+ Add a Comment

everwondering

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everwondering

I'm so sorry this is turning into one giant headache for many, but don't give up hope! I was able to get a Board of Circuits even after almost pulling my hair out this morning because no matter what I tried on a few of them, I couldn't get them to work (my math was wrong on at least 2 for sure--forgot about the order of operations). Same with last night. Add a fussy 4 month old baby into that mix, and I was ready to just give up and walk away. Now, obviously, I'm soooooo glad I didn't.

Crossing my fingers for the rest of you!

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
omnichad wrote:So which moon distance did they go with? Perigee, apogee, today's distance, or average? Makes kind of a big difference.

The one that shows up in big numbers when you google "distance to the moon." Don't try to outsmart Woot on these, you will succeed.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
omnichad wrote:So which moon distance did they go with? Perigee, apogee, today's distance, or average? Makes kind of a big difference.

Now that I think of it, they never specified WHICH moon... it's not like we're the only special planet with a moon in our universe (if it even is OUR universe [WooOOooOOoo]).

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

wooting4keeps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooting4keeps
skemmis wrote:We messed up on that Rambo one, guys. Should have specified that it was people killed by RAMBO, not killed total. I've PMed the first two folks who corrected us with crappy URLs. Thanks for your diligence!

See above. As of 3 hours ago, the two people who first mentioned the Rambo mistake have been PMed, per Skemmis.

• First Woot: 08/21/2012
  • First Barge Of Carp: 04/24/2013
  • Second Box of Chips: Coming soon.
  • Total Woots as of 6/19/2013: 47
  • Dollars spent: $2000+

strauss1991

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strauss1991

This may already have been covered a few times... First, I understand that viewing the full link numbers from the hints isn't working and so we are to check the blog. I want to point out that copying (double-cluck+ctr+c) does NOT copy all the digits on the item page.

Second, are these hints only in the main woot items or can they show up in any of the pages with a woot-off?

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525

I google'd distance to the moon and in , right at the top, it said 238,900 miles and used that / 21 miles...which worked!

MarzieO

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarzieO
MarzieO wrote:Did the math correctly, but I keep getting a 404 message-page not found. And yes, I used the link from the blog....going back to bed now, as my odds of scoring a Board of Circuits are even worse than usual, apparently

And once again, with the "distance to the moon in Straits-of-Dover widths"...that's the third time today that I've had the right answer but got skunked by a 404 error.

I love you, Woot, but you're killing me...

Herding Cats and takin' names, every day...

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 35 Private Messages dernst_ca1
RobinBobcat wrote:Well, given that it's a ratio, it shouldn't make that much difference... until you hit the rounding.

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

kanedag1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kanedag1
RobinBobcat wrote:Woot IS located in the US.

Yea, but, but... Science!

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

Dernit.. Right again, but just missed it.. 4264

Meow

Go Squarryls!

Jertyrael

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Jertyrael

Argh! I managed to hit the stupidly large button and my order got denied D:

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

RobinBobcat

strauss1991 wrote:This may already have been covered a few times... First, I understand that viewing the full link numbers from the hints isn't working and so we are to check the blog. I want to point out that copying (double-cluck+ctr+c) does NOT copy all the digits on the item page.

Second, are these hints only in the main woot items or can they show up in any of the pages with a woot-off?

Your control-c-click may be being thrown off by the line-break.

Also, the Bags are a Vanilla Woot only thing... None of the other sites have ever had them, or participated in the insanity that is these challenges.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

omnichad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnichad
aramis525 wrote:I google'd distance to the moon and in , right at the top, it said 238,900 miles and used that / 21 miles...which worked!

That's still 6,231 miles off from the current distance to the moon. It didn't say average.

bassman998

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassman998

I think the answer should have been 5330. 1066 for the years of the invasion, of course. For NHL teams, currently the Ducks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Penguins. Plus, the St. Louis Eagles in 1931-32.

lichme

quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Detroit Falcons
St Louis Eagles
Anaheim Ducks
Anaheim Mighty Ducks
Pitsburg Penguins
Atlanta Thrashers

5330, or 6396 if you count the ducks twice

aramis525

omnichad wrote:That's still 6,231 miles off from the current distance to the moon. It didn't say average.

Don't know what to tell ya. All I did was highlight "Distance to Moon", right clicked and selected Search with Google (whilst using Chrome) and that is what showed up.

I then went to my 2nd screen, punched in 238,900 into my windows calculator, hit the little slash and punched in 21.

THEN, I went back to my 1st screen, clicked on the tab that has woot.com and pasted the url found in the blog (Oh yeah, I forgot that I had copied the url before hand) and entered the number that my windows calculator spit out to me and **POOF** Board of Circuits

UFSanity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages UFSanity
bassman998 wrote:I think the answer should have been 5330. 1066 for the years of the invasion, of course. For NHL teams, currently the Ducks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Penguins. Plus, the St. Louis Eagles in 1931-32.

