quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

Item: Boogie Board Rip 9.5" LCD Writing Tablet
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Ignace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ignace

I didn't know anything about this until I watched the video.

It seems quite odd to me that this device has no way to store what one's written on it. Seems like a major fail. What am I missing?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"Good" review over at pcmag.com

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

This is for this product.

KcasMij

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KcasMij

I saw something on the specs that said 8mb stores up to 200 images.... I guess it does have some storage capability, but I'd rather have an SD card.

I actually keep a digital camera in my bag and just take a picture of my notes...works just like a mobile document camera...

Ignace wrote:I didn't know anything about this until I watched the video.

It seems quite odd to me that this device has no way to store what one's written on it. Seems like a major fail. What am I missing?

Centinel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Centinel

Amazon has a 10.5" version of this for the same price (and with free shipping, it appears). Am I missing something?

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar
Centinel wrote:Amazon has a 10.5" version of this for the same price (and with free shipping, it appears). Am I missing something?

The 10.5 inch one does not record and upload. It's just an etchasketch.

MondoPest

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MondoPest

These guys give it a 3 out of 5 - mainly because you can't save screens or erase portions (it's all or nothing):

http://gamingshogun.com/2013/03/21/boogie-board-rip-lcd-ewriter-review/

Seems like this would have been incredible three years ago or so.

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010

I wonder if this would be ideal to take notes in class? Could save hours of sifting through notebooks, or create stress trying up sort through things on the computer.

thecalvin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thecalvin

Great for drawing up plays on the fly if you coach

Tyrant917

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyrant917
kjsmason2010 wrote:I wonder if this would be ideal to take notes in class? Could save hours of sifting through notebooks, or create stress trying up sort through things on the computer.

A Livescribe pen is much more useful for capturing class notes. Get one of those instead. You won't regret it.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
Ignace wrote:I didn't know anything about this until I watched the video.

That was a major flaw of the original Boogie Board, but this model stores up to 200 page, which you can then download to your computer.

my2cents4u2c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages my2cents4u2c

I do live weekly webinars: would this allow for simultaneous display on a pc while the image is being created? eg: a whiteboard demo?

Mmarhcs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mmarhcs

Anybody know what the back looks like? Is there a mounting bracket? It would be a great thing to hang in the kitchen as part of a messaging center if there was a convenient way to hang it and take it down.

chandann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chandann

Anyone knows if this is colour also?
Thanks

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Everything old is new again. I just saw a fancy IBM writing Pad (complete with serial port connector!) at Goodwill.

I do like the fellow who takes snapshots of his notes. Never though of that, but it's a pretty good idea and some cameras do have a "scene" for text!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

As a teacher, I waste a lot of paper. I've been thinking about getting one for a while and have played around with the regular Boogie Board. I prefer this to the Live Scribe since it doesn't use any paper (I can scribble as much as I want) and I don't need the audio features.

One of the things I would like is the ability to screen share, which is why I'm holding out for the Boogie Board Sync (Christmas 2013 - approx. $100). I'd also like to be able to erase, but that seems unlikely with the type of screen they use.

rabuckner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rabuckner

My kindergartener is having trouble with writing. Thinking of getting this for her. She might think it's "fun" compared to pencil and paper. Anyone know if kids like this? We have an Ipad that probably does the same thing.

onthewateralot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onthewateralot

Can you import pdf's and then write over them? I am an engineer and work with a cad draftsman. Frequently I have to make revisions to drawings and wonder if I can use this that way

marmorae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marmorae
spizmar wrote:The 10.5 inch one does not record and upload. It's just an etchasketch.

Its not an etchasketch its a Magna doodle

gdbassett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gdbassett

I have one of these and they are a very elegant solution for a scratch pad. Rather than writing tons of notes on post-its and then losing them, I can take notes on my boogie board.

I have the one with the save feature. It does a good job of saving, however it doesn't have an internal clock so it can't time stamp the documents. They're just in order (doc001, doc002, doc003, etc) which makes it very hard to figure out which ones you care about. Moreso it has a habit of not saving when you push the button. Finally, it's a bit of a pain to plug it in to download the documents.

So I'd recommend not bothering to buy it for the 'save' feature. However, if your the kind of person who likes to have a scratch pad beside your desk, this is the absolute perfect thing.

Plus, if you have children, it's great for kids drawing. They can sketch and erase to their heart's content.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MommaBeary

Wondering if this may help with my sticky tab farm by my computer. I have this need to write when I talk and end up wasting paper when writing things I don't need to keep. ( like my name and phone number after I just dictated it to somebody).

hmmmm ..... wonder if they would pay for it too???? Has to be cheaper than keeping me in paper and post-its.....

gdbassett

BTW, to help the technical people understand this:

This is a simple LCD. when you write on it you push the crystals down to the bottom layer, making where you wrote lighter. (Like when you take a cheap LCD screen and push your thumb on it.)

