Wolffhardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wolffhardt
Earl Wajdyk wrote:I agree 100%! I've had a Lenovo 10.1 inch with Android for about a year now, and I love it! I simply cannot understand why people are willing to pay the outrageous prices for IPads. Is it ignorance, or :Prestige"? I spent $250.00, and it's like having another computer. I have a couple of 16mb memory cards that I fill with books, music, photos and movies, and am never bored for a minute when I travel.

It's neither, it's called preference.

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill
bmrbill wrote:I still love my Sony Tablet S that I bought right here from woot!

I love mine also, but it keeps randomly shutting off when I am not using it. Weird? Still, the iPad looks like a pretty good deal. But all that said, I love the new commercial for the W8 Asus VivoTab Smart Tablet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWU0M1VFecc

Wolffhardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wolffhardt
Woody1 wrote:Working for a carrier which sells almost every tablet imaginable and being in IT, delivery MEAP and building API's; I can tell you my love of Apple and iTunes has never waivered - HATE THEM! Over-priced and too restrictive but that's what makes them good for the masses that have no business being able to do anything but point, touch and be a lemming. Glad Apple is dying on the vine and I will raise a toast to the eventual demise of apple. It may not happen in my generation but the Millennials are getting smarter as apples coolness is dropping like the integrity of IRS, NSA and the Whitehouse.

You mean for no one that has any business doing anything except what 99% of America buys a tablet for?

Yeah, that's a pretty good business model if you ask me.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143
traquy wrote:That's great if you want the smaller screen, but I might buy 2 of the 32g here for a classroom/therapy setting. The small screens don't work for that. We have the 64g and it's fabulous. I like the bigger screen.

I was scared about sacrificing my screen size before buying the mini and I have to say that it was all for nothing. I absolutely love my mini and the screen takes up more space than you think - its better in my opinion to the bulky ipad. I could never go back now.

ashli143

morriea wrote:using that logic, save your money and buy an iPod.

I have both. iPad mini > iPod

Also, I've had an iPad and sold it because iPad mini > iPad.

It is lighter, more convenient and less bulky.

joshshaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshshaman
morriea wrote:Refurbished by Apple gives a 1-year warranty, so no.

Not Apple refurb, which means a lot to me. Apple has gone the extra mile for me on service.

for the 32GB, save 75ish bucks (tax), but lose 9 months of warranty...

ashli143

Woody1 wrote:Working for a carrier which sells almost every tablet imaginable and being in IT, delivery MEAP and building API's; I can tell you my love of Apple and iTunes has never waivered - HATE THEM! Over-priced and too restrictive but that's what makes them good for the masses that have no business being able to do anything but point, touch and be a lemming. Glad Apple is dying on the vine and I will raise a toast to the eventual demise of apple. It may not happen in my generation but the Millennials are getting smarter as apples coolness is dropping like the integrity of IRS, NSA and the Whitehouse.

I have an android tablet and I have an iPad. First, stop the superior tone of how only Curlys (woot changes the word, it's i*d*i*o*t*s) like Apple (you didn't come right out and say it but you were definitely hinting towards it). They are both great. When I get bored of my iPad I play with my android and vice versa. I didn't buy an iPad to be cool, I bought it because the apps are better and over all the apps which run in iOS versus JellyBean are smoother. Yes, I understand that its because Andriod has 1000+ devices (dramatization) but I honestly don't care. When I want to be technical I play with the Android, when I want to just have fun I play with the iPad.
BAA-AA-AA-AAAAA - I don't care if you call me a sheep.

mdickinson

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mdickinson

One thing I find people often don't realize is that this model of iPad DOES NOT HAVE A GPS in it.

I have an ipad 2 and it works great. The one on sale here is similar to mine (its processor is faster and its screen has higher resolution).

However, I would not buy the one for sale here, because it does not include an internal GPS.

That might not be a deal-breaker for everyone, but many of my favorite uses for my iPad make use of its internal GPS (driving directions apps like Waze, cheap-gas-station-finder apps, aviation apps, star-finder apps, Yelp, Google Maps, Apple maps, etc.).

If you want an iPad that knows where it is at all times, and can show your position on maps and stuff, you need one that contains a GPS, so don't buy this one.

More details, for those who want them
All iPads are either "3G" or "WiFi only." The difference is that the "3G" models have an additional chip in them that allows them to connect to cellular data (verizon, AT&T, etc.) so that they are always on line even when you are on the go (like a smartphone).

