WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pyrex Containerz

Sometimes people ask us, "Hey Woot Writers, how do you make commonplace items interesting?" Well, we can't give away all our secrets, but when we're feeling exceptionally lazy we'll just replace an "S" with a "Z" and it seems slightly more "edgy". Now go buy some containerz. 

subether

quality posts: 3 Private Messages subether

*makes popcorn*

Cue the inevitable discussion on old pyrex vs. new pyrex with added random explosions etc. ad nausum.

FWIW, I've got the 8 pc. bowl set and the 10 pc. storage set- the lids fit pretty decently, and as long as you treat the containers like the glass they are, you'll do fine.

Anyone for popcorn?

slylynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slylynn

Where was this sale before Mother's Day?

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf
subether wrote:*makes popcorn*

Cue the inevitable discussion on old pyrex vs. new pyrex with added random explosions etc. ad nausum.

FWIW, I've got the 8 pc. bowl set and the 10 pc. storage set- the lids fit pretty decently, and as long as you treat the containers like the glass they are, you'll do fine.

Anyone for popcorn?

I'll take some, thanks!

I've got a random selection of these. They are probably all "new" but they work fine, although some need new lids. I do not recommend dropping these -- they make a very loud noise. : )

conand19

quality posts: 4 Private Messages conand19

Are these glass bottoms? It says plastic in the description, but not whether the bowls are glass.

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

conand19 wrote:Are these glass bottoms? It says plastic in the description, but not whether the bowls are glass.

I think it would be safe to assume that the bowls themselves are indeed glass.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I'll take some of that popcorn too if there's any left.

I have the bowl set and some of the storage containers.

To answer some often asked questions: The seals on the bowls are NOT leakproof. The seals on the storage containers aren't marketed as leakproof, but they're pretty good. (I have not tried the "No Leak Lids.) The instructions say you can put the plastic lids in the dishwasher & microwave, but I never do and I've had mine for years and they have not warped. Have never broken any of the glass because 1) I avoid the temperature extremes, and 2) I haven't dropped any.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Anyone for popcorn?

Here, I'll loan part of the long post I drag out for this discussion:
Rather than link to the long discusssions on pyrex and glassware (borosilicate of the old stuff vs. soda lime glass of the new stuff ) which I've been a part of, I'll summarize:
1. If you drop the borosilicate, it shatters into many pieces potentially.
2. If you break the soda lima glass, it potentially breaks into fewer pieces.
3. If you put the old borosilicate down on a surface (particularly after baking), it probably won't break.
4. If you put the new soda lime glass on anything but a cloth type potholder(?) (particularly after baking), you take the risk of it shattering from the sudden temperature change (the videos and reports are out there, like putting on a ceramic range top). I think the truth it somewhere in between. It's not one in a million, but it's not 1 in 2 either.
5. Any shattering of glassware is at minimum scary and at worst harmful.
6. Other companies due make borosilicate, like Pyrex Europe's line, and Lock & Lock.
7. There have been reports (not many) of the soda lime glass breaking "spontaneously".
8. I'm not against someone correcting me on the above, but I've posted a number of links in the past on this. If I didn't have enough new and old pyrex and corningware ceramic/glassware, I wouldn't be afraid of buying this, but I'd always make sure after baking that it doesn't get set down on a cooler surface. Someone commented before to be cautious of uneven distribution of temperature, and said even in the oven, (s)he puts it on a cookie sheet.

Oh, heck, here's one of my old comments

whatsamattaU wrote:Sorry, this may be the only time I can make a comment for at least the rest of this week.

First, the question of Snapware glass. Likely soda lime glass ("tempered"), but this article has flaws, such as saying you can't stick Snapware in the oven (this model can):
http://glassstoragecontainers.info/the-types-of-glass-that-go-into-making-glass-storage-containers/

and Snapware says it's tempered glass (which to me implies it's not borosilicate but rather soda lime glass):
http://www.snapware.com/questions

Regardless, you have the warnings from snapware on care:
http://www.snapware.com/use-care

Consumer Reports had their own study of the issue in January 2011, but the link is for subscribers only (there are more parts to the article, I'm just linking to the test):
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/home-garden/glass-cookware/glass-cookware-tests/index.htm

They wanted to test beyond the manufacturer's recommendations baking with sand inside for 80 minutes.

The upshot of testing U.S. Anchor Oven Basics and Pyrex soda lime glass is that at 400 and 450 degrees, they all shattered when put on the wet counter. Only one of the European borosilicate dishes broke--the Arcusine Elegance (France), being baked twice.

At 500 degrees, all of the European borosilicate broke (European Pyrex Classic and Arcusine), but a really old American Pyrex borosilicate survived even 500 degrees.

Two American Pyrex broke being put on a smoothtop range from the oven, the other 3 didn't break, and did okay moving to dry granite.

Two last caveats. Tempered soda lime glass did show the highest impact resistance, but it varied in ability among the dishes (and in theory, tempered glass isn't supposed to break into sharp shards, but I've read enough stories about shattering that I'm not so sure on that one).

Finally, their longer safety tips:
"To minimize the chances of glass bakeware shattering, read and save the safety instructions on the product's packaging. Here are some safety rules to follow:

Always place hot glassware on a dry, cloth potholder or towel.
Never put glassware directly on a burner or under a broiler.
Always allow the oven to fully preheat before placing the glassware in the oven.
Always cover the bottom of the dish with liquid before cooking meat or vegetables.
Don't add liquid to hot glassware.
If you're using the dish in a microwave, do not use browning elements, and avoid overheating oil or butter.
Do not take dishes directly from the freezer to the oven or vice versa.
Never place hot glassware on top of a stove, on a metal trivet, on a damp towel, in the sink, on a cold or wet surface, or directly on a countertop.
Inspect your dishes for chips, cracks, and scratches. Discard dishes with such damage.
To avoid risks associated with glass dishes, consider using metal bakeware for conventional and convection ovens."

Even given all of this, I might buy these. I'd comment on the pyrex sales link, with similar discussion, but I'm out of time: http://home.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4729678&pageindex=1&replycount=91

Sorry, have to go back to work. Hope this helps. Good night.

Broklynite said this in response
"Borosilicate can and should also be tempered. Tempering refers to baking the glass at a high enough heat (but below the softening point) that the stresses are taken out of the glass. This makes the glass much less likely to break under ay kind of strain.

That said, more than likely it is soda ash. Fine for everyday storage, not something which I'd bake with."

I've got to go to work. Hope this helps.

badlass

quality posts: 7 Private Messages badlass

Has anyone tried the new style ones that are advertised as leakproof and air tight? I'd love to get some real leak proof ones. i.e. that can transport soup thrown in a backpack sideways and stay dry until lunch time.

CatCK wrote:I'll take some of that popcorn too if there's any left.

I have the bowl set and some of the storage containers.

To answer some often asked questions: The seals on the bowls are NOT leakproof. The seals on the storage containers aren't marketed as leakproof, but they're pretty good. (I have not tried the "No Leak Lids.) The instructions say you can put the plastic lids in the dishwasher & microwave, but I never do and I've had mine for years and they have not warped. Have never broken any of the glass because 1) I avoid the temperature extremes, and 2) I haven't dropped any.

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

I have the 16 piece round storage set and I love it. They nest nicely (I keep the lids in the drawer above them) and they look nice enough to serve in then just throw on a lid and put in the fridge. We have had no chips, breaks or cracks and neither my husband or I are easy on dishes. All in all very happy with them.

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Anyone for popcorn?

I'd love some thank you !

I have a couple sets of storage bowls of various shapes and sizes. I love them ! I don't put the lids in the dishwasher just to be sure. I bought 2 sets, but haven't opened the second set yet. I realized, too late of course, that I should of opened it right away, since some Wootizens have pieces arrive broken. The box I opened -- they were shipped together-- was fine so not too worried.
I need to go through and clean cupboards to make more room -- dump out old unsafe plastic that is taking up space and not used anymore.

I find I use the smaller bowls more than any other, so I might grab a set with more of those in them.

Some of the lids I have to burp when I put on the bowls. Some are a little loose. I just put a piece of waxed paper on the inside of the lid to make it tight when storing soup in the freezer or transporting.

Anyone want some soda with the popcorn ? I've got some rootbeer.

teespeak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teespeak

I have the 8 piece Smart Essentials mixing bowl set. I love it but I would advise you to measure your cabinet shelves before buying. The 4 qt. bowl is 11.75" wide and my shelves are only 11" deep. You may have to store it in a separate area.

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010
badlass wrote:Has anyone tried the new style ones that are advertised as leakproof and air tight? I'd love to get some real leak proof ones. i.e. that can transport soup thrown in a backpack sideways and stay dry until lunch time.

The only thing I have found that is truly leak-proof and airtight is lock & lock. I bought a glass set here on woot and they are really great. If you want to transport soup that is my recommendation.

aeneasvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt

I'm honestly a little zurprized that none of theze have zold out yet. I bought two zetz, in addition to the big zet of ztorage bowlz I got a while back. Great brand name, good deal on theze productz.

jeffcoonen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffcoonen
badlass wrote:Has anyone tried the new style ones that are advertised as leakproof and air tight? I'd love to get some real leak proof ones. i.e. that can transport soup thrown in a backpack sideways and stay dry until lunch time.

I have some of the leakproof guys (from Target, not Woot), and so far they've lived up to their name. I haven't tried transporting something like minestrone but it's help up fine against sauces and creamy soups. If I had more kitchen space I would order these now.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Woot is trying to sell the 11 piece for $39.99 on Amazon!

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
bsmith1 wrote:Woot is trying to sell the 11 piece for $39.99 on Amazon!

Close, but not quite the same set. Look at the handles on the rectangular pans. (The smaller one would fit in my toaster-oven, the one here won't.)

And, in the summer, that toaster-oven ROCKS!

steve

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
skou wrote:Close, but not quite the same set. Look at the handles on the rectangular pans. (The smaller one would fit in my toaster-oven, the one here won't.)

And, in the summer, that toaster-oven ROCKS!

steve

Ah, you're right. Good eye!
woot:

amazon: