Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2743 Private Messages lichme

Product Page with more info, pics, and reviews

truefro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truefro

I have an Acer laptop with almost identical specs (6 GB RAM instead of 8, and it has a Radeon HD 7670M in conjunction with the 7660G for AMD's dual graphics). My dual graphics handle a lot of modern games surprisingly well. I'm not sure how the 7660g performs solo.

The way I see it, if you compare to an Intel i3/i5 laptop with Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics, this one is basically a slightly lesser CPU with a better GPU. Great deal overall!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3302 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at amd.com

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr

Walmart Users like it

I'm sorry but isn't that a reason NOT to buy???

Sorry Woot!

Whoa! I retract my previous statement... I had no idea that this would have a VGA connection!!!
THAT'S AWESOMESAUCE!
Boy HOWDY... I hope it's a Super VGA?!? I cannot wait to watch Andy Griffith at 800 x 600!!!

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

I'm a complete novice when it comes to comparing CPUs so I'd appreciate some input. I miss the days when all you need to do is compare a few model numbers, i.e. 80386 vs 80486 and cycle frequency!

I do a lot of video editing and data analysis involving complex modeling. How does this laptop compare to the $499 Asus Q400A¿ The Asus has a 2.2 ghz i7, 14" screen and backlit keyboard. Everything else seems similar. How does the i7-3632QM 2.2ghz compare to this AMD CPU?

Thanks.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Don't be a 'tard. VGA can handle 2048x1536 and above.

pupyluvr wrote:Walmart Users like it

Sorry Woot!

Whoa! I retract my previous statement... I had no idea that this would have a VGA connection!!!
THAT'S AWESOMESAUCE!
Boy HOWDY... I hope it's a Super VGA?!? I cannot wait to watch Andy Griffith at 800 x 600!!!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
sdc100 wrote:I'm a complete novice when it comes to comparing CPUs so I'd appreciate some input. I miss the days when all you need to do is compare a few model numbers, i.e. 80386 vs 80486 and cycle frequency!

I do a lot of video editing and data analysis involving complex modeling. How does this laptop compare to the $499 Asus Q400A¿ The Asus has a 2.2 ghz i7, 14" screen and backlit keyboard. Everything else seems similar. How does the i7-3632QM 2.2ghz compare to this AMD CPU?

Thanks.

I'll take a crack at it:
the i7-3632QM score is 7141, ranked 94
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3632QM+%40+2.20GHz&id=1480

the AMD is ranked 407, with a 3180 score
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-4600M+APU

Tom's Hardware compares it to a weaker i5-2450 (the article is a bit deep for me tonight)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-4600m-trinity-piledriver,3202-18.html

kstoyanoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kstoyanoff

I have the Lenovo Z585 with VERY SIMILAR specs... A10 processor w/6gigs of ram(I plan on upgrading to dual-channel 2x4gb), 1tb hard drive, 7660g graphics card, bluetooth, etc. I've been playing Far Cry 3 and the game runs very well on it. I got it brand new for $499 here at MicroCenter.com and I have 0 complaints about it. The sound is better than the HP Envy w/Beats too (I know this as I purchased it first and later returned for multiple issues).

As mine is very similar, I would definitely recommend this laptop for the price. I know everyone is all about having Intel due to better CPU's, but AMD levels the playing field by having EXCELLENT GPU's. A laptop with an A10 processor and most any AMD GPU will cost hundreds less than an I7 with their typical HD4000 and will play games and movies much much better.

You can't always go by benchmark scores as they can often be misleading. You really have to ask yourself what you're going to be doing with your computer before you decide which direction you'd like to go with in terms of hardware.

amlethus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amlethus

Its processor is on CPUBenchmark.net's "High End CPUs" list, and while it isn't at the top, a score of 3,180 is nothing to scoff at.

The graphics card barely makes the "High End Video Card" list on their sister site, but considering that it's better than what I have in my laptop, it should be able to handle Skyrim on high graphics (maybe medium, because I have a much more powerful CPU than this laptop).

Edit: Beat'd by whatsamattaU above

whatsamattaU wrote:I'll take a crack at it:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3632QM+%40+2.20GHz&id=1480

Tom's Hardware compares it to a weaker i5-2450 (the article is a bit deep for me tonight)

whatsamattaU

amlethus wrote:Its processor is on CPUBenchmark.net's "High End CPUs" list, and while it isn't at the top, a score of 3,180 is nothing to scoff at.

The graphics card barely makes the "High End Video Card" list on their sister site, but considering that it's better than what I have in my laptop, it should be able to handle Skyrim on high graphics (maybe medium, because I have a much more powerful CPU than this laptop).

