zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2845 Private Messages lichme

lichme

quality posts: 2845 Private Messages lichme

draigun

quality posts: 22 Private Messages draigun

I'll be the first non-bot to post! Classic Woot. A Roomba!?

*EDIT: I need to flex my programming skills for some quality posts!

robertvaldivia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages robertvaldivia

F5..! F5..! C'mon.... F5!!
Roomba?!
Back to Reddit.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I have this model and it is a solid product. It works great for spot cleaning but the battery will need to be replaced after about two-three years.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this guy in action

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Neato @ Wal Mart $219

http://www.walmart.com/browse/vacuums-floor-care/vacuums-and-floor-care/4044_90548_4047_12787/?_refineresult=true&facet=type%3ARobotic

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

hippie19

quality posts: 22 Private Messages hippie19

Incase you are trying to keep up with the Jonses Make Zine had an article for Roomba Recon instructions. Now the NSA has competition.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Roomba models:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roomba#Models

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

garylehr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garylehr

I purchased this the last 2 times this refurb model was offered, note that the virtual wall shown in the product pics is NOT the one that you get with the roomba..you get the non-adjustable compact Virtual Wall. I returned the first one because the accessories didn't match the roomba, but kept the second because the roomba does do an excellent job. Just know that you may not get what's represented on the product page.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

My post last time:

whatsamattaU wrote:The stuff from my last posts, edited:

----------
My stuff again:

support page:
http://www.irobot.com/us/Support/For_Home/Roomba_500_Resources.aspx

video w/cat, because the internet doesn't have enough cats:

"official" type video:

10 minute review:

7 minute review:

isnoop

quality posts: 9 Private Messages isnoop

How well does it handle transition from hard surfaces to carpet and rugs?

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

After a bit over a year of around twice a week use around a smallish house, my Roomba 440's brush motor got too weak to run on carpet. It wasn't seized or hard to move so it wasn't friction of the system but the motor got too weak. The only other thing I can think of is that somehow more friction is occurring between the carpet and the brushes but I can't find any faults in the body. The brushes work fine on hard floors.

My Roomba did not last.

Also, the Roomba would overcharge it's NiMH battery, keeping the battery around 20 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than ambient on a hard floor even after being done charging for days. So I was taking out the battery pack after it was done charging. Hopefully the newer Roombas do not do this.

russellwilde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages russellwilde

I've been eyeing roombas for quite some time but here's my question:

I have a dog that sheds a fair amount. Would this bot be up to the task or should I spring for the 585/595 model?

jamieb497

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jamieb497

I have had 3, yes 3 Roombas including this one and this is by far the worst of the bunch. It broke within a year. It now goes backward for maybe an inch then makes the uh-oh noise and that's it. One of other 2 is the Discovery, easily 7 years old and has only needed a new battery. the other a 550 is still going strong.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

Finally! Woot goes back to it roots. I miss the days of nothing but Roombas, LeakFrogs, and Toasters.

79 woots and counting!

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast
isnoop wrote:How well does it handle transition from hard surfaces to carpet and rugs?

No issues for me. It crosses the transition with no problem.

I have had my Roomba for 3 years and have not had any issues with it.

Referee66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Referee66

I have (now selling on eBay) a 530 Model that just didn't hold up to the challenges of 3 dogs. In the 2 years of ownership: I had to replace the cleaning head 3 times (not counting the times to take it apart and clean internally). The brushes twice. And, the battery once. They just clog too easily. Now it has a faulty bumper sensor. Roomba Tech will send a refurbish one out for $160 +S/H that doesn't include cleaning head, etc. They didn't even want the defective one back.

Bought a Neato XV-21 and works much, much better!

russellwilde wrote:I've been eyeing roombas for quite some time but here's my question:

I have a dog that sheds a fair amount. Would this bot be up to the task or should I spring for the 585/595 model?

finalfenix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finalfenix

fyi: i dont think this model has scheduling capabilities...

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
russellwilde wrote:I've been eyeing roombas for quite some time but here's my question:

I wondered this exact same thing. Reviews from pet owners over on Amazon have pushed me toward waiting for Woot to sell the 550. I was this close to pulling the trigger on this to replace my dead 4100 series. I miss that little guy.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
geo8rge wrote:Neato @ Wal Mart $219

http://www.walmart.com/browse/vacuums-floor-care/vacuums-and-floor-care/4044_90548_4047_12787/?_refineresult=true&facet=type%3ARobotic

Two completely different animals. We have both at the moment. I must say, I much prefer the Roomba over the Neato. It is a little quieter, cleans better, and doesn't get stuck nearly as much.

The Neato seems to be much more temperamental about where you put the base station (it needs three feet of clearance on all sides). I placed it only a few feet away from its base station and told it to dock. Instead, it ran all around the room and eventually ran out of batteries because it couldn't find the perfect position.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
isnoop wrote:How well does it handle transition from hard surfaces to carpet and rugs?

I don't have this exact model, but out handles the transition from carpet to linoleum flawlessly. It can have difficulty on rugs, depending on the difference in height. Also, ours often catches on a skinny rug we have in the kitchen, causing it to bunch up.

dgk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgk

I've had a few models including this one. They do a very good job cleaning, but they can't be fixed once they start beeping and only going backwards. That's the bad sensor problem and the only thing to do is throw it out, or as someone else wrote, get a refurb from them for $180 or so.

I don't know why they refuse to fix their products when it breaks but I find that very annoying since they do seem to break within a year or two. I do have three cats.

I have four cats! And Two Roombas.

congerjan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages congerjan

Does anyone know if virtual walls from other models work with this model? I think I have a 570 but it is in the 500 series.

strandedinvegas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages strandedinvegas

If this properly disposes of fresh cat barf, then I'll buy one!

Ron Larson

Lairdland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lairdland

I always have had problems with Roombas, the Neato XV-21 works better in my experience. If you have dawgs or puddy tats, I suggest manning up and getting a Dyson animal model if you have any house of significant size.

The robots are designed for maintenance of low impact areas, not heavy duty stuff like picking up woof woof hair.

My 2 cents

colin91473

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colin91473

I only have 1 dog and my newest roomba, which is the "pet" specific model can't clean up dog hair at all. It's pathetic actually. I called roomba about it and no help. It literally passes right over the dog hair and doesn't even touch it. It does pick up other junk, so it's working.. so to speak.. and this is also a later model that I shelled out a lot of money for to replace my original that started moving 1 inch stopping and beeping at me. The old one did a heck of a lot better with dog hair. But. Bottom line. I'll never get a nother roomba. Unless Neato is making some amazing machines, I'll stick with regular vacuums from now on. No robotic vacuums have the power and cleaning capability of a traditional vacuum.

Referee66 wrote:I have (now selling on eBay) a 530 Model that just didn't hold up to the challenges of 3 dogs. In the 2 years of ownership: I had to replace the cleaning head 3 times (not counting the times to take it apart and clean internally). The brushes twice. And, the battery once. They just clog too easily. Now it has a faulty bumper sensor. Roomba Tech will send a refurbish one out for $160 +S/H that doesn't include cleaning head, etc. They didn't even want the defective one back.

Bought a Neato XV-21 and works much, much better!

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast
strandedinvegas wrote:If this properly disposes of fresh cat barf, then I'll buy one!

Pet Hair = Awesome
Pet Barf or poop = Not so good unless you like stinky steaks all over the carpet showing the path the Roomba takes.

bas5x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bas5x

We have hardwood floors and rugs with fringe. Will it eat up the fringe like the vacuum does?

BelyndaG

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BelyndaG

I bought this very model from Woot in November, 2009 for $139. It has no real problem transitioning between my hard surface floors and my rugs, although I don't have any with fringes and can't tell how well that would work. I have noticed that occasionally it will leave a smudge of fluff on the edge of a rug if it catches it at the wrong angle, but so does my upright vacuum. Over the years since we have had this one we've had two semi-long haired border collies, a shih Tzu and several cats (all at once). I have found that, if I don't run it frequently, the pet hair occasionally clogs up the brushes and stops the vacuum until I clean them out.

I recently had to replace the battery on my Roomba, who goes by the name of Rosie (after the maid on The Jetsons). I bought the new battery on Amazon for about $24 including shipping. The new one says that it's higher capacity, although I'm not tech savvy enough to know if that's true. However, since replacing the battery I am finding that Rosie works better than she did when I first got her, 4 years ago. She seems to have more power than ever and hasn't clogged up a bit.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BelyndaG

I wanted to ask something for those of you who already have a Roomba or a Neato. The biggest problem I have when using mine is that I spend a lot of time going around the area and moving or picking up things to give it a clear path, then putting things back in place after it's finished. I move potted plants, small side tables, etc. out of the room, pull chairs away from the table so the vacuum can get underneath..... Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I wondered if I'm the only one.

