• 8% - Lovitz, Carvey, Hartman et al (1986-1990) 217
  • 23.4% - Farley, Spade, Sandler & friends (1991-1996) 634
  • 6.3% - The one with Will Ferrell (1996-2000) 170
  • 4.4% - Fallon, Fey, Poehler etc. (2000-2006) 119
  • 1.5% - Samberg, Armisen, Wiig, and whatnot (2006-2012) 40
  • 14.6% - They all have their good points 394
  • 6.4% - None of them did anything for me 173
2705 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

The originals (1975-79) then the Eddie Murphy era then lost interest afterward.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Farley, Sandler, Spade, Schneider, Meadows and Rock for a couple years.

Norm was the best Weekend Update anchor.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

I didn't realize that SNL casts were named like friends episodes...

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

Seeing that list of talent really is amazing. Lots of funny, funny people there.

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

"The one with Will Ferrell" had a lot better people than Will himself.

hal2814

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hal2814

If there was an option like "Most of them have their good points" I'd pick that, but they most certainly do not ALL have their good points. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Charles Rocket.)

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I think this is secretly a test of the age ranges of our customers.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

ravynwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravynwolf
Slydon wrote:I think this is secretly a test of the age ranges of our customers.

I don't think so. I wasn't around for the originals but from watching reruns I'd say they were best. Then a tie for second between Hartman's group and Farely/Sandler group.

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer
hal2814 wrote:If there was an option like "Most of them have their good points" I'd pick that, but they most certainly do not ALL have their good points. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Charles Rocket.)

Did you miss it, or did they alter the poll? How is it that the Wiig/Aminson cast got 1.2% They had me on the ground laughing more than a few times.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

I loved watching Chris Farley being so funny that the other actors, especially Spade, lost their composure and busted out laughing. For example, the van down by the river skit, his Chippendales skit with Patrick Swayze.

And this was when Adam Sandler was very young and very charming. The Hanukah song, for example. As for age, I'm almost 30. I've watched the originals and all the rest. I guess Chris Farley is who makes it for me.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Original

I worked in 30 Rock at the time. Oddly we almost never saw anyone.
Not many people in the building on a Saturday.

When Bill Murray was new, he took my tour.
I didn't recognize him. Neither did anyone on the tour.

He bribed me with tickets to the show that weekend.

I told him everyone at NBC swore they worked for that show when they wanted something for free. (Like going up to the roof)
He convinced me. It was a very interesting tour!

At the end everyone on the tour asked him for an autograph (mostly to find out who the hell he was)

He signed "Write if you get work" Which was a old Bob and Ray routine. (Chris Elliot's dad. Chris had the same job as me when he graduated high school. Output Machine Failing, Guys!, he is quite a few years younger than me and now he is playing a grandfather on TV)

back to the story
That sat night Hubby (then boyfriend) and I showed up at the call desk and damm! There were tickets!

Saw the show, he actually was on it!

A month later, he saw me in the lobby with a tour and said Hi! By then people were beginning to recognize him.

I also rode the elevator once with Belushi.
Was looking down and the doors opened and he got in.
Saw these really fancy shoes
Followed them up to really clean jeans and then a nicly pressed shirt.
Then the face
Oh crap! It is Belushi!

Said "You look familiar "
He said "That is what I say every day when I look in the mirror"

Elevator got to where we (me and hubby again...must have been after work...nbc commissary was a good place to go for dinner...were going and we got off.

That Sat we watched the show on TV and there was John, with the same exact pants, shirt and shoe combo.
He was always sloppy. We must have caught him after his weekly bath.

btw, there is a code of the city...you do not acknowledge seeing anyone famous.
I was just shocked when I saw who it was. If I was looking up when he entered the elevator, I wouldn't have said anything.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

chrisstrickland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisstrickland

These guys were good but THE best weekend update anchor was Dennis Miller. Sarcasm so thick you could cut it with a knife.

curtisuxor wrote:Farley, Sandler, Spade, Schneider, Meadows and Rock for a couple years.

Norm was the best Weekend Update anchor.

meganfarrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meganfarrell

Original cast, without a doubt. I had a friend in Sweden who worked for an airline. He would fly to Detroit (really) every chance he got to watch it. Even the "lesser" members of the cast, Laraine Newman, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris, were funnier than some of the stars in the later years.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU
meganfarrell wrote:Original cast, without a doubt. I had a friend in Sweden who worked for an airline. He would fly to Detroit (really) every chance he got to watch it. Even the "lesser" members of the cast, Laraine Newman, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris, were funnier than some of the stars in the later years.

Agreed. The 60 Minutes Point-Counterpoint parody, Chico Escuela, Father Guido Sarducci, Rosanna Rosanna Dana, "Cheezbuhgah", the Shark ringing the doorbell, the Chevy Chase pratfalls (despite his injuries from doing it), maybe it's "good ol' days" syndrome. Maybe the 80's Joe Piscopo/Eddie Murphy days a close second.

laurin800

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurin800

Originals did it for me too. They were onto something great and no one had seen it before! That made it even better. It was out of the blue each week! The spoofs on so many sitcoms provided so much comedy, then with Jane the ignorant sl%#, to the Lubners, it was great!

pirana6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirana6

I grew up on the

Fallon/Ferrell/Gasteyer/Hammond/Kattan/Meadows/Morgan/Oteri/Parnell/Sanz/Shannon/Dratch

...cast, but I voted everyone because I could easily go back and watch a certain black Gumby swearing and laugh my @$$ off.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
whatsamattaU wrote:Agreed. The 60 Minutes Point-Counterpoint parody, Chico Escuela, Father Guido Sarducci, Rosanna Rosanna Dana, "Cheezbuhgah", the Shark ringing the doorbell, the Chevy Chase pratfalls (despite his injuries from doing it), maybe it's "good ol' days" syndrome. Maybe the 80's Joe Piscopo/Eddie Murphy days a close second.

Jane, you ignorant I/O port.

Ah, how prescient was that sketch?

Father Guido Sarducci would also have me rolling with laughter.

I'm in my mid-20s and caught as many shows as possible while growing up. I watched adult-skewed humor since I was 5 or so. I am looking very forward to being able to watch all 38 seasons on Yahoo come this September.