Edit: Beat'd by whatsamattaU above

You still provided extra insight I couldn't.

norm401

quality posts: 1 Private Messages norm401

Thinking of getting this. How do you think it would be as a replacement for cable TV?
Will it be good enough for streaming video to watch shows over the Internet. And to record shows.

brodie657

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brodie657

I just bought my wife a very similar Toshiba (with an i7 instead) and like it overall. However it has a very crappy wifi card in it which drops the signal all the time, even when the laptop is 5 feet away from the router.

The rest of our wifi devices never drop a signal at all. Some googling showed that I'm not the only one to experience this issue with the realtek card (or driver). Other than that, I'd recommend in a second.

jhalkedi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhalkedi
brodie657 wrote:I just bought my wife a very similar Toshiba (with an i7 instead) and like it overall. However it has a very crappy wifi card in it which drops the signal all the time, even when the laptop is 5 feet away from the router.

The rest of our wifi devices never drop a signal at all. Some googling showed that I'm not the only one to experience this issue with the realtek card (or driver). Other than that, I'd recommend in a second.

Agreed. Got my wife one from Costco and we are going to return it for the same reason. For us it was particularly bad when we closed the screen on it. (which kind of defeated half of the purpose since she also has a 24" monitor she likes to use)

taylanator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylanator

This actually looks like a great laptop. The A10 is AMD's top-of-the-line CPU and is placed well in the Core i5 position. The graphics card is the best on-chip card on the planet. It's about as good as a mid-ranged dedicated.

Overall, you are getting a big bang for your buck with this laptop.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry Woot!

THAT'S AWESOMESAUCE!

Practice that post for a while, did ya? VGA is useful for connecting second monitors and projectors.

Did ya notice that it also had HDMI?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
whatsamattaU wrote:I'll take a crack at it:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Especially for putting it on such simple terms. I know that there are actually many numbers to consider, i.e. floating point calculations, graphics, etc, but I just needed something simple so your reply was perfect. But also disappointing because I'm loyal to Woot and was hoping to buy this. Unfortunately, the speed difference is too great so it looks like the Asus is a better value for my purposes.

Thanks again ... and I look forward to your 1000th Quality Post!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, feel free to comment on Woot over in World of Woot. Plenty of threads there or you can create a new one.

Let's focus on the product here.

Thanks and good morning.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

i have a slightly older toshiba with similar specs i got to replace my failing macbook, and honestly i really like it. i haven't had any wifi problems the others are talking about though i will say i have heard of that problem. I highly reccemend mine, the only complaints i have is the speakers are pretty quiet for my tastes, and the buttons on the track-pad are meh

hoosiercub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoosiercub

These are good laptops. The AMD 7660G is going to blow away the now industry standard for Intel laptops with HD4000 graphics if you're a gamer.

The AMD-A10 is going to be on par with a mid-range i5 CPU but to the average user, you're not going to notice that as being a con of any kind unless you're constantly benchmarking your PC for the sake of benchmarking.

If it wasn't for the low resolution, I'd be picking one of these up myself, but I need at least 1600x900.

wwoot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wwoot

Reviews linked in the early posts are mostly positive. Negative reviews most often complain about the keyboard feel and unresponsive keys.

Does anyone know whether this is a real and frequent problem or mostly a personal preference issue?

ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE UPDATE

Buyer hasn't had his coffee yet and he's lowered the price on this laptop by $30! Quick, before he fully wakes up. BUY NOW! He's heading for the coffee machine as I type this!

Small print: If you already purchased, you'll be refunded the difference automagically.

BrianWelter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrianWelter

I have this exact model. I'm using it primarily as a development workstation. It handles building and running j2ee applications very well.

I'm also using it for playing around with the Oculus Rift...it plays Team Fortress and Half-Life 2 at max settings (albeit low resolution for the oculus) very well.

My only real complaints are that it does feel a bit flimsy and the mouse buttons on the trackpad have an odd feel to them.

I don't think you can do better for the price.

panellar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages panellar

Anyone else having experience with this dropping WiFi signals? I'm thinking of buying one of these, but will definitely need to use it for working in public places so frequently dropped signals would be a dealbreaker for me.

pythos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pythos

I guess my one hold up on this laptop (aside from my crippling case of whats known as the brokesies)is the lack of a touch screen. With the design of Windows 8 as well as the direction tech is going it is my personal opinion that buying a laptop without a touch screen now will be what buying one without HDMI was a few years ago. Even when the laptop itself is not entirely obsolete in a year or two it will feel archaic because touch screens would be the standard.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban

Sorry Woot!

