WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP Laptops & 1 All-In-One

With a laptop, you'll be able to work from home! That'll make it easier for you to pick up all the jobs you forgot to do while you were at work. Hey, it happens sometimes.

apteachr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apteachr

Actually, I think keyboard size is most important- especially if you want to be able to type FAST and ACCURATELY. Thatis my main complaint with the iPad- can't feel keys and they are closer than they should be, so Iam down to 2 fingers typing, really.

mikeseiler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeseiler

Its not screen SIZE that's so important as screen RESOLUTION.

What I mean is that you can fit more windows/stuff on a higher resolution screen.

Now, this assumes your eyes are good enough to make out every pixel.

In any case, screen resolution is the first, last and only thing I look at when deciding if a laptop is a good deal. I obviously prefer full HD (1080p) screens as my main machine.

I know higher resolution screens are more expensive, but to me it's a real head scratcher why there are not more full HD laptops. It could be that not everyone is a power worker like I am .

ssih

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssih

I'd honestly pay extra for a larger lower-resolution monitor. I'd like the 17", but the 15.6" has a lower resolution, which means that the text is going to be more easily readable. Maybe if I still had 15-year-old eyes, I might feel differently.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

last time the butterfly one was offered, I bought it. It is very pretty... kind of heavy considering how light laptops are now, and it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's very girly.. I like it

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

alohawoot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alohawoot1

So many of these laptops say they are "refurbished" - if there was something wrong with them in the first place, are they any good after they've been "fixed/worked on/redone"?

nick2001deuce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nick2001deuce

Newegg had been selling this for $499. Even though this model has been discontinued, you probably will see it come around again for $499 or less.

redidas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redidas
alohawoot1 wrote:So many of these laptops say they are "refurbished" - if there was something wrong with them in the first place, are they any good after they've been "fixed/worked on/redone"?

It's tough to say. Most refurbs as I understand it are open items sent back that had to be checked for flaws, or minor hardware issues that were fixed. I haven't had any experience with HP refurbs yet, but I know other companies' refurbs are generally in like-new-condition. You wouldn't know they're a refurb unless you were told by someone.

I went in on the Folio 13. Its a walmart version of a highly rated pc ultrabook from a little over 1.5 years ago (a review for the machine its based off of here. The main difference is the reviewed unit has an i5 while woot's has an i3: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/3/2677280/hp-folio-13-review).

All I figure is that there must be a ton of em out there if they were built specifically for walmart. Even though its an older chip, it has a lot of high-end features for $380.

acrizer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acrizer
alohawoot1 wrote:So many of these laptops say they are "refurbished" - if there was something wrong with them in the first place, are they any good after they've been "fixed/worked on/redone"?

I'm not sure if this is pessimism or optimism...

Something was going to go wrong with your new laptop. In this case, it happened to someone else and the one you get is already fixed. It's better than new, all those other new ones are teetering on the same failure.

Wagnbat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Wagnbat

With some things, I tend to buy refurbs... Such as my last 4 laptops. Have had great success with all, with the latest being an Alienware M14x from the dell outlet for about $650. Awesome little beastie, about 1/3 of the price of ordering new.

The issue with refurbs, is you never know what you are going to get. A refurb is simply an item that has been refurbished. The level of refurbishment is unknown to the buyer and sometimes even to the seller. Simply put, however, whatever the issue was, should have been fixed, regardless of how minor or complex. But given that sometimes the seller doesn't know what was fixed or maybe what to look for to fix, you may not always get a 100% product, despite "refurb" status indicating that a product should be 100%.

With a company like Dell, I would be confident to assume that any product that was refurbished was indeed 100%, because every time a unit is returned to them, they lose money on it. A unit sold as new can not be sold again as new if it was opened. So if Dell sells a $2000 laptop and someone sends it back for whatever reason, Dell can not sell it as new again, hence I got it for $650.

Essentially Dell sold two $2000 laptops here, but only got $2650 plus they had to eat the cost of the repairs, shipping, and...?

Did it actually require fixing? I will never know.

So it's a risk... But if you are cautious about who you buy refurbs from (and do your research), they can be AWESOME deals.

pragmatist007

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pragmatist007

I have bought nothing but HP refurb desktops (3 and counting) for the last several years, and have never had a minutes problem with any of them.

I should expect that the refurb laptops would be similar in consistency.

