zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

Item: HP ENVY Six-Core Desktop w/ 10GB RAM
Price: $469.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/18/2013 - $449.99 (Woot-off) - 34 comment(s)
6/7/2013 - $469.99 - 61 comment(s)
6/4/2013 - $449.99 - 111 comment(s)
5/13/2013 - $469.99 - 45 comment(s)

6/7/2013 - $450.00 (Woot Plus)

jthebird1977

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jthebird1977

bought this one in May.

Couple of thoughts. I tried to go into windows 8 with an open mind. I am getting used to the tiles with updated info in them, but i really don't like not having a start menu. That is a Win 8 problem though

I've noticed that the yellow lights of the three discs on the front that indicate computer activity never stop. Is that because windows 8 never stops updating or is there a problem with the stock programs/apps?

So far, don't regret my purchase. Happy with the computer for work.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

sjlee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjlee

So, same one that was for sale yesterday, but more expensive?

EDIT: Here are the differences...

1. Faster processor (AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz vs. AMD FX-6120 3.5GHz)

2. Better graphics card (Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 2GB DDR3 vs. AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB DDR3)

3. Bigger hard drive (1.5 TB vs. 1 TB)

I guess not a bad deal for only $20 more.

2-time Random Crap purchaser

jcps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcps

I just priced out the components of this, it appears to be a pretty good deal, however, with another $100 or so, you could get a much better machine with gaming in mind.

tomsspa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomsspa

Is it called the "ENVY" because when you own one, you envy others that have another brand computer?

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
jcps wrote:you could do much better with just a little more.

Um...what? Do you mean that you could do much more with the PC if it had a little better in the way of specs? Or get much more PC with a little more money?

jmackinac

So tempted as my dog just knocked over my pavilion and it won't boot...it'll power up, but just to the generic screen and no further. Where do I start with the trouble shooting? Hard Drive?

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 38 Private Messages dernst_ca1
jmackinac wrote:So tempted as my dog just knocked over my pavilion and it won't boot...it'll power up, but just to the generic screen and no further. Where do I start with the trouble shooting? Hard Drive?

open it up and see if anything came loose.

-JMHSRV

jcps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcps
jmackinac wrote:Um...what? Do you mean that you could do much more with the PC if it had a little better in the way of specs? Or get much more PC with a little more money?

My first post was vague, I edited it. If you built your own, and dropped the ram to 8 gigs, which is more than enough, and got a better graphics card, you could do better, gaming wise.

jmackinac

dernst_ca1 wrote:open it up and see if anything came loose.

Totally did that. Opened it and started un-doing connections and plugging them back in to make sure they are tight. Even did it while plugged in, so I could see all LED's and fans running. Something must have jarred loose and simply can't figure it out. Even pulled my entire hard drive out, which included a huge chassis to remove which wasn't easy, unplugged it's cables, plugged back in and still no boot. Argh.

jmackinac

jcps wrote:My first post was vague, I edited it. If you built your own, and dropped the ram to 8 gigs, which is more than enough, and got a better graphics card, you could do better, gaming wise.

Yeah, I'm lucky not to have too many requirements for high performance. I stopped gaming on my PC and moved all gaming to xbox. That said, I still always buy everything at the top end and it lasts me a few year.

gljin40517

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gljin40517

I bought the one from yesterday`s woot off....wish I had waited..this one has a faster processor,larger hard drive,better video card and bigger power supply....If ONLY I had known.Oh well....ce`st la vie

eliasbrown01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eliasbrown01
jcps wrote:My first post was vague, I edited it. If you built your own, and dropped the ram to 8 gigs, which is more than enough, and got a better graphics card, you could do better, gaming wise.

There is no such thing as more than enough RAM, especially for a desktop to use for gaming.

Myself, I wouldn't recommend this PC for gaming - better off getting something with a Core i5.

Just saying.

mitchloft

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft

Seriously, what's up with the Woot response times? Did they blow out their 33K modems and have to hook the old 2400Baud ones back up?