THAT'S AWESOMESAUCE!

Really? You needed to say this? Boy, I hope you find better things to do with the rest of your day.

cjwonder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjwonder

Just as an FYI...if you use the Wootstar app like i do this laptop shows up as $429 but its $399 at woot.com

I've done a fair amount of research today and $399 is a great price for this computer. I've looked at similar models at tiger direct and there's less powerful models that are $50-$100 more than this guy.

I've always been an intel guy this will be my first AMD but I'm confident in this chipset.

brian2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brian2k1

if we wait maybe they will drop it again. I'm in for one at $379 and three if it goes to $299.

zlot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zlot

I've been meeley-mouthing around about getting a laptop I probably won't use much. So I don't want to spend over $400. My main reason is to use it for a video server via my network to stream my own video to my TV. It has the HDMI; enough said. But just in case I use it for something more computer-like, it meets my minimum spec of quad-core, 8GB ram, and a reasonable CPU speed. In short, this was a deal I couldn't refuse.

zlot

norm401 wrote:Thinking of getting this. How do you think it would be as a replacement for cable TV?
Will it be good enough for streaming video to watch shows over the Internet. And to record shows.

No reason why not....that's what I'm getting it for. Lot of good comments about the AMD GPU. Go for it! Hurry! Before it's gone! I've been Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!footing around about getting a laptop that I probably won't use much, so this is perfect, with the great price.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
hoosiercub wrote:These are good laptops. The AMD 7660G is going to blow away the now industry standard for Intel laptops with HD4000 graphics if you're a gamer.

The AMD-A10 is going to be on par with a mid-range i5 CPU but to the average user, you're not going to notice that as being a con of any kind unless you're constantly benchmarking your PC for the sake of benchmarking.

If it wasn't for the low resolution, I'd be picking one of these up myself, but I need at least 1600x900.

Just to be fair, the CPU performance is better than an I3, yet not I5 for instance: I5-3210M which is a common I5 for a regular notebook will beat it by about 650 points (3180 vs 3826). Having said that though, the AMD beats the Intel on the video side (812 AMD vs 478 Intel.

This is a nice well balanced notebook for $400. And I agree totally on your statement regarding the resolution. It's ridiculous that a Nexus 10 inch tablet has a resolution of 2560x1600, yet the most common resolution on a 15.6 inch laptop is still 1366 x 768.

camry4me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camry4me

What does it mean by refurbished? Are these returns they are trying to get rid of?

I'm thinking about buying one of these but the "refurbished" tag is scaring me...

zlot

camry4me wrote:What does it mean by refurbished? Are these returns they are trying to get rid of?

I'm thinking about buying one of these but the "refurbished" tag is scaring me...

As far as I'm concerned, "refurbished" means deeply discounted, with only a 90 day warranty. If it's still working after 90 days, I wouldn't worry about it. But to be less tongue-in-cheek it means it's been returned, checked out, repackaged, discounted, and resold. Anymore, that's the only way I buy, all other things being equal...but then, I'm a risk taker....

zlot

You can easily get around the main defect of this deal by reformatting it!
Come to think of it, having read the directions for downgrading, it's not quite that easy. Maybe it'd be about as easy to get the app that bypasses the Metro screen and just boots you to the desktop and use your imagination!

giggityGoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giggityGoo

I realize that this is par for the course for cheap laptops, but I can't emphasize enough how offensive a 1366x768 resolution is to me. I have a 10 year old 15" Dell Inspiron 5150 that has a resolution of 1600x1200. People would laugh at a laptop that had inferior processing speed, memory, or graphics card than my old trusty Inspiron - yet apparently it is perfectly acceptable to have screen resolutions that fit fewer pixels in a 15" screen than new cell phones put in < 5". This kind of thing might be acceptable in a $150 netbook, but anything more expensive than that should have an absolute minimum res of 1920x1080. (End rant)

nomwein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nomwein

Does anyone know how it stacks up against this (more expensive) HP laptop? http://www.woot.com/offers/envy-15-6-quad-core-i7-laptop-w-widi

thanig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thanig
nomwein wrote:Does anyone know how it stacks up against this (more expensive) HP laptop? http://www.woot.com/offers/envy-15-6-quad-core-i7-laptop-w-widi

well, same "common crappy" resolution 1366 x 768...gigglygoo was po'd about...

whatsamattaU

camry4me wrote:What does it mean by refurbished? Are these returns they are trying to get rid of?

Refurbished defined, as is also in my signature below--it doesn't necessarily mean used:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=108834&pageindex=1&replycount=14#post109477