theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
yeahbuddy wrote:In what universe ? I'm not an Apple fanboi by any stretch, but there is no way anyone can reasonably - or seriously - compare this low-budget, underpowered, barely working touchscreen device to a MacBook Air.

This is not underpowered for its intended use and the touchscreen is great. In fact the touchscreen is one of the best I have used even compared to $800+ ultrabook models. Yes it is low budget, but good low budget products exist, something Apple folks probably don't realize.

theguruguys

west3man wrote:If this is like the model at Best Buy, that keyboard is not backlit. Something to keep in-mind.

I almost forgot since it looks so much like my Asus model, which DOES have the backlit keyboard.

Still neat but it helps at times like, right now, when I'm in the bed, in the dark, typing away.

The keyboard is not backlit, the Best Buy model is the Q200E which uses an older generation i3 processor with no bluetooth or usb3 from what I recall.

EDIT: The specifications of the model Woot! is selling matches teh Q200e, which was a Best Buy 'exclusive' thing at one point. Lookup Q200e on google and you will see. I don't know which one woot! is selling. I have never seen X202e listed ANYWHERE with the specs woot! is showing. All my preivous comments are based towards the X202E. The Q200e has sold for $349 new at Best Buy, making this not so good of a woot!

gak0090

quality posts: 75 Private Messages gak0090
theguruguys wrote:This is not underpowered for its intended use and the touchscreen is great. In fact the touchscreen is one of the best I have used even compared to $800+ ultrabook models. Yes it is low budget, but good low budget products exist, something Apple folks probably don't realize.

Someone said it needed a 7mm SSD, so a 9 mm ssd fits?

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:Someone said it needed a 7mm SSD, so a 9 mm ssd fits?

I stand corrected, will fix my post. It needs the smaller of the two (Samsungs are smaller), or you can take apart the case of the 9mm SSD drive and just stick it in that way (which is what I did).

theguruguys

Come on woot!

I finally get excited about a product, now I realize that your specifications are not correct. Is this the Q200e or X202e? They are entirely different deals! The Q200e sells for $349 new at Best Buy, has an older processor than my X202e (the processor you have listed is the older one). It doesn't have bluetooth, etc.

The X202e sells for $399 at MicroCenter (they are sold out, and they sell out fast, their online doesn't show it listed when its sold out but I bought two for $399 each in the past three weeks)and The Microsoft Store had it for $399 but its back up to $449. The X202e has a faster processor and bluetooth, which would make this a great deal. Your item says X202E, but the specs are for the Q200e!

What gives? Did this woot! start at midnight or was it a mid day replacement woot for a sold out item? If it started at midnight, does it really take 14 hours into the woot! to get the item information correct?

malibu1369

quality posts: 1 Private Messages malibu1369
lichme wrote:CNet Review

Not the same CPU so the comparison is off a bit.

geedavee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geedavee

Thinking of using this to hook up to a 47" TV to use as a media server. Are the graphics good enough for that?

theguruguys

geedavee wrote:Thinking of using this to hook up to a 47" TV to use as a media server. Are the graphics good enough for that?

If this is the X202e with the HD4000 chipset like the one I use it works fine to stream to my Optoma HD70 1080p projector.

I've just read all the posts and still can't tell what the deal is. They only make an X202e and Q200e, the specs on this one look like the Q200e but it says X202e.

gak0090

theguruguys wrote:Come on woot!

I finally get excited about a product, now I realize that your specifications are not correct. Is this the Q200e or X202e? They are entirely different deals! The Q200e sells for $349 new at Best Buy, has an older processor than my X202e (the processor you have listed is the older one). It doesn't have bluetooth, etc.

The X202e sells for $399 at MicroCenter (they are sold out, and they sell out fast, their online doesn't show it listed when its sold out but I bought two for $399 each in the past three weeks)and The Microsoft Store had it for $399 but its back up to $449. The X202e has a faster processor and bluetooth, which would make this a great deal. Your item says X202E, but the specs are for the Q200e!

What gives? Did this woot! start at midnight or was it a mid day replacement woot for a sold out item? If it started at midnight, does it really take 14 hours into the woot! to get the item information correct?

You probably have the latest (best) version of this with the i3 3217U. This is still the same model, just an older/different version

It appears that there are several sub-type models under this particular model. It looks like it can be equipped with one of 3 processors:
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
Up to Intel® Core™ i3 3217U Processor
Intel® ULV Pentium® 987 Processor
Intel® ULV Celeron® 847 Processor

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_X202E/#specifications

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:You probably have the latest (best) version of this with the i3 3217U. This is still the same model, just an older/different version

It appears that there are several sub-type models under this particular model. It looks like it can be equipped with one of 3 processors:
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
Intel® ULV Pentium® 987 Processor
Intel® ULV Celeron® 847 Processor

No.

