Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3190 Private Messages lichme

Item: Panasonic 4-Handset w/Link-to-Cell
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/21/2013 - $49.99 (Woot-off) - 14 comment(s)
5/12/2013 - $49.99 - 79 comment(s)
3/19/2013 - $69.99 - 84 comment(s)

4/23/2013 - $70.00 (Woot Plus)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

lichme

Here is the product page

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

Reviews from Costco
Reviews from Amazon

[Mod Edit] fixed typo.

bajacobi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bajacobi

Usually the specs indicate the voltage someplace, but I don't see that here (or with the lengthy specs, somehow missed it). Can someone tell me if this is 110-240 Voltage? Live in a country with 240, but I could have it sent to my sister in US if this doesn't require a converter (just an adapter for the plugs).

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

YAY!!! This one has bluetooth AND a headset jack!!!

I have waited a LONG time to see this come up.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

lstaff

quality posts: 204 Private Messages lstaff

I could really use a two-line phone. (hint, hint!)

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark

We don't have a land line at all, but it makes me crazy when hubs is home and doesn't hear his phone and is basically unreachable. Can this system be used to basically multiply cell phones, even if there's no land-line service coming to it?

tscottme

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tscottme
landsnark wrote:We don't have a land line at all, but it makes me crazy when hubs is home and doesn't hear his phone and is basically unreachable. Can this system be used to basically multiply cell phones, even if there's no land-line service coming to it?

Yes. You can use these Link2Cell landline cordless phones as cell phone clones around the house. Pair this system with your cell phone, if it has Bluetooth. Now, each of these handsets of this system will use the cellphone to make call. I think this system indicates you can pair up to 2 cell phones with it. I don't know how that works if both cell phones are within range of the Panasonic.

I've heard of people using Link2Cell to connect home security systems to a cell phone, when no landline is live any more.

dennycrane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennycrane

Bought this last time it was offered. I like it a lot and would buy again. Great price too. Small downside is that I notice when you connect to a cell and you talk on the handset to talk through the cell, there's cackling.

Vanstorm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Vanstorm

In for one. Was on the fence last time this was up and never pulled the trigger, so glad it is showing up again.
Wife and I are ready to drop the old landline phone service, but don't want to be tethered to carrying the cell around the house with us. This should work perfectly.
Fingers crossed that the functionality is good enough to satisfy the Mrs.

lowellw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowellw

I bought one of these when it was offered last month. I gave the older model 2 handset link-to-cell I had been using when I bought this to my girlfriend. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my old HTC Evo 3D which worked fine on the older Panasonic link-to-cell would not pair with this model. I have since upgraded to an iPhone 5 and that works fine. Looks like not all cell phones work with this. I think there is a list of compatible models on the Panasonic website. One problem with cellphones is you cannot always hear it ringing throughout the house and the signal may be stronger in different areas. With this package, you can deploy the handsets throughout the house and hear incoming cell calls throughout. You can also use this with a land line or cable or dsl setup. It has a headphone jack but I have never used it. You can make outgoing cell phone calls as well as in. I have not used the outgoing feature but the incoming works fine. It can be paired with two bluetooth devices such as a cell phone and bluetooth headset. I have not tried using two bluetooth devices at once. The base has an answering machine which works well. I was disappointed when my old HTC cell did not work with this but am satisfied with it now that I have changed phones. I certainly would buy it again. At this price, it is a good buy even if you do not use the link-to cell or other features.

ildoubleril

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ildoubleril
lstaff wrote:I could really use a two-line phone. (hint, hint!)

so umm maybe you should buy a few of these then... hint hint

Double R

sherry7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherry7

I didn't see this info anywhere. Do the handsets have a speakerphone?

gkferguson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gkferguson
sherry7 wrote:I didn't see this info anywhere. Do the handsets have a speakerphone?

In the specs -

Speakerphone volume: 7-step. Sounds like they must.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

does this have the mobile phone text alert that seems to be on the newer models?

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
landsnark wrote:We don't have a land line at all, but it makes me crazy when hubs is home and doesn't hear his phone and is basically unreachable. Can this system be used to basically multiply cell phones, even if there's no land-line service coming to it?

What you can do is like what I've got,I use that magic jack for my landline phone. It is only 30.00 ayear. And you can use it with any phone. And works with your high speed netz connection.

