firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
mtnadvkl wrote:White?? REALLY?? Obviously dreamed up by a marketing guy who's never been in a garage. Dry erase...hahahahaha

My first thought.

prttymf8 wrote:How often are you changing around the contents of your tool chest that you require the flexibility of a dry erase marker?

Seems to me like a label maker would be more effective and not rub off if you bumped into it.

My "trying to honestly giving this item a chance, but no way" second thought.

kirscherj2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirscherj2
jaws8817 wrote:Seems silly. A dry erase marker would also work on the red color. Or even a lumber crayon.

The price seems okay but the paint is a gimmick like the trucks with the power sliding rear window. No real value...

You've obviously never had the power sliding rear window... I use it all the time. 100x more air circulation control without stopping.

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody

Sell these to dentists and medical offices!
Mac compatible? No, Craftsman tools only, no Mac, no Snap-On, no Hazet, Heyco, etc.

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

djdorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djdorn

I disagree - the lighter color would not show the dust as much and the dry erase feature allows one to change the label on drawers based on different contents.

If I didn't already have the cabinets I need, I'd be in for one. Good for Woot offering something different than the standard fare.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
davedoy wrote:Notice how deep the drawers are? That's how they skimp on these chests: fewer, deeper drawers. For mechanic's tools you want more, shallower drawers for all your sockets and flat wrenches and screwdrivers.

Agreed, this has entirely the wrong mix of shallow and deep drawers. Half the space will be wasted in the top chest.

The whole dry erase thing is a stupid gimmick too. I'll take a red or black chest that hides dirt better and make a few labels.

dmax801

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dmax801

It's my garage, for goodness' sake. It won't look perfect after the first hour.

But, I've been looking for a tool chest to replace my giant plastic bins, and I didn't want to spend a lot on it.

And - what a great idea! - I'll take one of my many Apple stickers (not the rainbow ones, since they're special) and slap one on. :-)

tglarsen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tglarsen

1. The total size of this chest makes it a big time deal in itself.
2. White is clean, and when it is clean it will look very sharp. (I'm sorry, I like my things clean... even in a dirty garage)
3. Slap one of these on and you will make it look 'dirty' http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/s/star_wars_storm_trooper_2_diecut_decal__22663.jpg

suesbarn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suesbarn

I find the description/write-up to be in incredibly poor taste, and although I am looking for a tool chest, I will not buy this one. Disappointed in Woot.

thinkspring

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thinkspring

Ha... put one in the cart, went out to check some dimensions... came back & it's sold out! Apparently a lot of people (myself included) didn't think these were so bad.

tglarsen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tglarsen

Ya, I should have bought one earlier when I saw it up, instead of listening to other commenters gripe about it not being clean with their dirty habits. Ticked I missed out on this one.

thinkspring wrote:Ha... put one in the cart, went out to check some dimensions... came back & it's sold out! Apparently a lot of people (myself included) didn't think these were so bad.

robino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages robino
suesbarn wrote:I find the description/write-up to be in incredibly poor taste, and although I am looking for a tool chest, I will not buy this one. Disappointed in Woot.

I KNOW, right? The description didn't even mention the color! :o(

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
corvettejoe wrote:I must be the ONLY one who thinks the white is pretty dang cool.

I have a triple stack red Craftsman tool chest that's about 10 years old that's never really been cleaned and I abuse the heck out of it and it looks just as clean as when I got it. There's not one spot of grease on it... why? Because I use the drawer pulls. Besides.. on the rare occasion it does get grease on it, you should be wiping it down just like you should be wiping your tools off when done using them. Just part of the cleanup process to make everything last forever.

I hardly see this being used in a professional shop, but in someone's ultimate man garage, this would look really slick!

I like it too. I have a red and a black Craftsman chest. I would have bought the white if it wasn't sold out.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

I can't believe this item has sold out and Woot! hasn't already put up another one. where are you Amawoot?

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
nmchapma wrote:I can't believe this item has sold out and Woot! hasn't already put up another one. where are you Amawoot?

Since when do they do more than one item per day (with the exception of Woot-offs)?

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
showcaller wrote:Did it ever occur to you that maybe some folks might actually appreciate the fact it is white and might actually use the dry erase marker feature of it? It could come in handy when teaching a shop class. As far as your comment regarding the Apple sticker - that is just plain ridiculous and shows just how immature you are trying to equate a tool chest with a computer.

Oh, don't be so sensitive. The amount of drawers in this chest and the price is an obvious draw for someone who does more than just a little bit of wrenching here and there. So, for a mid-level serious wrencher, they aren't going for the write-on/wipe-off. It is a horrible idea.

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
suesbarn wrote:I find the description/write-up to be in incredibly poor taste, and although I am looking for a tool chest, I will not buy this one. Disappointed in Woot.

Wow. Then you should just delete your bookmark to woot's site because they will continue to delight in your disappointment, and whatever you do, you better not read the shirt.woot write-up today - your head might explode.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

If you missed this deal, check the deal sites for these pieces, together or separate, over the next week or two. I was able to pick up the decidedly un-special-edition red top for under $60 this past weekend.

