Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2656 Private Messages lichme

Item: LG 47" or 55" 1080p LED HDTV
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/5/2013 - $399.99-599.99 - 92 comment(s)

lichme

lichme

4 Stars for the 55 inch model

lichme

ZLoth

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ZLoth

So tempting. So tempting. Anyone have any experience playing back movie files on this TV via USB?

thevisitant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevisitant

Has anyone had any experience with a refurbished TV? I've never used one and am tentative to buy one.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of additional info and videos on the 55" model over at lg.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the 55" model over at walmart.com

sonicwav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sonicwav

Some people are not convinced the 47" is actually 120Hz, and also say that the TruMotion doesn't function correctly on this model and cannot be adjusted in settings like other TruMotion TVs.

Link: http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/product/MD05010600/lg-electronics-47ls4500-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=helpfulq

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU
thevisitant wrote:Has anyone had any experience with a refurbished TV? I've never used one and am tentative to buy one.

The usual response:
1. Those who do fine with it aren't the ones who usually say something, it's those who have problems that typically say something (including here).
2. I can't afford the time/effort to have a TV problem, so I don't buy TV's from woot, so I can't tell you from experience.
3. Those who do have problems more often report it with shipping of the TV rather than the TV itself (and rightly so, although looks like less problems nowadays from woot).
4. The TV failure rate from what I can tell isn't much different than buying from a store (one could argue refurbs fail more?). The less well-known brands are (edit: more) likely to fail (LG has a decent reputation though).
5. If you do peruse some of the previous TV sales (including the last one lichme linked to above), though, you will read of some that have had no problems at all, including one who's bought 7 refurbished TV's from woot without problems:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5461755
6. Refurb does NOT necessarily mean used, as linked in my signature below:
http://www.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=109477

Hope this helps.

dae1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dae1

I have the 55" from the last woot sale of this tv. It looks great with the exception of:
1) Scratch marks on the left side of the tv.
2) On a dark movie, there's a light bleed on the top left.

Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with the TV.

thevisitant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevisitant
whatsamattaU wrote:The usual response:
1. Those who do fine with it aren't the ones who usually say something, it's those who have problems that typically say something (including here).
2. I can't afford the time/effort to have a TV problem, so I don't buy TV's from woot, so I can't tell you from experience.
3. Those who do have problems more often report it with shipping of the TV rather than the TV itself (and rightly so, although looks like less problems nowadays from woot).
4. The TV failure rate from what I can tell isn't much different than buying from a store (one could argue refurbs fail more?). The less well-known brands are likely to fail (LG has a decent reputation though).
5. If you do peruse some of the previous TV sales (including the last one lichme linked to above), though, you will read of some that have had no problems at all, including one who's bought 7 refurbished TV's from woot without problems:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5461755
6. Refurb does NOT necessarily mean used, as linked in my signature below:
http://www.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=109477

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. Though the issues with the motion look like a deal-breaker for me. I'll probably wait for a different (name) brand to come up.

notalwaysso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages notalwaysso
thevisitant wrote:Has anyone had any experience with a refurbished TV? I've never used one and am tentative to buy one.

I bought a Vizio 37" on Woot two years ago. never regretted it. I believe it was $330 and I was a bit nervous because the TV could be a total loss but went for it. I am totally satisfied, but would still have nerves if I did it again.

ueberRegenbogen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ueberRegenbogen

“Power Consumption: 0.3W Standby”

Ok; that's nice to know. But it'd be even nicer to know the operating power consumption. Even the owners manual doesn't say. :\

sunsys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunsys

no 3d

jrsteen159

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrsteen159

I don't see an offer of a Square Trade extended warranty - am I just missing it, and if not, why no offer?

rusty770

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rusty770

I have a refurbished Vizio I bought 3 years ago and love it, no problems!

kryzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kryzer

I purchased the smaller one a few weeks ago from WOOT and was a little nervous about it being a referb and all, but am very happy with it. There are no signs of wear or use on it. I'm not sophisticated enough to describe the nuances of moving picture quality or subtle sound aspects, all I know is that it is very easy to use and that it does all that I ask of a TV. Like I said, we're very happy with it.

mfaughn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mfaughn

I got the 47 when it came up a few weeks ago. Was out of town when I ordered it so I've only been watching it for a few days. No problems whatsoever. Looks like mine was a "refurb" due to some very minor damage to the bezel on one corner. When I say minor I mean I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been the one to unpack it and take the taped on foam off of that corner. Nobody else will ever notice at all.

I got a 3 year SquareTrade warranty for it for ~$35 a few days after I bought it from woot.

mysterytrout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mysterytrout

I've bought two Philips TVs from Woot and have not had any problems. The 32" had a few light scratches on the bezel but that's about it. I've had them both for 2 and 3 years now.

If I needed another TV I'd do it again. New TVs are so cheap now however that it's less of an incentive to go refurb.

jakster30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakster30
mfaughn wrote:I got the 47 when it came up a few weeks ago. Was out of town when I ordered it so I've only been watching it for a few days. No problems whatsoever. Looks like mine was a "refurb" due to some very minor damage to the bezel on one corner. When I say minor I mean I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been the one to unpack it and take the taped on foam off of that corner. Nobody else will ever notice at all.

I got a 3 year SquareTrade warranty for it for ~$35 a few days after I bought it from woot.

I bot a 47" one a few weeks ago and all I had was problems...it came damaged, one HDMI port was broken then one day later the other HDMI port is dead...called woot, worst return policy and terrible customer service...I would have to ship it to them for $85 dollars and they would fix it...what?! really? the TV is less than 3 days old!...so I called LG and they're sending down a guy to fix it...that was 2 weeks ago!..NOT worth saving 50 dollars at woot! I would never buy any electronics from Woot again! You have been warned!

maverick007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverick007

People who have bought LED TV from WOOT earlier, can you advise, if they send the product in the default FACTORY BOX and packaging
OR
they use their own packaging? If their own, is that packed securely? Can it be carried in flight (without risk of damage)

Also,
Have read mixed response on cosmetic condition of Refurb.
Does refurb look used (a lot of mark n scratches n blemishes)
or its just (may be) 1 -2 tiny ones, hard to notice

Appreciate your kind advise

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I bought 2 Vizios here 2 years ago and they are both fine. I did buy extended warranties through Square Trade when they were offering 30% discounts.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
jrsteen159 wrote:I don't see an offer of a Square Trade extended warranty - am I just missing it, and if not, why no offer?

Just go to the Square Trade website and populate all the fields to see what the cost is.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

clydaho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clydaho

I want the doggy!!!

powelldavid6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powelldavid6

Why would you pay 50%more for the 57 inch TV when you don't get 50% more screen?

raspis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raspis
maverick007 wrote:can you advise, if they send the product in the default FACTORY BOX and packaging
OR
they use their own packaging? If their own, is that packed securely? Can it be carried in flight (without risk of damage)

Also,

My 42" LG showed up in it's original factory box, which was beat up pretty bad when it arrived. According to ThunderThighs, WOOT isn't always in control of the packaging, because these are usually shipped from the warehouse at which they were refurb'd.
BTW, my TV had a small dent in the back case, but has been working great, so far.

dae1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dae1
maverick007 wrote:can you advise, if they send the product in the default FACTORY BOX and packaging
OR

Also,

It was a roomy brown box and looked very secured enough to put on a flight. There were no markings on it indicating it came from LG.

If I had not looked closer, I could not see the scratches on the side. And it was along 1 side of the tv not just 1 or 2 scratches.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
jakster30 wrote:I bot a 47" one a few weeks ago and all I had was problems...it came damaged, one HDMI port was broken then one day later the other HDMI port is dead...called woot, worst return policy and terrible customer service...I would have to ship it to them for $85 dollars and they would fix it...what?! really? the TV is less than 3 days old!...so I called LG and they're sending down a guy to fix it...that was 2 weeks ago!..NOT worth saving 50 dollars at woot! I would never buy any electronics from Woot again! You have been warned!

Thanks, Jakster. I bought a Vizio from 2ndipity three (?) years ago, and it's been wonderful.

But with electronics - especially large-ish electronics - customer service after the sale is essential, and returns need to be simple and cost-free when the product is just plain failing.

Looks like I'll be shopping the sales at Costco for my next TV.

bolts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bolts

That's right you only get 36.9% more... hope they fix that soon.

powelldavid6 wrote:Why would you pay 50%more for the 57 inch TV when you don't get 50% more screen?

arosiriak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arosiriak
ZLoth wrote:So tempting. So tempting. Anyone have any experience playing back movie files on this TV via USB?

Unfortunately, according to LG's owner manuals, and some reviewers, this set does not allow for video file playback via USB drives. The USB is only for picture and music files (the file type limitations were a bit less clear), as well as firmware updates.

Hope that helps!

----------------------

A few thoughts on the deal, and tendencies of the brand:

I have been in the home theatre set-up/calibration biz for a number of years, and I am particularly fond of LG, for their usually great amount of picture control. If the picture doesn't thrill you out-of-the-box, you can always dial it in to your preference.

LG does have a few misleading marketing terms, which is true of any TV manufacturer. One of them is refresh rate. When they advertise 120/240/480 Hz TruMotion, that means that the actual refresh rate is half that, plus backlight scanning and Motion Estimation/Motion Compensation, or MEMC, which is the cause of the "soap opera effect." So, if TruMotion is disengaged, for a more old-standard refresh rate, the panel is essentially half what they say it is.

That said, in the lower tiers of any company, there are obvious cut-backs for price, like using slower panels, and not giving you control to toggle TruMotion. It appears that this model does not give you control. However, LG has proven one of the better implementations of that tech, with less ghosting/artifacting than most.

Another point to be aware of is that their upscaling of standard def content is not particularly good, even though it isn't exceptionally bad either.

Conclusion:
For the price, these seem like decent no-frills sets. They may not be fancy, but they'll do the job. They won't please videophiles, but they wouldn't even be looking at this price range anyway.

P.S.
I have been a proud and pleased owner of a LG from the 2009 LH90 flagship family (there was actually one model higher but for practical purposes, it wasn't available). This was back when you could get matte screens for less glare under lights, full-array backlighting for better blacks and contrast, etc. Got it in 2010 at a fabulous discount. Honestly, it still outperforms many, if not most sets out there today...

tlzallen2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlzallen2

Could you guys at least not use pictures on your TV that portray cruelty to animals? I mean, that shirt thing is just obscene! =P

scott44113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott44113

HELP.
I'm trying to buy the 47" and after editing my credit card info 4x, with nothing left to do, I still get the following Woot screen that says:
"Denied
What's going on here?
Your payment authorization was denied. You can either sit and grieve, continue shopping, or go back to your cart."

I sent a request to Support, whose bot duly assigned me a case# and the promise to get back to me within 24 hrs. ((

Any suggestions, aside from 'shop elsewhere'?

Yes, my billing & shipping address work, the credit card PH# is in. Only difference that I can see is I'm using my mother's name instead of mine - it's her tv.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

The refurb we have downstairs didn't come from woot and we do have a SqT warranty on it. It is still working, well over a year later, with no problems. If your unit ships to you with no damage, I think you have about the same odds of having something wrong as a new TV.

Also, I will note that there is no option for a SquareTrade warranty on this particular TV, so will only have the woot 90 from purchase warranty.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

scott44113 wrote:HELP.
I'm trying to buy the 47" and after editing my credit card info 4x, with nothing left to do, I still get the following Woot screen that says:
"Denied
What's going on here?
Your payment authorization was denied. You can either sit and grieve, continue shopping, or go back to your cart."

I sent a request to Support, whose bot duly assigned me a case# and the promise to get back to me within 24 hrs. ((

Any suggestions, aside from 'shop elsewhere'?

Yes, my billing & shipping address work, the credit card PH# is in. Only difference that I can see is I'm using my mother's name instead of mine - it's her tv.

When you checkout you NEED to use the name associated with each type of address; this includes the billing address associated with the CC and the address you're shipping to.

Try reentering the information, repost if you encounter any further issues.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jrsteen159 wrote:I don't see an offer of a Square Trade extended warranty - am I just missing it, and if not, why no offer?

We're unable to offer Square Trade when selling multiple models of televisions/electronics.

scott44113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott44113
ROGETRAY wrote:When you checkout you NEED to use the name associated with each type of address; this includes the billing address associated with the CC and the address you're shipping to.

Try reentering the information, repost if you encounter any further issues.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did that. A couple times, actually.
I've used my mother's name (as it appears on card), billing address, shipping address, and even her residence/billing phone number, which is a major inconvenience, actually. But I tried it anyway.

Still no joy.

clarimax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clarimax

I bought one 2 years ago. did not work at all. had to return it to a third party company. waited 1 month and finally asked for it back and returned it to woot. with shipping back and forth, I actually lost money and ended up buying a brand new one.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669

If you buy these just understand that these are 60hz TVs dressed up to sound like 120hz TVs when they're in fact not.

It's a good price on a sub par TV.

I bought a refurbished TV from woot last week. There is a huge crack in the plastic on the top left corner. The TV works fine so I will not return it for the price I paid.