WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Cameras And Accessories

Camera people of days-gone-by knew that buying a camera meant paying for film. Today, it's all digital. But don't let that stop you from buying a few extra SD cards and five or six different cameras. ARE YOU COMMITTED TO THIS HOBBY OR AREN'T YOU?

Quality Posts

MuteDeCute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MuteDeCute

Other than the new/refurb condition, is there any difference between the Eye-Fi Pro and the Eye-Fi Mobile?

mjonczak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mjonczak

Does the Kodak M583 come WITH the micro SDHC memory card?

"When I die, I want to go             
as my grandfather did:                
quietly, peacefully, in his sleep. 
Not like his passengers." 

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mjonczak wrote:Does the Kodak M583 come WITH the micro SDHC memory card?

Looks like it's sold out but I don't see it listed "in the box" on the Specs.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

theindiearmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theindiearmy
MuteDeCute wrote:Other than the new/refurb condition, is there any difference between the Eye-Fi Pro and the Eye-Fi Mobile?

Looks like the Mobile version is for uploading files from your camera to your phone or mobile device. The pro is for uploading to your PC/Mac, and also allows for uploading .RAW files.

http://www.eye.fi/products

karadi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages karadi

Is Micro HDMI same as Micro USB ? Can I use micro hdmi cable to my samsung note ?

ThunderThighs

Staff

karadi wrote:Is Micro HDMI same as Micro USB ? Can I use micro hdmi cable to my samsung note ?

They are different:

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kz585

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kz585

I got the pro from woot awhile and never opened it. I'm now looking to set it up where I can send photos directly to a wireless printer while on location. Is that possible? Do I need the mobi or can I stick with the pro? Thanks for any help.

s1utster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages s1utster

Class 6???

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

s1utster wrote:Class 6???

Which sale are you inquiring about?

invertedcross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invertedcross

I'm more than a bit miffed the sellout.woot the other day for the K-01 didn't include the white one and now here it is. I actually even sent in an inquiry if there were any other colors (yellow, I was hoping) laying around. Oh well, I guess black is better for LCD visibility...

Edit: I did get my black one today though and it really does take fabulous pictures.

koguma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koguma
kz585 wrote:I got the pro from woot awhile and never opened it. I'm now looking to set it up where I can send photos directly to a wireless printer while on location. Is that possible? Do I need the mobi or can I stick with the pro? Thanks for any help.

The pro can do everything the mobi can and more. I have a pro and the 'wifi' version. I believe all of them have ad-hoc ability, same as the mobi.

gewoodworth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gewoodworth

Anyone have any comments on the tri/monopods? I've recently gotten a Canon t3 and would like to get a decent starter tripod. Anyone used these or have some pros/cons for them?

kz585

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kz585
gewoodworth wrote:Anyone have any comments on the tri/monopods? I've recently gotten a Canon t3 and would like to get a decent starter tripod. Anyone used these or have some pros/cons for them?

I'd go with manfrotto. Might be a little pricey but its worth it.

I always get nervous when my friend borrows my glass then puts her camera body on her plastic, rickety tripod.

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

Don't buy this toshiba camera. Woot puts it up every couple months and it's awful. The auto-focus doesn't actually work so everything you record is blurry. Check the amazon reviews.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
gewoodworth wrote:Anyone have any comments on the tri/monopods? I've recently gotten a Canon t3 and would like to get a decent starter tripod. Anyone used these or have some pros/cons for them?

For the money, these aren't bad — just remember that you pretty much get what you pay for.

That said, I needed a throwaround tripod and recently bought from Woot the Sunpak QSX9502TM selling here. Again, for the price, it's a surprisingly solid tripod that extends more than 6 feet (which is what I wanted/needed). And I mount a Nikon D200 with a Nikkor 18-200mm zoom and Nikon Speedlight SB-800 flash unit...a pretty heavy combination.