They make a Q200e, which gets easily confused with the X202e. I did A LOT of research before buying my X202e. The page you show lists the specs of the X202e. Notice it shows bluetooth listed.

I've never seen sub models of the X202e, I've looked everywhere. They have the Q200e which is the sub model.

The processors you have listed would all be 4th generation sandybridge processors as well, which the specs they have listed on this item are not.

gak0090

theguruguys wrote:No.

They make a Q200e, which gets easily confused with the X202e. I did A LOT of research before buying my X202e. The page you show lists the specs of the X202e. Notice it shows bluetooth listed.

I've never seen sub models of the X202e, I've looked everywhere. They have the Q200e which is the sub model.

The processors you have listed would all be 4th generation sandybridge processors as well, which the specs they have listed on this item are not.

The Intel Core i3-2365M (todays Woot) is a Sandy Bridge, Celeron 847 is Sandy Bridge and so is Pentium 987.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2365M-Notebook-Processor.81494.0.html

The i3-3217U is Ivy bridge, but on this page it says

ASUS VivoBook X202E

žPrecision touchscreen for intuitive enjoyment
Sleek and light trend-setting design
Enjoy SonicMaster for impactful and richer sound performance
Feel natural smoothness with the ASUS Smart Gesture touchpad
and 2-second instant on

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_X202E/#overview

This model is made with variations that can support both Ivy bridge and Sandy Bridge processors.
Note
•Mobile Intel® HM76 Express Chipsets (i3-3217U); Mobile Intel® HM70 Express Chipsets (Pentium 987/Celeron 847)

It could be the Q200e also though very easily

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:The Intel Core i3-2365M (todays Woot) is a Sandy Bridge, Celeron 847 is Sandy Bridge and so is Pentium 987.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2365M-Notebook-Processor.81494.0.html

The i3-3217U is Ivy bridge, but on this page it says

ASUS VivoBook X202E

žPrecision touchscreen for intuitive enjoyment
Sleek and light trend-setting design
Enjoy SonicMaster for impactful and richer sound performance
Feel natural smoothness with the ASUS Smart Gesture touchpad
and 2-second instant on

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_X202E/#overview

So either the Asus website is wrong, or this model is made with variations that can support both Ivy bridge and Sandy Bridge processors.

Do this.

Find me any other legit website that shows an X202e listed with the specs that woot! is showing.

I purchaed the X202e when it first hit the market, it was usuall $549 BUT I got a $50 discount, it was the first X202e 'model' (and only that I have ever seen) that has been sold. I did a lot of research before I purchased, and I have followed it closely to see if a new 'backlit keyboard' model would appear. So far there has only been one x202E model I have every seen, from any source, and they all have the same processor and specs.

You will find the specs that woot! is listed matches the Q200e (sans bluetooth etc).

Something is wrong somewhere, and Im pretty certain there isn't a 'sub model' of X202e that matches these specs, unless ASUS is making this an woot! exclusive, and if this is the case they need to disclose the complete model. My number (ie. X202e-DH31T) which is my model purchased last November and still currently the one for sale at Microsoft Store, MicroCenter, etc, and has been the only one I have ever seen for sale.

The MAIN point I am trying to make, this matches the Q200e, with a slower older generation processor that has sold for $349 at Best Buy. It is not near as good as a deal as the X202e that I own which sells for as low as $399 new.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
gak0090 wrote:For example here is one forum talking about slow downs caused defective power supplies. The laptop runs fine when on battery, but suddenly slows down when the adapter is attached. I understand that this is a completely different issue, but something that most people would not have suspected.
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/985-hp-laptop-go-slow-caused-by-power-supply.html/comment-page-2

Not a bad example, but usually still the result of a physically damaged or cheap generic adapter. That one is fairly common ever since the advent of "smart" AC adapters on HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc, several years ago.
The laptop needs some indication from the adapter of how much current it can safely draw from it. If it's unable to determine that, it defaults to limiting power, which often results in the inability to charge the battery while the computer is running, and in some cases it might also throttle the CPU to reduce power consumption.
Recent drivers/Windows versions will explicitly warn you, when you plug them in, that the adapter can't deliver enough power and your performance may be reduced as a result, so it should be pretty clear what the problem is these days.