Only iPads that have "3G" (cellular data) capability have an internal GPS. This is because the GPS and the cellular data receiver are located on the same chip - the chip that is left out of the "WiFi only" versions like this one.

The "3G" models do not require that you subscribe to a cellular data service. Mine, for instance, is a Verizon 3G ipad, but I don't subscribe to Verizon cellular data (except when I go away on vacation - then I sign up for a month of data for $20. Easy to turn on just for one month.)

So although this model is a good deal, it does not contain a GPS and therefore will not be able to do the cool location-referencing stuff that all smartphones, and GPS-enabled iPads, can do.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 882001

My iPhone 5 with my ipad mini plus Apple TV and my airport express's my house is integrated with all airplay. And it is awesome! Every android lover comes over and is like can my android do that? I laugh and say no. Hate apple. That's pretty Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!! Then I get the apple products are made in china.. Where in the states was that Samsung made?

sracer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sracer
Earl Wajdyk wrote:I agree 100%! I've had a Lenovo 10.1 inch with Android for about a year now, and I love it! I simply cannot understand why people are willing to pay the outrageous prices for IPads. Is it ignorance, or :Prestige"? I spent $250.00, and it's like having another computer. I have a couple of 16mb memory cards that I fill with books, music, photos and movies, and am never bored for a minute when I travel.

If you simply can't understand the difference between that Lenovo Android tablet and an iPad, then you did yourself a favor by purchasing the cheaper product.

But for those of us who DO know the differences, and where those differences will impact how we use our devices, we ended up seeing that the iPad was worth the extra cost.

And it has nothing to do with ignorance or prestige (for those who are concerned about the differences).

If battery life, performance, and quality of available applications are an important priority, then the iPad is preferable.

I have an iPad, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung GTab 2 7.0, and a wide assortment of other Android-based devices and battery life is an issue that is universal to those devices. (as well as the other issues).

Android tablets are still useful but they offer a different experience and different set of challenges than iPads.

I much prefer the openness of Android, but until those other elements are addressed, iPads will still be a better fit for how I use tablets.

donjuevas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donjuevas
882001 wrote:My iPhone 5 with my ipad mini plus Apple TV and my airport express's my house is integrated with all airplay. And it is awesome! Every android lover comes over and is like can my android do that? I laugh and say no. Hate apple. That's pretty Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!! Then I get the apple products are made in china.. Where in the states was that Samsung made?

Really? I have a Motorla Defy from 2010 than will stream directly to my Samsung and Vizio Wifi TVs. No need for Airplay.

DLNA is certified acrossed thousands of devices as a standard. Just not on apple devices where you have to get an app. Airplay and Airsync are only for apple, and to work on android you need an app.

There are 9000 DLNA certified products.

So my HP Touchpad, Motorola Defy, Samsung Galaxy 2, Lenovo Thinkpad, all sync and stream directly to my tvs if need be, or via a DLNA server. No extra equiplent needed.

DLNA is a standard that everyone is a part of except apple.

As usual an Apple user who is non techy, thinks he is techy, and either is ignorant of the facts, history, or just makes shite up.

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
DaZoneRanger wrote:This is true, as I remember the iPad 2 that I am using right now was released on May 5.

The ipad 2 to me is still the best bang for your buck tablet there is. I love mine and have thought about selling it to upgrade, but have no need to do so.

but an ipad 3 32g for this price is a great deal, I know ipad 2 16 GB's are 319 on apple refurbed

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt

I don't get why whatever you like or need, is what everyone else should like or need.

I sold my android tablet because I hated it, I love my iPad, love my note 2 so I have no bias.

enjoy your product and let people buy whatever they want

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

'not sure how long this post will survive, but for you iPad mini small screen lovers, here's a great price:

Newegg Apple Mini 64GB, wifi $520, free shipping (vs. MSRP $599) Today only!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858753137

NukieFreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NukieFreak
nutrageous wrote:I've had three Android tabs, up to ICS, including Cyanogenmodding the HP TouchPad, so I can't speak about the Jellybean Androids. I love the battery life on the iPad. I don't have to go to airplane mode to save power, turn off the telephone radio, it holds a charge for days and days. If I don't leave the Androids in the charger, they are always dead when I pick one up. The iPad might be down to 60 or 70%, still ready to go and instantly on.

I can do everything on the Android, including databases and language apps, but it feels like a workaround. Like Cyanogenmodding. "Gosh I'm clever for making this work" but I don't have to work to make the iPad work. It just does.

