WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Phil Keoghan's No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bars

In case you forgot, Phil Keoghan was on The Amazing Race. See? SEE? It's not just some Hollywood extra from The Golden Girls hawking snake oil. This guy DID something!
No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar official site

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

Anyone have experience with these? Curious how they taste? Yes I know that is a pretty subjective thing, but its good to get input.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

redlyn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redlyn

Are these made in the USA?

thenativesarerestless

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thenativesarerestless

if you get them -
eat 'em up fast...

"Expires: 8/29/13"

eta: i got some anyway ; )

videogrinch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages videogrinch

"Tumeric" What is that? I think you mean Turmeric. Proofread!

[MOD: Thanks. Reported.]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

redlyn wrote:Are these made in the USA?

Yes, they are made in the USA. They do contain New Zealand Manuka Honey.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

16g of sugar per bar. That's kind of...a lot.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

At 45g, it's a small bar. You're not grabbing this bar quickly instead of lunch.

And with 16g sugars and 1g protein.... there's really not much to it. You'd be just as well eating one slice of quality whole grain bread.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57

The wrapper says it's "loaded with chia seeds"....

Who woulda known I could've eaten my daughter's chia pet and improved my well-being?

golf22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages golf22

4:1 carb to protein ratio???? 32g of carbs,1g of protein. maybe im missing something???

ThunderThighs

Staff

golf22 wrote:4:1 carb to protein ratio???? 32g of carbs,1g of protein. maybe im missing something???

Must be new math. It's straight from Phil's site though.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

willleah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages willleah

1g of protein and at least half of the carbs are straight up sugar.
no thanks.
I wouldn't give this to my team, and they are a bunch of young 20's that are burning 5-6k cal a day.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
firebirdude wrote:And with 16g sugars and 1g protein.... there's really not much to it. You'd be just as well eating one slice of quality whole grain bread.

I really don't understand why so many "nutrition/energy bars" have almost no protein and so much sugar. You might as well eat a candy bar, at least it will taste better.

I think I'll stick with my luna bars and a glass of milk.

Still single, can't imagine why.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
ThunderThighs wrote:Must be new math. It's straight from Phil's site though.

Still isn't fixed.

Still single, can't imagine why.

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
FenStar wrote:I really don't understand why so many "nutrition/energy bars" have almost no protein and so much sugar. You might as well eat a candy bar, at least it will taste better.

I think I'll stick with my luna bars and a glass of milk.

It's just because carbs=energy. Healthy or not. If they could still market candy as a source of quick energy they would.

That being said, these taste pretty good and could be worse for you than they are. Oddly, I've never seen any that weren't short-dated (including these).

awilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awilder

Xanthan Gum is not an "all-natural" ingredient, thankyouverymuch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum

fralexandr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fralexandr
awilder wrote:Xanthan Gum is not an "all-natural" ingredient, thankyouverymuch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum

wikipedia says it's a fermentation byproduct? sort of like how beer, yogurt, or kimchi are made. It might not normally be found in some of the other ingredients, but that doesn't make it any less "natural"

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
fralexandr wrote:wikipedia says it's a fermentation byproduct? sort of like how beer, yogurt, or kimchi are made. It might not normally be found in some of the other ingredients, but that doesn't make it any less "natural"

But it has an "X" in the name!!!

cmcknett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmcknett

Phil wasn't ON The Amazing Race. He is HOST of The Amazing Race.

juror58

quality posts: 2 Private Messages juror58

As written the headline says:
"Phil Keoghan's No Opportunity"
"Wasted Energy Bars"

When I first read that I thought, "Why would I want 'wasted energy' bars? Or is it that eating them is wasted energy?"

Anyway, I'm probably in for one, but the copywriters and editors need a swift kick where they sit.

ThunderThighs

Staff

juror58 wrote:As written the headline says:
"Phil Keoghan's No Opportunity"
"Wasted Energy Bars"

When I first read that I thought, "Why would I want 'wasted energy' bars? Or is it that eating them is wasted energy?"

Anyway, I'm probably in for one, but the copywriters and editors need a swift kick where they sit.

ROFL. Crappy word wrapping, for sure.

throgmar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages throgmar

Wow. Another sugar bar. I guess if you put a bunch of crap no one's ever heard of in it, it sounds exotic.

Then there's that gram of protein... I wonder where they put it. Is that in the wrapper?

Snickers are cheaper and better for "energy" and protein.

Overlord Throgmar the Librarian has spoken.

willleah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages willleah
throgmar wrote:Wow. Another sugar bar. I guess if you put a bunch of crap no one's ever heard of in it, it sounds exotic.

Then there's that gram of protein... I wonder where they put it. Is that in the wrapper?

Snickers are cheaper and better for "energy" and protein.

P-nut M&Ms as well

PoodleGravy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PoodleGravy

Looking closely at the ingredients list these appear to be quality bars with no GMO's, Soy or other baddies.

Thanks Woot!

blinkylights

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blinkylights

Wow...Fast shipping! I tried one of the Honey Newtons today and it was decent if not life changing.

It didn't taste heavily processed like a fig newton or all dusty dry like a faux fig newton. The honey shone through--it was sweet but not overly sweet.

idz21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idz21

Is the New Zealand Manuka honey made in China?

mike74511

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike74511

I just got a sample of their pineapple brown rice krispy treat... AMAZING! Wish those were for sale.

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

Well, I came on here because I wanted to discuss how awful these seem in every way possible, but everyone else beat me to it. Looking at the ingredients and nutrients, someone mentioned its like eating a piece of bread and thats 100% correct. Nothing of value in this bar whatsoever. I felt like I was reading a Pepsi label w all the s*** numbers.

jmac1986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmac1986

I got a 9 pack instead of 12, did anyone else?

ThunderThighs

Staff

jmac1986 wrote:I got a 9 pack instead of 12, did anyone else?

Hmmmm. Email support@woot.com so they can look to see if you're due another shipping box or something.

briandegnan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briandegnan
ThunderThighs wrote:Hmmmm. Email support@woot.com so they can look to see if you're due another shipping box or something.

I got 9 vs 12 as well. I am the true sucker since I bought 6 boxes (3 bar loss per box x 6 boxes = total loss of 18 bar - aka 2 9-ct boxes). Will be contacting support@woot.com as well.

sheryl1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheryl1953

I ordered 2 boxes of 12 bars. My order came today with 2 boxes of only 9 bars. How come?

glutenfreeproteinbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glutenfreeproteinbar
golf22 wrote:4:1 carb to protein ratio???? 32g of carbs,1g of protein. maybe im missing something???

The 4:1 carb to protein ratio is for the regular No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar. The one discussed here is the Manuka Newton, which is not an energy, but a snack bar.

glutenfreeproteinbar

redlyn wrote:Are these made in the USA?

Yes

glutenfreeproteinbar

sheryl1953 wrote:I ordered 2 boxes of 12 bars. My order came today with 2 boxes of only 9 bars. How come?

The No Opportunity Wasted Manuka Newtons come in a 9/box. The No Opportunity Wasted Energy Bar comes in a 12/box. You guys ordered Newtons, but are discussing the Energy bar. Check out www.glutenfreeproteinbarreviews.com for info about the regular size bar with more than 1g of Protein.