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

jorfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jorfrost
eliasbrown01 wrote:There is no such thing as more than enough RAM, especially for a desktop to use for gaming.

Myself, I wouldn't recommend this PC for gaming - better off getting something with a Core i5.

Just saying.

Yes, yes there is. No current generation of video games will ever use more than 4gb of DDR3 memory. Tack on windows using roughly 1, and anything over 6 for gaming is unnecessary. You'd be better off spending the money upping the speed instead of slapping new sticks in to get to 10.

And just FYI, there's a small chance you'll be handed a computer that will stop working after a day or two. I would hope these being refurbished means they fixed the issue. However the original version of these were shipped out with the first release of Windows 8, which conveniently didn't include all the files you need for this crappy six core processor to work. Again, hopefully by being refurbished they've installed a newer release of windows 8. But I wouldn't bet $400 on it.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
jorfrost wrote:Yes, yes there is. No current generation of video games will ever use more than 4gb of DDR3 memory. Tack on windows using roughly 1, and anything over 6 for gaming is unnecessary.

I agree. But there are other benefits of having lots of RAM. For a machine with mechanical HDD, the extra RAM could be turned into temporary, lightning fast storage. It would give users more open tabs in browsers. And of course it is a boon when it comes to media editing.

jorfrost

jmackinac wrote:So tempted as my dog just knocked over my pavilion and it won't boot...it'll power up, but just to the generic screen and no further. Where do I start with the trouble shooting? Hard Drive?

try spamming your f-keys during boot to get to the diagnostics. I think HP is F-1 but it's been a while. Usually the BIOS diagnostics will point to what's the issue. My bet would be the dog knocking it over while it was on caused damage to the moving components of your hard drive, and that's all you'd need to replace.

icemanrules5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icemanrules5

not a bad pc, but i would wipe that crappy windows 8 off and put win 7. 8 sucks

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 38 Private Messages dernst_ca1

At the rate these are flying off the shelves I thought I was at Wal-Mart on black friday

-JMHSRV

cjwonder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjwonder

STILL 80% after 45 minutes??

Come one wooters let's move this one along!!!

teevee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teevee

I feel like that hover-mouse is false advertising.

engineire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages engineire

Picked up the HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t (HP Quad-Core i7 Desktop w/ Blu-ray) last winter for $879 from woot and really really like it. I know it's more $$ but it may come back for those who want more power in a PC.

livedon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livedon

I completely disagree. Please lookup some RAMDISK vids up on YouTube. You can certainly use a LOT more than 4GB if you know what you are doing.

jorfrost wrote:Yes, yes there is. No current generation of video games will ever use more than 4gb of DDR3 memory. Tack on windows using roughly 1, and anything over 6 for gaming is unnecessary. You'd be better off spending the money upping the speed instead of slapping new sticks in to get to 10.

And just FYI, there's a small chance you'll be handed a computer that will stop working after a day or two. I would hope these being refurbished means they fixed the issue. However the original version of these were shipped out with the first release of Windows 8, which conveniently didn't include all the files you need for this crappy six core processor to work. Again, hopefully by being refurbished they've installed a newer release of windows 8. But I wouldn't bet $400 on it.

auctionsaver

quality posts: 19 Private Messages auctionsaver
jorfrost wrote:Yes, yes there is. No current generation of video games will ever use more than 4gb of DDR3 memory. Tack on windows using roughly 1, and anything over 6 for gaming is unnecessary. You'd be better off spending the money upping the speed instead of slapping new sticks in to get to 10.

It doesn't mean that your system won't. Please don't post disinformation if you actually don't know. By adding over 4gb, you are freeing up the memory that has to be cached on the storage drive which allows faster page swapping. Just because a game takes 2Gb of memory, doesn't mean it isn't accessing more within the page. And games do not run in isolation.

Anyone who has gone above 4gb of ram has seen the difference. And folks who studied computer science know this as well assuming you take a basic course on operating systems, processes and threads (and paid attention).