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

snorf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snorf
bajacobi wrote:Usually the specs indicate the voltage someplace, but I don't see that here (or with the lengthy specs, somehow missed it). Can someone tell me if this is 110-240 Voltage? Live in a country with 240, but I could have it sent to my sister in US if this doesn't require a converter (just an adapter for the plugs).

According to Manual it is 120VAC only
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7731-MUL.PDF

But it is just a wall wort so you could get a 240Vac wall wort with applicable output in VDC (be sure to also match the maVDC output)

snorf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snorf
snorf wrote:According to Manual it is 120VAC only
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7731-MUL.PDF

davecoon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davecoon13

If used without Link2Cell, does each handset extension require a physical connection to a phone jack, or does just the base unit require connection to a phone jack?

I've searched and can't find that answer anywhere on the Internet.

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
davecoon13 wrote:If used without Link2Cell, does each handset extension require a physical connection to a phone jack, or does just the base unit require connection to a phone jack?

I've searched and can't find that answer anywhere on the Internet.

Only the base unit will connect to a phone jack. The handsets are wireless, though each comes with a charging cradle that will need 120v power to charge the handset. There is no place for a line cord to plug into plug either the handset or the charger.

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719

I have one of the older Panasonic 2-handsets with Link2Cell. I love it. I do not have a landline anymore, my cellphone (a 2 year old HTC Android model) is my only phone. I have my cell charger next to the base station of the cordless, so when I arrive back home, I can connect the cell to the charger and it is close to the base. Bluetooth automatically connects as soon as I get home, so all calls in/out go through the cordless phones. When a friend was visiting for a couple of weeks, I paired his iPhone with it, it worked great. His phone would have a different ringtone on the cordless as well as an indication that it was on the different cell (it shows the name of the cellphone). You can set which phone is the default for outgoing calls, or make the choice with each call.
Panasonic really did this well.

compudata

bajacobi wrote: Can someone tell me if this is 110-240 Voltage?

As shipped from woot, this phone system only supports 110-120V. You could order PNLV226EV adapters from Panasonic (EV=European Voltage), but you'll likely pay more for a few adapters than you did for the whole system from woot.

compudata

fuzi719 wrote:I have one of the older Panasonic 2-handsets with Link2Cell. I love it. I do not have a landline anymore, my cellphone (a 2 year old HTC Android model) is my only phone. I have my cell charger next to the base station of the cordless, so when I arrive back home, I can connect the cell to the charger and it is close to the base. Bluetooth automatically connects as soon as I get home, so all calls in/out go through the cordless phones. When a friend was visiting for a couple of weeks, I paired his iPhone with it, it worked great. His phone would have a different ringtone on the cordless as well as an indication that it was on the different cell (it shows the name of the cellphone). You can set which phone is the default for outgoing calls, or make the choice with each call.
Panasonic really did this well.

The manual for this system specifically says, "Up to 2 cellular phones can be registered.
However, only one Bluetooth device
(cellular phone or headset) can be
connected to the base unit at a time."

compudata

It's nice to see that when the rechargeable battery wears out, we won't have to hunt for a specific replacement battery since these handsets take standard AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries!

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
lowellw wrote:I bought one of these when it was offered last month. I gave the older model 2 handset link-to-cell I had been using when I bought this to my girlfriend. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my old HTC Evo 3D which worked fine on the older Panasonic link-to-cell would not pair with this model. I have since upgraded to an iPhone 5 and that works fine. Looks like not all cell phones work with this. I think there is a list of compatible models on the Panasonic website.

I looked at the Panasonic site, did not see a list of compatible cell phone models.

Woot Staff, any suggestions?

A

calvins

quality posts: 2 Private Messages calvins

2 SUQ's (Stupid User Questions)

1) Do all of the handsets have jacks for headsets? (Found the answer - yes)

2) It appears that the system can be used with land line systems (FIOS, etc). which we have. Does it handle cellphones AND landline systems at the same time or just one or the other? (here's the SUQ part... ;-) )

Steve

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

I would want to use the Link2 feature Cell only for incoming calls. With outgoing calls being on the land line.

Can it be setup this way, or does one need to make a cell vs land line selection for each outgoing call?

A

davecoon13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davecoon13
compudata wrote:Only the base unit will connect to a phone jack. The handsets are wireless, though each comes with a charging cradle that will need 120v power to charge the handset. There is no place for a line cord to plug into plug either the handset or the charger.