You're going to always have folks tell you that you need to pop for an expensive tripod — and granted, I do have a big Bogen — but if you remember what you're using (you can't, for example, torque down hard to tighten it up when you're dealing with plastic gears) the tripods sold here will work for most situations. I would, though, shy away from the unit with the pistol grip.

kagamari

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kagamari

I have a sunpak tripod, and it can handle my pentax k-30 with my 55-300mm lens on it with no problem, this is with the pistol grip head, for the price, it is a great tripod although I have not had it for a long period of time..

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion

My general rule of thumb: take the weight of the camera and lense + attachements you're using, then double it. The specs in the tripod should be able to handle this, but generally rules out tripods that are limited to 11 lbs. or less.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

jespensc

quality posts: 24 Private Messages jespensc

Oo. Clearly I have a woot problem, given how many of these items I have.

The Pentax Q is a fabulous camera, especially with the 02 telephoto lens. I've had gobs of fun with it in the past 6 months, and don't regret anything. It's not going to keep pace with a true DSLR, but I only notice that in really low light. Overall the Q has better glass & far more flexibility than anything of remotely similar size. Folks say the best camera is the one you have with you, and this is the first system camera that's just not a hassle to take everywhere. Remember to update the firmware from 1.01 to 1.10 (very easy download from Pentax/copy to SD card/update thru camera menu), which brings speed & other functions up to par with the Q10. Would definitely buy again.

The Samsung ST201 is pretty nice for a point and shoot. This became the kids' camera pretty quick, not because it's low quality by any means, but rather because it's crazy easy to use and doesn't require that you carry any special cables/charger/etc. The connector is a standard microusb (nice upgrade from the W series) and it takes a microsd card, which makes things terribly simple.

Sunpak 12 is kinda cheesy, and the light is weak. The plastic construction is flimsy and the clip-on filter is clumsy. Go for the bigger one.

Sunpak 30 otoh is lightweight but solid, very bright with an adjustment/brightness wheel, and the filter is flat and simple. It's as big as another camera body, but I'm glad I have it. It gets used.

gewoodworth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gewoodworth

Thanks everybody for all the input on the tripods! Great help from everyone.

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jimmythewoot

I can't decide (again) whether to pull the trigger on the K-01. What I have now is an old Nikon Coolpix 8700 (8mp, 8.9 - 71.2 mm lens) that takes very sharp pictures, but is also very out of date. I do have limited funds. Are there other cameras in this price range that I should consider for comparison? What am I giving up for $400?

Onomatopoeia. It's not what it sounds like.

jnjackson13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnjackson13
jimmythewoot wrote:I can't decide (again) whether to pull the trigger on the K-01. What I have now is an old Nikon Coolpix 8700 (8mp, 8.9 - 71.2 mm lens) that takes very sharp pictures, but is also very out of date. I do have limited funds. Are there other cameras in this price range that I should consider for comparison? What am I giving up for $400?

Something to consider is that the K-01 can use any Pentax K mount lens without an adapter with most functionality intact. You can easily use older manual slr lenses, which makes it a cheap and good system to buy into. The sensor is the same one that's used in Pentax's K30, and Sony's NEX. Capable of very high ISO values, very good image quality. It's not a super fast focusing camera, but it is on par with most current mirrorless systems - most use contrast recognition for focusing, so still not as as fast as a full blown dslr. The main complaints when the K-01 came out were aesthetic - some people really object to a camera that isn't a black blob. It's actually much more appealing to me than the usual thing you see in entry level dslr type cameras, and it's great that it isn't just another iteration of Leica copycat design. Also, I have pretty small hands, and I've found most of the button placement very functional, though I've read where people with super big hands found it uncomfortable.

ocelotito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocelotito

I want something to upgrade my Flip Mino. I don't really like taking video but I know it makes the kids happy to see their videos. I'm OK with the Flip but I need more zoom. Is the Samsung OK? I think it is a bargain at $80.

jimmythewoot

jnjackson13 wrote:...The sensor is the same one that's used in Pentax's K30, and Sony's NEX. Capable of very high ISO values, very good image quality. It's not a super fast focusing camera, but it is on par with most current mirrorless systems...

Thanks; that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm not used to fast focusing, so that's not a big deal. I pulled the trigger.

jnjackson13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnjackson13
jimmythewoot wrote:Thanks; that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm not used to fast focusing, so that's not a big deal. I pulled the trigger.

