aeddie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aeddie

I bought the newer model last week and changed the hard drive for a Samsung 840 SSD. The laptop with Windows 8 was reasonably fast before but with the SSD it is now very fast and responsive. Start up and shut down are 4 seconds and 2 seconds respectively.

Windows 8 takes a day or two to get to like but with the touch screen its nice to use (without a touch screen it would be annoying).

This is a really nicely built machine and with a SSD is a serious alternative to a MacBook Air but at half the cost.

Highly recommended.

fairplayinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fairplayinc

So has anyone determined which machine this actually is?

Which is correct, the specs or the model number?

davidmcbeth3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcbeth3

Yet another USED previously DEFECTIVE? product being sold ....

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
aeddie wrote:...and with a SSD is a serious alternative to a MacBook Air but at half the cost.

In what universe ? I'm not an Apple fanboi by any stretch, but there is no way anyone can reasonably - or seriously - compare this low-budget, underpowered, barely working touchscreen device to a MacBook Air.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
tljx wrote:Those aren't really comparable as they are not touchscreen laptops and are 15 inches instead of 11. They also have slower processors.

Actually, they have faster processors. The 2nd gen I3 in this PoC is rated at 1.4 GHz whereas the slower of the two alternatives is 1.48 GHz with a 3rd gen I3. meh.

bigred*nyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigred*nyc

I got this abut 2 months ago from Newegg - $259. The refurb Q202E has been relabeled as model X02E. Quite happy with it. First foray into win8 which turns out to be fine.
No bluetooth.
I swapped the HD for a Sandisk Ultra SSD. Went from fast to warp speed.
Often use plugged into 27" monitor.
Great build, recommend it for general use

davecoon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davecoon13
kolio wrote:Can anyone verify if this has BLUETOOTH?

I don't see any mention of it here,but,all other similar models elsewhere have it.

THX!

Mine Does have bluetooth, mine is ASUS ASX202EDH31T VivoBook X202E-DH31T. It looks like there is conficting information in this forum about the exact Model #.

davecoon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davecoon13
bigred*nyc wrote:I got this abut 2 months ago from Newegg - $259. The refurb Q202E has been relabeled as model X02E. Quite happy with it. First foray into win8 which turns out to be fine.
No bluetooth.
I swapped the HD for a Sandisk Ultra SSD. Went from fast to warp speed.
Often use plugged into 27" monitor.
Great build, recommend it for general use

What SSD did you use? What are the specs on the SSD you chose? I'm thinking of the same upgrade.

fairplayinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fairplayinc
davecoon13 wrote:Mine Does have bluetooth, mine is ASUS ASX202EDH31T VivoBook X202E-DH31T. It looks like there is conficting information in this forum about the exact Model #.

Exactly...

The model DOES NOT match the specs.

Can anyone from WOOT confirm which laptop this really is???

wolfen17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wolfen17

I just bought this from Amazon for my daughter's high school graduation present.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1I1C4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We've only had a a couple days, but she likes it.
Pros: Lightweight, sleek, kewl (with the addition of a skin)

Cons: Win8 (she is not used to it...maybe its a grower not a show-er on this one), internet slow (could be a gummy WiFi card that other users have mentioned), and a cranky track pad (I will update the drivers for this as another reviewer mentioned).

I paid 399 for mine. Wish I knew Woot would be having it for sale

Anyways, I give this laptop a tentative thumbs up...as I have not had a chance to personally evaluate the computer...my daughter won't get off of it ;)

Edit: Apparently I have the slightly updated model. YMMV

aeddie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aeddie
yeahbuddy wrote:In what universe ? I'm not an Apple fanboi by any stretch, but there is no way anyone can reasonably - or seriously - compare this low-budget, underpowered, barely working touchscreen device to a MacBook Air.

My universe. low budget doesn't mean low quality. This Asus is a high quality product. And "barely working touchscreen" - I can only assume you haven't tried it as this has not been my experience.

bigred*nyc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigred*nyc

[quote postid="5457022" user="davecoon13"]What SSD did you use? What are the specs on the SSD you chose? I'm thinking of the same upgrade.[/quote

SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP-256G-G25 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for Notebook
-specs Sequential read speeds up to 530MB/s1; Sequential write speeds up to 445MB/s1.
WEP hard drive score jumped to 8.1.

trueskew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trueskew

First, this is a nice little laptop. I got a display model from Best Buy for my wife a few months ago for $384 out the door, and for what she does it works well, and she really like the touch screen. For me, it's too slow.

