markharr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markharr
fatsnack wrote:Hasn't shipped, meaning there is no ups tracking number. I'm so disappointed.

Mine hasn't shipped yet either. Ordered on the 23rd.

wallaceg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallaceg

I installed my new Metra in-dash unit the other night. Everything seems to work but there's one quirk I can't figure out: how to mute or turn off the radio without muting the GPS.

It seems that the radio plays by default whenever the unit is powered on. Pressing the "MUTE" button silences the radio, but it also mutes the GPS turn-by-turn directions. When driving in an unfamiliar area I would like to eliminate any distractions (like the radio) but still be able to hear the GPS directions.

Any suggestions?

sonnydays15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonnydays15

i had my Rav4 model installed by best buy yesterday. it was working well, but now the GPS will stay on the blue screen and not load. it doesn't seem to be the black screen everyone's having problems with, any thoughts from metra?

wallaceg

sonnydays15 wrote:i had my Rav4 model installed by best buy yesterday. it was working well, but now the GPS will stay on the blue screen and not load. it doesn't seem to be the black screen everyone's having problems with, any thoughts from metra?

I had the same problem when I first installed mine. Try removing and then reinstalling the GPS memory card while the unit is powered on. That fixed the issue for me.

wallaceg

wallaceg wrote:I installed my new Metra in-dash unit the other night. Everything seems to work but there's one quirk I can't figure out: how to mute or turn off the radio without muting the GPS.

It seems that the radio plays by default whenever the unit is powered on. Pressing the "MUTE" button silences the radio, but it also mutes the GPS turn-by-turn directions. When driving in an unfamiliar area I would like to eliminate any distractions (like the radio) but still be able to hear the GPS directions.

Any suggestions?

I received this response from Metra:
"You can turn the unit on and press AUX, then navigation. This way there is no music when just using NAV.

Sheldon Abbey
Tech Support
Metra Electronics"

sonnydays15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonnydays15
wallaceg wrote:I had the same problem when I first installed mine. Try removing and then reinstalling the GPS memory card while the unit is powered on. That fixed the issue for me.

Solved, thanks for the help.

alexfierro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexfierro

I purchased the RAV4 one. AV IN (Aux button) doesn't work. I have RCA cables hooked up into the Video In, AUX L In and AUX R IN and those are plugged into my portable DVD player with RCA out.

However, when I click AV IN or the AUX button, nothing happens. It's as if I don't have any AUX cables plugged in. (It's just disabled, kind of like "USB" or "iPOD" when there's no USB or iPod plugged in.)

I contacted customer service... we'll see what they say.

wallaceg

alexfierro wrote:I purchased the RAV4 one. AV IN (Aux button) doesn't work. I have RCA cables hooked up into the Video In, AUX L In and AUX R IN and those are plugged into my portable DVD player with RCA out.

However, when I click AV IN or the AUX button, nothing happens. It's as if I don't have any AUX cables plugged in. (It's just disabled, kind of like "USB" or "iPOD" when there's no USB or iPod plugged in.)

I contacted customer service... we'll see what they say.

You need to connect the "AUX-Enable" (I think that's what they call it) wire to ground. This is a connector-less wire on the plug that contains the Camera-In an Aux-In RCA jacks. I used a bolt that goes to the chassis behind the head unit as the ground connection for the Aux-Enable wire.

alexfierro

wallaceg wrote:You need to connect the "AUX-Enable" (I think that's what they call it) wire to ground. This is a connector-less wire on the plug that contains the Camera-In an Aux-In RCA jacks. I used a bolt that goes to the chassis behind the head unit as the ground connection for the Aux-Enable wire.

I emailed Metra customer service who just replied and said exactly that... so I'm gonna try and see!

NOTE: Metra customer service spoke perfect english and was very fast. So mad props to Metra. Let's see if this works...

powercrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powercrazy

Ordered mine the 23rd and still waiting for it to ship...??? I know Woot can be slow, but this is frickin' crazy. Anyone else in the same boat??

markharr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markharr
powercrazy wrote:Ordered mine the 23rd and still waiting for it to ship...??? I know Woot can be slow, but this is frickin' crazy. Anyone else in the same boat??