When you push the erase button, a charge pulls all the crystals back up to the top making it all a consistent color. Note that this means there is no selective 'erase'. You either erase the whole page or none of it.

The 'rip' version has a digitizer which digitizes what you draw. If you push the save button, it dumps it to a white and black PDF.

gdbassett

MommaBeary wrote:Wondering if this may help with my sticky tab farm by my computer. I have this need to write when I talk and end up wasting paper when writing things I don't need to keep. ( like my name and phone number after I just dictated it to somebody).

hmmmm ..... wonder if they would pay for it too???? Has to be cheaper than keeping me in paper and post-its.....

This is exactly what it's best for.

gdbassett

rabuckner wrote:My kindergartener is having trouble with writing. Thinking of getting this for her. She might think it's "fun" compared to pencil and paper. Anyone know if kids like this? We have an Ipad that probably does the same thing.

My 2 year old likes drawing on it. It's not flashy like an iPad but it's much more responsive for learning to write. It may be worth a try though you don't need the 'rip' (able to save) version. You could get a 10" one w/o the save feature for the same price: http://www.amazon.com/Boogie-Board-Writing-Tablet-Black/dp/B0056B131I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1369832400&sr=8-7&keywords=boogie+board

gdbassett

Mmarhcs wrote:Anybody know what the back looks like? Is there a mounting bracket? It would be a great thing to hang in the kitchen as part of a messaging center if there was a convenient way to hang it and take it down.

They are very light, though the back isn't completely flat. Still, you could put Velcro on the back and stick it to something pretty easily.

gdbassett

Slarti59 wrote:As a teacher, I waste a lot of paper. I've been thinking about getting one for a while and have played around with the regular Boogie Board. I prefer this to the Live Scribe since it doesn't use any paper (I can scribble as much as I want) and I don't need the audio features.

One of the things I would like is the ability to screen share, which is why I'm holding out for the Boogie Board Sync (Christmas 2013 - approx. $100). I'd also like to be able to erase, but that seems unlikely with the type of screen they use.

Even with the rip, I think they have a program that displays what you're writing on a screen. It's a pretty basic thing though.

gdbassett

Tyrant917 wrote:A Livescribe pen is much more useful for capturing class notes. Get one of those instead. You won't regret it.

Second. These are terrible for taking and capturing notes.

gdbassett

onthewateralot wrote:Can you import pdf's and then write over them? I am an engineer and work with a cad draftsman. Frequently I have to make revisions to drawings and wonder if I can use this that way

No. It isn't an active screen. Just an magna doodle made with an LCD as someone pointed out.

svetter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svetter

So this only takes notes to PDF?

It cannot be used to 'write' to OneNote or Evernote, or to whiteboard on top of one's screen or PowerPoint presentation?

skoper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skoper
onthewateralot wrote:Can you import pdf's and then write over them? I am an engineer and work with a cad draftsman. Frequently I have to make revisions to drawings and wonder if I can use this that way

An Entourage eDGe or Pocket eDGe would do that. Check out eBay.

ybarheat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ybarheat
rabuckner wrote:My kindergartener is having trouble with writing. Thinking of getting this for her. She might think it's "fun" compared to pencil and paper. Anyone know if kids like this? We have an Ipad that probably does the same thing.

We bought a different model of boogie board another time on woot (8.5" w/no storage) for our 6yo and 9yo kids and 2yo nephew and they LOVE them. For the kids, it's a high tech magna doodle. They stylus got lost pretty quickly, but you can use just about anything to write on them, even your fingertip.

mikepagan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikepagan

Watching the video without sound -- so.. I can write 'Hello,' save that to my computer and charge my writing tablet. Wow, I don't know how I lived without this..

i1patrick

quality posts: 3 Private Messages i1patrick

I'm impressed with this, but overall I look at this as an "ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE THERE" product. It has nearly exactly what I want but is missing one key feature I need and can't buy it without.

If it had a simple set of Forward/Back buttons to allow me to display my previous notes stored in memory (being able to edit them more would be good, but not required), I'd be reaching for the old credit card.

Yes, I know you can download your notes to a PC. That's pretty cool, but it's not something I want to do all that often. If this tech is going to replace the paper notebooks I've been using for years (and it can ALMOST do it), I need to be able to conveniently flip back and forth through pages I've already stored.

I'll wait for the next gen version and see if they add this feature.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo
Mmarhcs wrote:Anybody know what the back looks like? Is there a mounting bracket? It would be a great thing to hang in the kitchen as part of a messaging center if there was a convenient way to hang it and take it down.

The back is flat. You can put velcro on it and secure it to a wall, door, what ever.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

selune13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selune13

I have one at home. We use it to leave messages for each other on the counter. Like whether the cat took her drugs that morning, or a reminder for yourself to take food to work. It's pretty handy. We don't have one with the save function; and, quite frankly, doubt we would use it. We also love that you can write on it with just a fingernail or whatever. I don't think any of us actually bother using the "pen" that came with it.