However, in the 2 months we've had it, it's been out for manufacturer warranty repair longer than it's been in our house. It has a problem with suddenly shutting down, as if the power and built-in battery were pulled at the same time... not a clean one, and not a reboot. Windows records "Unexpected sudden power loss" in the event log.

The first time it happened was a week after we bought it. I thought my wife did something, so I re-started it and let it go. The next time it happened was a couple weeks after that. Best Buy happily took it and kept it past the return period. The tech report said the ASUS guy they sent it to couldn't find a problem and replaced the motherboard... nothing wrong with that, and it was the newer 3rd generation i3 motherboard (some use 2nd gen).

About a week after that, it glitched again. Even if I knew it was only going to be every week or 2, I'd still want it fixed, who knows what's going on when it powers off, and the frequency could go up over time. I returned it again. This time the tech was, well, an Curly, and replaced the hard disk because it had errors. That's not a surprise, there's a good chance it had sector problems from the power being essentially yanked out during a write. I call him an Curly because given the connections between the SATA drive and the rest of the system, there's really no electrical reason for a bad sector to cause a sudden shutdown.

Now the 3rd time it went in wasn't because of the problem. I got the laptop back, installed a few things, and noticed that Windows wasn't activated. For 2 days no one at Best Buy could give me a key or tell me what to do. There's no sticker on the back, and apparently it's not stored in ROM (I wiped the disk to re-install, it didn't find the key). Three different ASUS chat guys told me that the key is on the motherboard, and after questioning the third, I said "wait, do you mean it's on a sticker on the motherboard, and not in nvram?" He said yes. I want to think he's wrong, because that's a Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! move, but nevertheless, it went back in. Best Buy actually gave me a new Pro license, so that was nice. And it only took 3 days of them failing to get the key to do that.

That brings us to now. It went back last week, after a few days of using it. This time a tech called me from Kansas about it. "I couldn't get it to fail after letting it sit idle for a day and stress testing it for a day." I told him it would take a week or more. It was nice that he was stumped after the replacements that already took place. All he has left is the battery / power supply and the display (which could have an issue with the flex connector that might cause a power loss... maybe), so I'm hoping it takes this time.

This last time, I found out that Best Buy sends it to an ASUS-authorized repair center, not ASUS. All this time, I was hoping that ASUS would realize this is a big inconvenience to their customer and just replace it, but repair guys are probably always going to keep replacing stuff. Best Buy only cares if you buy their extended warranty. So if it happens one more time, I'll go ahead and pay the shipping to get it to ASUS, along with a history of the repairs, and hope that first, they replace it, and second, the one I get works. I have found stories online about it failing like this, many ended up returning it. Unfortunately I went past the return period during the first repair.

gak0090

quality posts: 75 Private Messages gak0090
yeahbuddy wrote:Actually, they have faster processors. The 2nd gen I3 in this PoC is rated at 1.4 GHz whereas the slower of the two alternatives is 1.48 GHz with a 3rd gen I3. meh.

Faster is a relative term. If you mean faster -> meaning better performing tljx is absolutely correct- both of the processors below have lower benchmarks than today's woot- check passmark. Today's offering is a better value than either of the laptops below.

Intel Celeron B830 Processor (1.8 GHz)
2 GB DDR3 RAM
320 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, Intel GMA HD
Windows 8

or for $10 more, there is a Lenovo G585 Laptop with:

AMD Brazos 2.0 E1-1500 Processor (1.48 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
320 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, ATI Radeon HD 7310 Integrated Graphics
Windows 8
5-hour battery life

PemberDucky

quality posts: 40 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

fairplayinc wrote:Exactly...

we're waiting to hear for confirmation. as soon as we get word, we'll let you know. sorry for the inconvenience.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

gak0090

yeahbuddy wrote:In what universe ? I'm not an Apple fanboi by any stretch, but there is no way anyone can reasonably - or seriously - compare this low-budget, underpowered, barely working touchscreen device to a MacBook Air.

