WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Which technology will be next to become obsolete?
  • 16.1% - Blu-ray 372
  • 11.9% - Wristwatches 275
  • 3.3% - Local storage 75
  • 2.6% - Gas powered cars 61
  • 44% - Standalone GPS navigation systems 1016
  • 20.1% - Cable Television 463
  • 2% - Something else (comments) 45
2307 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

myrddinemrys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages myrddinemrys

Umm, wristwatches are already obsolete...

Plex49

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Plex49
myrddinemrys wrote:Umm, wristwatches are already obsolete...

Well said.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

I voted for GPS, but I'm still holding onto my Garmin, affectionately named Lola. It lets me do more than the phone-based apps (detours, favorites, etc), does not need wifi, and is not crippled by dead-zones.

And yes, I still wear a wristwatch. I do not wear my phone, and I want to know what time it is without being so obvious/rude about it.

01sio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 01sio

Buggy whips. Mark my words, we will all be hitting our horses with tasers or microwaves by AD 2020.

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg

Blu Ray didn't even stick around long enough for me to watch a dozen discs. Most the movies I watch now are streamed in "Super HD".

niwegenke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niwegenke

Haha came to the discussion to say that exact line.

glamontagne

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glamontagne
niwegenke wrote:Haha came to the discussion to say that exact line.

Yeah me too. I haven't worn a wristwatch in at least 5 years, if not longer.

Random Crap - Level 7 Woot-Off Lights
Dazzle Video Creator Platinum Philips Prestigo Universal Remote Altec Lansing M604 for Zune Remote Control Helicopter Train Set Microsoft Zune 30GB Roadside Emergency Kit Microsoft Zune 6 Player Texas Hold’em Poker

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
bnbsouthworth wrote:I voted for GPS, but I'm still holding onto my Garmin, affectionately named Lola. It lets me do more than the phone-based apps (detours, favorites, etc), does not need wifi, and is not crippled by dead-zones.

And yes, I still wear a wristwatch. I do not wear my phone, and I want to know what time it is without being so obvious/rude about it.

Do you think we can't see you look at your wrist? Being rude about it is up to the person, not the device.

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle
glamontagne wrote:Yeah me too. I haven't worn a wristwatch in at least 5 years, if not longer.

Yeah me too...too. ;o)

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
bnbsouthworth wrote:I voted for GPS, but I'm still holding onto my Garmin, affectionately named Lola. It lets me do more than the phone-based apps (detours, favorites, etc), does not need wifi, and is not crippled by dead-zones.

Wow---exactly what I thought, but I named my Garmin Lucy...wristwatch...phone...and I'm a Southworth, too!!! Weird!!!

dynamiclynk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dynamiclynk

Blu-ray will be obsolete when I have fiber access to my home.

shaloupam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaloupam

Wristwatches will be around for a while. Ladies have their jewelry, men have their watches. My husband is a watch fiend. He has 17 and wears them all, but luckily not at the same time. ;)

eblessman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblessman

My Garmin (also called Lola) is used all of the time. It is so much faster and accurate than my phone that it keeps itself relevant.
I still wear watches. Even if I don't strictly need them.
I don't have cable TV so I don't care.
Blue-ray, 4K is right around the corner. It will be left in the dust.

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Definitely Blu-Ray.

Wristwatches are great when you are diving/swimming/sports, or for fashion when getting dressed up for events (as a guy or a gal).

GPS in cars (didn't say in the question) as far as stand alone systems definitely will slow to a halt, but GPS on fishing boats, aircraft etc are going to thrive.

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
shaloupam wrote:Wristwatches will be around for a while. Ladies have their jewelry, men have their watches.

The cheap timex is on its way out, granted. There is a use case still as a part of the wearable computing thing. I'm wearing a watch, but its an ABC watch. But in any event, it is helpful to have time display (and other sensor/computing display, really) that doesn't require a pocket.