It may not look as pretty as this special edition set, especially as it is sitting on top of a Stanley 3-drawer cabinet I got years ago courtesy of Woot (http://www.woot.com/offers/stanley-garage-3-drawer-cabinet-feb-18), but it will be pretty enough to hold tools.

jaws8817

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaws8817
rboyett wrote:Craftsman just isn't the quality name they were 30+ years ago. Frankly, Harbor Freight toolboxes are significantly better.

OUCH!

ikeepitreelz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikeepitreelz

This tool chest belongs at a hospital. White and grease dont look too well together. I have yet to fix a car where my hands came out clean.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
ikeepitreelz wrote:This tool chest belongs at a hospital.

I contemplated one for my lab/arms/electronics/assembly/hobby room.

White and grease dont look too well together. I have yet to fix a car where my hands came out clean.

Not everyone who needs a tool chest/box works on cars or works around grease.

Besides, my garage has a sink in it. Gojo and water are cheap. Winterization is easy.

I'm told there are 7 billion some people in this world. I would think that maybe some, a lot, some crazy number, may be different than you normal/special sort that grease and dirt up everything. And just maybe, maybe, some of those others just might have a use for a tool chest that isn't for their car or garage and they wanted something than the normal red, black, or stainless.

And besides, 2 of my friends are car junkies, and both of their garages are pretty spotless. They keep their stuff clean.

Myself, I already have stainless chests in my wood shop and machine shop. They have integrated lipped pulls. I like to know if I have wood stain or machinist's blue where I shouldn't or if cut myself and didn't realize it yet.

You want the normal black or red, all the power to you for your choice. That's you. Who knows, maybe someone has their own basement server room who needed storage and a place for their spare parts or tools--if so, they got a pretty nice piece of hardware for a good price.

BrokeDave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BrokeDave
rboyett wrote:Craftsman just isn't the quality name they were 30+ years ago. Frankly, Harbor Freight toolboxes are significantly better.

Maybe compared to Sear's LOWEST end tool chest sets but that's the only time. Either of those are junk, stepping up to a midrange Craftsman set at least gives you enough durability to put tools in it and roll it around.

wootprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootprincess

I am so bummed I missed this. I am building a workshop for my crafts, sewing, and stained glass work. These would be beautiful and handy in the workshop. I don't get terribly dirty with the work I do, so I LOVE the white! I don't really care about the dry-erase part though. Has anyone found these at a similar price? I wonder if WOOT will bring them back.

dmax801

HORRIBLY dented and misshapen on arrival.

Large flecks of white are peeling away from corners.

Rocks when its set flat on my garage floor, because it's so distorted. Visibly mangled.

I've been a Wooter forever and this is the worst shape a product has ever been in on delivery.

The fault is on either 1) Sears or 2) UPS.

From the FAQ here the next right step is to contact Sears?

dmax801

Sears, as I expected, is refusing to help exchange the badly damaged unit - even though I could drive 5 miles to the store and exchange for one in stock.

And, frankly, this is why it's gotten a bad rep from me lately. I had a heck of a time with a delivery that they screwed up and they insisted on going though large red tape masses instead of a simple answer. They forced me to cash in 12 hours of vacation to sit around my house and wait for a delivery that they wouldn't reschedule. I'm not their fan anymore.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dmax801 wrote:Sears, as I expected, is refusing to help exchange the badly damaged unit - even though I could drive 5 miles to the store and exchange for one in stock.

And, frankly, this is why it's gotten a bad rep from me lately. I had a heck of a time with a delivery that they screwed up and they insisted on going though large red tape masses instead of a simple answer. They forced me to cash in 12 hours of vacation to sit around my house and wait for a delivery that they wouldn't reschedule. I'm not their fan anymore.

I'm sorry for the problems with the damaged unit. Please email support@woot.com for some other options to get this taken care of.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dmax801

Wish I could've replaced the damaged bottom portion (top was fine).

Woot was very helpful, and I got some FedEx shipping labels. Had to reconstruct the cardboard that it was shipped in, since I tore it while opening it, but no hassle with the return.

Rats. Wanted the novelty...
But thanks, Woot. You came through where Sears was unwilling.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dmax801 wrote:Wish I could've replaced the damaged bottom portion (top was fine).

Woot was very helpful, and I got some FedEx shipping labels. Had to reconstruct the cardboard that it was shipped in, since I tore it while opening it, but no hassle with the return.

Rats. Wanted the novelty...
But thanks, Woot. You came through where Sears was unwilling.

We love ya, man!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dmax801

ThunderThighs wrote:We love ya, man!

Best
Of
Commerce

biggsfx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biggsfx

I received mine on Monday and opened them last night. There was a tiny nick on a back corner of the bottom box, but you can barely see it. Very happy with my purchase. I know I could have bought these same boxes in another color for cheaper. But I have been wanting something different and these boxes are exactly what I was looking for.