+ Add a Comment

omnichad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnichad
dernst_ca1 wrote:Exactly... I had the correct answers had the answers been correct.. as well

Yep - they're just pretending the wrong answers never happened, even though Board of Circuits sold out before the URL was changed. Only way to actually win is random guessing. I bet the same happened to the EasyShare URL in the last hour.

marceepauff

quality posts: 18 Private Messages marceepauff
bassman998 wrote:Wow. So it does. Would've been nice if it had worked when I tried that the first time.

Or the second. Or the third. Or the...

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps
Stwang wrote:So... the answers on most of these questions are wrong.. People come and comment here about them being wrong. Then the woot staff randomly updates it to the correct answer link. Then a late comer that happens to enter the answer after its fixed wins instead of the first people.

This is ridiculous. The fastest ppl loose. No point in sticking around for this.

Unfortunately that seems to be an accurate assessment! Fudgesicles.

Speed to First Woot:
0m 24.777s

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

bsmith1

quality posts: 111 Private Messages bsmith1
Stwang wrote:
This is ridiculous. The fastest ppl loose. No point in sticking around for this.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 22 Private Messages BelyndaG
dernst_ca1 wrote:Exactly... I had the correct answers had the answers been correct.. as well

Me, too, also, as well. Urgh! Three times now. I'm willing to believe that I had a glitch in my URL once or twice, but not every time.

I have things to do. Guess I need to give up for now. No fun.

omnichad

Stwang wrote:So... the answers on most of these questions are wrong.. People come and comment here about them being wrong. Then the woot staff randomly updates it to the correct answer link. Then a late comer that happens to enter the answer after its fixed wins instead of the first people.

I think it's worse than that. The latecomers don't win. People are randomly adding/subtracting numbers from one or more parameters to arrive at the "correct" answer by chance. Those people win.

Jertyrael

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Jertyrael

I felt like I got the correct answer as physically fast as possible (without having knowing the answers off hand), was the first to say that the answer didn't seem to work... and to find out that someone said that they changed the accumulated ages to 206 to find the right link, then they updated the right link? And it's all sold out? A bit off-putting.

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps
lichme wrote:Yeah, seems like a lot of time wasted for many people. Please precheck all answers before putting up any new clues.

Whoops, we were warned about this in the announcement!

"Is it a little complicated? Maybe. Is it a total waste of your precious time? Definitely. But humanity's intellectual future hangs in the balance."

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Ha ha.. you are a bunch of whining pansies. This is easily as fun as the last Crapword game they did. If you don't have the time, don't hang out. And certainly if you're going to complain the whole time, go away, nobody needs that.

It doesn't matter if they get one or two wrong along the way... people are still figuring them out, so it's not a biggie.

And complaining about obscure references is just 386ic.. that's the point of this type of game.

Sheesh people!

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Group Hug

It sucks for all the people trying, but it sucks for woot too. Errors are bound to happen, and they are doing what they can to correct it. The thought of missing a Board of Circuits that you may have (but probably didn't) win stinks.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

Linad

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Linad
cycokiller wrote:Ha ha.. you are a bunch of whining pansies. This is easily as fun as the last Crapword game they did. If you don't have the time, don't hang out. And certainly if you're going to complain the whole time, go away, nobody needs that.

It doesn't matter if they get one or two wrong along the way... people are still figuring them out, so it's not a biggie.

And complaining about obscure references is just 386ic.. that's the point of this type of game.

Sheesh people!

marceepauff

cycokiller wrote:Ha ha.. you are a bunch of whining pansies. This is easily as fun as the last Crapword game they did. If you don't have the time, don't hang out. And certainly if you're going to complain the whole time, go away, nobody needs that.

(And from where I'm sitting, this has happened with 3 of the last 4 questions; how hard would it have been to just send these out to the office and have them double checked first?)

Sheesh people!

It's not about wasting time with the questions -- but if we're going to be bothered looking up the RIGHT answers, we should be rewarded. Guessing random numbers is about as much fun as watching paint dry. The crapword was pretty cool cause they were words that answered questions and it worked. Some of these questions are ultimately looking for random answers. What's the fun in that?

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 44 Private Messages RobinBobcat
lichme wrote:Group Hug

It sucks for all the people trying, but it sucks for woot too. Errors are bound to happen, and they are doing what they can to correct it. The thought of missing a Board of Circuits that you may have (but probably didn't) win stinks.

Dont' rage. Post hugs.

Oh, and I'll note that TT has said that if they DO make a mistake, the first two people to point it out will get Very Special Messages in their inbox...

Meow

Go Squarryls!

StrykerNinja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrykerNinja

Sheesh people!

Figuring out and guessing are TWO distinctly different things. I am fine with missing out and playing the game, but when the urls get changed later to reflect what everyone here already found out, then it goes to show there is some funny business going on

omnichad

Sheesh people!

Complaining about complaining seems to be even more annoying.

jon98gn

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jon98gn
Jertyrael wrote:I felt like I got the correct answer as physically fast as possible (without having knowing the answers off hand), was the first to say that the answer didn't seem to work... and to find out that someone said that they changed the accumulated ages to 206 to find the right link, then they updated the right link? And it's all sold out? A bit off-putting.

The work I did
(56 (Lincoln) + 49 (Garfield) + 58 (McKinley) + 46) * 17 Cantos = 3553. I believe you referenced me as the one who randomly started changing numbers. That was my original work and since the link did not work I started randomly subtracting numbers. I then subtracted 3 to get 3502 and when I got there I saw a sold out bag and noted it in the forums. Then apparently someone said they corrected the link back to 3553??? which is now sold out. So basically it sold out at 3502, which was a bad link? and then they corrected it to 3553 the correct answer which was sold out?