Pebble anyone?

torturegarden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages torturegarden

Wristwatches will never be obsolete. I wear one very day even though I don;t need to. It's more a fashion/personal statement and less about knowing what time it is. Also, I feel naked when I don;t have a watch on. It's like a part of me is missing, kind of like phantom limb syndrome. I will wear a watch until the day I die or someone chops my arms off, whichever happens I'm tryin' to think, but nuthin' happens.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

I, too, used to think wristwatches were obsolete, until I started coaching soccer. Now I wouldn't dare coach without wearing a watch. It's also made me realize they are more convenient (and far less obvious) than phones for checking the time. So I have to agree with some of the others that wristwatches will never be obsolete.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

I think many of you wootheads don't understand the meaning of "obsolete". It does NOT mean that you, yourself, no longer use something. It means no longer in use or no longer useful, like they no longer make or sell them. Watches are used daily by many millions of people as are landlines and pay-phones. Poor people are getting more cell phones so yes, pay-phones are slowly becoming obsolete but they will be around for a while. And land lines are becoming rare among the youth but old people love them. And watches(at least expensive ones) are actually going UP in price because of the demand. The earth rotates around the sun.....not you.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

Marichele

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marichele
hosesplus wrote:I think many of you wootheads don't understand the meaning of "obsolete". It does NOT mean that you, yourself, no longer use something. It means no longer in use or no longer useful, like they no longer make or sell them. Watches are used daily by many millions of people as are landlines and pay-phones. Poor people are getting more cell phones so yes, pay-phones are slowly becoming obsolete but they will be around for a while. And land lines are becoming rare among the youth but old people love them. And watches(at least expensive ones) are actually going UP in price because of the demand. The earth rotates around the sun.....not you.

Yes, some obsolete things I remember: 8 in Floppy, 5.25 floppy and 3.5 floppy, leaded gasoline.

Oh, and I wear a watch everyday. I hate it when people check their phones for the time, so much TIME wasted.

Marichele

glamontagne

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glamontagne
hosesplus wrote:I think many of you wootheads don't understand the meaning of "obsolete". It does NOT mean that you, yourself, no longer use something. It means no longer in use or no longer useful, like they no longer make or sell them. Watches are used daily by many millions of people as are landlines and pay-phones. Poor people are getting more cell phones so yes, pay-phones are slowly becoming obsolete but they will be around for a while. And land lines are becoming rare among the youth but old people love them. And watches(at least expensive ones) are actually going UP in price because of the demand. The earth rotates around the sun.....not you.

Just so you know, the small city that I live in does not have a single pay phone. They were all removed 5 years ago by the new local phone carrier due to lack of use.

As far as wrist watches go, they have gradually been replaced with cell phones. In my office, the only ones who still use them are nurses, because they need to check pulse rates of the patients.

Random Crap - Level 7 Woot-Off Lights
Dazzle Video Creator Platinum Philips Prestigo Universal Remote Altec Lansing M604 for Zune Remote Control Helicopter Train Set Microsoft Zune 30GB Roadside Emergency Kit Microsoft Zune 6 Player Texas Hold’em Poker

ascii256

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ascii256

One thing is for sure. Whatever it is, we'll see a lot of them on Woot!

6/10 Dynamo Flashlight/Radio 6/5 PlayGear Share Splitter 5/31 VRDH200 Stereo Headphones
5/14 Single Serving Coffeemaker 4/27 Screaming Monkey with Black Cape 5/15 2 ear check ear thermometer 6/05 play gear share audio splitter 6/5 Logitech PlayGear Share Audio Splitter 4/27 Buslink Mini Stereo System 4/26 Zyxel M-202 Mimo Network Adapter 4/26 Excalibur USB Portable Drive 3/23 Screaming Monkey with Green Cape 3/23 Philips GoGear 2GB MP3 Player

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

If one were to use the logic that "obsolete" items still in use in any capacity prevents said item from being obsolete, name a technology that is actually "obsolete"? Literally all technology is used in some fashion in the present-day. According to your logic, 1 person touching an abacus prevents it from being obsolete.

The fact is that wristwatches, for all intents and purposes (1. allowing the individual to accurately tell the time of day; 2. tracking the passage of time between one event and another,) are obsolete because they have been replaced by cellular phones. Cellular devices are now capable of doing both functions in a more efficient and superior way than wristwatches. If there is one example of obsolete technology to represent the meaning of "obsolete", it's the wristwatch.

/diatribe