Blackhawks and Red Wings not named for birds. Add in Thrashers, which you missed.

cycokiller

bassman998 wrote:I think the answer should have been 5330. 1066 for the years of the invasion, of course. For NHL teams, currently the Ducks, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Penguins. Plus, the St. Louis Eagles in 1931-32.

Red Wings is a tire.. not an animal.

chefferz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefferz

oh well

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

nevermind

spin711

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spin711
UFSanity wrote:Blackhawks and Red Wings not named for birds. Add in Thrashers, which you missed.

The Blackhawks are named for an indigenous tribe not a bird

RobinBobcat

Bzzt! The Red Wings are just wings that are red, NOT Red Winged Blackbirds.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

lichme

Red Wings may not be a bird, but Falcons are

bassman998

RobinBobcat wrote:Bzzt! The Red Wings are just wings that are red, NOT Red Winged Blackbirds.

Ah. I was thinking Redwing blackbirds. As for the Blackhawks... I'm ashamed to have to say that I grew up in the Chicago area, and therefore should have known that.

RobinBobcat

I counted the Blackhawks, but didn't count the Thrashers... and got the right number anyway...

Meow

Go Squarryls!

cycokiller

Sports is always my worst category when we play Trivial Pursuit at home

dernst_ca1

well now I have had three correct answers that should have worked.. one was due to an error in woot calculations, the other two were because I was too fast and the urls didn't work and so I went back to calculating and then referred back to the forum only to find out that the answer and URL I provided WERE correct but the url's were not active yet.. so sold out..

-JMHSRV

donperros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donperros

I get the same as lichme:

Detroit Falcons
St. Louis Eagles
Anaheim Ducks and Mighty Ducks
Pittsburgh Penguins
Atlanta Thrashers

5330 or 6396, depending upon how many times you count the Ducks.

aramis525

OOPPSSS

jon98gn

quality posts: 20 Private Messages jon98gn
dernst_ca1 wrote:well now I have had three correct answers that should have worked.. one was due to an error in woot calculations, the other two were because I was too fast and the urls didn't work and so I went back to calculating and then referred back to the forum only to find out that the answer and URL I provided WERE correct but the url's were not active yet.. so sold out..

Join the club. I doubt you are alone.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

RobinBobcat wrote:Also, the Bags are a Vanilla Woot only thing... None of the other sites have ever had them

That's not totally true, we've hidden bags all over the place from time to time. But I know this game's main Woot-only this time.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

dernst_ca1

donperros wrote:I get the same as lichme:

Detroit Falcons
St. Louis Eagles
Pittsburgh Penguins
Atlanta Thrashers

sorry posted to the wrong reply

-JMHSRV

dernst_ca1

Slydon wrote:That's not totally true, we've hidden bags all over the place from time to time. But I know this game's main Woot-only this time.

True - when the watches site popped up there was a bag.. that I missed

-JMHSRV

lichme

I was told the Detroit Falcons were not NHL. I believe otherwise

dernst_ca1

donperros wrote:I get the same as lichme:

Detroit Falcons
St. Louis Eagles
Pittsburgh Penguins
Atlanta Thrashers

1066*4=4264

http://www.woot.com/offers/6b95dcb58053428385713f068dc618f14264

-JMHSRV

lichme

dernst_ca1 wrote:1066*4=4264

http://www.woot.com/offers/6b95dcb58053428385713f068dc618f14264

There are 5 (or 6) teams above.

foodguru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foodguru
StrykerNinja wrote:I can believe that, still doesn't provide why the president one went from 3502 to 3553...

Its because Woot isn't playing fair, in fact, they are down right cheating. They know that most people are Googling the questions. Google always displays Wikipedia first. Wickipedia allows anyone that has a login, to edit the text on their pages. It is obvious that Woot ordered their staff to go in and change dates and number values to prevent people from winning. I can only guess that cheating like this didn't happen before the Vulture Capitalist at Amazon bought out Woot to bleed it dry.

bassman998

lichme wrote:I was told the Detroit Falcons were not NHL. I believe otherwise

According to Wikipedia, the Red Wings were called the Falcons from 1930-1932 (as part of the NHL). So that's what I was talking about when I said the Red Wings were named after a bird. Really. I swear. ;-)

thurmanite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thurmanite
foodguru wrote:Its because Woot isn't playing fair, in fact, they are down right cheating. They know that most people are Googling the questions. Google always displays Wikipedia first. Wickipedia allows anyone that has a login, to edit the text on their pages. It is obvious that Woot ordered their staff to go in and change dates and number values to prevent people from winning. I can only guess that cheating like this didn't happen before the Vulture Capitalist at Amazon bought out Woot to bleed it dry.

Roy33sakic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Roy33sakic

foodguru, I think you may be a bit paranoid there.

Odds are, they realized their mistake and edited the url to prevent others (who hadn't solved it, or may be solving it later for fun) from not being able to find the right url and frustrating even more people.

They're humans, too - just have fun with this!