Mad Dog Mcgillicutty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mad Dog Mcgillicutty
ThunderThighs wrote:Heard back from CS. You emailed 6 months after the purchase that had a 90-day warranty. If the product was flat after the first week, you should have contacted the manufacturer immediately. I'm sorry for your experience but it was out of warranty.

Yowsa. I was on the fence about picking one of these up. This "tough luck" response on an out of warranty situation on a mattress cinched the "no-buy" decision for me.

I understand taking a bit of a warranty risk around electronics and items that might break in use, but 90 days for a mattress doesn't seem like a reasonable time to identify faulty construction.

Wooty woot!

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
ManiacDan wrote:This is the biggest reason I don't yet have a memory foam mattress. At 6'5" and 330lbs, I wreck even expensive innerspring mattresses in a year or less. I read above that the 5.5lb foam is better, but I don't know how long it will last under me.

for someone that big, you are likely better off with latex foam mattress, which is what's recommended for big guys.

lwang

If one is looking for a replacement topper, one can get just the foam, which is $200 for a 4" of 5LB memory foam:

http://sleep-easy.store.rakuten.com/p/4-thick-5-pound-density-memory-foam-mattress-topper-queen/227404336.html

lwang

svbebe wrote:I used viscoelastic foam in manufacturing when I was a furniture product development executive. If this foam is breaking down in less than a year, it IS NOT 4.0 pounds/cubic foot. As most people know, Chinese manufacturers will cheat on specifications if they know they can get away with it. I would be tempted to order a twin size mattress and disassemble the foam layers and weigh each layer. If the visco does weigh 4 pounds/cubic foot, then I would test it for additives such as sand or clay. Same thing with the bottom poly layer...it should weigh 3.0 pounds/cubic foot.

What about those memory foams that has gel inside it? I presume whatever gel they have in there, will make the foam heavier.

dandiddlydoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dandiddlydoo
vanevenhoven wrote:Agreed, for an everyday use. But for the guest bedroom it works very well. As a matter of fact, it's what we've used for over 3 years now and it's held up well. For our own use, I agree with you, and we went with a more dense, well known brand and are very happy.

What brand did you go with? Thanks

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

7 years ago we bought a Tempur()pedic. Back then (and I still think now) they didn't go on sale - there was a minimum price stores had to sell it at. As it were, we picked up an original (either 8" or 10", I can't remember) that was on clearance for $800 (I think), and the branded boxspring for $300. We are still as happy as can be with our purchase.

To the other big fella remarks, at one time, I was 260/265 (at 6'4"). While I'm still that tall, I run about 225 - and the Tempur()pedic is still fantastic 7 years later.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Woot! folks have had more recent good experiences with other products as I suspect technology has changed a ton in 7 years. It's why I'm reading this thread as I want to be informed whenever ours decides to give up the ghost. (did you see what I did there?).

All that said, a family member bought this woot! deal today on my recommendation for their guest bedroom.

I reminded them, and I would note here too - if you order one, make sure you allow it to expand and out-gas for 48 hours in a ventilated space. And don't touch the middle or lay on it for a few days to allow it to fully expand. And...if it's made in China (it is...), let it out-gas for a few more days, as it will have a chemical smell to it....

Whew. that was a dime answer to a nickle question, huh?

dandiddlydoo wrote:What brand did you go with? Thanks

hdtvcamera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hdtvcamera
LSTNYER wrote:Thank you

Separated at birth or psychic connection?

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
ManiacDan wrote:This is the biggest reason I don't yet have a memory foam mattress. At 6'5" and 330lbs, I wreck even expensive innerspring mattresses in a year or less. I read above that the 5.5lb foam is better, but I don't know how long it will last under me.

lwang wrote:for someone that big, you are likely better off with latex foam mattress, which is what's recommended for big guys.

Yep, I second that. Get yourself a latex rubber mattress. I found nothing that is more comfortable, and mine is over 30 years old and just like new. Never seems to wear out. I would buy nothing other than a latex mattress if I ever need a new bed.

wynmkr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wynmkr

Bought two a while ago.
one started sagging after about 6 months used by a single, 200# guy.
the other never got rid of it's weird smell and we replaced it will a regular mattress. That was in our spare room and seldom used.
I'd give this a pass.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 40 Private Messages dernst_ca1

Well I don't know who this Sarah Payton is, but I bought one of these almost in 2011 from woot in full size and its still great.

They come delivered in a tube and you have to let them fluff out.. They also smell really chemically when they are first opened but that goes away after a few days and then lingers slightly for about a month..

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

classysassy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages classysassy
lichme wrote:Overstock Review

do they sell the platform its on i would buy that

wootepie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootepie
LSTNYER wrote:Mattress aside, anyone know where the bed frame came from?

If you buy that Bed frame that is NOT included, you will stub your toes a million or so times on the front panel. There is NO toe kick space - you know, that space under your cupboard that allows you to walk right up to the counter. Just saying, that's all.

classysassy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages classysassy
lwang wrote:for someone that big, you are likely better off with latex foam mattress, which is what's recommended for big guys.

I sold beds for many years latex is slightly more durable but a dense memory foam with a good core underneath should hold up. I have two places, and I am a big guy. I use a serta iseries brand new though at one, and a tempurpedic at the other. If you get a rhapsody or higher i believe they put 7lb density in it, and it is holding up just fine. I use that at my primary residence. By the way good latex is expensive, it is one of the priciest things that can go in a bed.but the problem with tempurpedic is they overprice their product but it is better than most knockoffs. How ever comfopedic by simmons is not bad but it is in the same ball park as well.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors

Totally agree with eailer posts lauding a natural latex mattress. Absolutely the best sleeping surface ever. We have had guests / house swaps who have never slept on one replace their coil spring or memory foam setups after a few nights on our guest room latex mattress - has happened a few times.

Re memory foam - can't stand it. Too hot, too restrictive AND it really sucks for non-sleep related bedroom "activity" - absolutely no rebound at all - we like a little rebound ;)