+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Mathematics is a game played according to certain rules with meaningless marks on paper.
- David Hilbert

Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater.
- Albert Einstein

Professor Basil P. Crapschmidt is on the verge of an intellectual breakthrough. After years of painstaking study, he has determined that the universe can be explained by the numbers found in random bits of trivia. His only problem: He can't do math.

Help this visionary but arithmetically challenged scholar complete his Master Equation and you shall be crappily rewarded! Don't worry, you don't need more than a calculator and a lot of free time to play the game.

Here's how it works:

• Throughout the Woot-Off this Tuesday and Wednesday, Professor Crapschmidt's clues will appear along with new products on www.Woot.com
  • Clues are formatted like this: (Ounces in a cup) * (Cups in a gallon) /offers/XXXXXXX  . If you can't see the full URL, check the blog
  • Solve the equation in the first part of the clue (8 ounces in a cup times 16 cups in a gallon = 128) and tack it on to the end of the provided URL for a chance to buy our world-famous, totally worthless Bag o' Crap. 
  • In this example above, the full solution is: http://www.woot.com/offers/XXXXXXXXX128
  • Even if the crappy prize is in your shopping cart, you need to check out before somebody snags it from underneath you, so:
  • HAVE YOUR PAYMENT INFO LOADED, AND CHECK OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN

Is it a little complicated? Maybe. Is it a total waste of your precious time? Definitely. But humanity's intellectual future hangs in the balance. 

We'll be updating this blog post to answer common questions and deal with our inevitable boo-boos, so check back from time to time. 

SOME ALREADY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: 

How many B.O.C.s are attached to each clue? 

Does the B.O.C. disappear when the product sells out? 
Nope, it sticks around until folks find it. 

I don't like math
Sorry. Luckily you don't need to do much of it to succeed at this game.  

UPDATEZ: 

6/17, 1 AM
WHEEEEEeeeeeee here we go. We didn't anticipate the URL getting cut off in the description, so here's a tip: Check it in the BLOG entry for the item, and you should see the whole thing. 

Quality Posts

thumperchick

quality posts: 248 Private Messages thumperchick

So, each formula leads to its own, single Board of Circuits sale link?
If you solve the formula first, you get crap - if you solve it 2nd, you get nothing?

Do I have that right?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Fwoosh.

Math is NOT my game. I leave it to the pros, but I'll be content to watch!

Say, who's our DJ for this party?

annwat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages annwat

nice - this should be fun!

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

So they can be anywhere? and do you add the "x";s in the link? lol

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

angelgirl5004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angelgirl5004

Is a specific puzzle active only until that item is sold out?

khufu413

quality posts: 12 Private Messages khufu413

Anyone get the doctor one? Tried several combos from wiki and no luck. Second question: when the woot item sells out is the crap with the associated clue gone or will that particular batch remain until it sells out?

skemmis

quality posts: 16 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

khufu413 wrote:Anyone get the doctor one? Tried several combos from wiki and no luck. Second question: when the woot item sells out is the crap with the associated clue gone or will that particular batch remain until it sells out?

We had a little hiccup with that first one -- make sure the URL is in all lowercase. Going through and fixing the URLs now.

Second question: nope, the crap sticks around until somebody gets it

cyd420911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyd420911

I feel so cheated, woot made me do math and all i got was a re-route to this shirt.woot page http://shirt.woot.com/offers/orbital-model-of-the-carbon-atom

thumperchick

skemmis wrote:We had a little hiccup with that first one -- make sure the URL is in all lowercase. Going through and fixing the URLs now.

Second question: nope, the crap sticks around until somebody gets it

So, is it the first person, or first 2, or what?

mossygreen

quality posts: 73 Private Messages mossygreen

OK, wow, I have no chance at this game. Will I still play? Yup.

Dissonance

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Dissonance

31^4. Sold out.

sugarpike

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sugarpike

Great! Math is my Achilles heel. Now, if I had to diagram a sentence, or correct the spelling and grammar in a product write-up, I'd be hauling in the Board of Circuits!

bsmith1

quality posts: 106 Private Messages bsmith1
thumperchick wrote:So, is it the first person, or first 2, or what?

