WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Join us now, as we race into… THE FUTUREturetureturetureture! A great many songs in modern music are secretly about science fiction. Today Scott's picked five that he likes the best, and hopes you can throw a few more his way in the comments. Now strap yourselves in, because we're headed out into the stars. Three. Two. One. Ignition. LIFT OFF!

Blue Oyster Cult - Veteran Of The Psychic Wars

Co-written by no less than author Michael Moorcock, this sad story of the survivor of a maddening future war carries the plodding step of the soldier under grinding guitar and icy keyboard. Can't you just hear the starships overhead? To say nothing of those initials that are near and dear to any Wooter's heart.

Four more sci-fi classics inside. We're turning on the hyperspace engines now. We'll see you after the jump.

As always, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Summertime Songs and it'll be a mix you can enjoy for a few more months. But before you start reminiscing, check out our current Music Monday, right now.

Queen - '39.

Name one other song that deals with Special Relativity. Name ONE song. Because of the skiffly feel, lots of people (including me) assumed this song was set in 1939, but NOPE. It's a '39 far in the future, when people can go faster than the speed of light, experience time dilation, and return home far younger than their children and friends. The moral of this song? Never, ever doubt a man who is both a rock star and an astrophysics professor.

Janelle Monae - Many Moons

Between the hand and the mind is the heart. Sound familiar? Janelle Monae is pretty open that her story of a time-traveling android draws from sci-fi classic Metropolis. But it's not just a simple cover. This mix of synth and funk and beats and Sesame Street and, like, everything makes this Afrofuturistic sci-fi pretty awesome.

Mike Batt - Love Makes You Crazy

It really doesn't get more '80s than the line Before the seventh war, there used to be a thing that they called love, right? Mike Batt isn't what anyone would call a superstar, but the staccato chorus of Future Guy doing a PSA against love is worth a nod. Also take note of this video, Tennant fans, because this is how Doctor Who is SUPPOSED to look.

Rush - Red Barchetta

Yes, every teen boy who loves guitar has passed through their Rush phase, and the opening notes of Red Barchetta mix mellow with rockin' in a way that only Canadians can manage. But listen close to the lyrics, and you'll see the secret: this song takes place in a world where the oil companies have lost out to a government who sends policemen after sports cars! And if THAT'S not sci-fi, what is?

You know there's more out there. Scott knows there's more out there. So fill our comments with songs that are actually Sci-Fi stories and let's all tour the galaxy together, huh? And, as always, Space Station Turntable.fm room is therefore the regular Music Monday enjoyment, if you care to dock. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"In the Year 2525" by Zager & Evans
"Mr. Roboto" by Styx

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

'39 is definitely the greatest secret science fiction song.

Major Tom isn't all that secret--is it out of the running?

aaronwooster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aaronwooster

"Why Me?" by Planet P Project although the entire Pink World concept album [about a boy named Artemis who has psychic powers and eventually becomes a messiah against the backdrop of the Cold War and nuclear annihilation] probably qualifies as well.

Also pretty much anything by S.P.O.C.K ("Dr. McCoy", "In Space no one can hear you Scream") would have to count.

blueflamingo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blueflamingo

Does T'Pau's "Heart and Soul" count since the group is secret science fiction?

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen

See, were I a more technologically savvy person, I would have already uploaded "Womble of the Universe," probably several years ago for an unrelated reason. But the story of Orinoco Womble going to space in a clockwork rocket ship built by Tobermory cannot be told today because I can't even find a link to the lyrics. I have a xeroxed lyric sheet from the '70's, somewhere, but typing out lyrics is not the same. Damn it.

