3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

Hey now...600 thread count Egyptian sheets is luxury that would even make King Tut blush!

I got something better than luck.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

So, we finally see real cotton sheets - but they have a sateen weave. So close.

JOSEPHBIANCOJR

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JOSEPHBIANCOJR

Blue already sold out? Was there only one set???

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
thumperchick wrote:So, we finally see real cotton sheets - but they have a sateen weave. So close.

For my own understanding, what's wrong with a sateen weave? What are the alternatives and what makes them preferable?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

JOSEPHBIANCOJR wrote:Blue already sold out? Was there only one set???

Not all colors are available in all sizes. Looks like we only have Blue in King.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

Holding out for 1000tc or higher.

wpolyak

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wpolyak
clintone wrote:For my own understanding, what's wrong with a sateen weave? What are the alternatives and what makes them preferable?

From Wikipedia:
The sateen structure is four over, one under, placing the most threads on the surface, making it extremely soft, though slightly less durable than other weaves.

I've had similar Egyptian Cotton sheets for 2 years and they've held up pretty good.

mnbigguy

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnbigguy

Sorry, I just giggle when I see Egyptian cotton made in India. Gotta feel for Egypt.

mingm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mingm
clintone wrote:For my own understanding, what's wrong with a sateen weave? What are the alternatives and what makes them preferable?

This has a pretty through explanation
http://www.overstock.com/guides/egyptian-cotton-sheets-vs-sateen-sheets

ThunderThighs

Staff

mingm wrote:This has a pretty through explanation
http://www.overstock.com/guides/egyptian-cotton-sheets-vs-sateen-sheets

But these are Egyptian Cotton Sateen. Where does that fit in their comparison.

Signed,
Confused.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010

There are basically three weaves for sheets percale, sateen and batiste. Percale is a one under, one over weave. Percale can be soft or crisp depending on the finish and is more breathable than sateen. Sateen is a four over, one under weave which is shinier and softer. Batiste is a one over, one under weave with a fine yarn and is rough. So you either want a percale or sateen sheet and that really depends on what you prefer. I like the sateen weave personally.

skrobo21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skrobo21

If you are looking for 100% true cotton how about these for $38/shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVXDD0S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

A lot of people quoted the technical aspect. For what its worth, here is my subjective 2 cents.

The alternative to Sateen is just a "plain" weave. Sateen sheets are known for having a similar feel to satin or silk (hence the name). Some people (myself included) find satin/silk/sateen to feel "slippery". At least that is the most frequent complaint I hear (and is the complaint I have about it).

Plain weave sheets are closer to "jersey" cotton in terms of slipperiness. But they dont stretch like jersey, so they dont feel as clingy. They are also more durable than jersey.

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010
ThunderThighs wrote:But these are Egyptian Cotton Sateen. Where does that fit in their comparison.

Signed,
Confused.

Let me help ya'll clear this up. There are different types of cotton. Egyptian cotton just has a fine, long staple, meaning the fibers are long. That makes a softer fabric when woven. Sateen is just the weave-see my previous post.

Face76

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Face76

Sateen weaves have more vertical than horizontal yarns. The higher proportion of vertical threads results in an extremely soft fabric, but one that is more apt to pill and tear than a plain weave.

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
ThunderThighs wrote:But these are Egyptian Cotton Sateen. Where does that fit in their comparison.

Signed,
Confused.

After getting off my lazy rear end, I started looking up the different kinds of sheets. From what I could gather, it seems the overstock definition blurred two distinct features-type of cotton and weave. Within the type of cotton, you've got Egyptian, pima, and American Upland. A separate feature is the weave-sateen, percale, and oxford. Thanks to Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/270671/choosing-cotton-sheets

Regardless, for the thread count this seems a pretty good deal. I bought 700tc Egyptian sateeen from BB&B that were fairly well discounted for more than this. My problem is that I use threadcount as the main consideration. I didn't realize there may be an inherent inferiority of one weave versus another. I figured percale vs. sateen was more a personal preference.

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

So is percale where it's at?

khateyes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages khateyes
thumperchick wrote:So, we finally see real cotton sheets - but they have a sateen weave. So close.

Yes Pima cotton is preferable for crisp sheets....the thread count is good- anything higher would bet too heavy...

ThunderThighs

Staff

clintone wrote:After getting off my lazy rear end, I started looking up the different kinds of sheets. From what I could gather, it seems the overstock definition blurred two distinct features-type of cotton and weave. Within the type of cotton, you've got Egyptian, pima, and American Upland. A separate feature is the weave-sateen, percale, and oxford. Thanks to Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/270671/choosing-cotton-sheets

Regardless, for the thread count this seems a pretty good deal. I bought 700tc Egyptian sateeen from BB&B that were fairly well discounted for more than this. My problem is that I use threadcount as the main consideration. I didn't realize there may be an inherent inferiority of one weave versus another. I figured percale vs. sateen was more a personal preference.

That's what I got from their explanation. Didn't make sense to assume that sateen wasn't Egyptian cotton.

FORUM MODERATOR

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
ThunderThighs wrote:That's what I got from their explanation. Didn't make sense to assume that sateen wasn't Egyptian cotton.

I am guessing that Overstock stocks Cotton Sateen and Egyptian Cotton but does not stock Egyptian Cotton Sateen... therefore the comparison would work for their site but doesn't help us.

Edit: Well, no, they do have ECS. So... it makes no sense at all.

