WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Can you name all 50 state capitals?
  • 13.7% - Yup! 375
  • 44.9% - Probably, but I might be rusty on a couple. 1234
  • 41.4% - Definitely not. Who cares? 1137
2746 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

defjab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages defjab

For those that want to try their hand - http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/uscapitals

although it DOES include a map, which some may consider cheating.

BTW I missed 9 myself in the allotted 10 minutes, and that was while i was tyring to recall the lyrics to the animaniacs song from memory

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

Thank you Mrs. Weiburg and Animaniacs! She made us sing that song every dang day. Still know every word.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Indianapolis, Indiana and Columbus is the Capitol of O-HI-O.....

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

I bet Obama can't name the capitals of the 57 states he visited...

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Who cares? Especially when most state capitols make NO sense at all. Springfield, Illinois instead of Chicago? Tallahassee Florida instead of Orlando/Miami/Tampa? Sacramento California instead of L.A./San Francisco? Albany NY instead of New York City? I could go on and on...

Magauthe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Magauthe

As we say in the south "Oh HAIL NO!"

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix
theother1 wrote:I bet Obama can't name the capitals of the 57 states he visited...

I remember when WOOT was such a fun, happy place.

Blochead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blochead

I actually have a game I play with this one.....Ask somebody to name five State Capitals. Each correct answer is worth 1 point. Deduct a point for each incorrect answer. Each time a wrong answer is given also eliminate that State from the game. In other words, no second chances. About 10% of my fellow Americans can make it to 5 points. It's so damn sad.

rambo555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rambo555
trixierix wrote:I remember when WOOT was such a fun, happy place.

Still is a fun and happy place. A little poking doesn't make it a bad place.

lanni260

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanni260

walla walla

jeffredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

I'm a geography nut - it would be pretty easy.

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Who cares? Especially when most state capitols make NO sense at all. Springfield, Illinois instead of Chicago? Tallahassee Florida instead of Orlando/Miami/Tampa? Sacramento California instead of L.A./San Francisco? Albany NY instead of New York City? I could go on and on...

tmfrizzell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmfrizzell
groberts1980 wrote:Who cares? Especially when most state capitols make NO sense at all. Springfield, Illinois instead of Chicago? Tallahassee Florida instead of Orlando/Miami/Tampa? Sacramento California instead of L.A./San Francisco? Albany NY instead of New York City? I could go on and on...

Why for you have to hate on Tallahassee?

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol
groberts1980 wrote:Who cares? Especially when most state capitols make NO sense at all. Springfield, Illinois instead of Chicago? Tallahassee Florida instead of Orlando/Miami/Tampa? Sacramento California instead of L.A./San Francisco? Albany NY instead of New York City? I could go on and on...

Knowledge is not a bad thing.

nicepairofwooters

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nicepairofwooters

I could probably named them if given enough time, but I can name all 27 kids in my son's class. I think the second feat is more important.

nicepairofwooters

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nicepairofwooters

Sacramento was a bigger city than L.A. when it became capital in 1854, having 4 times as many people. SF had more people, but they were 98% gold miners and affliates. Sacramento was a more settled city at the time.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
trixierix wrote:Thank you Mrs. Weiburg and Animaniacs! She made us sing that song every dang day. Still know every word.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Indianapolis, Indiana and Columbus is the Capitol of O-HI-O.....

Yeah...but "Maryland..they have wonderful clam chowder"? Oyster stew, blue crabs...yes. Clams, not so much.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

canucker1983

quality posts: 17 Private Messages canucker1983

I'm from Canada and they think I'm slow eh?

Luckily we only have 13 provinces/territories and capitals to remember!

Even still, I have a hard time remembering them all.

Zarabear

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarabear

Thank you for the Animaniacs clip, I was so going to toss that in the thread and you saved me some work. ;)

I'm having my son learn the song now. (He's 10) Also the Presidents!

~Zara

Too many to list... Woot on, Wayne.

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

The Fifty State Capitals:

A, C, D, F, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V, and W.

The capital of Alabama is A, Alaska is A, etc.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
theother1 wrote:I bet Obama can't name the capitals of the 57 states he visited...

LOL,only a dunce would not know he obviously meant 47 states! Hey I like your pointed hat !

mharri08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mharri08

Many capitals are in the center of the state to make it easier for citizens to reach the capital in days before air travel. Others are in smaller cities in states with two larger cities. Can't decide between LA, the Bay Area (or San Diego), then Sacramento wins. Same with Columbus vs. Cincy and Cleveland.