Anyway, there wouldn't be any harm in trying another adapter (especially if one is handy), but it still seems very unlikely to be the root cause of trueskew's ongoing VivoBook problems. If it takes days/weeks for it to randomly shut off then just replacing the whole unit (which would also include the adapter) would save everyone time and probably money. That's assuming it's actually an isolated defect and not the result of some more general design flaw.

katbrown1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katbrown1
theguruguys wrote:Do this.

Find me any other legit website that shows an X202e listed with the specs that woot! is showing.

I purchaed the X202e when it first hit the market, it was usuall $549 BUT I got a $50 discount, it was the first X202e 'model' (and only that I have ever seen) that has been sold. I did a lot of research before I purchased, and I have followed it closely to see if a new 'backlit keyboard' model would appear. So far there has only been one x202E model I have every seen, from any source, and they all have the same processor and specs.

You will find the specs that woot! is listed matches the Q200e (sans bluetooth etc).

Something is wrong somewhere, and Im pretty certain there isn't a 'sub model' of X202e that matches these specs, unless ASUS is making this an woot! exclusive, and if this is the case they need to disclose the complete model. My number (ie. X202e-DH31T) which is my model purchased last November and still currently the one for sale at Microsoft Store, MicroCenter, etc, and has been the only one I have ever seen for sale.

The MAIN point I am trying to make, this matches the Q200e, with a slower older generation processor that has sold for $349 at Best Buy. It is not near as good as a deal as the X202e that I own which sells for as low as $399 new.

I'm sick of Woot and all the guessing games of what is actually being offered, and then not getting such a deal at all. I've purchased a lot of items from Woot, but I must say I'm sick of Woot wasting my time trying to decipher what it is they're actually selling! Then if I return something it takes forever to get a refund.

gak0090

theguruguys wrote:Do this.

I agree that this more closely matches the Q200e...but there are other variations on the X202e, in fact here is a review http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418806,00.asp that uses the Intel B987

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:I agree that this more closely matches the Q200e...but there are other variations on the X202e, in fact here is a review http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418806,00.asp that uses the Intel B987

I've never seen that one for sell in the US (the review says listed in CAD, canadian dollars?), and woot has always provided us with the exact model number for every other laptop or computer they sell.

I've definitely never seen an X202e listed with the specs that match a Q200e.

If woot have any on hand it is easy as turning it over in reading it off the back label.

gak0090

theguruguys wrote:I've never seen that one for sell in the US, and went to provide us with the exact model number for every other laptop or computer they sell.

if woot have any on hand it is easy as turning it over in reading it off the back label.

Agreed. It's already refurbed, it's not like anyone would notice that the box was opened up. C'mon woot- we're all dying to know.

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

What I read is that the Q version was a Best Buy exclusive.

gak0090

ronfronberg wrote:What I read is that the Q version was a Best Buy exclusive.

That would make sense, because the Asus site doesn't really make mention of it. Maybe a bunch got returned back from Best Buy, Asus refurbed them and now they are trying to sell them off again.

anilpillai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anilpillai

I lurked. And lurked. And could lurk no more, so I bit.

In for one. I think I want to give this to my folks back home. They only have an older desktop right now, and this one - with all it's cons such as they are - should still pull them screaming into the 21st century's second decade.

I just need to buy them a USB DVD drive - just so they have that capability as well.

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:That would make sense, because the Asus site doesn't really make mention of it. Maybe a bunch got returned back from Best Buy, Asus refurbed them and now they are trying to sell them off again.

I agree. What I want to know is does the back of them say Q200E or some new X202e-XXXX sub model that ASUS just created for this purpose. I was soo ready to buy one of these for my sister for her upcoming birthday, even wrote the nice review of the X202E I've known and loved, then find out this doesn't match those specs.

The Q200e, which this basically is for all practical research purposes, is not near as good of a deal at $299. It has gone on sale frequently at Best Buy for $349, I know because a customer of mine went and bought one thinking they were getting the same one I had. I made them return it and get the X202e from MicroCenter for $399 instead.

When woot! sells an HP DV7 for instance, they list DV7-XXXX etc. Why not here?

rahulclp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rahulclp
gak0090 wrote:Agreed. It's already refurbed, it's not like anyone would notice that the box was opened up. C'mon woot- we're all dying to know.

C'mon guys, let woot! have some rest in day-time so they can answer your "doubts" in night-time. Perhaps simple but effective logic of 'more doubts, more sale" being applied here ( as have seen many times on other site when guys who want to sale their used stuff, say "laptop for sale" at $100. Now you keep on guessing what it may be or call him ( if at all # is provided ).. and someone would really buy it, after travelling and wasting time in it :-)).

