kazper


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
phpeters87 wrote:Do the "Gunnar's" work well as regular sunglasses?



I don't own a pair, so take this with a grain of salt, but the fact that they're not polarized makes me think you can find a pair better suited for everyday sunglass use than these.

phpeters87


quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

"Gunnar Optiks Midnight Advanced Outdoor Eyewear"

This would lead me to believe that they are useful for outdoors.

Can anyone elaborate before they sell out?

Thanks.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
richerd wrote:Are the magnification for all of the glasses different? I remember reading that there was a .25 magnification.



Hi richerd. No, the magnification for all of our Amber indoor eye wear is the same and only .20 D. Our sunglasses, since they are made for outside use, do not have this add power and are completely plano.

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic
kazper wrote:I don't own a pair, so take this with a grain of salt, but the fact that they're not polarized makes me think you can find a pair better suited for everyday sunglass use than these.



But you could argue that polarized sunglasses make viewing already-polarized smartphone screens difficult. Since Gunnar is all about screen-viewing, I would think non-polarized would be more in line with their mission.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
anachostic wrote:My co-worker bought these a while ago and convinced me to get a pair. I bought the Groove. I actually did notice the difference, my eyes were not as dry at the end of the day. Some of it could be the tinting, but another benefit could have been blocking my eyes from a/c vents and airborne dust.

Sadly, I could never get the nose pads to stop burrowing into my skin and eventually after many attempts at adjusting them, I gave up wearing the glasses. (Note to GUNNAR product development: super-light titanium frames would be a great match.)

However, because I saw the value in the glasses and also because I'm a sucker, I bought a second pair - the e11ven. Maybe the solid plastic bridge will be kinder to my nose.



Hi anachostic. We have these frames already available in most of our GAMING styles. Check out the MLG Legend, MLG Phantom, SteelSeries Scope, PPK, Paralex, and Vayper. In the Computer styles we only have Sheadog and Rocket. They're constructed from stainless steel and titanium materials and are the most light weight frames we have.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
phpeters87 wrote:"Gunnar Optiks Midnight Advanced Outdoor Eyewear"

This would lead me to believe that they are useful for outdoors.

Can anyone elaborate before they sell out?

Thanks.



Hi phpeters87. You are correct, these would be considered sunglasses and made for outdoor use. They are completely plano and do not have any sort of add power. However, since our mission is to give you the best experience while viewing your electronics, our sunglasses are not polarized so that they don't react negatively to your digital screens outside. We use a gradient technology that goes from darkest at top and a bit lighter as you get towards the bottom of the lens. Perfect if you have navigation screens or LCD screens in the car.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
kazper wrote:I don't own a pair, so take this with a grain of salt, but the fact that they're not polarized makes me think you can find a pair better suited for everyday sunglass use than these.



Hi kazper. Our mission is to give you the best experience while viewing your digital devices. Since most digital screens are already polarized, this makes viewing them with polarized sunglasses very difficult. Most people have to lift their sunglasses to get a clear look of what they are viewing. Hence we use a gradient technology that still protects from the sun and all UVA/UVB, but also allows you to view your digital devices without hassle.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
babmeers wrote:There are three Edge Advanced glasses listed. Is there any difference? Just looking at them, they appear the same to me.



Hi babmeers. They're all the same style, just different frame color options.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
kazper wrote:Did this link not work for anyone else? I keep getting a "not found" error. I'm split on the decision to buy these. Do the frame arms have a soft piece of material that rests on the skin or is it metal to skin contact? I visited your website and tried searching by head type, but I'm not sure what mine is ( suggestion: you might want to include examples, a simple diagram should work). I have the problem of the frame arms eventually stretching out and becoming too large (wide head). Suggestions?



Hi kazper. I'm sorry the link did not work for you. Please email me at van@gunnars.com and I can send you the measurements directly.

For big/wide heads, I would recommend the Midnight style which is the widest hinge to hinge measurement. This style also has spring hinges which allow for more comfort if you have a big head.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
kelmar6821 wrote:Anyone know if these meet ansi specs?



Hi kelmar6821. Unfortunately, they do not. There is one GUNNAR style currently undergoing ansi testing, the RPG. However we do not have the results yet, so for now the answer is no.

kazper


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
anachostic wrote:But you could argue that polarized sunglasses make viewing already-polarized smartphone screens difficult. Since Gunnar is all about screen-viewing, I would think non-polarized would be more in line with their mission.



