WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about Father's Day?
  • 31.8% - It's a great way to honor the old man 524
  • 36% - It's a pretend holiday cooked-up by retail companies like this one 592
  • 13.1% - Oh crap. I always forget about it. 215
  • 16.5% - As a father I can say that I'm always happy to get free stuff. 272
  • 2.6% - Other (comments) 43
1646 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

A day to go find a big-mouth-billy-bass and give it to dad as a gag gift. It's tradition!

FigureofAction48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FigureofAction48

Depends on the father you had.

austinrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages austinrhea

A mixture of choice A & B. It is a great way to honor dad, but I get so sick of the push to spend more and more. It used to be a nice shirt or dinner out with a card was enough. Now companies are pushing you to buy a new flat screen TV or computer. Good grief!

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24

Dads already dead.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

It's another way to make me feel obligated to remember all the other "days" like Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Birth Days, Xmas Days, Summer Solstice Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, The Day the Earth Stood Still. I'd just as soon forget them all. I might feel differently if I were "in" retail.

photobobk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages photobobk

No Dad, no kids...

Just another (Pleasant Valley) Sunday
(Here in status symbol land)

mncowboy96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mncowboy96

Well my dad was an arse. I do however have a pretty sweet father in law who does a heck of a lot for the wife and I. It is all about choices of who you want to be and how you want your kids to know you as. Funny how my father is rotting of old age alone in Iowa and the father in law will be taken care of.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

34.1% - It's a pretend holiday cooked-up by retail companies like this one

Pretend Holiday?? For your Father??
You Got Some Act. Must have Hated
your dad, or don't know who he is..

jtmacc99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtmacc99

I went with "As a father, I like to get free stuff."

Then I remembered that one way or another, I probably paid for it anyway.

Still, it's fun to go out to a dinner with my still very young kids. We've started a tradition of some sort of ethnic food. Pretty tame choices so far of Mexican year one, Japanese steak house year two, German year three. I figure that as they get older, we'll get more and more adventurous.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
photobobk wrote:No Dad, no kids...

Just another (Pleasant Valley) Sunday
(Here in status symbol land)

You are now my favorite obscure reference dropper. Thanks

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett

Dad died before I became a Dad. After experiencing my daughter, I don't get any (can't make sense of)any of the issues he had with me. I could not possibly love my kid more than I do. I was a good kid, he never had to pick me up at the police station, the school never called him, I graduated cum laude and I was well liked at school. He treated me like I was a failure.

Miss you Dad

Wordmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wordmama

Always gives me a pang; my dad was a great man, though no one knew it but us, and also a profoundly good man (they're not always the same). Miss him every day.

da wordmama

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

My dad was a great father, but a lousy husband. Drove my mom crazy with everything he did, a lot illegal.
On the other hand, he taught me to play ball, ride a bike, all those dad things. he passed away when I was barely 30. Never got to see his grand-kids. Mom got those blessings. Things work out.

schorert

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schorert
mdkopper wrote:34.1% - It's a pretend holiday cooked-up by retail companies like this one

Pretend Holiday?? For your Father??
You Got Some Act. Must have Hated
your dad, or don't know who he is..

you must not have known your dad, or you're not a dad yourself.
My father always hated the gifts associated with this day...as kids are obligated by retailers to go out and buy him something. So you take money from mom and you go buy a shirt or a wrench set( to replace the 52 wrenches we left out in the rain). Dad didn't want anything but to maybe hear "I love you dad" and enjoy a meal together.
Now that I have a teen daughter, I have no use for the gifts either. My daughter, despite my protests, will take money from my wife and go out and buy the same crap that I don't want(and really if you're on woot you already buy all the crap than you want or need anyway). All I want is a hand-written card that says something funny and "I love you dad" inside.

So yeah, this holiday, like all the others, is manufactured by retailers.

reganscherencel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reganscherencel

It makes me sad. I abandoned my kids to live with another woman, and it was the worst mistake of my life.

atherea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atherea
FigureofAction48 wrote:Depends on the father you had.

I second this statement, and feel it should be a poll option! Not all of us had/have fathers who deserve to be celebrated.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

I'm disturbed by the amount of Wooters with bad fathers...

I wouldn't think having a bad fatherhood turns you into some kind of computer/internet slave which would lead us all to places like Woot........ so I've gotta wonder if this is a similar percentage to the general population of the world?

Rock on dad. You were and still are awesome.

thejenandonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejenandonly

It's a great day to wonder if I should send anything to the man who broke my mother's heart and mine, and doesn't even care.

jlg1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlg1985

Call me Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!,I don't care, I have a father, NOT AN OLD MAN! What is wrong with you people. nowadays, doesn't. anyone know the meaning of R E S P E C T (just a little bit, c'mon Aretha sing on...) and? Or maybe people just never had it to begin with!

There are so many things wrong with people today, including those making their sarcastic remarks right in here. Especially the generation growing up and their kits after them. Everything is selfish about them, what's in it for me, what do I get out of it, it's not cool, whatever. There ain't a soul that can say they love and respect their mother's and fathers and include the word "old man" in the phrase. Period.

If you love someone then you have to respect them first. You can't love without respecting a person first, and if you respect someone enough to love them then your NOT worried how it looks if you use common work like dad, father, mom and mother. What's wrong with that?

Go ahead vote me down, make your "funny" remarks, be a comedian, and/or an immature punk about it. I love my mother and father and I'm treasurng every moment I have with them now that they're 81 abs 82 respectfully. So to all you father's out there, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY. I hope you enjoy the day with your children and love them enough to teach/show them the word R E S P E C T. Get out your old iPod and play music, dance, sway to those sounds that excite your mind and use it to teach your kids something, anything about the word respect!

I'm a 50 year old father to two beautiful daughters. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, and I'm sure I'll continue to make BIG mistakes but I'll continue to show my parents the respect they earned and hopefully earn the of my daughter's!

JPG63

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

It's just an over hyped day like Mothers day now. I don't do anything special but call or spend time with my Dad like I do any other day.

MacSyber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MacSyber

It's not the same anymore. I do miss the guy.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

I always enjoy the people who whine about the commercial aspects of "invented" holidays. Apparently they haven't realized they don't have to buy anything. Ever. So remember that the next time those curly-mustached, evil retailers sneak into your house and try to make off with your wallet.

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

It means absolutely nothing to the disposable dad who also no longer has a dad of his own.

Marichele

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marichele

Always falls on my Birthday weekend. I love my Dad. But we've always shared.

LOVE YOU DADDY!

Marichele

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I am a father and I think the holiday is stupid. I don't need a card or a present to enjoy my family I Soitenly! to be honored for doing my job well (or not).

lclement4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lclement4

I really miss my dad. He died when I was 25. He never really got to see me grow up. :-(

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

lclement4 wrote:I really miss my dad. He died when I was 25. He never really got to see me grow up. :-(

Same here man. I was 26. I really wished he coulda been around to see me get my degree and make some more mistakes

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
FigureofAction48 wrote:Depends on the father you had.

Exactly! My 'father' was terrible. But, we had an awesome mom! I always get her something because she was a great dad too.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!