OK, great. This is exactly what I was asking. I ordered a set. I found on Google and ebay that you can get additonal handset extensions for $25 each if you search for "TGA470S" or "TGA470B."

PhilMetzler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhilMetzler
AerodexdotCom wrote:I would want to use the Link2 feature Cell only for incoming calls. With outgoing calls being on the land line.

Can it be setup this way, or does one need to make a cell vs land line selection for each outgoing call?

You can choose either cell, but if you just start calling it defaults to the landline.

wootatchakobsadotnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatchakobsadotnet
dennycrane wrote:Bought this last time it was offered. I like it a lot and would buy again. Great price too. Small downside is that I notice when you connect to a cell and you talk on the handset to talk through the cell, there's cackling.

That's due to the witches. You see, connecting all these wireless things together requires quite a lot of black magic so Panasonic had to put a witch in each of the handsets plus one in the base unit. When you connect your cell and talk on the handset through the cell you're forcing the witches to work, hence the cackling.

As long as you keep your phone calls short you should be fine. If the cackling gets louder and more malevolent you should probably hang up before they turn you into a toad.

pinfar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinfar

I have had a similar Panasonic model for about a year now (also a refurb)and it is solid. I set my cell near the base unit when I get home and it automatically pairs within a minute or so. I have to re-link once a month or so but I consider that a minor nuisance. I had my doubts before I bought it since I have found bluetooth to be somewhat hit or miss but this thing works. It just works. It doesn't drop connections and it is as clear as my cell phone, an old stupid phone. Downloading your phonebook, talking caller id, it all just works. It is one of those rare items I have found to be far better than I expected.

steveg5489

quality posts: 2 Private Messages steveg5489
dennycrane wrote:Bought this last time it was offered. I like it a lot and would buy again. Great price too. Small downside is that I notice when you connect to a cell and you talk on the handset to talk through the cell, there's cackling.

Agree that cackling occurs when paired with cell, especially during a call with my mother-in- law.

I use Ooma and it connects seamlessly to these phones.

persuasion7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages persuasion7

I don't really understand these phones, but want to buy anyway. If your cellphone reception is poor in your home phone area (most of my calls get dropped), would these phones not work well? Thanks for any input.

swayne1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swayne1

I have another brand of cell link phone the answer machine part only works with land line how about panny ?
Also when you make a call to a system that says (press one for sales) pressing one doesn't do anything.

teresajoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teresajoan
AerodexdotCom wrote:I looked at the Panasonic site, did not see a list of compatible cell phone models.

Woot Staff, any suggestions?

Here's the list of compatible cell phones.
http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/catalog/2013/phones/cellular_compatiblelist_with_panasonic_products_may_07_2013.pdf

stumann666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stumann666

I don't see anything about range. How far away from the base unit will they work? Through walls, outside, second story?

nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake

I bought these last time. I paired them with an iPhone 4S.

The good: the iPhone paired easily and transferred the contacts quickly. I like how it does Caller ID and Missed Calls better than my previous phones which were Uniden. I like how it announces who is calling. It plays people's custom rings from the cell phone, which is interesting. It's much easier to manage the answering machine from the remote handsets. It has interesting settings such as being able to set a Do Not Disturb time where the phone is silent.

The bad: My BF calls every night from his cell and we talk every night. I have a difficult time hearing him (on speaker phone) and frequently have to ask him to speak louder. There is also a weird swishing-whooshing noise during silences which is persistent; again, during cell to landline calls.

Conclusion: I'm very happy with this phone set _except_ the call quality of cell-to-landline, on speaker phone.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
compudata wrote:It's nice to see that when the rechargeable battery wears out, we won't have to hunt for a specific replacement battery since these handsets take standard AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries!

I order the cheapest correct voltage (2.4 or 3.6v, 2/3 cell) battery pack from ebay, usually $1-$2. Don't worry about the connector style, many are now "universal" and if not I just cut the connector off the old batt and reuse on the new. Usually get 2-4 years out of them. Same applies if you can't wait for slow boat from China shipping on ebay, any 2 or 3 cell from a local store works fine, just reuse the connector if you have to.

nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:

As long as you keep your phone calls short you should be fine. If the cackling gets louder and more malevolent you should probably hang up before they turn you into a toad.

This pretty much accurately describes my nightly bedtime call from my BF...