I am in the same boat. I ordered mine the same day that you did. Yesterday I contacted support and was told that Metra is actually shipping these devices, and that it probably has been shipped, but not updated. I asked if I could at least get a tracking number and have not heard back yet.

This is my first experience with Woot and will probably be my last. On the same day that I ordered the navigation unit from woot, I ordered the cable from Amazon, and received the cable in two days.

powercrazy

Yeah, I reached out to Woot CS yesterday and while they got back to me, they had no answers... Its frustrating - considering its the kind of item I'd hate to see sitting out in the rain for a day I'd really like to have a tracking number!

BTW - I'm sorry this is your first Woot experience. If it is any consolation, I have been a member since around 2004 and have bought almost 50 things from them - this is by far the worst shipping delay I've ever seen. Normally they ship everything within a week of ordering and I've always been happy with what I've received. I'd suggest you don't blame Woot in this specific case but the Metro vendor - give Woot another shot! ;-)

markharr wrote:I am in the same boat. I ordered mine the same day that you did. Yesterday I contacted support and was told that Metra is actually shipping these devices, and that it probably has been shipped, but not updated. I asked if I could at least get a tracking number and have not heard back yet.

This is my first experience with Woot and will probably be my last. On the same day that I ordered the navigation unit from woot, I ordered the cable from Amazon, and received the cable in two days.

lingervette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lingervette
alexfierro wrote:I emailed Metra customer service who just replied and said exactly that... so I'm gonna try and see!

NOTE: Metra customer service spoke perfect english and was very fast. So mad props to Metra. Let's see if this works...

I haven't connected that particular wire to ground yet in my RAV4, I will try when I get a chance. Have you noticed that the factory AUX port that sits by the center console is no longer usable? I can't seem to get it to work even though the factory wire harness is plugged in properly in the back of the headunit.

jdevas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdevas

Same scenario here. Ordered 5/21/2013. Now it is 6/7/2013 and still "Awaiting Shipping." Getting kind of impatient. Contacted woot and they said it ships straight from the manufacturer, so they can't help track it.

BTW I ordered the Ford model.

powercrazy wrote:Yeah, I reached out to Woot CS yesterday and while they got back to me, they had no answers... Its frustrating - considering its the kind of item I'd hate to see sitting out in the rain for a day I'd really like to have a tracking number!

BTW - I'm sorry this is your first Woot experience. If it is any consolation, I have been a member since around 2004 and have bought almost 50 things from them - this is by far the worst shipping delay I've ever seen. Normally they ship everything within a week of ordering and I've always been happy with what I've received. I'd suggest you don't blame Woot in this specific case but the Metro vendor - give Woot another shot! ;-)

alexfierro

lingervette wrote:I haven't connected that particular wire to ground yet in my RAV4, I will try when I get a chance. Have you noticed that the factory AUX port that sits by the center console is no longer usable? I can't seem to get it to work even though the factory wire harness is plugged in properly in the back of the headunit.

I plugged it in but haven't used it yet. Not sure what "mode" would even use that. AUX setting uses the Video In/AUX In L/AUX In R composite cables. So that's what I am using. I suppose you could always get a L/R Female to 3.5mm female wire and that can be your new AUX jack...

OH! And yes! As soon as I grounded out the grey wire marked "AUX DET", the mode became enabled and it works GREAT.

Reconboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Reconboy
jdevas wrote:Same scenario here. Ordered 5/21/2013. Now it is 6/7/2013 and still "Awaiting Shipping." Getting kind of impatient. Contacted woot and they said it ships straight from the manufacturer, so they can't help track it.

BTW I ordered the Ford model.

There maybe a delay because their ford unit and I think the chevy unit are defective with the GPS.

Also understand this Units you purchased are EOL (End Of Life)or a so called clearance sale so that is why you are getting bottom dollar deals on these units.

Yet they already knew there was a issue with the Ford head unit but persistently decided to make another run of sales.

