 wrote:Mine came in the mail yesterday and, after having gone through most of the set-up process for the TV, much to my dismay, the unit wouldn't power on. I tried switching outlets, but no luck.

I gave Vizio a buzz to see if they could do anything about it. The person I spoke with took me through a "power reset" which was ineffective, and I haven't had any luck yet. As a refurb, too, Vizio doesn't provide any manufacturer support. They mentioned that if it were "Vizio RECERTIFIED," it would carry 90 days of warranty, but alas, it's not to be.

Correct, per the sale, this comes with a 90-day Warranty, not a Vizio warranty.

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

iamhives1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamhives1

Got mine.Installed and working well. Looked pretty much new to me except for what looked like a couple of minor scratches on the screen but polished them off with a paper towel (must have been adhestive from the plastic screen cover?). Everything looks good. Blscks are not as deep as a TV costing four times as much but perfect for what I need.

Turning off the automatic brightness control helps. But if anyone has a trick to getting the blacks blacker, please post.

Good deal

snowwrite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowwrite

Unboxed and working great. Bought a cheap little hdtv antenna AND have it hooked up to a pc with XBMC! (will probably invest in a tuner card for Live TV later) .. great little tv! It had everything but manual but nowadays the manual is easily found online!

snowwrite wrote:Wow already got my tv. I was first to order .. guess that means first to receive. MY shipping info didn't change though so I was surprised to receive it today! Expected it to show up this weekend.

Haven't unboxed yet because I'm on the clock at work but yeah.. I got mine

billcorr3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billcorr3
fallingmonkey3 wrote:Mine came in the mail yesterday and, after having gone through most of the set-up process for the TV, much to my dismay, the unit wouldn't power on. I tried switching outlets, but no luck.

I had the same problem. No solution as of yet.