Maybe at the time that was written they didn't have the combo.

jcflman

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman

Everything is so technical nowadays! I just want to know if these sheets are soft like a bear's tummy & will last until the end of time. Is that too much to ask? Sheesh.

ParadisePete

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ParadisePete
mnbigguy wrote:Sorry, I just giggle when I see Egyptian cotton made in India. Gotta feel for Egypt.

Next thing you know they'll be making french fries in the U.S.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

I'm not adding much, just that the price tonight is $69.99-$79.99.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

The description doesn't say and it is difficult to tell from the pictures, but if these are mercerised they will be less durable but will start off shiny and crisp looking, and make excellent drape material.

Just in case anyone bought the little singer machine and is wondering what a good easy project might be.

LightSpiral

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LightSpiral

Glad to see that these are 100% Egyptian Cotton!

Although I've not seen any naysayers comments on the thread thus far, typically the people critical of Egyptian Cotton (EC) saying it's overrated are undoubtedly people who were tricked into buying blends. There are plenty of tricksy marketers out there that slap "Egyptian Cotton" on their product front and center when the product only contains a small amount of EC woven with lesser cottons.

I love pure EC (sateen and percale, though mine are usually sateen) and have been slumbering splendidly on it for decades!

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

Others have given you the technical specs- so I'll just give you my opinion.
Sateen weaves feel good in the package, and then are slippery and more likely fall off the dang bed in the night. Also, for some unknown reason, my husband will beat the daylights out of sateen sheets - but not percale. Heck we can make cheap, boring old walmart sheets last a few years, but not sateen.

So for us - we're mean to our sheets in our sleep, and sateen needs a gentler hand.

crshort

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crshort

If it doesn't indicate that it is single ply, is it safe to assume it is not? Or is there something in the description that indicates it is inherently single ply?

odena02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages odena02

Luv Woot...been mbr since 07, but disappointed that more and more of the distributors that Woot is using don't support us (The Military mbrs) serving outside the US (APO Addresses)....

odena02

Bill2525

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bill2525

what if you're not Egyptian

I bought HOW MANY!?!?

ThunderThighs

Staff

odena02 wrote:Luv Woot...been mbr since 07, but disappointed that more and more of the distributors that Woot is using don't support us (The Military mbrs) serving outside the US (APO Addresses)....

So sorry. A lot of our stuff ships via FedEx Ground, especially drop shipped items. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

FORUM MODERATOR

SBourassa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SBourassa
ThunderThighs wrote:So sorry. A lot of our stuff ships via FedEx Ground, especially drop shipped items. FedEx doesn't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

Wrong! I've gotten a few things through them over here. http://www.fedex.com/us/smartpostguide/tutorials/9_APO.html

Edit: Yeah, not ground but still!

garthsworld

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garthsworld

Queen, King, and California King only? Have you forgotten about the millions of adults like myself who live in big cities and small apartments and who have Full sized beds?

darenka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darenka

Signed,
Confused.

-- Folks at Overstock are clueless. I used to sell cameras at K-Mart with a similar knowledge base; very little. If it's a general store (Wal-mart, Target, Overstock... ) the guides and sales people are not very reliable. Always seek a second opinion, or more.

Egyptian Cotton is a type of cotton. Sateen is a type of weave.

perrysticc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perrysticc

These may be a good deal, but not a great deal. Tuesday Morning has a queen 800TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen Sheet Set for $10 less. Colors are different, and I'm not including shipping, so it's not a direct comparison, but FYI:

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/800tc-egyptian-cotton-sateen-sheet-set/1311325.jsp

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
garthsworld wrote:Queen, King, and California King only? Have you forgotten about the millions of adults like myself who live in big cities and small apartments and who have Full sized beds?

And don't forget the thousands (millions??) of teenagers who will soon be going off to college for the first time. Some quality (i.e. not the ones Wal-Mart sells) XL twin sets would sell very well here. Any chance of seeing this?

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719
wpolyak wrote:From Wikipedia:
The sateen structure is four over, one under, placing the most threads on the surface, making it extremely soft, though slightly less durable than other weaves.

I've had similar Egyptian Cotton sheets for 2 years and they've held up pretty good.

I prefer a sateen weave. I have several sets of high TC sateen sheets that have gone through many, many washings. They are still soft and look great. The youngest set is over 3 years old, so I consider them very durable.

redhousecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redhousecat

To me, sateen sheets are terribly hot. I hate being hot when I sleep. It's almost like they aren't very breathable.

jcmoorman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcmoorman
perrysticc wrote:These may be a good deal, but not a great deal. Tuesday Morning has a queen 800TC Egyptian Cotton Sateen Sheet Set for $10 less. Colors are different, and I'm not including shipping, so it's not a direct comparison, but FYI:

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/800tc-egyptian-cotton-sateen-sheet-set/1311325.jsp

The only one I'm seeing cheaper is for the Full sized sheets which woot doesn't offer. If you compare same sizes, the link you posted and woot are the same.

jlagraff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jlagraff

Can anyone here offer a comparison of Egyptian cotton vs Bamboo of similar TC and weave? I've never felt Egyptian cotton before and two years ago when my wife ordered bamboo I thought it sounded crazy. Boy was I wrong, they feel almost like silk to me except that silk would be to slippery for my tastes. I can't speak to durability of bamboo other than after 2 years they still seem almost like new.