Excellent! I'm happy that helped! It's an underrated camera, I really love mine. I don't think you'll regret it.

vagrant10

quality posts: 12 Private Messages vagrant10
jespensc wrote:

The Pentax Q is a fabulous camera, especially with the 02 telephoto lens. I've had gobs of fun with it in the past 6 months, and don't regret anything. It's not going to keep pace with a true DSLR, but I only notice that in really low light. Overall the Q has better glass & far more flexibility than anything of remotely similar size. Folks say the best camera is the one you have with you, and this is the first system camera that's just not a hassle to take everywhere.

Here's a shot I took with the Q and the 02 zoom lens the other day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/9074700926/

Really love this camera. Durable, good video and audio (concert police tend to let this size of camera in even though my pockets are full of lenses - suckaz!). I was a complete skeptic on the Q for a long time, but this post kind of changed how I looked at it:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1130914-pentax-q-real-world-user-review.html
I think this is the first review where the person really understood the concept... the review comes in installments so skip through the comments to get to the next part of the review.

jimmythewoot

jnjackson13 wrote:Excellent! I'm happy that helped! It's an underrated camera, I really love mine. I don't think you'll regret it.

I've taken a few introductory pix, charged the battery, and even read the manual a bit. This is, so far, one nice little camera! If anyone stumbles upon this thread while researching the K-01, here's a link to recommended initial settings from the Pentax K-01 forum.

And the lenses alone go for $199 apiece on the Pentax website. I guess they throw in the camera body for free, sort of like razors and razor blades...

therock1602v

quality posts: 0 Private Messages therock1602v

just received the SAMSUNG Nx1000. Will not set to AF and manual focus ring just spins without focusing. When you depress the shutter release, all I get is a message to check the lense. Very disappointed aand frustrated with this. I hope the powers to be at WOOT take care of my problem.....quickly!!

ROGETRAY

Staff

therock1602v wrote:just received the SAMSUNG Nx1000. Will not set to AF and manual focus ring just spins without focusing. When you depress the shutter release, all I get is a message to check the lense. Very disappointed aand frustrated with this. I hope the powers to be at WOOT take care of my problem.....quickly!!

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your order.
Please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to help you find a resolution.

button88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages button88

I just ordered the following Sony camera:
http://www.woot.com/offers/sony-hd-camcorder-w-8gb-sdhc-card-4

And I received an email that my order was cancelled. I sent an email to woot and still have not received a reply. It's been 2 days. Should I wait longer? I saw somewhere they said to post in the forums and that I might get a quicker answer but I don't know if that applies to this type of issue. Any info/help would be great. Thanks.

ROGETRAY

Staff

button88 wrote:I just ordered the following Sony camera:

And I received an email that my order was cancelled. I sent an email to woot and still have not received a reply. It's been 2 days. Should I wait longer? I saw somewhere they said to post in the forums and that I might get a quicker answer but I don't know if that applies to this type of issue. Any info/help would be great. Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply and to hear that your order was cancelled. I recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider as sometimes Woot Member Services responses get filtered there.

I will forward your post along to them and see if I can't find you a resolve. I would also suggest that you if you don't get a response soon to rewrite into support@woot.com

ThunderThighs

Staff

button88 wrote:I just ordered the following Sony camera:

Hey Button, just heard back from CS. They can't find an email from the email showing on this woot account. Did you email from a different email address? Can you either PM me that email addy so they can hunt it up or email again either using the email addy on your account or making sure to give your woot username and order number. Without that info, they can't match the email to a person/order.

Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR

button88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages button88
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey Button, just heard back from CS. They can't find an email from the email showing on this woot account. Did you email from a different email address? Can you either PM me that email addy so they can hunt it up or email again either using the email addy on your account or making sure to give your woot username and order number. Without that info, they can't match the email to a person/order.

Thanks!

Thanks ROGETRAY and ThunderThighs! I have sent support an email and received the automated reply with my case number. I sent you a PM ThunderThighs.

Thank you for the help.