quality posts: 3000 Private Messages lichme

lichme

quality posts: 3000 Private Messages lichme

Item: Sharp Portable Air Conditioner
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/6/2013 - $249.99 - 54 comment(s)

MalibuSky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MalibuSky

Does anyone know how long the exhaust hose is?

limejuice84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages limejuice84
MalibuSky wrote:Does anyone know how long the exhaust hose is?

yup! its about 5 feet long when fully extended, maybe a little longer. However, because of the way it attatches to the unit you lose about a foot of length.

afruzzetti

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afruzzetti

I have two of these things, both from Woot. They do the job of cooling a bedroom or office, but probably not a larger space. They are a single hose unit which is less ideal than the dual-hose types (of which I have one). They are notorious for their weak casters, which many people have noted in past reviews. One of mine has a wonky caster, which just makes it more difficult to move, but does not impede performance. On humid days you will need to empty the reservoir which is super low to the ground and can be a real PITA. Overall, it works as advertised for a decent price, but if you're willing to spend more for convenience I'd shop around.

patndave

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patndave
MalibuSky wrote:Does anyone know how long the exhaust hose is?

Physical:

Duct Length: 59"

MalibuSky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MalibuSky
limejuice84 wrote:yup! its about 5 feet long when fully extended, maybe a little longer. However, because of the way it attatches to the unit you lose about a foot of length.

Thanks Limejuice84---Purchased!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of additional info over at sharpusa.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) over at costco.com

AngryYak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AngryYak

I bought one of these recently from here, it works very well.

If you read all the reviews online, they are pretty underwhelming, but they were written about a unit that, to the authors of the reviews, cost $500+

It's not nearly worth that, but for less than half the price? It's fantastic! Much better and more convenient than the comparably priced window unit I replaced with it (cooling a converted attic room that is otherwise always too warm in the summer).

Many reviews mention draining it, and I have not had to yet, despite near constant rainy (thus humid) weather here, but it also has not been warm enough to run the unit at max power yet either. It does look inconvenient to drain if it does need it though.

Also, it is very heavy and not quite as portable as it seems it would be, it does require fixing the hose to a plate that fits in a window and screws to the window frame. Much easier than a window unit, but still not something you can drag with you from room to room easily.

I like it, and if you need something like this it's a good deal at this price.

hdtvcamera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hdtvcamera

Holy Cow! It weighs 88 lbs!

studmuffin02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages studmuffin02

Does anyone know what the thermostat range is on this? And does it have an always on setting that keeps the AC on no matter the temperature?

kerflampatree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerflampatree

Does anyone know what size windows the window unit fits?

dimend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dimend

I bought this last time and have made 3 calls to Sharp, its pretty much useless cooling. AC is 65 degrees. My friend has a similar unit, not sharp, and air is 40 degrees coming out. Also had a broken caster when it came. It weights 87 lbs and had to get a friend to take it upstairs for me, and now they want me to haul it to a service center 20 miles because its portable!! I will be making a complaint to WOOT and my credit card if they do not come here and fix it. NOT HAPPY!

jshagam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jshagam

Wellp, this is one of those moments of serendipity; last time I waffled about it all day thinking, "Nah, I'll never need that in Seattle," and then it got pretty hot, and just today I was thinking, "I should buy an air conditioner. I hope they post that one again on Woot."

so what I'm saying is: YOU'RE WELCOME

shamcy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shamcy

It is $29.6 cheaper on eBay (if you factor in the eBay Bucks rebate) and from an established seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-CV2P10SC-10-500-BTU-Home-Electric-Portable-Air-Conditioner-AC-w-Remote-/390550911973?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item5aeea5fbe5

ammo82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ammo82
shamcy wrote:It is $29.6 cheaper on eBay (if you factor in the eBay Bucks rebate) and from an established seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-CV2P10SC-10-500-BTU-Home-Electric-Portable-Air-Conditioner-AC-w-Remote-/390550911973?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item5aeea5fbe5

I see that it's cheaper and with a 90 day warranty. Does anyone know what the one year warranty from Woot is about. I want to punch but curious about the woot warranty

WEST403

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WEST403

I have the hose bracket mounted in a window that is 36" high and slides sideways. I put AC silver tape on it, some rubber stuff to seal it up and a piece of PCV pipe to keep the window from opening any more. It is about 6" wide. I is in Dallas and cools my bedroom at nite (wife complaines it is cold but it is not really)I monitor the room temp and it stays around 75. I set main AC temp to 84 so it does not run at nite and this has been quite the money saver. I did put it on 2x4 blocks to make it easier to drain. I like it, got it from WOOT last year

galapogos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galapogos
kerflampatree wrote:Does anyone know what size windows the window unit fits?