I'm confused, because I keep on seeing bad numbers being used like the earlier game of thrones 6 published books etc...

\

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
omnichad wrote:Complaining about complaining seems to be even more annoying.

are you complaining about complaining about complaining ?

my head hurts

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
RobinBobcat wrote:Dont' rage. Post hugs.

Like this?

RobinBobcat

omnichad wrote:Complaining about complaining seems to be even more annoying.

What about complaining about complaining about complaining...?

Meow

Go Squarryls!

foodguru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foodguru

I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW WOOT IS CHEATING AT THIS GAME THEY ARE PLAYING.

THEY KNOW THAT THE FIRST PAGES THAT COME UP WHEN PEOPLE GOOGLE QUESTIONS ARE WIKIPEDIA PAGES. THEY ACTUALLY WENT INTO THOSE PAGES EDITED THEM AND ENTERED FALSE DATA. ANYONE CAN DO IT. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, CHECK THE ASSASSINATED PRESIDENTS PAGE. IT NOW SAYS LINCOLN DIED IN 1962.

THIS IS JUST BULL S***.

Roy33sakic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Roy33sakic

Figures, I went with the wrong width to start with - by the time I put in the "most popular" route's width, it was too late...

cycokiller

Some of the URLs that appear to be sold out when you hit them with a [seemingly] correct answer are actually really old ones. I took a look at one of the last ones and noticed that a URL a lot of folks came up with (including me) was from a Board of Circuits sale back in 2011 (or 2009, couldn't tell 100%).

It's kinda crazy that we're coming up with random numbers that just happen to be real addresses. But I guess that's bound to happen eventually when you have thousands of URLs on your site that will never go away.

omnichad

Current distance to the moon, perigee, apogee, or average?

Narrowest width of the strait?

Roy33sakic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Roy33sakic
cycokiller wrote:Some of the URLs that appear to be sold out when you hit them with a [seemingly] correct answer are actually really old ones. I took a look at one of the last ones and noticed that a URL a lot of folks came up with (including me) was from a Board of Circuits sale back in 2011 (or 2009, couldn't tell 100%).

It's kinda crazy that we're coming up with random numbers that just happen to be real addresses. But I guess that's bound to happen eventually when you have thousands of URLs on your site that will never go away.

haha, you're right.

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 45 Private Messages dernst_ca1

Straights of Dover are 18 to 25 miles wide..
Woot used 21 miles wide

which I figured out too late

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

RobinBobcat

Aaaaand poop. Was busy posting, missed the Bag. Got the answer right, though. Used miles, if it helps.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

StrykerNinja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StrykerNinja
cycokiller wrote:Some of the URLs that appear to be sold out when you hit them with a [seemingly] correct answer are actually really old ones. I took a look at one of the last ones and noticed that a URL a lot of folks came up with (including me) was from a Board of Circuits sale back in 2011 (or 2009, couldn't tell 100%).

I can believe that, still doesn't provide why the president one went from 3502 to 3553...

cycokiller

Blast! I used kilometers first.. cause it kinda made more sense ;)

emosley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emosley
RobinBobcat wrote:
Oh, and I'll note that TT has said that if they DO make a mistake, the first two people to point it out will get Very Special Messages in their inbox...

Here's hoping!

omnichad

dernst_ca1 wrote:Straights of Dover are 18 to 25 miles wide..
Woot used 21 miles wide

which I figured out too late

Isn't the shortest width 3.75 miles???

jon98gn

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jon98gn

Apparently I was too busy sharpening my pitchfork and missed out on the Dover one too.

Doh!

\

RobinBobcat

omnichad wrote:Isn't the shortest width 3.75 miles???

Re-read that Wiki article.. it's saying the closest spot is 3.75 miles from Dover, not 3.75 miles across..

Meow

Go Squarryls!

emasters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emasters
RobinBobcat wrote:Oh, and I'll note that TT has said that if they DO make a mistake, the first two people to point it out will get Very Special Messages in their inbox...

That's not true. I was one of the first two to point out that rambo was wrong and I got nothing.

RobinBobcat

cycokiller wrote:Blast! I used kilometers first.. cause it kinda made more sense ;)

Well, given that it's a ratio, it shouldn't make that much difference... until you hit the rounding.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

cycokiller

Huh, I might like this game a little more than that last Crapword. They're both pretty fun though!

RobinBobcat

emasters wrote:That's not true. I was one of the first two to point out that rambo was wrong and I got nothing.

ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all. Could you do me a favor? Pretty please? With whip cream on top?

Could you post your Crapschmidt posts over in the World of Woot thread?

Reason is that Sam, the creator, is watching that thread for feedback and issues as they arise. He can't check every product thread and get his job done too. He has writing to do!

We'd appreciate your help. Plus, if there is a booboo in a clue, the first two people that report it in THAT thread, get a special Private Message from Sam. But only if you post in that thread.

So let's use the product threads for talking about the product and posting cute cat/dog pictures.

Also, you might not have got anything yet...

Meow

Go Squarryls!

omnichad

So which moon distance did they go with? Perigee, apogee, today's distance, or average? Makes kind of a big difference.

kanedag1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kanedag1
cycokiller wrote:Blast! I used kilometers first.. cause it kinda made more sense ;)

Came to say this... Miles? Really?

RobinBobcat

kanedag1 wrote:Came to say this... Miles? Really?

Woot IS located in the US.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

marceepauff

jon98gn wrote:Apparently I was too busy sharpening my pitchfork and missed out on the Dover one too.

Doh!

Can I borrow your sharpener?

Also @emasters - I think they were looking for PM's or emails -- not complaints in the thread. But who knows?