Or maybe I just need to not have so much carp in my house.

iamjakex

quality posts: 11 Private Messages iamjakex

Well I've waited a few years, but finally... finally I've gotten myself a classic Woot Roomba. I am hoping to be amazed :D

Or at least have it clean upstairs rooms.

dunderhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dunderhead

I've had my 530 for over a year now, and "Whitey" is still running strong.

Routine maintenance and cleaning is of utmost importance, especially if you have pets. With my main vacuum hose, I suck the debris from the bin, remove the brushes, and make sure the front sensors and wiped clean from dust.

I do move my coffee and end tables out of the way to avoid it from plowing full speed in to the legs. This makes for an easier cleaning overall, so I do everything in sections.

Overall I highly recommend this product.

edit: A note on the battery: Always always always keep the Roomba plugged in (or on the dock) when it's not in use. If you leave it sitting around the battery life will decrease rapidly.

regards,
dunderhead

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos

Picked this one up as a refurb around a year ago from Woot. Within a couple of months, the tiny vacuum fan broke. iRobot was quick about getting me a replacement though.

The vacuum does a better job than I would have expected for its size. It tends to pull a lot of gunk and hair out of my low carpets. However, if you have a dusty home, animals, or a long-haired girlfriend that sheds, you will be cleaning this thing a *lot*. The dustbin is very small and can't hold a lot before it has to be emptied. Hair gets wound around the brush and roller, including in the hard-to-get-at little ridges at the sides of the rollers. It will eat your cords and the tassels/fringe on the sides of rugs and get tangled up, so make sure you have properly addressed this before setting your Roomba loose.

The cleaning pattern of the Roomba is really inefficient. It goes over the same areas multiple times and misses other areas in its search for open floor to clean. By the time it has properly mapped the entire floor of a good-sized room, you aren't going to have that much battery left on it. Additionally, the Roomba cannot clean the edges of carpets and corners because of its shape; you will need to go in with a hand attachment on a regular vacuum to get the edges properly. iRobot claims to handle this with the little three-arm "sweeper", but this is vastly inferior to actually vacuuming those areas.

Finally, keep in mind this is not the version you can easily schedule (though there are hacks out there for the technical-minded that will allow you to create a schedule for the little guy).

All in all, I haven't used it as much as I would have expected. It needs a larger dustbin and a better design to handle long hairs. It's good if you set a daily schedule with it and don't expect too much out of it; I wouldn't advise you to toss out your hand vacuums though.

chiefski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiefski
BelyndaG wrote:I wanted to ask something for those of you who already have a Roomba or a Neato. The biggest problem I have when using mine is that I spend a lot of time going around the area and moving or picking up things to give it a clear path, then putting things back in place after it's finished. I move potted plants, small side tables, etc. out of the room, pull chairs away from the table so the vacuum can get underneath..... Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I wondered if I'm the only one.

Or maybe I just need to not have so much carp in my house.

You'd have to move the stuff out of the way with a regular vacuum cleaner too! Also, try putting the carp back in the river where they belong, eliminates that "fishy" odor.

bremsech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bremsech

It has no problems going from one the the other. I have wood laminate and a short shag carpet and it goes between the two with no problems.

Keep in mind the Roomba is to maintain a clean floor, not clean a really dirty floor. I run mine almost daily and it keeps the floor clean. I even take mine with me when we travel to our cabin for a few weeks

bremsech

dgk wrote:I've had a few models including this one. They do a very good job cleaning, but they can't be fixed once they start beeping and only going backwards. That's the bad sensor problem and the only thing to do is throw it out, or as someone else wrote, get a refurb from them for $180 or so.

I don't know why they refuse to fix their products when it breaks but I find that very annoying since they do seem to break within a year or two. I do have three cats.

Don't throw them out, sell them on ebay. I've sold several non-working models on ebay for as much as $30-$50 each!

bremsech

mdrcoast wrote:Pet Hair = Awesome
Pet Barf or poop = Not so good unless you like stinky steaks all over the carpet showing the path the Roomba takes.

This would be why I never use the scheduler since I have two dogs. I either run them (I have two roombas) while I'm home or start them just as I'm leaving. In the 5 years that I've used a roomba, I haven't had this issue. You can also contain the animal or roombas to only certain areas to keep them apart.