quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Item: Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest - Dry Erase
Price: $349.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

e39krazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages e39krazy

dry erase huh, thats pretty damn nifty. Box is to small for me tho!

Woots:
Woot x15
Sellout x6
Shirt x0
Kids x1

lichme

Take a look at the Product Page for the bottom
Here is the Top

jaws8817

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaws8817

Seems silly. A dry erase marker would also work on the red color. Or even a lumber crayon.

The price seems okay but the paint is a gimmick like the trucks with the power sliding rear window. No real value...

mtnadvkl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtnadvkl

White?? REALLY?? Obviously dreamed up by a marketing guy who's never been in a garage. Dry erase...hahahahaha

satexas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages satexas

This is a gimmick-buy.

Getting the typical red/black versions of this is about $300... all you're getting is a gimmicky bright white version allowing you to "dry erase marker" on the front... great... so you can marker on it because you have tools and are incapable of labeling on red/black and now you get to see all the smudges of a tool shop on bright white...

I'll pass. Yuck.

They should put an APPLE sticker on it, and get all the APPLE fan boi's to buy it.

lichme

Price comparison: Just the bottom for sale at sears for $314 Here

jjessop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jjessop

Wow...what a product blunder! Who needs the dry erase stuff? This thing is going to look like hell after 5 minutes.

applepete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages applepete

First - on the Sears website this is a total of $560 not $900. Secondly - go there and do some comparison shopping by searching for either "craftsman rolling tool chest" or "craftsman rolling tool chest limited edition" to check out everything. Of course the smart thing would be to take a quick printout of the specs and run up to your Sears store first thing in the morning to see IRL what you are getting. Tempting as it is I need to pass this go round due to financial limitations as well as figuring out the capacity of what I need for the storage. But hopefully once those are handled I will have figured out what units I'm "lusting" after and if this is the one then maybe it will show up in a Woot-Off or in Tools & Garden. The deal is that many of the tops and bottoms at Sears are different capacities. However you might find you like the white bottom and the Harley top or a red and black combo.

rmlawrence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmlawrence
applepete wrote:First - on the Sears website this is a total of $560 not $900.

Well, Woot does say "List Price" and not "Price you'll find if you go look at the Sears website right now." (There's a bit of a definition of list price if you hover over those words... and Woot admits that the list price is "mostly worthless.") Also, if you use the "Regular Price" as listed on the Sears site, it adds up to $800.

But all that really doesn't mean a whole lot. Ultimately we're all interested in the best price we can find.

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler

Somebody storm-troopered their toolchest

deerelx280

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deerelx280

When I am working on something in my garage and my hands are all dirty and full of grease, The one thing I really want to see in there is a bright white tool box. Ummm no thanks. Nor am I a fan of Craftsman. Had a few in the past and they didn't withstand the test of time. Other brands are definitely more expensive, like Snap-on, but you do get what you pay for.

rockwelldoug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockwelldoug

Had to sign in to say this, I worked for sears and we sold these craftsman tool chests, Just a fair warning, Chances are they might be dented on arrival, just because of the boxes and the typical styrofoam. Anyway, They are great tool boxes, We'd hardly get returns on them, I would purchases these in a heart beat.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Some of the comments sound similar to when Gizmodo looked at it briefly, and more than a few commented:
http://gizmodo.com/if-you-arent-crafty-enough-to-figure-out-how-to-label-a-473147314

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

This I would have expected on April 1st.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I hope Sears didn't make too many of these, because it's going to take a long time to get rid of them. But there may be a few compulsively clean garages where these can find a home. The guy who lives there defines "working on the car" as checking the tire pressures. Or maybe it's a woman's garage, all color coordinated and stuff, that needs a white tool chest as the finishing touch.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

How often are you changing around the contents of your tool chest that you require the flexibility of a dry erase marker?

Seems to me like a label maker would be more effective and not rub off if you bumped into it.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

"Limited Edition" is marketing speak for "We ain't gonna sell a lot of these". I wonder how long those tiny gas struts for the lid will last. If you need assistance lifting the lid then this is for you. I have used a Craftsman tool chest at work for about ten years and am happy with it. I have never labeled the drawers and yet I know what's where.

jmied01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmied01

Just my $.02, but I don't see this as such a terrible idea. Maybe the fact that it's here says that they overestimated the market for these, but my wife would love one for her craft room, my brother in law would love one for his electronics repair business, etc, etc. Yeah sure, if you work on greasy cars it's not a good idea, but people put a lot more than ratchets & wrenches in toolboxes these days. And the struts aren't to help you pick up the heavy lid, they're too hold it open and are a nice improvement from the old steel props, imo.

TimeOut4242

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TimeOut4242

That was for just the bottom section; the full tool chest $559.

lichme wrote:Price comparison: Just the bottom for sale at sears for $314 Here

AndyMahnFL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyMahnFL

'Gimmicky'? > Perhaps
Impractical (in white)? > sure
Did I just save a bundle (> $300) by canceling the order for the same exact object placed yesterday at Sears.com and ordering via Woot this morning? > Hell yeah! Plus delivery to my home. Will I likely be late for work this morning? > Sure. Will this item be used and useful? > yes. Thanks Woot.

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

I personally would love to have one in white but i already have 2 in black. I don't see what the problem is with white, I don't touch the panels anyway, I open and close the drawers with the handles.

