WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Even if you and/or your child aren't out of school yet, face it: it's summer. Today Scott's paying tribute to the hottest month of the year with five summery songs! What's the first one, you ask? A fine question. Let's answer it.

The Cars - Magic

Any song that starts with the words "Summer, summer, summer!" is clearly marketed for sittin' on the beach. It'll be no surprise, The Cars were masters of good pop music, but also close friends. How close? When bass player Benjamin Orr died, the other band members played his bass on the next record because they didn't want to bring in an outsider to take his place. Not many bands are that close, or that talented.

More summer fun coming up inside. See you after the jump.

As always, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Jazz because nothing keeps you cool like jazz! But before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday.

k.d. lang - Summerfling

That sweet feeling of waking up with nothing to and a beautiful day to not do it in. Could be a vacation, could be a day off, could just be a plain ol' day with someone you care about. All you know is that you're happy and it's summer and there's no point in thinking about what might happen a month from now. Who cares? That's fall! Fall's way in the future!

The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walking In The Sand)

That's not to say a summer is totally without heartbreak. After all, those summer nights can be pretty chilly. But even if the heartbreak's more intense, it's still just part of the summer experience. Summer storms make summer sun more beautiful. And anyway, it'll be warm again tomorrow.

Stevie Wonder - Summer Soft

Maybe this is a song about heartbreak, but it doesn't sound like a song about heartbreak, does it? You could blast this on your car stereo while driving to the beach house and not feel anything but joy. That's the magic of Stevie Wonder… and summer.

The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City

Good, bad, happy, sad, joyful, dangerous, it's all there in this song. The long hot days and the just-cool-enough nights. Summer's like a different world, and a lot of things can be forgiven with ease. Go out and celebrate summer! And post your own songs in the comments below!

If you get bored, you're welcome to come and cool off with our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"Summer Nights" from Grease
"The Boys of Summer" by Don Henley
"Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly and the Family Stone
"Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

idahopotatohead

quality posts: 3 Private Messages idahopotatohead

Pretty much any Beach Boys or Jan and Dean song.

Also, Schools Out For Summer by Alice Cooper will always have a special summertime place in my heart.

mossygreen

quality posts: 75 Private Messages mossygreen

Apparently EMI has blocked XTC's "Summer's Cauldron" on youtube in the US? Go to hell, EMI, someone posted an early version:

"Grass" is apparently fine?

Traffic's "Paper Sun"

As it's not quite summer, let's sneak in a song off of The Wicker Man soundtrack!

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

How about the classic Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft?

cbrett42

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cbrett42

What, no Summer Girls by LFO? (a.k.a. the Abercrombie & Fitch song)

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Have a drink... Have a drive

Perhaps you don't have a job. nor do you have a sex quiz in your magazine either!

Or maybe it's just warm outside

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Porgy and Bess - Summertime
(Covered MULTIPLE times by Sublime)

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay and Margaritaville both have that "Summer Sun" feeling to them.

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars

Bananarama - "Cruel Summer"

The Motels - "Suddenly Last Summer"

War - "Summer"

Richard Marx - "Endless Summer Nights"

Like the Beach Boys, Van Halen has numerous tunes that ooze summertime. My favs are "Dance The Night Away" and:
Van Halen - "Beautiful Girls"

Ah, those summer tunes! Each one takes me back to the times when the song was getting a lot of radio play. Now, one from my childhood:

Nat King Cole - "Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer"

!
Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

Oh!

Oh, even more! It's so rare that a Wombles song is a) thematically appropriate and b) available on youtube! It's a little short on litter collecting, but it's possible that LA Wombles are less industrious than their European cousins.

I've never heard this song before, but it was a link on the Wombles song page [one man responsible for so much!], so I'm including it. The dancers' outfits just make me want to watch Nashville. Or Zardoz

I'm sure I'll be back later in the week with an armload of T. Rex.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

When it comes to summer music, I'm a fan of the languid liquid heat type melodies:

"Summer Rain," Smokey and Miho

"Mississippi Summer," June Tabor and the Oyster Band

"Summer's Thirst," Pretty Lights

"Summersong," The Decemberists

"Voila l'ete," Les Negresses Vertes (but the Acoustic Clubbing album version is much smoother, sparser, and sexier)

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Shonen Knife - Summertime Boogie - YouTube

Golden - Hot - YouTube From their album Golden Summer.

And if we're doing just plain fun songs, then what's funner than World War III? Fishbone - Party At Ground Zero - YouTube

mossygreen

Also: OK, it's about last summer, but it feels summery to me (summer of '86, I suppose, and a future that never was):

mossygreen

Uch, I have all these Algebra Suicide songs open in different tabs. All I wanted to do was post "True Romance at the World's Fair," and this is the result. Why did they write so many summery songs?! Why can't I resist the late Lydia Tomkiw's flat, Chicago-accented recital of poetry?!

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

I'm a little bit late again.

A little melancholy with "Sealed with a Kiss" by Brian Hyland

I'm feeling a little silly. You wouldn't wear one of these unless it was summer. Also by Brian Hyland - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

This is an instrumental, but was a huge hit. "Theme from A Summer Place" by Percy Faith

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

I agree with the poster above who said that any Beach Boys song would qualify, but I'll contribute the only one I can think of that actually has the word in the title. "All Summer Long" by the Beach Boys

Somehow, I don't think they were talking about alcohol. "Summer Wine" by Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra

pmillsrulz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmillsrulz
CatCK wrote: This is an instrumental, but was a huge hit. "Theme from A Summer Place" by Percy Faith

I was going to post this as well. Although, it makes me shudder to hear it because it's been used in Stephen King movies.

And this is a melancholy summer song, I know, but it's not always sunny in summer. Sometimes there are rainy days.