WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

All Kinds Of Backpacks

You've got a monkey on your back, and that monkey's name is "outdoorsmanship" and it's just now hitting you that you can't put a change of clothes in your monkey. So switch to a backpack! Anyway, your monkey will be happier at home.

thejenandonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejenandonly

Say, Woot!, aren't these backpacks something along the lines of camping accessories that should be included in the sports section?

mbren28568

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbren28568

I'm just curious - where does woot get their idea of "retail price" from? I tend to shop Amazon, woot's mama, for comparison purposes - and while there's no denying that these packs are a great deal, I don't see them listed for ANYWHERE near the suggested "$200 retail"....

In fact, after a few minutes of searching, the absolute HIGHEST price I could find was $134 or therabouts....

Signature was getting too long
Bungled Original Communicator - 6/3/2013

bsmith1

quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1
mbren28568 wrote:I'm just curious - where does woot get their idea of "retail price" from? I tend to shop Amazon...

Yeah...Amazon doesn't usually sell things at MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price), so you're not going to be able to find "retail" price comparisons there.
I think these are all discontinued models, so I couldn't find the manufacturer's price, but here is another 65 Frame model that has a non-sale price of $280. http://www.highsierra.com/High-Sierra-Titan-Frame-Pack/dp/B00AAK3BOC Woot sets the retail price according to what the manufacturer tells them it should be worth. The manufacturers think their products are way cool, so they always overprice 'em.
This is how EVERY retailer sets their retail vs sale prices. Have you not noticed that the MSRP is always high everywhere you look?

ObsessiveCompulsive

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ObsessiveCompulsive
mbren28568 wrote:I'm just curious - where does woot get their idea of "retail price" from? I tend to shop Amazon, woot's mama, for comparison purposes - and while there's no denying that these packs are a great deal, I don't see them listed for ANYWHERE near the suggested "$200 retail"....

In fact, after a few minutes of searching, the absolute HIGHEST price I could find was $134 or therabouts....

We get this information from the manufacturer or distributor, a required field they must complete in order to set the item up in our system. We do not refer to the price as "Retail" we refer to it as List Price. List is the suggestion from the manufacturer of what the market should bring for the product AKA MSRP (Manufacture Suggested Retail Price).

Regardless of what we list, you (as an intelligent shopper) are going to do your due diligence and make sure the deal is a good one, as you have done with these products. Kind of like a new car, you probably don't pay "Sticker" or MSRP when you buy one.

tweepop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tweepop

Can the 65L High Sierra pack count as a carry on for flights?

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

tweepop wrote:Can the 65L High Sierra pack count as a carry on for flights?

Given the dimensions, you should be ok with most airlines. However, I'd suggest checking the airline website just to be sure.

Hope that helps!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

egonitron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egonitron

Anybody know if this (the High Sierra Bobcat 65 Frame Backpack - Amazon Pine) would comfortably fit a 6'4" tall dude?

Has anybody used a pack like this? How does it compare to a typical hiking backpack?

I would basically be living out of this backpack, traveling long-term.

wingnutpld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wingnutpld
egonitron wrote:Anybody know if this (the High Sierra Bobcat 65 Frame Backpack - Amazon Pine) would comfortably fit a 6'4" tall dude?

Has anybody used a pack like this? How does it compare to a typical hiking backpack?

Reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/High%20Sierra%20Bobcat%2065%20External%20Frame/

Sizing:
it goes up to a 22" torso length A good video detailing how to measure torso length as well as information outlining the benefits of internal vs external frame packs can be found here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/backpack-guide/

Hope that helps.

qex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qex
egonitron wrote:Anybody know if this (the High Sierra Bobcat 65 Frame Backpack - Amazon Pine) would comfortably fit a 6'4" tall dude?

My friend bought this one the last time it was listed and the build quality is very good. I'm not sure what you mean "Compare with a typical hiking backpack"...this is a typical backpack. External frame packs are cooler, ride higher (which helps you stand up straighter and puts more of the weight on your hips/legs) vs internal frame packs. You can also strap stuff to the outside of the pack to the frame, so it can carry a lot. There is plenty of cushion on the straps/belt, so I think it'll be pretty comfortable for most people if it is adjusted correctly to fit you.

As for the height issue, I'm 6'5" and it would work for me (I have a pretty long torso).

It should do just fine for you.

egonitron

wingnutpld wrote:Reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/High%20Sierra%20Bobcat%2065%20External%20Frame/

Sizing:
it goes up to a 22" torso length A good video detailing how to measure torso length as well as information outlining the benefits of internal vs external frame packs can be found here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/backpack-guide/

Hope that helps.

Helps a ton, thanks! Great resources. Trying to decide on something that I'll be using literally every day for months at a time.

egonitron

qex wrote:My friend bought this one the last time it was listed and the build quality is very good. I'm not sure what you mean "Compare with a typical hiking backpack"...this is a typical backpack. External frame packs are cooler, ride higher (which helps you stand up straighter and puts more of the weight on your hips/legs) vs internal frame packs. You can also strap stuff to the outside of the pack to the frame, so it can carry a lot. There is plenty of cushion on the straps/belt, so I think it'll be pretty comfortable for most people if it is adjusted correctly to fit you.

As for the height issue, I'm 6'5" and it would work for me (I have a pretty long torso).

It should do just fine for you.

Thanks for the verification it'll work with my height, that's a big issue I run into and why I'm weary buying online for stuff like this.

I should have clarified, I meant that I almost exclusively see internal frame backpacks, and as a result have been looking mostly at those. What's the drawback of an external frame then?

xtnpd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtnpd
egonitron wrote:Thanks for the verification it'll work with my height, that's a big issue I run into and why I'm weary buying online for stuff like this.

I should have clarified, I meant that I almost exclusively see internal frame backpacks, and as a result have been looking mostly at those. What's the drawback of an external frame then?

Personal taste? I have both internal and external frame packs. I prefer the external frame packs; my wife likes the internal frame. drawback might be the hard frame bumping into stuff when you aren't wearing it - they tend to have a different "footprint" than the internal frame packs. I like they way they pack and feel on my back; they tend to carry the weight a smidge higher, and that makes all the difference to me.

qex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qex
xtnpd wrote:Personal taste? I have both internal and external frame packs. I prefer the external frame packs; my wife likes the internal frame. drawback might be the hard frame bumping into stuff when you aren't wearing it - they tend to have a different "footprint" than the internal frame packs. I like they way they pack and feel on my back; they tend to carry the weight a smidge higher, and that makes all the difference to me.

Agreed, external frames are a bit wider and taller, so your arm movement is more limited and you have a better chance of getting caught if you are hiking through brush or low hanging trees. I prefer them as well.