So you bought a non Android tablet and put a different operating system on it and complain that you had to work for it. You could go buy any Android tablet and guess what? It just works. You don't need to work because you would have bought something for it's intended purpose. Weird concept.

NukieFreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NukieFreak
sracer wrote:If you simply can't understand the difference between that Lenovo Android tablet and an iPad, then you did yourself a favor by purchasing the cheaper product.

But for those of us who DO know the differences, and where those differences will impact how we use our devices, we ended up seeing that the iPad was worth the extra cost.

And it has nothing to do with ignorance or prestige (for those who are concerned about the differences).

If battery life, performance, and quality of available applications are an important priority, then the iPad is preferable.

I have an iPad, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung GTab 2 7.0, and a wide assortment of other Android-based devices and battery life is an issue that is universal to those devices. (as well as the other issues).

Android tablets are still useful but they offer a different experience and different set of challenges than iPads.

I much prefer the openness of Android, but until those other elements are addressed, iPads will still be a better fit for how I use tablets.

Odd, my Galaxy S3 had great battery life and my new S4 does even better. I also have a Nook HD+ that so far (only had it a few weeks without much use) gets great battery life.

bluemaple

NukieFreak wrote:So you bought a non Android tablet and put a different operating system on it and complain that you had to work for it. You could go buy any Android tablet and guess what? It just works. You don't need to work because you would have bought something for it's intended purpose. Weird concept.

Please. Stop. Go with the OS that works best for you.

We have devices running each of the OS's thru their latest versions. They both have their advantages.

Try both for more than 10 minutes and chances are you'll gel with one or the other.

princessdebster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages princessdebster
jamesclaflin wrote:There is no denying that iOS is a nearly flawless operating system and the app store is hard to compete with. But i made my switch from iOS to android earlier this year because of the increasingly better and better google play store (and of course better price and better customization)and i can honestly say the only app for me that they didnt have was vine but it just got released into the google play store. The google play store is verrrry competitive to the app store now. I LOVE my android 10" tablet.
This right here is 400 bucks, refurbished, and at that not even refurbished by apple! You could do sooooo much better price wise if you're willing to try android.
But even then, personally even if they were the same price id still prefer an andriod. One thing that im now addicted to that will make it impossible to go back to iOS is expandle memory. Back in my iOS days, memory was anal and you had to be so careful about it! But now its so nice and casual. I threw in a 16 GB SD card that i got for 20 bucks and have all of my music and few videos on it, and it blends seamlessly with the OS. When i go into my music and gallery apps there is no differentiation between things on the sd card and not, its awesome. And then of course the amount of tinkering and custimization is a blast for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

Well now I want to know what you have been using instead of the ipad?

DB

afwalton

quality posts: 8 Private Messages afwalton
mdickinson wrote:One thing I find people often don't realize is that this model of iPad DOES NOT HAVE A GPS in it.

I have an ipad 2 and it works great. The one on sale here is similar to mine (its processor is faster and its screen has higher resolution).

However, I would not buy the one for sale here, because it does not include an internal GPS.

That might not be a deal-breaker for everyone, but many of my favorite uses for my iPad make use of its internal GPS (driving directions apps like Waze, cheap-gas-station-finder apps, aviation apps, star-finder apps, Yelp, Google Maps, Apple maps, etc.).

All the apps you list also use data on the go, so it sounds like you'd need 3G/4G with or without the GPS issue.

If you tether the iPad to an iPhone, it takes its location data from the phone. I don't know if that uses some industry standard or if it's an Apple-only thing. I'm on my second Wi-Fi only iPad (a first-gen, now a Mini) because tethering to the phone is less expensive than having a separate data plan.

bluemaple

afwalton wrote:All the apps you list also use data on the go, so it sounds like you'd need 3G/4G with or without the GPS issue.

If you tether the iPad to an iPhone, it takes its location data from the phone. I don't know if that uses some industry standard or if it's an Apple-only thing. I'm on my second Wi-Fi only iPad (a first-gen, now a Mini) because tethering to the phone is less expensive than having a separate data plan.

@afwalton, theoretically (don't have actual examples) a NAV app that can download maps could use GPS without a live data connection.

RE, tethering, if you're in a legacy phone data plan you don't want to give up that can prevent you from tethering.