First of all the touch screen works fine on this device. How well does the touchscreen work on that MacBook Air?

gak0090

PemberDucky wrote:we're waiting to hear for confirmation. as soon as we get word, we'll let you know. sorry for the inconvenience.

It appears that there are several sub-type models under this particular model. It looks like it can be equipped with one of 3 processors:
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
Up to Intel® Core™ i3 3217U Processor
Intel® ULV Pentium® 987 Processor
Intel® ULV Celeron® 847 Processor

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_X202E/#specifications

phreecaller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phreecaller
davecoon13 wrote:What SSD did you use? What are the specs on the SSD you chose? I'm thinking of the same upgrade.

I was researching the similar model (one with the 1.8Ghz cpu), the people who swapped the HDD for SSD wrote that only 7mm SSD would fit. Hope this helps

andrewteg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andrewteg

I got one a couple weeks ago (see below) and it is listed as a Q200E but has X202E on the bottom and that's what ASUS calls it so that may be causing the confusion in model/specs.

Price Comp wise, you can get a refurb for about the same and used a little cheaper at CowBoom at http://www.cowboom.com/search/results.cfm?keywords=q200e which is a BestBuy run site so it's the Best Buy specific models, but as I said, mine says X202E on the bottom. The one I got was used and the drive was wiped so I'm having some activating issues like mentioned in a previous post though.

adamf663

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamf663

oh yeah! Always looking for a laptop whose screen looks like somebody wiped their face on it.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
trueskew wrote: For me, it's too slow.

However, in the 2 months we've had it, it's been out for manufacturer warranty repair longer than it's been in our house. It has a problem with suddenly shutting down, as if the power and built-in battery were pulled at the same time... not a clean one, and not a reboot. Windows records "Unexpected sudden power loss" in the event log.

The first time it happened was a week after we bought it. I thought my wife did something, so I re-started it and let it go. The next time it happened was a couple weeks after that. Best Buy happily took it and kept it past the return period. The tech report said the ASUS guy they sent it to couldn't find a problem and replaced the motherboard... nothing wrong with that, and it was the newer 3rd generation i3 motherboard (some use 2nd gen).

About a week after that, it glitched again. Even if I knew it was only going to be every week or 2, I'd still want it fixed, who knows what's going on when it powers off, and the frequency could go up over time. I returned it again. This time the tech was, well, an Curly, and replaced the hard disk because it had errors. That's not a surprise, there's a good chance it had sector problems from the power being essentially yanked out during a write. I call him an Curly because given the connections between the SATA drive and the rest of the system, there's really no electrical reason for a bad sector to cause a sudden shutdown.

Now the 3rd time it went in wasn't because of the problem. I got the laptop back, installed a few things, and noticed that Windows wasn't activated. For 2 days no one at Best Buy could give me a key or tell me what to do. There's no sticker on the back, and apparently it's not stored in ROM (I wiped the disk to re-install, it didn't find the key). Three different ASUS chat guys told me that the key is on the motherboard, and after questioning the third, I said "wait, do you mean it's on a sticker on the motherboard, and not in nvram?" He said yes. I want to think he's wrong, because that's a Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! move, but nevertheless, it went back in. Best Buy actually gave me a new Pro license, so that was nice. And it only took 3 days of them failing to get the key to do that.

That brings us to now. It went back last week, after a few days of using it. This time a tech called me from Kansas about it. "I couldn't get it to fail after letting it sit idle for a day and stress testing it for a day." I told him it would take a week or more. It was nice that he was stumped after the replacements that already took place. All he has left is the battery / power supply and the display (which could have an issue with the flex connector that might cause a power loss... maybe), so I'm hoping it takes this time.

This last time, I found out that Best Buy sends it to an ASUS-authorized repair center, not ASUS. All this time, I was hoping that ASUS would realize this is a big inconvenience to their customer and just replace it, but repair guys are probably always going to keep replacing stuff. Best Buy only cares if you buy their extended warranty. So if it happens one more time, I'll go ahead and pay the shipping to get it to ASUS, along with a history of the repairs, and hope that first, they replace it, and second, the one I get works. I have found stories online about it failing like this, many ended up returning it. Unfortunately I went past the return period during the first repair.