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86

Woot ran previously similar sale:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5442767

I got a Folio 13 and it has been doing great. Looks to me as a new set just that with different warranty.

I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB and it works just fine. You may need a BIOS/UEFI update should you experience instability running 8GB of RAM.

A steal for such price.

Beware that the BIOS is locked. You cannot change the Wifi card to something like Killer N1102.

KcasMij

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KcasMij

Of my laptops the most common one I use is still my 11.6" Core 2 solo processor with a resolution of 1366 by 768.... I find the resolution to be perfect for most general tasks... if I need to be a "power worker" I plug my HDMI cable into a 42 inch 1080 p tv... Almost all of these laptops would be capable of multiple monitor support...

I do agree with the other respondent who said find the keyboard that works best for your hands. I don't think there is any more important factor in a laptop than if you can use it for the tasks you most often use it for.

mikeseiler wrote:Its not screen SIZE that's so important as screen RESOLUTION.

What I mean is that you can fit more windows/stuff on a higher resolution screen.

Now, this assumes your eyes are good enough to make out every pixel.

In any case, screen resolution is the first, last and only thing I look at when deciding if a laptop is a good deal. I obviously prefer full HD (1080p) screens as my main machine.

I know higher resolution screens are more expensive, but to me it's a real head scratcher why there are not more full HD laptops. It could be that not everyone is a power worker like I am .

cedick

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cedick

I always buy refurbished Macbook Pro and I have never had a problem with them. It could be someone didn't like the computer or dropped it. My previous mac had case damage so I think it was dropped but worked great for three years. I have had my current refurbished for two years. I have no problem with refurbished.

brensmartusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brensmartusa

Looking at the specifications would this laptop be fast? I love the look of it but I do want it to be faster than my netbook...

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
brensmartusa wrote:Looking at the specifications would this laptop be fast? I love the look of it but I do want it to be faster than my netbook...

You should mention the laptop. This discussion thread is for all the items in this sale.

countdown

redidas wrote:I went in on the Folio 13. Its a walmart version of a highly rated pc ultrabook from a little over 1.5 years ago
[...]
Even though its an older chip, it has a lot of high-end features for $380.

I also went in for one. Hoping I won't notice the slower chip. My current laptop is 7 years old so there's no way I can't improve. But my desktop has one of the best processors on the market (i7 2600K I bought a year ago and the price has gone **UP** $50)... so we'll see.

I wonder if I could open it up and replace the processor? Don't do much modifying of laptops, but assuming the sockets are the same, why not? Anyone know?

Worst Case: throw linux on there and it will be plenty fast. Or strip it for the SSD.

EDIT: Found the following pdf which is pretty informative. You could probably get away with replacing the system board with the i5 version assuming you are a little technical. The i5 board goes for about $125 before shipping (was the cheapest I found). The replacement part number is in the pdf; if you cant find it, you probably shouldn't be modifying your machine...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03177433.pdf

redidas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redidas
countdown wrote:I also went in for one. Hoping I won't notice the slower chip. My current laptop is 7 years old so there's no way I can't improve.

[...]

The i5 board goes for about $125 before shipping [...]

Regarding the Folio, even though its a previous-gen i3, and an ultra-low-voltage version, it should be a huge step up from a 7 year old laptop.

Office, web, video, and light video/picture editing should be just fine.

I don't know if switching to the i5 board would be worth it really - at that point you're $500 in on a laptop, and could probably find a laptop with a newer i5 in it (although probably not one with an SSD as well...) That and I don't know that the i3 to i5 difference will be too noticeable.

You may want to consider removing all the pre-installed apps right away though, and setting the windows 7 theme to Basic. It removes transparency and other things that will make windows feel slow, but it will still look like Windows 7.

countdown

redidas wrote:Regarding the Folio, even though its a previous-gen i3, and an ultra-low-voltage version, it should be a huge step up from a 7 year old laptop.

Office, web, video, and light video/picture editing should be just fine.

I don't know if switching to the i5 board would be worth it really - at that point you're $500 in on a laptop, and could probably find a laptop with a newer i5 in it (although probably not one with an SSD as well...) That and I don't know that the i3 to i5 difference will be too noticeable.

You may want to consider removing all the pre-installed apps right away though, and setting the windows 7 theme to Basic. It removes transparency and other things that will make windows feel slow, but it will still look like Windows 7.

