WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! This week the Woot.com is celebrating Fitness Week, as the idea of being fit overwhelms all our normal programming. Scott's put down the potato chips and went hunting for five songs about sports, just to get us all being active. Let's begin with a slow warm-up here...

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

Not really the music you'd expect anyone to walk into Madison Square Garden to, but still, nice enough, right? There's nothing more lovely and mysterious than an old fighter. And yet, even an old fighter is probably in respectable shape. Don't challenge him. He'll sit you down on your butt.

Jumping is healthy exercise! So see you after the jump.

Kurtis Blow - Basketball

There was a time when rap wasn't about how tough you were, it was about how smart you were. Okay, well, it was also about how tough you were too. Maybe that's why Kurtis Blow, one of rap's pioneers, focused on his love for one of the toughest sports.

The Business - Maradona NSFW due to sports profanity

This catchy, high-energy song is entirely because one soccer player beat a team The Business supported. To be fair The Hand Of God goal was pretty much blatant cheating in a World Cup, so it's hard not to be on the side of The Business in this one. Even if they did write a song about it twice.

Flying Lotus - Table Tennis

Don't you EVEN say ping pong isn't a sport, or you'll have to answer to an army of Woot ping pong fanatics. We have tiny paddles AND WE'RE NOT SCARED TO USE THEM!!!!

Freddie McGregor - Jogging

It always helps to be in shape when a crisis comes. Today, you download apps to help you run away from imaginary zombies. Back in the day, it was Armageddon. This reggae song smoothly reminds joggers to stay on the righteous track, lest they jog astray into Babylon, where no roads are paved. Good advice, really. And a nice cool down song.

Whew! Good workout, everyone! Now hit the showers, get changed, then visit our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

Obviously... (NSFW)

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102
dougall wrote:Obviously...

Since I can't get YouTube at work, was that Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" posted above? If not I'll add it to the list.

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
chicken0102 wrote:Since I can't get YouTube at work, was that Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" posted above? If not I'll add it to the list.

Physical is ALL YOURS.

mossygreen

Once again, there is a perfect Wombles song which has not been uploaded to youtube (probably because it has not been released on cd to the best of my knowledge). Happily, British singing trio The Beverly Sisters covered in the '80's for some reason. It's not the same, but will have to do.
Exercise is Good For You (Laziness is Not)

The only other possibly fitness-related song I can think of right now is Foetus' Finely Honed Machine, which I think may be a speed-fueled, industrial/dance answer to Macho Man

MuteDeCute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MuteDeCute

Since sports can be physical, I'll give you baseball ...

dougall

chicken0102 wrote:Since I can't get YouTube at work, was that Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" posted above? If not I'll add it to the list.

Nope... Queen's bicycle race.

I'll probably post some more later.

MuteDeCute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MuteDeCute

"I'm working out 'most everyday and watching what I eat."

mossygreen

Oh! Double Dutch

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Dance is a great form of fitness. So, EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

"Gonna Make You Sweat"

And, Whitney ... "I Wanna Dance with Somebody"

dougall

An invitation to a ping pong ball?

Guess who's been on match of the day?

(you have... in your big shorts!)

Maybe sport as a general concept

mossygreen

dougall wrote:An invitation to a ping pong ball?

Maybe sport as a general concept

DAMN IT!

Really, though, isn't Sport (the odd boy) more about the opposite of physical fitness?

PS We are different people, right?

PPS I would counter with The Jungle is Jumping, but again, APPARENTLY NOT ON YOUTUBE.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

You can't have a sports song list without this classic by Tim & Eric

Sports!

dougall

mossygreen wrote:Really, though, isn't Sport (the odd boy) more about the opposite of physical fitness?

I wouldn't necessarily say the opposite, but more commentary on those who do/don't participate in the activities...not that I can relate of course.

anyways...

give him a ball and a yard of grass -

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Along with Queen's Bicycle Race (which should be marked totally NSFW btw, Wiring the Future! some folks may not know that) is...

The Jellydots - Bicycle

Shonen Knife - Cycling Is Fun

pmillsrulz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmillsrulz

Sports bring to mind track and cross-country...

Also, boxing...

And then, maybe a little dance-cardio...

Also, I wish I'd remembered Physical by Olivia Newton John. So marvelous!!

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Gotta be fit to survive.

Try this for exercise:

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:Along with Queen's Bicycle Race (which should be marked totally NSFW btw, Wiring the Future! some folks may not know that) is...

Years ago I read in an interview that all the bicycle seats had to be thrown away. Now, of course, they would be sold online.

mossygreen

It's always a good time for Amanda Lear! I don't know why there are people writhing on the floor behind her.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

couple days late:

Jackson Browne
Running on Empty

The recently deceased Stompin Tom Connors Hockey Song

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Nobody's mentioned the Cookie Monster HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL from the 80's - "Healthy Food"
(I don't remember if I thought it was scary or not, but others sure seem to...)

Um...

Skip to my Lou?

And... um... OH! The classic "Shape-up or Ship-out" montage in Mulan. (I swear, those princesses never actually work to get their bodies. At least Mulan can throw her weight around.)

mossygreen

Moueska wrote:And... um... OH! The classic "Shape-up or Ship-out" montage in Mulan. (I swear, those princesses never actually work to get their bodies. At least Mulan can throw her weight around.)

I've never seen Mulan. I take it it's basically Yentl but with ass-kicking replacing Talmud study?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
mossygreen wrote:I've never seen Mulan. I take it it's basically Yentl but with ass-kicking replacing Talmud study?

Yes, but I doubt Yentl has a bad guy as epic as Mulan does.

mossygreen

Moueska wrote:Yes, but I doubt Yentl has a bad guy as epic as Mulan does.

Yentl's greatest obstacle is her uncontrollable passion for a young Mandy Patinkin. So, it depends on how much you like Mandy Patinkin.