I would seriously ask Woot for a refund and not to purchase this unit. I should have when I had the chance but I already sold my other unit so I was not going to leave a big hole in my dash and decided to wait it out for hope they would send a good unit.

If you want more information you can read here from the previous sale they had:

http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5407471

fatsnack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatsnack

Did anyone get a solid way to fix the GPS hanging on the blue screen? Other than taking out the sd card and putting it back in?

themick7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themick7

My Ford unit got stuck on the GPS Loading... screen of death. Rather than pay to ship it to some random repair shop in connecticut only to later be shipped another defective unit, I cut my losses and RMA's with woot... Other than the GPS issue, a clumsy UI, and some goofiness with the install it was a decent radio for the money.

powercrazy

Well, I've now contacted Woot support 3 times over two weeks to the stock response of 'we are contacting your vendor for an update'... I've got to say, this is destroying any reputation woot had built up with me over the years. Is it too hard to get a frickin' answer of:
1) Has the item shipped, if not when?
2) If it has, what is the tracking number?

If I was told it wouldn't ship for 4 weeks I would have been ok with that, but telling me nothing, that is just BS.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

powercrazy wrote:Well, I've now contacted Woot support 3 times over two weeks to the stock response of 'we are contacting your vendor for an update'... I've got to say, this is destroying any reputation woot had built up with me over the years. Is it too hard to get a frickin' answer of:
1) Has the item shipped, if not when?
2) If it has, what is the tracking number?

If I was told it wouldn't ship for 4 weeks I would have been ok with that, but telling me nothing, that is just BS.

I'm sorry for the problems. Let me contact CS and see what I can find out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

powercrazy

Thank you - I truly appreciate it. Like I have said in previous posts, Woot has typically been outstanding - although this is the first time I've ever bought anything not fulfilled by Woot directly - maybe there's my problem? ;-). Any info would be great. Its been a Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop! start to June and I just don't want it sitting in the rain for a day because I don't know its coming....

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sorry for the problems. Let me contact CS and see what I can find out.

theenglishman60

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theenglishman60

The units have no warranty advised by Metra sold to Woot as closeout and no warranty, as Woot stated 3 year warranty, they should refund all buyers $100, just what other units cost with no GPS

ThunderThighs

Staff

theenglishman60 wrote:The units have no warranty advised by Metra sold to Woot as closeout and no warranty, as Woot stated 3 year warranty, they should refund all buyers $100, just what other units cost with no GPS

The warranty will be as we stated. If you have trouble getting warranty service from Metra, contact support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pjabbott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjabbott

Count me in as one more person who now has the black screen of death instead a functional navigation system. Any further info on this?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pjabbott wrote:Count me in as one more person who now has the black screen of death instead a functional navigation system. Any further info on this?

Sorry for the problem. There are a few units that are experiencing this problem. Contact Metra and they'll help you out.

FORUM MODERATOR

Bogie21

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Bogie21

I finally got my unit installed for $220 at a local audio shop. It sat in a friends garage for almost 4 months before I went over there and took it back.

I purchase the: Metra MDF-5812-2 Ford 2004-2012 Direct Fit OE Style Multimedia+Navigation System

So far it works great, no issues. Navigation is a little... crappy, but I didn't buy it just for the navigation.

I have not had a chance to check the USB, iPod, SD Card, DVD or Auxiliary ports (Front and Back). But the Blu-Tooth, Radio, Nav all work great. If I don't report back, I found that they all function properly.

My only complaint is that the sub makes a small pop sound when turning on the car. The Audio guy said it's normal for most after market head units. Anyone know if this is true?

tattoorific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tattoorific
Bogie21 wrote:I finally got my unit installed for $220 at a local audio shop. It sat in a friends garage for almost 4 months before I went over there and took it back.

I purchase the: Metra MDF-5812-2 Ford 2004-2012 Direct Fit OE Style Multimedia+Navigation System

So far it works great, no issues. Navigation is a little... crappy, but I didn't buy it just for the navigation.

I have not had a chance to check the USB, iPod, SD Card, DVD or Auxiliary ports (Front and Back). But the Blu-Tooth, Radio, Nav all work great. If I don't report back, I found that they all function properly.

My only complaint is that the sub makes a small pop sound when turning on the car. The Audio guy said it's normal for most after market head units. Anyone know if this is true?

Not true. You need an AFDI-5V. The amp in your ford requires a 5V turn on. The part recommended will make that happen.

Bogie21

tattoorific wrote:Not true. You need an AFDI-5V. The amp in your ford requires a 5V turn on. The part recommended will make that happen.

Good to know!

I came here to mention two issues I'm having. First and foremost, the navigation has stopped working. When I select to use navigation, it sits there with a black screen. I imagine this is the same issue other people are having. The second issue is the buttons on either side don't light up when I turn on my lights. I believe this is an issue with it not being wired correctly. I'll have to take it back to where I had it installed to get that taken care of.

I have tested Everything else except for putting in a DVD and the rest looks great. Since I'm out $220 getting it installed, I'm not going to deal with RMAing it.

casionerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages casionerd

I know I'm really late to this discussion and no one will probably read this but I have a question and some info.

First the info. The Toyota Highlander MDF-8222-1 will work on a 2012 base model Highlander.

Now for the question. There is a parking brake wire that I think prevents the DVD player from playing unless the parking brake is applied. Since there were no instructions, I don't know what wire this goes to. It seems logical that it goes to a wire that gets power when the parking brake is applied... similar to the parking brake light. If that's the case, wouldn't connecting it to a wire that's live when the radio is on make it so the DVD player will work at any time the radio is on?

ThunderThighs

Staff

casionerd wrote:I know I'm really late to this discussion and no one will probably read this but I have a question and some info.

First the info. The Toyota Highlander MDF-8222-1 will work on a 2012 base model Highlander.

Now for the question. There is a parking brake wire that I think prevents the DVD player from playing unless the parking brake is applied. Since there were no instructions, I don't know what wire this goes to. It seems logical that it goes to a wire that gets power when the parking brake is applied... similar to the parking brake light. If that's the case, wouldn't connecting it to a wire that's live when the radio is on make it so the DVD player will work at any time the radio is on?

Have you tried contacting Metra for assistance?

FORUM MODERATOR

Bogie21

ThunderThighs wrote:Have you tried contacting Metra for assistance?

Still having issues with GPS. I tried the removal of the Micro SD card and popping it back it but it doesn't do anything.

Lights still don't work. I saw a PM today (which is why I'm back)with a recommendation to go into Settings and switch "Panel Light" to off. I'll have to try this when I hop into my car to go home from work.

I've contacted Metra who said since the item is EOL they will no longer support it. Sweet...

I spent an additional $100 on mounting brackets, connectors, steering wheel controls, so I'm out a little over $600 on this. I know it's not Woot's fault, but it still bites a bit. Since I'm not going to get a refund on my $220 install or additional necessary installation equipment I'm just going to suck it up until it drives me nuts and I spend another $600 on a unit that actually works.

Bogie21

Bogie21 wrote:
Lights still don't work. I saw a PM today (which is why I'm back)with a recommendation to go into Settings and switch "Panel Light" to off. I'll have to try this when I hop into my car to go home from work.

This worked! Thank you @bsmith1

Now if I could only get the GPS to work.

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1
casionerd wrote:
Now for the question. There is a parking brake wire that I think prevents the DVD player from playing unless the parking brake is applied. ... wouldn't connecting it to a wire that's live when the radio is on make it so the DVD player will work at any time the radio is on?

Pretty much. That wire just detects that there is a current (when parking brake on) and allows the DVD to play. Where you should connect this wire would vary by vehicle. The reverse camera has a similar wire that connects to the reverse lights so it switches to the reverse camera input automatically when the wire is "live".

HOWEVER, you may not have to even connect the wire. I have the GM version of the Metra unit and there is a setting in the system options to turn off "Brake Detection". When this setting to "off", I can have DVDs playing or media from the SD card while the car is in motion. Hope that helps. Just make sure you're careful and only your passengers operate/view the unit while the car is in motion. (common sense!)