I have a huge sliding window so I looked into this in the product manual under "Sliding Sash Window Installation". The plastic window piece requires a minimum window height of 21.3" and a maximum height of 70.9" when using the included extension.

70.9" is enormous so I feel safe that it will work in my sliding window without being able to measure it from work. I think I'm pulling the trigger on this unit due to the low price, reputable brand, and feature-filled remote.

jetedel94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jetedel94

Just a couple thoughts on portable A/C units in general... They are severely inefficient units. If you can get a window shaker to fit, do it. The potable A/C sends the hot air it removes out duct. The duct gets extremely hot, sending a lot of the hot air back into the room. So the A/C is fighting itself. Secondly, if a portable unit is the ONLY way you can get A/C, be sure you'll be able to route the duct with no 90 turns up/down or sideways. The bends need to be gradual, about 45 degrees, or the fan can not push the hot air out through the duct. This sounds like a no-brainer until you realize how far the unit needs to be from the window to prevent the 90 degree bends. It can be inconvenient to have the unit that far into the room, depending on your situation.

k1oik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k1oik

Notice Woot rarely sells out anymore, because prices are no big deal. I bought a new one for the same price and this is the second time this has been up

http://k1oik.freehostia.com/students/

alpha103apples4147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpha103apples4147
afruzzetti wrote:I have two of these things, both from Woot. They do the job of cooling a bedroom or office, but probably not a larger space. They are a single hose unit which is less ideal than the dual-hose types (of which I have one). They are notorious for their weak casters, which many people have noted in past reviews. One of mine has a wonky caster, which just makes it more difficult to move, but does not impede performance. On humid days you will need to empty the reservoir which is super low to the ground and can be a real PITA. Overall, it works as advertised for a decent price, but if you're willing to spend more for convenience I'd shop around.

alpha103apples4147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alpha103apples4147
alpha103apples4147 wrote:

Does this thing have to be drained or does it use water to cool and or recycle it. If it has tone drained is there a removal Pam
I've heard good and bad about these units and sort of apprehensive. I only want it to supplement the hot part of my house that is last stop on the AC train and gets less air flow. With the hit exhaust hose it seems as if the unit is fighting itself
I'll have to think more about this one

gemchick82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gemchick82

Really woot? I got my eye on you and I don't believe in coincidental occurrences. My portable air conditioner I bought two years ago from a box store died last night at 2330 and then you post this at 0100. I'm watching you and I'm in for one. :-)

m021302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m021302

I've had one of these for about 2 years now. I bought it as a backup for moving overseas with my job. The exhaust hose can be frustrating, but I've purchased a longer hose and had no problems adapting it to the machine. It will take a few min of work, but worth it. The hose I bought, vented properly, aka out a window keeps the room reasonably cool. I agree with the comments a window unit is better, but some roomsand windows...especially in brazil, don't accept window units. If you go the route of buying an extended vent hose, about 10-12 feet is the max the vent fan can handle and still work well. Hope it helps

pelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pelle
studmuffin02 wrote:Does anyone know what the thermostat range is on this? And does it have an always on setting that keeps the AC on no matter the temperature?

I've had this AC for over one year in hot ATlanta. Temp can be selected from 64-86 degrees. I have yet to need to empty the reservoir. Yes it is a pain if you need to but unless you run it at MAX in humid weather all the time you won't likely need to. I've used it to supplement my upstairs AC. It will run continuously if you have it set to MAX AC, that is until the reservoir tank fills up and you have to drain it or it reaches 64 degrees. You can NOT set the fan run continuously in AC setting. I Would buy it again., Big, Heavy, but quiet and not really portable as others mentioned. Install it and leave it until you don't need it.

pelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pelle
alpha103apples4147 wrote:Does this thing have to be drained or does it use water to cool and or recycle it. If it has tone drained is there a removal Pam
I've heard good and bad about these units and sort of apprehensive. I only want it to supplement the hot part of my house that is last stop on the AC train and gets less air flow. With the hit exhaust hose it seems as if the unit is fighting itself
I'll have to think more about this one

As a supplement it works great. I have it upstairs to solve the same issue you have. It does use the condensation water to increase cooling of the unit but does not add this to the cooled air. I wrapped the hot ac vent hose with a thin blanket and string to solve the hot vent hose problem. NO removable pan. only a drain plug one inch above the floor. You may also consider a register vent booster fan instead of an additional AC to force more air through the duct in the hotter room. Costs much less to buy and operate.

jbrandii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrandii

I bought one a bit more than a year ago from woot and am happy with it. It is kinda a backup unit for me, so not really heavy use. The kit seems like it would fit most any sash window. It is noticeably better if you insulate the hose with a towel or some actual insulation so it does not radiate back into the room. I rigged up a drain so I would not have to empty it. Not hard - just a pain. The unit is big, and heavy, although it rolls around just fine. Has a few other features - dehumidifier and the like. I would recommend it.

strandedinvegas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages strandedinvegas

With these units you must know that the exhaust hose radiates a lot of heat.. be prepared to wrap it loosely with some sort of insulation, otherwise it will be a wash.