Anyway, we'll start with the easy cuts:
Bonzo Dog, Beautiful Zelda

and I'm the Urban Spaceman

After much soul-searching, Pink Floyd's Point Me at the Sky

T. Rex, Planet Queen

Alice Cooper, My Stars

Every Hawkwind song takes place in outer space and might be part of one long narrative:
Silver Machine

Space is Deep

Every Gary Numan song takes place in a decaying, dystopian future (even the ones about atheism):
I Dream of Wires

Robert Palmer's version, synths by Gary

Techinally, this has nothing to do with science fiction, but the video SHOULD be taking place in outer space, a dystopian future, or both:
Robert Palmer's Looking for Clues

I have very little familiarity with hip-hop, but I feel that this would not be the case had someone introduced me to the work of Kool Keith earlier in life:
Earth People

Blue Flowers

Finally, I am convined that Come Sail Away and Solsbury Hill are both about alien abduction, but will not link to them.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall
blueflamingo wrote:Does T'Pau's "Heart and Soul" count since the group is secret science fiction?

One would assume that, if so, Duran Duran would also be included.

dwootshrute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dwootshrute

One of the great albums just after the 1960s was Blows Against The Empire in 1970, which was the story of hijacking a starship to escape from the narrow minded strictures of Nixon-era America. The group was Jefferson Airplane plus David Crosby and Jerry Garcia and others, renamed as Jefferson Starship. A lot of good music on that album. Here is one song from it, Sunrise; check out the others from the album to get the whole story.

subtraho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages subtraho

A lot of these aren't really very "secret" - they're pretty overtly SciFi.

I mean, there's a reason the original post lists Rush's "Red Barchetta" and not the more obvious choices of "2112" or "Cygnus X-1".

mossygreen

subtraho wrote:A lot of these aren't really very "secret" - they're pretty overtly SciFi.

I mean, there's a reason the original post lists Rush's "Red Barchetta" and not the more obvious choices of "2112" or "Cygnus X-1".

Fair enough. Most of my choices, for example, don't even pass a "can't tell for sure by the title" test. I think we're just having fun? I guess I could delete everything I posted except for Silver Machine and maybe Point Me at the Sky.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

We're judging on a curve about the secret part. Don't feel limited by that part of the title.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mossygreen

Slydon wrote:We're judging on a curve about the secret part. Don't feel limited by that part of the title.

Yay! Now I can find a link to the entirety of Diamond Dogs when I get home!

Also: were I not already convinced that we are exactly the same age, give or take a year, your comment to Tennant fans would have clinched it for me.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Secret Sci-Fi? Well, I guess singing about "the universe" would be considered Sci-Fi. Wouldn't it?

"Edge of the Universe" by the Bee Gees

"Across the Universe" by The Beatles

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
chicken0102 wrote:"In the Year 2525" by Zager & Evans
"Mr. Roboto" by Styx

Oddly, these were the first two I thought of as well.

SO.

In lieu of classic sci-fi songs, how about some modern ones!

Chameleon Circuit is a band that plays Time Lord Rock (aka - Doctor Who Rock)
My favorite is "An Awful Lot of Running to Do", but that's the one I heard first, so I'm biased.

Jonathan Coulton's I'm Your Moon netted me a win in a Valentine's Day contest, but it's really a sweet song about Pluto being decommissioned.

While not a SECRET Space song, Space Junk by Rhett and Link technically qualifies.

"Collecting -
SPACE JUNK
SPACE WASTE
SPACE STUFF
LIVING THE COSMIC CUSTODIAL LIFE..."

OH OH OH - Daft Punk's "Discovery" is not inherently Sci-Fi, but it IS the complete soundtrack to "Interstella 5555" - which everyone in this thread should GO WATCH NOW.

"You Make Me" by Wierd Al is kinda Paranormalish (as in - Alien is playing with human reactions in his specimen)

Al's "Everything You Know Is Wrong" goes space-case somewhere in the middle, but you don't see it going there until YOU'RE RIGHT THERE.

CatCK

Finally, I am convined that Come Sail Away and Solsbury Hill are both about alien abduction, but will not link to them.

True Story: "Come Sail Away" was my high school Class Song when I graduated in 1980. So, I'll be the one to post it.

joncurtiss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joncurtiss

B52s - "Trism"

"She has to leave, she has to go. The fastest way is by Trism.
Steps off the curb. Stellar corona.... Like the sun bends light through a prism, she bends herself through the trism."