IN BEFORE THE STRAP-ON ELITIST!!!!!!

Double0doug

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Double0doug
satexas wrote:This is a gimmick-buy.

Getting the typical red/black versions of this is about $300... all you're getting is a gimmicky bright white version allowing you to "dry erase marker" on the front... great... so you can marker on it because you have tools and are incapable of labeling on red/black and now you get to see all the smudges of a tool shop on bright white...

I'll pass. Yuck.

They should put an APPLE sticker on it, and get all the APPLE fan boi's to buy it.

Hmmmm... ok... yeah.... I'm gonna just have to disagree with you on that one.... yeah...

No really, you've got to watch out for which level of box this is. The ball bearings is a good sign, but you ultimately need to compare the gauge of the steel that's used.

They make several different lines of these things and the "home owners" line is very much terrible, but the other lines are pretty good. As far as I can tell, this is a pretty good buy.

As far as the "Dry Erase" edition gimmick goes, all models I've ever seen have a high gloss finish that would work fine for dry erase marketers. This one is just painted white. I'd go with dude up thread and use a lumber pencil or something a little more durable than dry erase marker myself.

Over all, I'm going to have to avoid woot until these things sell out. I want one and I could actually use it in my garage... but I need to put that cash towards a new TV for my man cave that I'll probably never get.

reheiser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reheiser

Is it MAC compatible?

neverfirst

mearl1818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mearl1818
reheiser wrote:Is it MAC compatible?

Yes, it will hold all of the tools necessary to disassemble your MAC. In the event of a major failure, the bottom drawer can hold a pretty large hammer.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages corvettejoe

I must be the ONLY one who thinks the white is pretty dang cool.

I have a triple stack red Craftsman tool chest that's about 10 years old that's never really been cleaned and I abuse the heck out of it and it looks just as clean as when I got it. There's not one spot of grease on it... why? Because I use the drawer pulls. Besides.. on the rare occasion it does get grease on it, you should be wiping it down just like you should be wiping your tools off when done using them. Just part of the cleanup process to make everything last forever.

I hardly see this being used in a professional shop, but in someone's ultimate man garage, this would look really slick!

rboyett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rboyett

Craftsman just isn't the quality name they were 30+ years ago. Frankly, Harbor Freight toolboxes are significantly better.

scott8176209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scott8176209

bottom at sears is 214.88 and the top is 134.88 it is a limited edition itis in burgandy the same one just different color

chadroney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadroney
corvettejoe wrote:I must be the ONLY one who thinks the white is pretty dang cool.

I have a triple stack red Craftsman tool chest that's about 10 years old that's never really been cleaned and I abuse the heck out of it and it looks just as clean as when I got it. There's not one spot of grease on it... why? Because I use the drawer pulls. Besides.. on the rare occasion it does get grease on it, you should be wiping it down just like you should be wiping your tools off when done using them. Just part of the cleanup process to make everything last forever.

I hardly see this being used in a professional shop, but in someone's ultimate man garage, this would look really slick!

I couldn't agree any more. Since I was a kid I've seen nothing but the red Craftsman tool chest. While there's nothing wrong with traditional, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one to have it. I'm in for one.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

I'll pass. Yuck.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe some folks might actually appreciate the fact it is white and might actually use the dry erase marker feature of it? It could come in handy when teaching a shop class. As far as your comment regarding the Apple sticker - that is just plain ridiculous and shows just how immature you are trying to equate a tool chest with a computer.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
reheiser wrote:Is it MAC compatible?

It might be compatible, but these are guaranteed to be: http://tinyurl.com/n48td5e

davedoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davedoy

Notice how deep the drawers are? That's how they skimp on these chests: fewer, deeper drawers. For mechanic's tools you want more, shallower drawers for all your sockets and flat wrenches and screwdrivers.

ndroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ndroth

Getting the typical red/black versions of this is about $300...

The closest thing they have on the Sears website is $505 with $70 shipping.

satexas wrote:all you're getting is a gimmicky bright white version allowing you to "dry erase marker" on the front... great... so you can marker on it because you have tools and are incapable of labeling on red/black and now you get to see all the smudges of a tool shop on bright white...

I'll pass. Yuck.

Even the red ones get dirty over time. My dad has a grey one that looks dirty. Solution? Clean up your garage from time to time.

satexas wrote:They should put an APPLE sticker on it, and get all the APPLE fan boi's to buy it.

What does this have to do with anything? Couldn't think of anything constructive to say, huh?

kvordenbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kvordenbaum

I have a truck with a powered sliding window and use it all the time.

jaws8817 wrote:Seems silly. A dry erase marker would also work on the red color. Or even a lumber crayon.

The price seems okay but the paint is a gimmick like the trucks with the power sliding rear window. No real value...

brasssong

quality posts: 9 Private Messages brasssong

Hah!
You said Tool Box.

k0ugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages k0ugs

Now, if this were chalkboard paint I'd have bought three!

(>.<)\m/

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington

No thanks.
Too small, bad drawer arrangement.
Wouldn't stay white very long...
(Unless I cleaned my tool box, Ive never done that...)
The 'dry erase' would wipe off every time you touched it.
Nice box for a hospital!

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 17 Private Messages daveinwarshington
kvordenbaum wrote:I have a truck with a powered sliding window and use it all the time.

Thank You. I agree.
My dogs love when I let them poke their snoots out the window.
Snoots. I like that word...