morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark
gdbassett wrote:Second. These are terrible for taking and capturing notes.

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of getting a live scribe pen but wasn't certain. I am looking for a way to digitize paper notes. The consensus seems to be that boogie boards are great for temporary notes but for permanent notes the live scribe is bet.

tubasparky

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tubasparky

I have the original Boogie Board. I've had it for 2 years and it still keeps clearing the screen (When the watch battery on the original dies it just means the clear button stops responding). The rechargeable battery would be a nice addition so it won't have a finite life.

Great idea to replace old chalk slates in classrooms, or as a note pad at home. The saving feature is for the more die-hard artists out there who do lots of sketches.

sarahebb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahebb

We have a regular Boogie Board (no save feature) and the kids LOVE it! Even just to doodle on it, it's so much better than pen and paper because you don't have to worry about ink/crayon getting everywhere. Even our friend's three year old loves to write on it, and the kids practice math equations together with it. I vote it would be a handy purchase.

rabuckner wrote:My kindergartener is having trouble with writing. Thinking of getting this for her. She might think it's "fun" compared to pencil and paper. Anyone know if kids like this? We have an Ipad that probably does the same thing.

nycesq

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nycesq
morninglark wrote:Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of getting a live scribe pen but wasn't certain. I am looking for a way to digitize paper notes. The consensus seems to be that boogie boards are great for temporary notes but for permanent notes the live scribe is bet.

Why not just scan the pages to a PDF?

Johnkaye

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Johnkaye
nycesq wrote:Why not just scan the pages to a PDF?

Quick answer, the Livescribe pen records audio. Full explanation below.

I was going to get today's Woot until I searched online for a replacement stylus. None seem to be available. Regular stylus yes, special stylus for this Woot, no.

I have used a Livescribe pen for many years. The pen has a camera in the tip that reads a faint dot pattern on the paper. Yes, it uses special paper. When a new notebook is started a label on the cover is scanned into the pen. With multiple notebooks the pen keeps track of which notebook is used. The Livescribe pen also records audio. You can take paper notes and record the lecture at the same time. Later on when you click on a note page the audio associated with the page will play back. The camera sensor in the tip also allows some apps to be used. Most notebooks have a scientific calculator printed on the cover that used by clicking on it with the pen. Great device, highly recommended!

tjnesbitt64113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjnesbitt64113

Whose handwriting is that? I give the handwriting 4/10.

flipoid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flipoid

[quote postid="5455644" user="Johnkaye"]Quick answer, the Livescribe pen records audio. Full explanation below.

I was going to get today's Woot until I searched online for a replacement stylus. None seem to be available. Regular stylus yes, special stylus for this Woot, no.
---------------------------
There is a special stylus replacement for the Boogie Board Rip. I found it on Amazon today and it's also on the manufacturer's website. According to the description, you can write on the board with any stylus, but only the stuff written with the original stylus can be saved in memory to be transferred to your computer.

I'm on my iPod and it's a pain to switch windows when posting, or I'd include the link for the replacement stylus.

Edit: here's a link:

http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/en/boogie-board-LCD-writing-tablet/accessories/rip-replacement-stylus.html

Johnkaye

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Johnkaye

"Edit: here's a link:

http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/en/boogie-board-LCD-writing-tablet/accessories/rip-replacement-stylus.html"

They don't sell the stylus at this site. The're just showing that it exist. I Googled the replacement styles for this Woot, Both Amazon and an independent site said, not available, we don't know when this will be in stock. Not a good sign.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

I have the original one- a couple of them. Worst purchase ever. Very little contrast when you write on it... just don't see the point. It seemed like a good idea, but it's snot.

kurtois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtois

From Improv Electronics support:

"Thank you for your interest!

Please visit Amazon in the next few weeks as we will be releasing our JOT accessories.

Accessories for the RIP are no longer available for purchase, I am sorry I could not be more helpful."

Well, that is highly disappointing. Looks like they don't value legacy customers. Wrong, on many levels.