--

It actually looks like a decent PC. You could swap out the crappy card in the PCI-e x16 and put in something substantial, and it would be a decent gaming rig. It amazes me that you can do 6 cores at 3.8ghz. I still remember hitting that wall with the old P4s which is when they switched to multi-cores.

Even older games like COD BO 2 gave a significant improvement just going from 2 to 4 cores. interesting what 6 would do at that rate.

Real question is what they are going to do when they reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of core addition.

curlieq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curlieq

We bought this exact model for a workstation using AutoCAD two months ago for $700 at BB and it has been working flawlessly.

RFDuncan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RFDuncan
sjlee wrote:So, same one that was for sale yesterday, but more expensive?

EDIT: Here are the differences...

1. Faster processor (AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz vs. AMD FX-6120 3.5GHz)

2. Better graphics card (Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 2GB DDR3 vs. AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB DDR3)

3. Bigger hard drive (1.5 TB vs. 1 TB)

I guess not a bad deal for only $20 more.

Yeah f-ing SUCKS if you bought the last one thought.

hitched97

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hitched97

Available at newegg for $5 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256744

chippedliver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chippedliver

No open PCI Express x16 slot and 3 open X1's?

jorfrost

auctionsaver wrote:It doesn't mean that your system won't. Please don't post disinformation if you actually don't know. By adding over 4gb, you are freeing up the memory that has to be cached on the storage drive which allows faster page swapping. Just because a game takes 2Gb of memory, doesn't mean it isn't accessing more within the page. And games do not run in isolation.

livedon wrote:I completely disagree. Please lookup some RAMDISK vids up on YouTube. You can certainly use a LOT more than 4GB if you know what you are doing.

You two don't read much before you try to argue, do you.

Vulpecula

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Vulpecula

So tempting...

I just rebuilt mine 2 years ago (4x3.5GHZ, 8GB RAM) and I've gotten a couple of BSOD's in the past few days. Nothing a wipe/restore won't solve, but still. I can move my 2TB internal over to this one and have 3.5 TB internal, along with my 3TB external. Should last a while.

Vulpecula

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Vulpecula

So tempting...

I just rebuilt mine 2 years ago (4x3.5GHZ, 8GB RAM) and I've gotten a couple of BSOD's in the past few days. Nothing a wipe/restore won't solve, but still. I can move my 2TB internal over to this one and have 3.5 TB internal, along with my 3TB external. Should last a while.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Open it up and reseat the memory and all cables, cards, etc.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

jmackinac wrote:Totally did that. Opened it and started un-doing connections and plugging them back in to make sure they are tight. Even did it while plugged in, so I could see all LED's and fans running. Something must have jarred loose and simply can't figure it out. Even pulled my entire hard drive out, which included a huge chassis to remove which wasn't easy, unplugged it's cables, plugged back in and still no boot. Argh.

Could have damaged the hard drive if it was a good fall.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

mitchloft wrote:Seriously, what's up with the Woot response times? Did they blow out their 33K modems and have to hook the old 2400Baud ones back up?

Our dev team is looking into it. We're seeing it our end too.

FORUM MODERATOR

defjab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages defjab
jmackinac wrote:Totally did that. Opened it and started un-doing connections and plugging them back in to make sure they are tight. Even did it while plugged in, so I could see all LED's and fans running. Something must have jarred loose and simply can't figure it out. Even pulled my entire hard drive out, which included a huge chassis to remove which wasn't easy, unplugged it's cables, plugged back in and still no boot. Argh.

If you haven't already Try reseating the RAM. Since you had the forethough to crack the case, I'm guessing you tried this already. Any POST Beep codes you want to share? The only other thing I can think of is somehow a USB stick/device got plugged in and it's trying to boot off of that (Long shot / out there idea I know)

Janeykapri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Janeykapri

OK, forgive me if this has been answered before but are the Board of Circuits#39;s a thing of the past. I haven't see it in the last couple of Woot-Off's?

defjab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages defjab
ThunderThighs wrote:Open it up and reseat the memory and all cables, cards, etc.

Sorry for the double post, it didn't show up on the 2400 modems the forum was hooked into at the time