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

The Rolling Stones - 2000 Light Years from Home (US Vinyl Mono LP Mix) - YouTube

TO TAME A LAND - IRON MAIDEN with lyrics - YouTube Many to choose from with these guys.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Third stone from the sun - YouTube

Dark Ages - Nomeansno - YouTube Definitely has the same vibe as Brazil or Metropolis. So perhaps not fiction enough...

Man or Astroman? U235 Pu239 03 - YouTube Too many from these guys. Plus really not a secret.

Planet Caravan - Black Sabbath - YouTube Lots of stuff from these guys also.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

It's about the man from Mars ...

Blondie - "Rapture"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

CatCK wrote:True Story: "Come Sail Away" was my high school Class Song when I graduated in 1980. So, I'll be the one to post it.

Well, that certainly seems like an appropriate year for it. I retroactively approve!

mossygreen

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

How about some OVERTLY OBVIOUS Sci-fi Fu.

Will Smith has co-starred with aliens. Hence:
"Men In Black" (end theme/top 20 hit)
"Men in Black 2: "Nod Ya Head (Black Suits Comin')" (From the sequel.

And of course:
"E.T." Katy Perry feat Kanye West
(Yes, I had to go there.)

There, now that that's out of the way...

ON TO PARODY SONGS:
"@ The Star Wars... The star wars can-tiiiiiina..." - Copacabana parody

Weird Al, master of all things parody, of course has a few more -
"Yoda" - parody of Lola
"The Saga Begins" - Parody of American Pie SO GOOD that Don McLean even had to stop listening to it so that he wouldn't sing the wrong words on accident while he was on tour. Oh, and it was a DEAD ON spoilerfest for Episode 1 of Star Wars.

"Midnight Star" is actually NOT about galactic space experiences. Well, actually, it is, in maybe one or two lines. But it's actually about tabloid stories. ^_^ "Aliens from outer space are sleeping in my car!"

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Crap, forgot one. Anthrax - I Am The Law - YouTube [NSFW] Good tiiimes!

DaneLeRoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaneLeRoy

"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" by The Carpenters.

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

Is it -fi or isn't it?

CatCK

Moueska wrote:"The Saga Begins" - Parody of American Pie SO GOOD that Don McLean even had to stop listening to it so that he wouldn't sing the wrong words on accident while he was on tour. Oh, and it was a DEAD ON spoilerfest for Episode 1 of Star Wars.

I think this one was one of Al's best. The video is great too. (I'll post it later if you don't.)

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76
DaneLeRoy wrote:"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" by The Carpenters.

Well, by Klaatu first, but I like the Carpenters' version better.

With Karen's voice, and face, how could aliens NOT want to make contact with us?

http://youtu.be/teBV0EoJJY8

bobboag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobboag

After the Gold Rush Neil Young
Memory of a Free Festival Bowie
Five Years Bowie
Jocko same Devo
Wooden Ships David Crosby

Edit: Jocko Same? Nice edit software woot - From one Same sapiens to another

mossygreen

Well, the woof-off is over, I didn't score a bag but I did get some t-shirts, and now I have time to post a link to the entirety of Diamond Dogs, because it does take place in a post-apocalyptic dystopia full of government surveillance and gay cruising. I love the album, but I can't really argue with Orwell's widow denying him the rights. It travels far from its source.

Here's some Lydia Lunch! Don't worry; she doesn't sing:

mossygreen

I waited a respectable period of time, and am now adding:
INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE!

And T. Rex's Interstellar Soul

And just because I don't care what anybody says, I love Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow, here's Venus Loon

OK, editing to add this Bryan Ferry video, because it honestly looks like the Tardis should materialize at some point. Although, maybe Blake's 7 would be better. Haven't seen it since the mid-'80's.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:Although, maybe Blake's 7 would be better.[/youtube]

Ha ha ha ha

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.