Just as this page of posting comment, says "cance", so thought it was for "cancer" and not "cancel", so I did not click on it. Sorry woot!.

EDIT : BTW, I have already kept one in cart, in case this turns out what we all hope for :-)

gak0090

rahulclp wrote:C'mon guys, let woot! have some rest in day-time so they can answer your "doubts" in night-time. Perhaps simple but effective logic of 'more doubts, more sale" being applied here ( as have seen many times on other site when guys who want to sale their used stuff, say "laptop for sale" at $100. Now you keep on guessing what it may be or call him ( if at all # is provided ).. and someone would really buy it, after travelling and wasting time in it :-)).

Just as this page of posting comment, says "cance", so thought it was for "cancer" and not "cancel", so I did not click on it. Sorry woot!.

EDIT : BTW, I have already kept one in cart, in case this turns out what we all hope for :-)

Even if the model is wrong, if the Specs are correct- it's still a pretty sweet laptop at a decent deal

bluemaple

quality posts: 65 Private Messages bluemaple
anilpillai wrote:I lurked. And lurked. And could lurk no more, so I bit.

In for one. I think I want to give this to my folks back home. They only have an older desktop right now, and this one - with all it's cons such as they are - should still pull them screaming into the 21st century's second decade.

I just need to buy them a USB DVD drive - just so they have that capability as well.

@anilpillai, while I completely agree the lack of a proper model number is very frustrating... and that the specs listed for this price make this laptop interesting, I'd be cautious about it for my parents.

Hopefully your parents are younger than mine and or have a decent sized external monitor. An 11 inch display is great for compactness, but not for aging eyes unless it has a lot more resolution like many tablets. My over 70 parents are pretty content with a 17 inch laptop however.

BTW, we're happy with our Samsung external USB DVD drive - I think we paid something like $30-35 for it.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gak0090 wrote:Even if the model is wrong, if the Specs are correct- it's still a pretty sweet laptop at a decent deal

The specs are correct. The model # is correct.
q200e designates the retailer.
hopefully this helps!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

theguruguys

PemberDucky wrote:The specs are correct. The model # is correct.
q200e designates the retailer.
hopefully this helps!

Can you give us the exact model number ie. x202e-XXXX because this x202e matches no others.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

theguruguys wrote:Can you give us the exact model number ie. x202e-XXXX because this x202e matches no others.

Sorry guru. At this time they're not giving us any further information regarding the sale. To the best of our knowledge the model number and specifications given are as accurate and valid as we have been informed.

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:Even if the model is wrong, if the Specs are correct- it's still a pretty sweet laptop at a decent deal

Not so much when best buy has sold the q200e for $349 recently. With that you get the full one year warranty on a new one with same specs.

tgeexx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgeexx
icehands wrote:SquareTrade does warranties on refurbs. Wait to use a 30% off coupon.

Where do you get the 30% off coupons and how long do you have before buying the warranty?

theguruguys

ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry guru. At this time they're not giving us any further information regarding the sale. To the best of our knowledge the model number and specifications given are as accurate and valid as we have been informed.

Thanks for the reply. It seems pretty clear now that these are q200e's being reclassified. When purchasers get these I will interested to see what the model number it says on the back.

Hopefully next time they will get the x202e-dh31t.

deckscrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deckscrew

What is the difference between the two? Amazon sells the 200 for more than the 202.

deckscrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deckscrew

Amazon has the X202E-DH31T for $429.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1I1C4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IZSVPJ8MGXZY

theguruguys

bluemaple wrote:@anilpillai

Hopefully your parents are younger than mine and or have a decent sized external monitor. An 11 inch display is great for compactness, but not for aging eyes unless it has a lot more resolution like many tablets. My over 70 parents are pretty content with a 17 inch laptop however

This is a common misconception. The size of the monitor is not directly related to the size of the text on the screen, the pixel density/resolution is.

In this case the lower resolution of the monitor prevents you from seeing as much on the screen at once without scrolling but keeps text plenty readable even at default dpi scaling settings. Furthermore the touch screen makes it easy to teach older folks how to zoom in and out on areas of web pages.

Ive had customer after customer go buy a larger sized higher resolution (1920x1080) monitor to replace their small lower resolution monitor thinking everything will be bigger then call me and complain everything is too small.

kolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kolio

What the staff has hinted at & some of the members here as well,is that this was once a BEST BUY exclusive,w/todays' WOOT only difference being the retailers stock/model number.

Everything else (SPECS) in this link to COWBOOM (a BEST BUY subsidiary) matches up:

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1281128/

bluemaple

quality posts: 65 Private Messages bluemaple
theguruguys wrote:This is a common misconception. The size of the monitor is not directly related to the size of the text on the screen, the pixel density/resolution is.