I guess you are correct, in that it depends on your intended usage. To view screens, most likely a good choice. Regular, outdoor use other than screen viewing...questionable.

sparki1980


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparki1980

Was checking various ones out on the Gunnar website, and wanted to know - is their a functional difference btwn ones classified as "computer" and those that are "gaming" (they are 2 seperate product lists on the site)?

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
sparki1980 wrote:Was checking various ones out on the Gunnar website, and wanted to know - is their a functional difference btwn ones classified as "computer" and those that are "gaming" (they are 2 seperate product lists on the site)?



Hi sparki1980. We got a ton of feedback from gamers and an alarming majority of them said they wear a headset or headphones while gaming. Therefore with the gaming frames, we constructed flat temples to ensure the most comfort when wearing the eyewear with a headset. These frames are also made with a stainless steel titanium mixture and are very strong but super light weight.
Our computer styles and colors are very basic (black and silver) with more office professional frame styles. It really just comes down to the different frame style for different environments.

phpeters87


quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87
vanuary wrote:Hi phpeters87. You are correct, these would be considered sunglasses and made for outdoor use. They are completely plano and do not have any sort of add power. However, since our mission is to give you the best experience while viewing your electronics, our sunglasses are not polarized so that they don't react negatively to your digital screens outside. We use a gradient technology that goes from darkest at top and a bit lighter as you get towards the bottom of the lens. Perfect if you have navigation screens or LCD screens in the car.



Thanks. I'll give the "Gunnar Optiks Midnight Advanced Outdoor Eyewear - Onyx Grey" a try. Just ordered them.

megaherz76


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megaherz76

Another dumb question: Will I be able to use the MLG Lengend pair while wearing contact lenses?

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
megaherz76 wrote:Another dumb question: Will I be able to use the MLG Lengend pair while wearing contact lenses?



Hi megaherz76. Absolutely. All of our over-the-counter eyewear is designed for people who are still lucky enough to have 20/20 vision or people with corrected 20/20 (contact lenses or Lasik surgery).

megaherz76


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megaherz76

Thank you, Vanuary! Can't wait for mine to arrive now!!

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
megaherz76 wrote:Thank you, Vanuary! Can't wait for mine to arrive now!!



NO problem! GUNNARS are great for contact lens wearers. Since most of us already experience a dry eye effect because of the contacts, GUNNARS actually help combat the dry effect so your eyes aren't dry and scratchy by the end of the day. I have personally been wearing GUNNARS and contact lenses for 5 years, so I definitely recommend it.

DarcClan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarcClan

I have a pair of these in prescription that I got through a local eye doctor. All you have to do is find an office that uses Zeiss labs to make their lenses. You can call Zeiss and they can tell you, that is what I did. I had my choice of several in my mid sized city. If you're planning on getting a pair through Woot double check that the frames you're looking at are available to have a prescription in them. My fiance just bought a pair of the pink anime style to have our local eye doctor send to Zeiss for prescription lenses. (You can use insurance doing it that way, ordering off the Gunnar website you cannot)

zushiba


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zushiba

Woot! Why do you do this too me? I work at a compter for 18 hours a day.

Every time these come up I say "YES Finally! A cheap pair of Gunnar Optiks, owwww, they are all sold out. Damn I'll get them next time.

The next time, again they are all sold out by the time I notice them.

Finally, FINALLY you have a pair that I like, in a style that I like (Anime) And they are in stock! But you have to choose the month when I'm raising kittens who's mom is now gone and had to take them all to the vet for various vaccinations & deworming stuff effectively killing my cash reserves this month until the end of the month.

Woot, come clean with me. You don't want me to own a pair of these do you.

flippant

kazper


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

I find myself flipping back and forth between buying these and not. First, I'm debating between the e11vens and the midnight avs. The pads on the e11vens look much more comfortable, which is important because I don't wear glasses and fear the pads may end up hurting after too much wear. Second, since we cannot try these on, it is a huge crap shoot. What happens if I buy these and they are extremely uncomfortable? What recourse would I have (refund, exchange, something else) and what about return shipping cost. Trying to get the full picture before I jump in.
Thanks!

sparki1980


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparki1980
vanuary wrote:Hi sparki1980. We got a ton of feedback from gamers and an alarming majority of them said they wear a headset or headphones while gaming. Therefore with the gaming frames, we constructed flat temples to ensure the most comfort when wearing the eyewear with a headset. These frames are also made with a stainless steel titanium mixture and are very strong but super light weight.