Ron Larson

cdogg777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdogg777

Ive used this for one season. It was $224 on a woot-off about a year ago. It does the job, but I am only cooling a small room. I do not notice yet that the exhaust hose gets too hot to counter act the cooling it's doing, i didn't do anything but plug it in and hook it up and it works fine. My only complain is that one of the wheels was shipped broken. So it was a bit difficult to move the thing around. I will know more after this season if it ever gets hot again.

MightyBoognish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MightyBoognish

Does anyone know where (what city/state) this unit ships from?

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Hate to do this to you Woot but you need to lower your price if you want to protect your fading fast reputation! With tax and shipping your price is about $40 more than the competition.

Refurbished Sharp 10,500-BTU Portable Air Conditioner for $230 + free shipping
VM Innovations via eBay offers the refurbished Sharp 10,500-BTU Portable Air Conditioning Unit, model no. CV2P10SC, for $229.99 with free shipping. That's tied with last week's refurb mention and $190 under the lowest total price we could find for a similar refurbished unit elsewhere. This A/C features three cool settings, three fan speeds, 12-hour timer, remote control, 4-way air flow, and washable filter. Deal ends June 26 at 9:20 pm ET.
Per dealnews, ebay item 390550911973. Very reputable seller with almost 70,000 feedback rating over 99% positive.

jflanag3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jflanag3

I bought one several weeks ago when it was on Woot. It works great - no problems. However, about every other week, the water tank needs to be emptied. That means rolling the whole unit into the bathroom, lifting the 80lb thing into the bathtub & opening the plug. You can't do it any other way because the plug is at the absolute bottom of the unit & you can't get a bucket under it.

Other than that (and getting the 80lb unit up to my 3rd floor walk-up), it's amazing.

timkarp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timkarp

The reviews online are TERRIBLE!!!! Make sure you do your reasearch if buying.

brum22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brum22

Bought one of these from w00t a month ago. I use it only to cool a small 115 sq ft bedroom. The unit is probably to big for such a small room but it does the job very well. Kicks on and off at night too often (wakes up wife but not me). The sleep mode is helpful to keep the temperature just right while you sleep so that it does not get too cold.

If you can install a window A/C do yourself a favor and buy a window A/C. Window A/C are cheaper and more efficient. My landlord said no to the window A/C however so this was my solution and it works well. My wife likes it because she can still open up the windows and get air to flow through.

This unit is moderately "portable". I wheel it from office in the day to bedroom at night. rolls easy on wood floors and short carpet. Long fluffy carpet is a pain to move this. Don't expect to move it up and down stairs. It is near 100 lbs. The main issue with portability is the window fitting is not "portable". once you install the window fitting its pretty much stuck there. The trick is to buy 1/4" plywood (or plexi glass) and make your own window installation. I was able to do it fairly easily so I can simply unplug the unit and wheel it to the next room without much hassle.

To knock on the negative reviews. It is only a single hose but you could easily buy a second hose and created a dual hose unit. I live in a very dry climate but I have yet to drain the unit in over a month of use. It is designed to evaporate the water out the hose so in theory it should not need draining.

compcond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages compcond

Keep in mind that this is a single hose unit. That means to exhaust the hot air from the condenser it has to suck hot air in from outside somewhere else in the home to make up for it. Worse, it's sucking up the newly cooled air to do it and then blowing it outside. It works but is hugely inefficient.

Other than that it's reliable and relatively quiet.

bjbranch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjbranch
galapogos wrote:I have a huge sliding window so I looked into this in the product manual under "Sliding Sash Window Installation". The plastic window piece requires a minimum window height of 21.3" and a maximum height of 70.9" when using the included extension.

70.9" is enormous so I feel safe that it will work in my sliding window without being able to measure it from work. I think I'm pulling the trigger on this unit due to the low price, reputable brand, and feature-filled remote.

It should fit a great dane dog door.

TCayer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer

I had a different brand of similar AC, the moisture pan filled up VERY fast, and if you don't empty it, it overflows on your floors. I learned the hard way, ruining my hardwood floor. I ended up using it in a bedroom, placed on a dresser, with a hose attached to the drain, draining out the window. If you're not around to empty that pan every hour or so, beware. I have read about units that supposedly don't need draining, but have no experience with them (or this brand, for that matter...)

mariefreiberger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariefreiberger

We own one of these and last year when we hit 105, we happened to be having a party that day! We brought the A/C downstairs and put it in a 30'X42' room. With 30 people here, it kept the room 20 degrees cooler then outside. Still warm but wow 20 degrees!