Wow, not very encouraging, and might help explain why Woot! has so many refurbs of this model. Perhaps they figured out what was causing the most common failures and corrected that during the refurbishment process, we can only hope...

trueskew

kmartind wrote:Wow, not very encouraging, and might help explain why Woot! has so many refurbs of this model. Perhaps they figured out what was causing the most common failures and corrected that during the refurbishment process, we can only hope...

Maybe, but I doubt it. My story is going on now, so far they haven't found the real fix. Even factory-authorized reps should get bulletins of known problems and fixes.

gak0090

trueskew wrote:First, this is a nice little laptop. I got a display model from Best Buy for my wife a few months ago for $384 out the door, and for what she does it works well, and she really like the touch screen. For me, it's too slow.

I would have tested the power supply first against a load to see if that was the issue.It would have been the easiest and least invasive, and given the complaint seems like the most likely culprit. If someone went as far as to replace the motherboard, you would hope that they would have examined the other internals for connection issues. Even if it's not the power supply there is a certain point where you would just consider this particular laptop a lemon and have them replace it. Between paying a tech to keep examining it and switching out parts- they have far exceeded the value of the laptop- they should have just switched it out. This is a perfect example of a company not knowing when to cut their losses.

trueskew

gak0090 wrote:I would have tested the power supply first against a load to see if that was the issue.It would have been the easiest and least invasive, and given the complaint seems like the most likely culprit. If someone went as far as to replace the motherboard, you would hope that they would have examined the other internals for connection issues. Even if it's not the power supply there is a certain point where you would just consider this particular laptop a lemon and have them replace it. Between paying a tech to keep examining it and switching out parts- they have far exceeded the value of the laptop- they should have just switched it out. This is a perfect example of a company not knowing when to cut their losses.

Exactly on all counts. An online ASUS rep said it can't be the power supply or the battery if it's plugged in. That's just not true, especially with a glitch that takes 7 to 14 days to show. I discussed it with him a little, but gave up with the hope that he's not the tech that would work on it.

I thought for sure they'd replace it this time, but when I found out that it wasn't actually ASUS wasn't evaluating... well let's just say I'm interested to see what they do this time, they have very little left to blindly replace.

joelellis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelellis
PemberDucky wrote:we're waiting to hear for confirmation. as soon as we get word, we'll let you know. sorry for the inconvenience.

Got it in the cart. Monkey is asking, "Hey, what's the holdup? Stuff in your cart can still sell out." Well, Monkey, just waiting for confirmation of model and specifications... and tapping my foot impatiently. Impatient foot-tapping takes time.

kmartind

gak0090 wrote:I would have tested the power supply first against a load to see if that was the issue.It would have been the easiest and least invasive, and given the complaint seems like the most likely culprit. If someone went as far as to replace the motherboard, you would hope that they would have examined the other internals for connection issues. Even if it's not the power supply there is a certain point where you would just consider this particular laptop a lemon and have them replace it. Between paying a tech to keep examining it and switching out parts- they have far exceeded the value of the laptop- they should have just switched it out. This is a perfect example of a company not knowing when to cut their losses.

It shouldn't be the power supply (or at least not only the power supply) considering that it's powered by a battery and you can unplug the adapter any time. It could be the (non-customer-replaceable) battery itself though. If it's defective or not charging properly it might think the battery still has power but when it tries to draw some more amperage it exceeds what the battery can provide and the voltage drops low enough that it can no longer run. I would have expected that all the charging and power-control circuitry is probably on the motherboard though, which was already replaced so there's not a whole lot else in there. It could also be some defect or design flaw in the internal cable/contacts that connect to the battery or something I guess. Or maybe some thermal protection is kicking in and cutting power if it gets too hot (or if it thinks it's too hot). Or perhaps some kind of electrical short in or near any component that is allowed to draw a significant amount of power.

stuston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stuston
gak0090 wrote:Bluetooth USB 4.0 is like $11. That shouldn't be the deal breaker for this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=855744&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Bluetooth built-in makes a huge difference.

gak0090

kmartind wrote:It shouldn't be the power supply (or at least not only the power supply) considering that it's powered by a battery and you can unplug the adapter any time. It could be the (non-customer-replaceable) battery itself though. If it's defective or not charging properly it might think the battery still has power but when it tries to draw some more amperage it exceeds what the battery can provide and the voltage drops low enough that it can no longer run. I would have expected that all the charging and power-control circuitry is probably on the motherboard though, which was already replaced so there's not a whole lot else in there. It could also be some defect or design flaw in the internal cable/contacts that connect to the battery or something I guess. Or maybe some thermal protection is kicking in and cutting power if it gets too hot (or if it thinks it's too hot). Or perhaps some kind of electrical short in or near any component that is allowed to draw a significant amount of power.