In this case the lower resolution of the monitor prevents you from seeing as much on the screen at once without scrolling but keeps text plenty readable even at default dpi scaling settings. Furthermore the touch screen makes it easy to teach older folks how to zoom in and out on areas of web pages.

Ive had customer after customer go buy a larger sized higher resolution (1920x1080) monitor to replace their small lower resolution monitor thinking everything will be bigger then call me and complain everything is too small.

@theguruguys, I based it on personal, real world experience and that's why I indicated an HD tablet in this size range makes more sense for older eyes.

I too have those older eyes, and we have devices ranging from 7 inch tablets & 10 inch netbooks to 10 inch tablets and 17 inch laptops, with laptops driving 24 inch HD monitors.

Yes, both resolution and display size matter. As with most tech decisions, the best match results from the end user personally trying out the choices.

aeddie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aeddie
theguruguys wrote:I stand corrected, will fix my post. It needs the smaller of the two (Samsungs are smaller), or you can take apart the case of the 9mm SSD drive and just stick it in that way (which is what I did).

The Samsung 840 series SSD fits perfectly. They also come with software that transfers the data to the SSD from the original hard drive. Upgrade time < 1 hour and most of that is waiting for the copy to complete.

gak0090

theguruguys wrote:Not so much when best buy has sold the q200e for $349 recently. With that you get the full one year warranty on a new one with same specs.

I said it was a decent deal -not a great deal- when you factor in tax and all, you are saving about 20%+ over Best Buy. I'd rather take that $50-$70 (tax around $20?) and put it towards an SSD.

So basically I should of held my ground regarding the model, but I'll let you claim a close second since there were extenuating circumstances-LOL

zahgrim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zahgrim

For what it's worth, I ordered two IBM ThinkPad X41's from eCost a few years ago and they didn't advertise bluetooth, yet one model shipped with a bluetooth module and the other did not. It also didn't list the built-in accelerometer (orientation sensor) even though Android puts it to excellent use. In fact, checking my receipt, it says Thinkpad X41 1.5GHz Intel Tablet PC and doesn't even address the precise model series (1866 / 1867) even though it was IBM refurbished and both were tablets.

If all is true from the woot-umentation, the 90 day warranty originates from ASUS (precisely Warranty: 90 Day Asus) which might mean it was refurbished directly by ASUS.

Perhaps a Staff member can affirm the 90-day warranty originates from ASUS.

Even longer ago I picked up a refurbished EEE PC 1000HE from mwave and it also said the same about the warranty directly from ASUS for 90 days and was labeled factory refurbished.

I wonder if given that the primary components for the various X, Q and S models are the same, if the refurbishing company used in-stock parts and replaced failed X202E motherboards with Q-series i3-2365m motherboards. Without incurring additional labor, likely they couldn't easily rebrand the device's sticker, and what would they label it? The X202E-FR4NK3NST31N?

I guess we'll find out when a telling customer receives one.

Interestingly, one review stated that X model had a better display than Q model.

theguruguys

bluemaple wrote:@theguruguys, I based it on personal, real world experience and that's why I indicated an HD tablet in this size range makes more sense for older eyes.

I too have those older eyes, and we have devices ranging from 7 inch tablets & 10 inch netbooks to 10 inch tablets and 17 inch laptops, with laptops driving 24 inch HD monitors.

Yes, both resolution and display size matter. As with most tech decisions, the best match results from the end user personally trying out the choices.

This display scales nicely. I have a 72 year old retired doctor using an X202e no problem, she loves it and has bad eyes. She finds it easier to read than her Nexus 7. Did you try to adjust the DPI?

We can agree to disagree here, but I don't think the guy that bought it for their grandparents should be too concerned about them being able to read the screen. It scales nicely and teaching them to pinch and zoom is a breeze if they need things bigger.

theguruguys

gak0090 wrote:I said it was a decent deal -not a great deal- when you factor in tax and all, you are saving about 20%+ over Best Buy. I'd rather take that $50-$70 (tax around $20?) and put it towards an SSD.

So basically I should of held my ground regarding the model, but I'll let you claim a close second since there were extenuating circumstances-LOL

I just had a grumpy stressful day today, and was happy at first when I thought it was like the X202e I had and was going to buy one then realized it was the Q200e in disguise, then got frustrated and took it out on woot comments ;)

Personally I'd pay $100 more and get the X202e-DH31T with the faster processor, Bluetooth, etc and also the full 1 year ASUS accidental protection plan (covers drops, spills) included.