Also, with AT&T, if you only occasionally need the cellular data connection on your iPad, you can turn it on and off. The cool thing - if you let your turned off account expire (3 months), when it comes time to turn it on for a vacation, the initial month is half price every time. ($7.50 or $15)

a3scott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a3scott
joshshaman wrote:Not Apple refurb, which means a lot to me. Apple has gone the extra mile for me on service.

for the 32GB, save 75ish bucks (tax), but lose 9 months of warranty...

Can you still buy Applecare?

bmwilt2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmwilt2

I am so pissed at Woot. Friday (6/7) I ordered an Apple 32GB iPad 3 for my wife's birthday. I got the confirmation email - Yeah!!! I kept checking my account "Stuff You Bought" and it wouldn't show up. So the next day I sent and email asking about the status. Got a reply Monday, some crap about due to security my order did not go through. Well if that's the case why send the confirmation email??? Why didn't someone call me from woot to get things worked out??? Why not at least an email notifying me of the trouble??? Now it's Monday and now I'm rushing around trying to find my wife a present. Woot blows!

On Jun 10, 2013, at 12:53 PM, "Support" wrote:

Hello bmwilt2,
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.
We checked into this and it looks like our automated security checks didn't let this purchase go through. This sucks for both of us, as you'd clearly like this product and we'd clearly like your money.
We have to err on the side of caution here since we need to protect our customers, but sometimes totally legitimate orders get caught in the checks. Unfortunately, in this case there's nothing you or we can do to get this particular order through.

Again, that's crappy news, but we hope you understand where we're coming from in keeping the security of our customers our top priority here.

Woot Member Services,
Da.....

laicha92

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laicha92

Did anyone's order ship yet?

jonnymenudo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonnymenudo

Received my order yesterday (pretty fast shipping). However, the iPad was not "refurbished" at all, it was simply still broken. There is a vertical line going down the entire screen along the right hand side and neither the sound off or volume buttons work. Not only do the buttons not work, but when pressed they go berserk and the volume will go up then down then turn off etc. I'm very disappointed, the thing can't be used at all.

bmwilt2

WOW!! Now I'm glad my order was canceled (see 2 blog entries above). More reason NOT to use woot any more.
Sorry that you got a pad in such bad condition. Hopefully they will get you another one or at least refund you.

jonnymenudo wrote:Received my order yesterday (pretty fast shipping). However, the iPad was not "refurbished" at all, it was simply still broken. There is a vertical line going down the entire screen along the right hand side and neither the sound off or volume buttons work. Not only do the buttons not work, but when pressed they go berserk and the volume will go up then down then turn off etc. I'm very disappointed, the thing can't be used at all.

bmwilt2

Ha!! My refurbished iPad 3 that I ended up ordering from Apple (because of the woot.com screw up - see a few posts above) came in just now. I ordered it Monday & it got here today - that's fast! It's not the 32GB - only 16 but for only $2.00 more than woots offer and being an Apple refurb I'm assured a 1 year warranty, new battery, new back(case), and eligible for Apple care. It's gorgeous!

jonnymenudo wrote:Received my order yesterday (pretty fast shipping). However, the iPad was not "refurbished" at all, it was simply still broken. There is a vertical line going down the entire screen along the right hand side and neither the sound off or volume buttons work. Not only do the buttons not work, but when pressed they go berserk and the volume will go up then down then turn off etc. I'm very disappointed, the thing can't be used at all.

theoak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theoak

Just received my iPad! At first I feared it would not arrive before I left to go on vacation. (Woot's tracking seemed to indicate it had not even shipped yesterday morning, but I guess it did ship.)

It is in a factory box, just like it came from Apple. It looks and works like new. Not a scratch or defect that I can find. I have already updated the OS to 6.1.3, installed a few apps, and all is well. Happy camper here!!

Thanks Woot! I could never have afforded a 64 GB iPad 3 straight from Apple!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

theoak wrote:Just received my iPad! At first I feared it would not arrive before I left to go on vacation. (Woot's tracking seemed to indicate it had not even shipped yesterday morning, but I guess it did ship.)

It is in a factory box, just like it came from Apple. It looks and works like new. Not a scratch or defect that I can find. I have already updated the OS to 6.1.3, installed a few apps, and all is well. Happy camper here!!

Thanks Woot! I could never have afforded a 64 GB iPad 3 straight from Apple!

Glad you got it and all is well. This was a drop ship and we have to get the tracking from the vendor. Some are a little faster at sending the file than others. //heavy sigh

Customer Service: Use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders