SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

On the top of the websites, there is all that wordage especially with the addition of watches. It's getting really busy. Perhaps the code monkeys would consider taking off the words and replacing them with symbols? You could still have the text when you hover over it.

Suggestions:
Accessories- a watch
Tech- Laptop
Home- Sofa
Tools- a rake
Sport- some inflatable ball used in sporting events
Kids- a stick figure kid
Shirt- A tee obviously
Wine- Bottle
Sellout- Currency symbol with a down arrow behind it.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

Why not just a search field like the rest of Amazon?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Spiky wrote:Why not just a search field like the rest of Amazon?

Ick. I like the idea of crisp, simple logos at the top better. If it would have to happen. I'm not ready for it to happen yet, personally...

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
SkekTek wrote:On the top of the websites, there is all that wordage especially with the addition of watches. It's getting really busy. Perhaps the code monkeys would consider taking off the words and replacing them with symbols? You could still have the text when you hover over it.

Suggestions:
Accessories- a watch
Tech- Laptop
Home- Sofa
Tools- a rake
Sport- some inflatable ball used in sporting events
Kids- a stick figure kid
Shirt- A tee obviously
Wine- Bottle
Sellout- Currency symbol with a down arrow behind it.

That would bring us one step closer to the movie Idiocracy where the hospital employees only know how to touch pictures to diagnose injuries. Not every website/company/average joe needs an app with icons to do things. Most people still like reading words, and I think words are more concise than silly icons.

What if I think of the watch icon as jewelry? I'll be disappointed to see sunglasses for sale. How are we supposed to know the stick figure kid is a kid without an adult for scale? Currency symbol with a down arrow behind it? Was the dollar down against worldwide currencies today? Kids play with balls don't they, so maybe the inflatable ball is actually kids toys.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
elangomatt wrote:That would bring us one step closer to the movie Idiocracy where the hospital employees only know how to touch pictures to diagnose injuries. Not every website/company/average joe needs an app with icons to do things. Most people still like reading words, and I think words are more concise than silly icons.

What if I think of the watch icon as jewelry? I'll be disappointed to see sunglasses for sale. How are we supposed to know the stick figure kid is a kid without an adult for scale? Currency symbol with a down arrow behind it? Was the dollar down against worldwide currencies today? Kids play with balls don't they, so maybe the inflatable ball is actually kids toys.

But silly icons and pictures is the epitome of woot! Just saying, the words are getting pretty long across the top, and on a small window, you can't see the ones on the right side. At the very least, Woot needs to have a more scalable website. Perhaps it only shifts to symbology when the window width is reduced below a certain threshold.

How are we supposed to know what each symbol means? That's what this little process called "learning" is for- bacteria can learn, so I assume so can you

I hate clutter. There, I said it.