Thanks for the feedback, I'd be getting for both office use and gaming, which I do occasionally use a headset for. I was looking at the Midnight, but wonder is there a gaming style that you'd recommend for the big headed? Cause the flat temples and light weight sound like a nice plus to have.

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic
kazper wrote:I find myself flipping back and forth between buying these and not. First, I'm debating between the e11vens and the midnight avs. The pads on the e11vens look much more comfortable, which is important because I don't wear glasses and fear the pads may end up hurting after too much wear. Second, since we cannot try these on, it is a huge crap shoot. What happens if I buy these and they are extremely uncomfortable? What recourse would I have (refund, exchange, something else) and what about return shipping cost. Trying to get the full picture before I jump in.
Thanks!



I would say if you have doubts about the pads, go with the e11vens. The pads are tiny compared to normal glasses.

Here's a pic of my ray bans and the Gunnar Groove

colin91473


quality posts: 2 Private Messages colin91473

I'm horribly dissapointed with mine. This was honestly the worst thing I have ever gotten off Woot before. I personally don't feel they do anything that they claim and in all honesty it's much worse using them than not. The lenses are off or something just to start as in when I look through them I can't focus on anything. Perhaps the lense curvature is wrong or off.. I don't know. I have never had any kind of issues like these with any type of glasses ever before. I'm pretty disgusted that I wasted money on them. I really did give them a solid try. I wore them for probably a total of 20+ hours of gaming to give them a real try. I got to the point I go so disgusted with the reduction in clarity and ability to see what I was doing I took them off and never went back. Maybe I got a lemon pair or something, but I don't see how these could have passed any kind of quality control.

kazper


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
anachostic wrote:I would say if you have doubts about the pads, go with the e11vens. The pads are tiny compared to normal glasses.

Here's a pic of my ray bans and the Gunnar Groove



Thanks for the picture Anachostic. I didn't realize there were pads of this sort. Based on the stock picture it looked more like the plastic padding/cushioning, which from my experience is much more comfortable. Yours looks more in line with what you'd expect to find with regular glasses pads.

quentonious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages quentonious
uallas5 wrote:I would get a pair but they don't come in any type of standard magnification level, i.e. reading glasses. I only wear 1.0 readers and most out there are small, assuming you're looking down at a book. I need them bigger so I can look straight at my laptop screen.



Apparently you haven't seen the RPGs. I have that pair, they are freaking monsters. Perfect for my abnormally large head. I just might pick up a pair for my parents. Usually they are around a hundred bucks a pair!

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
kazper wrote:I find myself flipping back and forth between buying these and not. First, I'm debating between the e11vens and the midnight avs. The pads on the e11vens look much more comfortable, which is important because I don't wear glasses and fear the pads may end up hurting after too much wear. Second, since we cannot try these on, it is a huge crap shoot. What happens if I buy these and they are extremely uncomfortable? What recourse would I have (refund, exchange, something else) and what about return shipping cost. Trying to get the full picture before I jump in.
Thanks!



Hi kazper. Here is a photo of the e11ven nosepads (above) vs the Midnight nosepads (below):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wga56hfgzb3yktg/photo1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb1j49e4i67vncc/photo2.jpg
If you can't view the link, email me directly at van@gunnars.com and I will email you the photos.

Please review the size chart I posted, that will give you a good idea if the frame is your size.

Before making a purchase, I would review the WOOT return and exchange policies, since you would need to handle any exchange/return with WOOT. GUNNAR can only handle warranty issues that arise.
For more details on our warranty policy, please visit: http://www.gunnars.com/warranty.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
sparki1980 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I'd be getting for both office use and gaming, which I do occasionally use a headset for. I was looking at the Midnight, but wonder is there a gaming style that you'd recommend for the big headed? Cause the flat temples and light weight sound like a nice plus to have.