What if the power supply is putting out too much voltage? I don't know why checking a power supply which is the quickest and easiest thing to do, would not be the 1st thing you would try. Even if there were additional issues in the laptop- how do you know that they weren't caused by a defective power supply. Chances are that wherever they replaced the motherboard they probably weren't even using the customers power supply, they probably had their own they were using.

gak0090

stuston wrote:Bluetooth built-in makes a huge difference.

Why? I use this same exact device and works great. I use it for a bluetooth mouse, and for transferring data from my Android phone.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 40 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

fairplayinc wrote:Exactly...

the model mentioned by the OP is the 3rd gen i3. we are offering a 2nd gen. the specs reflect that.

i know it doesn't provide a precise model number, but hopefully my response clears that up.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

KAZVorpal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KAZVorpal
wolfen17 wrote:a cranky track pad (I will update the drivers for this as another reviewer mentioned).

Serious question:

Why would anyone even bother with the trackpad, since it has a touch screen?

The keyboard is imperative, for fast touch typing (I type 100WPM), but isn't it faster and easier to just use the touch screen for everything pointer-related?

gak0090

PemberDucky wrote:the model mentioned by the OP is the 3rd gen i3. we are offering a 2nd gen. the specs reflect that.

i know it doesn't provide a precise model number, but hopefully my response clears that up.

It makes sense because the Asus page says: Up to Intel® Core™ i3 3217U Processor- which would imply that this processor today would be included

gak0090

KAZVorpal wrote:Serious question:

Why would anyone even bother with the trackpad, since it has a touch screen?

The keyboard is imperative, for fast touch typing (I type 100WPM), but isn't it faster and easier to just use the touch screen for everything pointer-related?

When your on the desktop of Windows 8, a trackpad will give you more precise movement on that scale. It's nice to have both options. I have a couple touch screens with Windows, and find myself going back and forth between using the touch screen and the mouse/trackpad- but when it comes down to it, just user preference.

kmartind

gak0090 wrote:What if the power supply is putting out too much voltage? I don't know why checking a power supply which is the quickest and easiest thing to do, would not be the 1st thing you would try. Even if there were additional issues in the laptop- how do you know that they weren't caused by a defective power supply. Chances are that wherever they replaced the motherboard they probably weren't even using the customers power supply, they probably had their own they were using.

Wouldn't hurt I guess, but seems like a very slim possibility. In a former life I did authorized warranty repairs for IBM (now Lenovo), Compaq (now HP), and Apple, and also worked on Toshiba and others for out of warranty repairs. I never saw a problem even remotely like that caused by a bad AC adapter if the battery was good. Most of the time if the power supply was bad it would just mean it couldn't power/charge the laptop, and in the majority of those cases that was actually just a bad connection in the power cable or at the laptop's power jack itself. Some older laptops used to have a separate power control board that would sometimes go bad and could be replaced separately but these days those charging and voltage regulation electronics are almost always on the motherboard.

Still I agree that after a second or third failed repair attempt the manufacturer should just replace your device and stop wasting time fiddling with an apparent lemon.

kmartind

gak0090 wrote:When your on the desktop of Windows 8, a trackpad will give you more precise movement on that scale. It's nice to have both options. I have a couple touch screens with Windows, and find myself going back and forth between using the touch screen and the mouse/trackpad- but when it comes down to it, just user preference.

You usually can't hover (or move the mouse pointer without clicking or dragging) when using a touch screen. Lack of that feature is fine for touch-centric apps, but for more traditional Windows programs it could get frustrating. That makes a trackpad, mouse, or trackball a desirable feature.

gak0090

kmartind wrote:You usually can't hover (or move the mouse pointer without clicking or dragging) when using a touch screen. Lack of that feature is fine for touch-centric apps, but for more traditional Windows programs it could get frustrating.