Thanks for the tip. Ya, I was just considering my options. I would only really even bother if the speed was *really* bugging me. But like you said for most applications it should be more than ample (I have a proper desktop for my hardcore games).

Funny you mention about cleaning up the OS apps. I was just gonna remove the version it comes with and install my 32-bit windows 7 professional that I got for free when I was a comp-sci university student (the 64-bit version I got is running on my desktop, but since the laptop is only 4Gb ram, I see no issues going 32-bit). That way it just doesn't come with any bloatware (beyond what windows already is) since it's straight from Microsoft.

Plus I am definitely at least going to dual boot it with linux, so whatever ;).

nyurbiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyurbiz

I've come to believe that nearly everything HP makes is poop, including laptops. My last HP device to fail was my PSC 2170xi printer, which failed today! The most expensive my Pavilion DV7-1273cl laptop. Crap out of the box with a failed DVD drive, poorly designed power connected which failed after 2 months, 2 failed power adapters. All for over $1000 at Costco. No, thank you, I won't be sending them any more money. True story.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
ssih wrote:I'd honestly pay extra for a larger lower-resolution monitor. I'd like the 17", but the 15.6" has a lower resolution, which means that the text is going to be more easily readable. Maybe if I still had 15-year-old eyes, I might feel differently.

You should opt for the highest resolution available. You can enlarge text by right clicking on the desktop, click on 'screen resolution' then on the window that pops up, click on 'make text and other items larger or smaller'

countdown

nyurbiz wrote:I've come to believe that nearly everything HP makes is poop, including laptops. My last HP device to fail was my PSC 2170xi printer, which failed today! The most expensive my Pavilion DV7-1273cl laptop. Crap out of the box with a failed DVD drive, poorly designed power connected which failed after 2 months, 2 failed power adapters. All for over $1000 at Costco. No, thank you, I won't be sending them any more money. True story.

Maybe it is just a sign of the times, but I have not had this experience in the past (but have not made any purchases from HP in a while). My old family printer, and old deskjet, still works and it's probably been over 10 years (my parents wish it wouldnt).

Also, my aforementioned 7-year old laptop was also HP and it is still running today. I did have to replace the screen after about 3 years though (which I did with a used component at a local shop). I do know how to extend and maintain computer hardware possibly better than most, but I am no engineer.

These are all old though, not sure how recently you got your items, but I have had many friends with HP items without such bad luck.

Anyway, don't mean to belittle your trouble. Just trying to offer another view. HP is a fairly successful company too, so they have the benefit of being easily serviced since so many people own them.

countdown

danwat1234 wrote:You should opt for the highest resolution available. You can enlarge text by right clicking on the desktop, click on 'screen resolution' then on the window that pops up, click on 'make text and other items larger or smaller'

This ^^

Big images drawn with more pixels are better than big images drawn with a few pixels.

hktnyy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hktnyy

I just received my hp 14" blue laptop yesterday and the webcam does not work. It states that webcam cannot be found. I tried reloading the driver but to no avail. Looks to be a hardware issue. This is my first refurbished purchase - never again. Is anyone else having a problem with their HP refurbished purchase? Woot sent me to HP for the issue so this is shaping up to be a long drawn out ordeal.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hktnyy wrote:I just received my hp 14" blue laptop yesterday and the webcam does not work. It states that webcam cannot be found. I tried reloading the driver but to no avail. Looks to be a hardware issue. This is my first refurbished purchase - never again. Is anyone else having a problem with their HP refurbished purchase? Woot sent me to HP for the issue so this is shaping up to be a long drawn out ordeal.

Sorry for the problem. HP should be able to help you figure it out. If you have problems along the way, contact support@woot.com with all the information to see what options they suggest.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

marshallram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marshallram

I received my HP dm4-3099se beats edition. Worked for about an hour and then the sound quit working. I tried updates, resets, drivers etc. After a system restore it worked for about 10 seconds, cut in and out and then no sound again. A search online showed many other people with the same problem without any resolution from HP. HP assistance is a joke the website and on board troubleshooting just takes you in circles. I have contacted Woot. Hopefully I am in a refund period. Kinda funny that the laptop that supposedly has great sound doesn't have any at all. BTW even when the sound did work, the Beats edition was nothing special. It sounded the same as any other laptop.