gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
perpetuallyfrozen wrote:I ended up getting one of these the last time around, and have only had it for a few weeks now. Overall, it has been able to handle most of my needs (semi-casual gaming, development), however I do have one qualm with it. The keys seem fairly cheap, and often I find myself almost smashing at the keyboard to ensure that characters are not missed while I am typing. It is actually a pretty big deal to me, since I do use it for development, and I somewhat regret getting this laptop as a replacement to the HP dual core that went up a few weeks before this one.

For people that actually know how to type, keyboard feel is a huge deal- almost need to try a similar model out in a store before buying online. In my case I can't type worth a $hit, so I'm a lot more flexible on keyboards. I refuse to learn how to type, I'm still holding out for technology that will make keyboards obsolete. I've been waiting since the 80's.

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo
ashli143 wrote:Yeah, I was trying to wrap my head around his comment too - Toshiba is one of the best laptop brands imo.

It may be a holdover from the "old days" when they were known as Trashibas.

Of course, those were also the days when HP was considered godlike.

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
sdc100 wrote:....I, as well as my colleagues, do indeed have problems adjusting to the smaller keyboard and prefer to do without the keypad. We can always plug in a USB keypad if necessary.

As for the island keys, again, what is your point? So what if it's become mainstream? i acknowledged that younger users don't mind, and they often drive the mainstream market. So I;'m not sure what you're trying to correct. Mainstream or not, it's still nto full travel, and touch typists still prefer that. Ask any transcriptionist, where speed and accuracy are paramount. My secretary and medical transcriber refuse to use these keyboards. The reason they have become mainstream is not due to usability but other factors. They are MUCH cheaper to make, and allow thinner laptops (because they're not full travel). YOu can also backlight them. But in terms of reliability, they generally suffer. Many island keyboards simply use bubble membrane keys -- the major source of remote control failure.

Not wanting to interrupt your disagreement with the other poster...other than to say I agree with you 100%. Your keyboard points are valid and have been a serious problem for me (fwiw) on other laptops to the point I had to use a USB plug-in full size keyboard--not a huge deal, but an annoyance nonetheless as far as portability. So that, along with the Win 8 rather than 7 OS make this a deal-breaker for me.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

ThunderThighs wrote:For those commenting on Windows 8, you might as well give it up.

All new Windows computers and now most refurbished some with Windows 8. It's really not a valid point for a buying decision any more. And, as many have pointed out, there are add-ons out there that give you the Windows 7 UI.

So let's take a vote on what the next fad will be for y'all to say you're not interested. You've gone through HDMI, Windows 8, and USB 3.0. We need something new. Come on!

It's a weird color. There. Happy now? =p

In all seriosity, however, it's just like when Vista came out. We'll find older versions (back then, XP)...or wait until the next level up comes out. Consumers ain't gonna buy something that isn't what we want just because that's the way the market is. In the end, it's the consumers who drive it.

ReginaFilangee

aldenm wrote:I don't care if you were offering a trip on the space shuttle. If it has Windows 8, it's a loser. Sorry.

Well, for a trip on the space shuttle.....
I might be inclined to cave if that were offered. What say, Woot?

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Not a fan of Windows 8 as far as interface but the 64 bit performance is very nice and it is a pretty solid OS. (Minus the Interface) I would shudder to deploy in a corporate environment at this time, but for individual use it will work as long as you take the time to learn the little shortcuts.

I am not modding it yet but I am waiting for SP1 which is supposed to give us back the start menu and option to boot to desktop instead of those stupid tiles.

This is not ME or Vista so I don't expect it to just fall away and be forgotten. Microsoft wants a uniform look cross platform (IE Phones with touch screens)but really took a hit trying to shove it down our throats.

I don't think it should be a deal killer unless you want to wait until this fall when SP1 is released to buy a new PC/Laptop.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I'm using Win8 with Start8 which brings back the full Start menu and boot to desktop.

mjkane1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mjkane1
sdc100 wrote:As somewhat of a novice myself, you're asking the same question I asked a fe weeks ago. What I've learned is that your question can't be answered as worded. In the 80's, everything was so much easier. There was a CPU (80286, 80386, 80486, etc) and a Frequncy number, i.e. 2.3ghz. It was simple to compare CPUs. Now there are so many variables that you can't simply say i3, i5 or i7. A fast i5, for exmple, can be faster than a slow i7. Not only do you have to consider frequency, but the number of cores as well. I've seen 4 core i7s at 1.9 ghz perform better than a 2 core i5 running at 2.8ghz (I think those were the numbers). And many other variables...

So there really is no answer to how this AMD compares to an i5 or i7, unless you specify which i5 or i7.