Hi sparki1980. Of the styles in this WOOT sale, I would recommend Midnight. If you're looking at our GAMING section, the style I'd suggest is the RPG and has a hinge to hinge measurement of 140mm (one of the largest frames we have).

labellamorte


quality posts: 0 Private Messages labellamorte

Could I buy a pair of these and get rx lenses later or would it be better to just wait and get rx ones first. Thinking maybe I could try them out with contacts.

DayWalkerSC400


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DayWalkerSC400

My gunnar glasses arrived today. I did 2 day shipping because I am going out of town soon and needed them for my trip. I ordered the "edge" frame. I have used them for less than an hour (I am wearing them right now) and my initial impression is positive.

Here is a quick review for those interested: my first impression when I put them on is that they are VERY lightweight and comfortable. If it wasn't for the yellow tint I wouldn't know I had them on. I had LASIK surgery a few years back and so I am no stranger to glasses. I did some texting with my iPhone and immediately noticed that the glasses reduce the "harshness" of the led light produced by the screen. So, in that respect it makes the screen much more comfortable to look at by taking The "edge" off the bright light and burning sensation you experience from looking at the screen. I understand that there is a program available for free that will do the same thing; however, I find the glasses helpful for times where you cannot install a program on the computer you are using (because of use company policy, etc).

You also notice the slight magnification which I find helpful; however, the magnification makes these glasses inappropriate for watching tv or looking at a screen that is further than arm's length away because the picture looks blurry. (You can wear them while watching tv but the picture won't be as sharp).

That said, the frame feels very cheap and flimsy. This does not worry me because I am pretty anal about my belongings and so take good care of things but the fame does not seem very robust and probably won't stand up to much abuse. Buying these directly from gunnar optiks would be a disappointment as these don't feel like $100 glasses. Maybe the r&d or lens development justify charging such a price but the feeling of the frames do not. Honestly, for the feel of the frame the $44 I paid was acceptable but the glasses would be a better deal at $30 with shipping (this is for the feel of the frame, they seem to work and reduce my eye strain and burning sensation/eye fatigue and so therefore are worth the higher price).

The frame is very good looking. My girlfriend was worried these would look bad; however, after trying them on she said they looked really good on me and it was not at all what she was expecting (she us brutally honest and was skeptical about the glasses). The yellow lenses also gave her cause for concern but she says that while I am wearing them you cannot really tell they are yellow unless you look directly at them and even then it is not incredibly noticeable. She said they definitely looked more yellow in the pictures and when they are not being worn.

I will know more once I try them out for an extended period of time; however, had I been writing this without my gunnar glasses I would have already been experiencing some eye fatigue and burning and this has not happened yet while wearing the gunnar glasses. Perhaps this is a placebo effect or maybe they really do work. Either way, they seem to work and are therefore worth the price.

If, after time, they prove to keep working for me I may purchase a pair with the clear lenses but time will tell if it will be worth it.

Overall, they seem to function as promised (which I am very happy with as I am a law student and gamer so i spend a lot of time in front of a screen). My only two complaints would be that they feel cheap (but perhaps that is linked to their lightweight which is a plus) and when they arrived the white box they came in seemed dirty and the glasses had packaging dirt and specks on the lenses. But as far as I can tell the specks have been removed by washing the lenses under water (no soap) and then drying them off/cleaning them with he microfiber cloth provided in the box. Either way, the specks are not noticeable while they are being worn.

So far I am VERY happy with these glasses. They look great and seem to work. At woot prices, they are definitely worth it! (Plus if you buy them and don't like them, just save the box and give them as a gift. Everyone uses a computer and probably experiences eye-fatigue and so it won't be a waste of money.)

uallas5


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uallas5
quentonious wrote:Apparently you haven't seen the RPGs. I have that pair, they are freaking monsters. Perfect for my abnormally large head. I just might pick up a pair for my parents. Usually they are around a hundred bucks a pair!



Thanks for the suggestion quent but unfortunately the power on the lenses is .20 which is a 5th of the mag power of my 1.0 readers.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
labellamorte wrote:Could I buy a pair of these and get rx lenses later or would it be better to just wait and get rx ones first. Thinking maybe I could try them out with contacts.