Another good point regarding trackpads/mouse I forgot to include

gak0090

kmartind wrote:Wouldn't hurt I guess, but seems like a very slim possibility. In a former life I did authorized warranty repairs for IBM (now Lenovo), Compaq (now HP), and Apple, and also worked on Toshiba and others for out of warranty repairs. I never saw a problem even remotely like that caused by a bad AC adapter if the battery was good. Most of the time if the power supply was bad it would just mean it couldn't power/charge the laptop, and in the majority of those cases that was actually just a bad connection in the power cable or at the laptop's power jack itself. Some older laptops used to have a separate power control board that would sometimes go bad and could be replaced separately but these days those charging and voltage regulation electronics are almost always on the motherboard.

I just do repairs as a hobby. I have learned that people tend to over think and overlook the simpler solutions. There are plenty of issues caused by defective power supplies on laptops that can be tested so simply, without having to tear a laptop apart.

For example here is one forum talking about slow downs caused defective power supplies. The laptop runs fine when on battery, but suddenly slows down when the adapter is attached. I understand that this is a completely different issue, but something that most people would not have suspected.
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/985-hp-laptop-go-slow-caused-by-power-supply.html/comment-page-2

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I don't comment as much here as I used to, but I have to sing the praises for this netbook/semi ultrabook. I am using it right now to type this.

The X202e is my daily portable work laptop. Throw a 7mm SSD drive (or take the case off a larger SSD drive as I did)and it is very fast for everyday use. Even without the SSD is it more than adequate for what it is intended for. The touch screen is super sensitive and trackpad, although oversized, is not overly sensitive. I've sold 4 of these to customers and family after having used mine and they all love theirs now. They are light and look and feel like a much more expensive laptop.

This costs $399 new at MicroCenter and Microsoft Store, even at that price it is one of the best bang for the buck deals around. I bought mine when it was $499 and I am still very happy with what I paid for it.

The new ones even have a 1 year accidental protection plan built into it from Asus! I dropped mine and had to take advantage of the accidental plan, Asus support was excellent in handling the issue and I had a new X202E in abiout 9 days.

I'd go for this refurbished unit no problem, they are well built, the hard drive is easily accessible if you need to replace it which is about the only thing that goes wrong in laptops (aside from dropping them).

The only cons are that the screen resolution could be a bit higher, and the viewing angle leave a bit to be desired. Things like a backlit keyboard would be nice, but at this price (even at the $499 price I paid when it was new to market) what you get is still amazing.

Aside from using this as my work/portable laptop, it has replaced my Nexus 7 as my go-to device at home when I want to Netflix etc. The speakers are quite loud for it size.

Anyone looking for a small, light, great looking and feeling laptop with pretty good battery life and a touch screen, look no further. This thing is king of the 'bang for the buck' in its category.

P.S. After using a touch screen laptop for awhile with windows 8, you will instinctively start touching every laptop's screen when you see the Windows 8 menu even if its not touch screen lol!

EDIT: Mine is an X202E DH31T with an I3-3217U processor. All the comments made above are reflecting this model. Best Buy sold a Q200 (202e?) with a slower processor, no bluetooth of usb3.0. It sold new for $349 last I saw so not as good of a deal if this model isn't the X202e.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

I came close to getting this but no firewire. Would have made a nice DAW interface.

scotty2u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scotty2u
VeeRay wrote:I'd call this a fair deal. I recently bought the newer version of this (Ivy Bridge i3 and thus HD4000 vs Sandy Bridge / HD3000 - I think they're otherwise identical) for $360 from B&H, having missed a prior deal elsewhere for $350. New, not refurb. So you save $60 from an excellent price if you're willing to take a refurb and one step older CPU.

I gave the computer to my sister, who had been complaining about her archaic laptop for literally years but is averse to actually buying new tech. (Families!) I played with it first, though, and in general was very impressed with how much tech got crammed into such a small space and price. RAM is not upgradeable, as is also true of most in this segment. Not mad for the i3 in general or Windows 8, but maybe I'm just averse to change. It's plenty enough power to do most things.

I read somewhere (AnandTech?) that this is the second most popular computer sold on Amazon after the Chromebook.

$459 now at b7h