Here is a comparison that you may find useful. Your Turion Dual core M600 2.4ghz has a Pass Mark score of 1376 (ranking #826 of all CPUs), while this AMD scores 3162 (ranking #370). In other words, this computer is much faster. The lower the ranking, the better. Please note that there is more to a computer's performance than CPU speed alone. For example, there is memory speed, how much memory you have, hard drive speed, graphics processor, operating system (Win 8 is supposedly pretty speedy), etc.

Click here to see your m600
Click here to see this AMD 4600M

I'm currently considering this Woot deal as well as an i7 laptop for about $100 more. The i7 CPU I'm considering has a Pass Mark of over 7000, and ranks about #80.

Thanks for the big help! LOL, I am used to the old 286 vs 386 days. Seems like for the light gaming I use it for, the GPU will be a benefit. When did I become such an old man?

Went to bed last night saying if they were still available this morning I would pull the trigger. Looks like I will be picking one up.

...Did I just buy that?

abodao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abodao
mevande wrote:You can make the Windows 8 user interface look like Windows 7 with a neat little interface I wrote. You can toggle back and forth between Win8 and Wint GUI

Where can one find and download your interface app.

fightingpillow

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fightingpillow

I bought this laptop from woot on May 20th. So far, so good. Windows 8 takes a little getting used to and I imagine it's amazing with a touchscreen, but honestly it's not all bad. There are handy shortcuts to do just about everything. And if you don't see what you want, just start typing and BAM! there it is.

About the computer. I like it, it's fast. Handles graphics processing very well in my opinion (I watch a lot of TV/movies but don't play new games or anything). Everything seems to work well (wireless, wires, USB ports, etc.). Looked and smelled brand new when I received it (I'll probably buy refurbed from now on).

I got frustrated with the touchpad because it seemed to turn off at times. If this happens to you, do not fret! It's the F5 key. Toshiba seems to think the "functions" are more important than the Fs. When you refresh a browser page you must use FN+F5 because F5 alone merely turns off your touchpad.

The fan is marvelous. Keeps it cool in ways my last laptop could only dream of.

I would recommend this laptop.

shar4ie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shar4ie

Looks like a decent deal. That AMD A10 processor is about the same as a highend intel i3. So perfect for everyday needs. Toshiba is generally a solid brand. I havn't tried windows 8 yet, but I've heard that for a personal computer it's actually pretty good. Maybe give it a chance.

gak0090

sdc100 wrote: Many island keyboards simply use bubble membrane keys -- the major source of remote control failure.

So what exactly is your protest?

Everytime I hear/see the word membrane- I think of the song:

gak0090

here is an interesting option for $400 http://tech.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-14-core-i3-laptop-w-ssd-5
Dell Latitude E5430 14" LED Laptop, Intel Core i3-2350M Dual-Core 2.3GHz, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, HDMI, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, W7Pro.

The CPU is a little weaker than the AMD of today (passmark 2697 vs 3162), smaller screen (but this form factor may be a pro to some), traditional keyboard, SSD which will decrease space but increase perfomance- and best of all Windows 7 pro. You would probably want to upgrade RAM to 8gb (support up to 16gb).

disparky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disparky

Include Windows 7 and we have a deal.

gak0090

disparky wrote:Include Windows 7 and we have a deal.

did you check out what I posted above?

stuckinmotion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stuckinmotion

For those of you who were looking to see if this laptop can run a particular game, Notebookcheck.net has some benchmarks results of this GPU running on some popular games on the market:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7660G.69830.0.html

thomasreiter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomasreiter

Put Windows XP on it and you might have a laptop.

mboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mboss
ThunderThighs wrote:For those commenting on Windows 8, you might as well give it up.

All new Windows computers and now most refurbished some with Windows 8. It's really not a valid point for a buying decision any more. And, as many have pointed out, there are add-ons out there that give you the Windows 7 UI.

So let's take a vote on what the next fad will be for y'all to say you're not interested. You've gone through HDMI, Windows 8, and USB 3.0. We need something new. Come on!

Yeah....like the guy with the $4200 suit is going help you with your poll....Come on!!

nabutu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nabutu

So let me pull this laptop apart for you and expose it's (possible) negatives. I think it's a great deal - $400 refurb for something Walmart sells new at $600. But every deal has its drawbacks.
The onboard RJ45 NIC is 10/100, not gig-E. Still beats most broadband ISP up/down speeds, tho, and it does have WiFi-N, works great. The screen is 1024x768, not quite 1080p, and up to the highest resolutions out there. But it is great to look at (in person with my old eyes). The 750 HD is 5400rpm, not the fastest, but lotsa space. 8GB RAM, is far more than most ppl need, but better too much than too little. I'd suggest using WindowsXP and Ubunto under Virtual Box, to consume all that ram. And finally, it does NOT have Bluetooth!! But if you want Bluetooth, you can get a tiny USB adapter for about $10-15. Just note that there are currently some issues with the Windows-8 registry and Bluetooth drivers. Do a google/bing search and you'll find a workable utube how-to.