Yes, you can buy a pair on the WOOT sale and submit them directly to GUNNAR to get the RX lenses put in later. Just make sure that the frame you purcahse is Rx-able. Of the styles left, only Anime and Midnight are Rx-able.
Please email me directly at van@gunnars.com to get instructions on this process.

aquadood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aquadood

These are listed as new, however, mine arrived with fingerprints all over the gunnar box, the box label that has the style, color and lens was ripped. The white box inside that flips open has black fingerprint smudges on it, and the lenses of the glasses are dusty. Something leads me to believe these are not as new as the listing made them out to be.

DayWalkerSC400


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DayWalkerSC400
aquadood wrote:These are listed as new, however, mine arrived with fingerprints all over the gunnar box, the box label that has the style, color and lens was ripped. The white box inside that flips open has black fingerprint smudges on it, and the lenses of the glasses are dusty. Something leads me to believe these are not as new as the listing made them out to be.



Mine were in a similar condition. The white box seemed oddly "smudged" and the lenses had dust on them; however, there were no fingerprints on the box or lenses. But the white portion holding the glasses in place seemed dirty.

But since there were no scratches I thought it was ok. I attributed the dust and dirt to bad handling during packaging and shipping...

SumDuud


quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
aquadood wrote:These are listed as new, however, mine arrived with fingerprints all over the gunnar box, the box label that has the style, color and lens was ripped. The white box inside that flips open has black fingerprint smudges on it, and the lenses of the glasses are dusty. Something leads me to believe these are not as new as the listing made them out to be.

mine arrived and there doesn't seem to be any smudges, but the label was cut. I figured it was just part of woot getting them.

I got the signatures and they feel tight on my head. I got them because they say "flexible temples" but I guess that is the same as the spring hinges. I'll give them a try and see if I like the lenses, then if I do I'll wait for another sail and try for the midnights or whatever the equivalent is; just need to make sure I get the springs as flexible temples doesn't mean the arms will bend out as I thought it did.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

kazper


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

Decided to take the plunge and bought the e11vens. I'll let you know how it goes...

aquadood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aquadood
DayWalkerSC400 wrote:Mine were in a similar condition. The white box seemed oddly "smudged" and the lenses had dust on them; however, there were no fingerprints on the box or lenses. But the white portion holding the glasses in place seemed dirty.

But since there were no scratches I thought it was ok. I attributed the dust and dirt to bad handling during packaging and shipping...



Check the inside of the frame, where it folds. I bought the midnight, and the paint has been scratched off where they have been opened and closed. You'll see silver if you have a coated black frame.

Darkian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Darkian

Bought 3, 2 has already arrived already and both had their seal broken and one of them had no tag. Pretty sure we are buying returned product from people who are not satisfied with their gunnars. These are clearly not new as described on their listing. Mark it returned or refurbished if these are not new. Should have saved me the trouble from buying them.

furrycurry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages furrycurry
Darkian wrote:Bought 3, 2 has already arrived already and both had their seal broken and one of them had no tag. Pretty sure we are buying returned product from people who are not satisfied with their gunnars. These are clearly not new as described on their listing. Mark it returned or refurbished if these are not new. Should have saved me the trouble from buying them.



I picked up the Titans and my seal was broken too. Also looked like the frames were scratched a bit but not enough for me to care too much.

I'd get another pair if the Crystaline glasses ever end up on woot.

phpeters87


quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

I ordered the "Gunnar Optiks Midnight Advanced Outdoor Eyewear - Onyx Grey" Sunglasses and they arrived quickly, in about 2 days.

First impressions - they look and feel like they are well-built, quality sunglasses. They just have that certain "feel" to them.

I put them on and they fit great, are extremely comfortable and are so light you don't even feel them on your head/face. They also seem to enhance objects while outdoors/driving and they also look bad-ass.

I've already gotten several compliments on them, including one from a complete stranger and she wasn't bad looking, either.

I can't find much info about the lenses, what they are made of, UV protection, etc...

Note: These are not "gaming" or computing/LCD glasses, but strictly sunglasses.

They list for $150.00 on the Gunnar web site and with tax + shipping, they came to $51.00 and some change here on Woot.

I love these Sunglasses. Only negative is that they don't fit in a metal sunglass case that I have as the curvature is too wide for them to fit.

Oh well. I think these are great sunglasses, especially for the price.

My last several Woot purchases have been Home Runs, including these Sunglasses.