Look like 2 based on sales stats.

shortman

quality posts: 64 Private Messages shortman
bsmith1 wrote:Look like 2 based on sales stats.

Looks more like 3 to me, the states for the sales are two different colors, meaning different amounts sold in each state.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 42 Private Messages dernst_ca1
bsmith1 wrote:Look like 2 based on sales stats.

so what was the url?

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

Dissonance

dernst_ca1 wrote:so what was the url?

http://www.woot.com/offers/8fb1b67a444c46f2a9938fbd8ac06b7d923521

bsmith1

shortman wrote:Looks more like 3 to me, the states for the sales are two different colors, meaning different amounts sold in each state.

Wouldn't it need to be at least 4 to have a 50%-50% split?

shortman

dernst_ca1 wrote:so what was the url?

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 42 Private Messages dernst_ca1
shortman wrote:http://www.woot.com/offers/8fb1b67a444c46f2a9938fbd8ac06b7d923521

ah....

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

Dissonance

And is this another "you can only win once" (please!)?

Travisdoesmath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Travisdoesmath

I feel like I'm morally obligated to win a Box of Chips in this game

spunk115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spunk115

I know I wouldn't have gotten the answer in time, but...first clue, first screw-up? I enjoyed the hell out of the pirate map game, so I'm hoping for a good experience here too.

Travisdoesmath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Travisdoesmath

What/where was the first puzzle?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm good.

shortman

I hate trivia games. I've failed the first two games due to wrong solutions. I'm giving up. Have fun everyone.

dabills22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dabills22

Second puzzle's solutions = (1967) * (12) + (20)

Unfortunately, I figured these out too late

Dissonance

I've solved both, just not fast enough.

Avg =1967, 12 murders, 20 children.

http://www.woot.com/offers/b55001699b8e48e68aee7b7faf1ebe7323624

bsmith1

I got 1963 as the average year...search fail!

thumperchick

Ahem, I scored the 2nd round Board of Circuits!

alexxxz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages alexxxz

I guess the whole link isnt showing up for me?? all i see on it is "http://www.woot.com/offers/b55001699b8e" and I figured it out, but it wasnt working, so I assumed I was wrong. Where is the rest of the link you are seeing???

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq
thumperchick wrote:Ahem, I scored the 2nd round Board of Circuits!

Congrats... I totally missed the child part...

mossygreen

quality posts: 73 Private Messages mossygreen

Congratulations!

annwat

alexxxz wrote:I guess the whole link isnt showing up for me?? all i see on it is "http://www.woot.com/offers/b55001699b8e" and I figured it out, but it wasnt working, so I assumed I was wrong. Where is the rest of the link you are seeing???

i ran into the same issue with the first puzzle (using chrome). firefox seems to display the whole url front end. but you can also select more details and then do a copy down to/including discuss this deal and that should show give you the whole front end.

annwat

congrats!

clsscrockman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clsscrockman
alexxxz wrote:I guess the whole link isnt showing up for me?? all i see on it is "http://www.woot.com/offers/b55001699b8e" and I figured it out, but it wasnt working, so I assumed I was wrong. Where is the rest of the link you are seeing???

Had the same problem.

alexxxz

annwat wrote:i ran into the same issue with the first puzzle (using chrome). firefox seems to display the whole url front end. but you can also select more details and then do a copy down to/including discuss this deal and that should show give you the whole front end.

Thanks, I was going crazy trying to figure out what I was missing in my calculations, But instead it was Woot that was messing my stuff up!

jon98gn

quality posts: 26 Private Messages jon98gn

I told my best friend that one of his wedding gifts will be an unopened Box of Chips if I can get one. I hope I can score one.

\

bsmith1

annwat wrote:i ran into the same issue with the first puzzle (using chrome). firefox seems to display the whole url front end. but you can also select more details and then do a copy down to/including discuss this deal and that should show give you the whole front end.

Great...now I have more competition...thanks for spilling the beans...

annwat

bsmith1 wrote:Great...now I have more competition...thanks for spilling the beans...

sorry! everyone that saw my previous response please ignore it.

alexxxz

Another item no clue. Need to go to bed, But want to try one more REBOOT!