I don't know how to compare AMD procs to Intel, but A10-4600 was new one year ago, one step down from their fastest mobile processor, and 4-core, as advertised. Does that compare to a i7 Quad Cores (8 threads?!?) of similar 2.3/3.1ghz?

Windows-8 is a learning curve, but so was W95 and Vista. The screen with all the boxes, is just an expanded version of the START menu - more visual. The control panel is easier to find. They use tablet lingo (tap VS click) and you find yourself bouncing the mouse over the screen corners and sides to find hidden things.

Toshiba phone support ROCKS. Let them help you learn Win-8..

pdpest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdpest
alanhwoot wrote:I'm using Win8 with Start8 which brings back the full Start menu and boot to desktop.

Same here. For the price of shipping 2 items at Woot, it does away with 95% of my annoyances with Win 8. It was money well spent to hold me over till the free Microsoft update soon to be released.

pdpest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdpest

When I compared reviews in general for Toshiba vs Asus laptops at several merchant sites, it appears Toshiba is consistently rated higher than Asus. My last 3 laptops have been Toshiba. The customer service is fantastic the few times I've needed them.

In regards to the processor, hands down an i5 is faster. The integrated graphics on the A10 smokes the integrated graphics with the i5.

Few people actually use the full processor power. Web browsing, email, Word, Powerpoint - none of these things are going to max out the CPU of this laptop. Serious gamers would be happy with either an i5 nor an A10... but few would consider gaming on a laptop.

With this laptop, the A10 will provide a very nice balance between processor and graphics.

Just another opinion from an experienced techie. Take it for what it's worth.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

No mention of bluetooth?
Hmmmph!

sbrudos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbrudos

Someone above asked if you can use a mouse with this. Sorry for my ignorance, but I have the same question and don't know how to tell from the specs if you can do this. Would love some help if you can!

gak0090

sbrudos wrote:Someone above asked if you can use a mouse with this. Sorry for my ignorance, but I have the same question and don't know how to tell from the specs if you can do this. Would love some help if you can!

You can use any type of USB mouse you want on this, either wired or wireless. Usually through the software controlling the track pad you can disable it (you don't have to- but if it annoys you, you can)

kathtibs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathtibs
sbrudos wrote:Someone above asked if you can use a mouse with this. Sorry for my ignorance, but I have the same question and don't know how to tell from the specs if you can do this. Would love some help if you can!

use a mouse with a usb plug? My understanding is that with all laptops, you are able to use mice, so long as you have a free spot to plug it in.

sbrudos

Ok, hoping for the patience of the community here as I ask my Curly Joe questions... Could a person play WoW on this?

gak0090

sbrudos wrote:Ok, hoping for the patience of the community here as I ask my Curly Joe questions... Could a person play WoW on this?

It should play OK, check out this youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMYovi4Yc4
Published on Jan 23, 2013
Yes i know the vid looks bad. It was the angle i will make a better vid and use my plasma but this was a cheap LCD panel on the laptop. This vid is just showing the smoothness in org running the fallowing settings.

Display mode. Full screen
Res. 1280X768
Multisampling. 1X
Vsync Disabled.
Texture Res. High
Texture filtering. 16X Anti
Projected textures. Disabled
View Distance. Ultra
Environment Detail. Ultra
Ground Clutter. Ultra
Shadow Quality. Good
Liquid Detail. Ultra
Sunshafts. High
Particle density. Ultra
SSAO. Disabled

Laptop is a HP Envy M6 with a A10 4600m Hd 7660g 8gigs of DDR3 1600.

sbrudos

Thank you so much!

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

i've had great experiences with Toshiba laptops. minus Windows 8, this looks like a pretty good deal.

cheapoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cheapoo

Well I finally had enough of you my old friend Woot! I think it is time we broke up, go our separate ways.
I don't want to be your friend any more.
Before you call me, text me,or send one of your girl friends over to my place, let me express my profound sadness at our parting. Frankly, my dear, you have changed, no longer do you tempt me with your "new" offer every day. It was exciting just to be near you, for years we were so close I even made you my home page in Firefox, Chrome and even in Linux. But alas, you have no interest in me any more! You're all about style and flashy web page design, of socks and golf balls (refurbished), AA batteries and ugly watches.
I tried, Woot, I really tried, I stuck around hoping for the good old days. But no more, life goes on.. Bye, Bye and thanks for the fish!
Cheapoo

IrishMick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IrishMick

Awesome! Been looking for a laptop the last couple of weeks now. And it can play some decent games? Sold.

MrJDW1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrJDW1

My laptop arrived in a week. Three days of use and it crashed. First time burned by a refurbished electropnic product.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MrJDW1 wrote:My laptop arrived in a week. Three days of use and it crashed. First time burned by a refurbished electropnic product.

Ugh, sorry. Since this carries a 90-day Woot warranty, email support@woot.com. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders