WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Steam On!

Have you guys heard of this new technology? Steam? Maybe one day they'll do something really cool with it, like build a train or a boat that runs on it. But until then, we've got this cool steam cleaning stuff.

Quality Posts

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle

Question: Are the tank capacities for the Haan garment steamer and Haan floor steamer reversed?

The tank capacity of the garment steamer is listed as 2,500 ml (84.5 fl. oz.) and the floor steamer is 900 ml, 30 fluid oz.

Having NEVER used a floor steamer nor a dedicated garment steamer I could be wrong, but I'd think the floor steamer would need to use more water over a longer period of time.

photoguy83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photoguy83

I do not recommend buying any of the Haan products. Go with the Shark instead. Our house is all tile and hard wood. With 2 kids and 2 dogs we steam frequently. Our water is notoriously hard, so we use distilled water in the tanks AND use the cleaning solution recommended by Haan to make sure the media that moves the water from the tank to the steamer never fills with calcium or other contaminates.

Since 2011, we have gone through 4 HAAN SI-70 Multi Purpose Floor Steamers. Each time, the company tried to blame it on our hard water or improper maintenance. Bull crap. We use as pure of water as you can find AND use the cleaner.

We switched to the Shark brand steam mop and it is WAY better. It puts out more steam, the pads are bigger and scrub better, and you can flip over the pad so you don't have to switch out pads so much. We love it, our maid loves it, and we haven't had any degradation in performance since we've had it, unlike the HAAN ones.

Yimmy149

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yimmy149
Phillystyle wrote:Question: Are the tank capacities for the Haan garment steamer and Haan floor steamer reversed?

The tank capacity of the garment steamer is listed as 2,500 ml (84.5 fl. oz.) and the floor steamer is 900 ml, 30 fluid oz.

Having NEVER used a floor steamer nor a dedicated garment steamer I could be wrong, but I'd think the floor steamer would need to use more water over a longer period of time.

I don't think they are reversed. The floor steamer is a boiler style tank, with a high pressure lid. If the garment steamer is like the one I have, it's just a plastic tank, the water flows down to a heating element, but it doesn't develop pressure.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Phillystyle wrote:Question: Are the tank capacities for the Haan garment steamer and Haan floor steamer reversed?

The floor steamer specs match the Haan site.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sbudnic1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbudnic1

I've never understood how these work, can someone explain? when you push a vaccuum cleaner around, it sucks up the dirt, same with a carpet steamer, but this is more like what, a mop? it pushes dirt around? where does the dirt go?

romanomnom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romanomnom
sbudnic1 wrote:I've never understood how these work, can someone explain? when you push a vaccuum cleaner around, it sucks up the dirt, same with a carpet steamer, but this is more like what, a mop? it pushes dirt around? where does the dirt go?

Uhm, are you serious? You vacuum first to get rid of loose dirt. Then, go over it with either a mop, or one of these steamers which act as a mop, while using the power of steam to sanitize and clean.

nurlip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nurlip
sbudnic1 wrote:I've never understood how these work, can someone explain? when you push a vaccuum cleaner around, it sucks up the dirt, same with a carpet steamer, but this is more like what, a mop? it pushes dirt around? where does the dirt go?

Yah what the other guy said but its also important to note that these are NOT carpet steamers. these are for just about anything else in the house except the carpet actually and their function, in terms of cleaning, is more sanitation than cleaning. They are useful for loosening hardened food/dirt/whatever but generally i would think you'd be better off sweeping your kitchen/bathroom floors/surfaces first, then steaming to kill bacteria. In the long run, i'm sure a steamer is cheaper than the total cost of all the '409' type cleaning products you would use in place of a steamer.

offshorebreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages offshorebreeze
photoguy83 wrote:I do not recommend buying any of the Haan products. Go with the Shark instead. Our house is all tile and hard wood. With 2 kids and 2 dogs we steam frequently. Our water is notoriously hard, so we use distilled water in the tanks AND use the cleaning solution recommended by Haan to make sure the media that moves the water from the tank to the steamer never fills with calcium or other contaminates.

Since 2011, we have gone through 4 HAAN SI-70 Multi Purpose Floor Steamers. Each time, the company tried to blame it on our hard water or improper maintenance. Bull crap. We use as pure of water as you can find AND use the cleaner.

We switched to the Shark brand steam mop and it is WAY better. It puts out more steam, the pads are bigger and scrub better, and you can flip over the pad so you don't have to switch out pads so much. We love it, our maid loves it, and we haven't had any degradation in performance since we've had it, unlike the HAAN ones.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the market for my first one.

stnogo3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stnogo3

I purchased this on woot a while back. Seemed like a good deal. The thing was broken when I got it and the customer service department offered to have me pay to ship it and send a paid return tag. It would have cost me $35 to ship the stupid thing back to them. Be very weary of anything from the Haan company...

bjgrecco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjgrecco

I bought the Shark refurb from Big Lots for about 10 bucks more about 3 years ago...mine still works like a champ! I love my Shark!

medscript

quality posts: 4 Private Messages medscript
photoguy83 wrote:I do not recommend buying any of the Haan products. Go with the Shark instead. Our house is all tile and hard wood. With 2 kids and 2 dogs we steam frequently. Our water is notoriously hard, so we use distilled water in the tanks AND use the cleaning solution recommended by Haan to make sure the media that moves the water from the tank to the steamer never fills with calcium or other contaminates.

offshorebreeze wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm in the market for my first one.

Just to provide an opinion on the other side. I bought my wife an SI-75 from Haan and she has loved it. Cleans better than a mop and she loves that she can sanitize the bed as well because she has a dust mite allergy. We have had no issues with it in the past 6 month that we have owned it. We also have very hard water and decided to use distilled water. Honestly anything that uses a heating element should use distilled water for longevity. We purchased the Haan because the shark had poor reviews and usability issues. Concerning the amount of steam and pads. I purchased terry cloths on amazon that my wife likes more than the OEM pads. They come in a 3-pack for like 20 bucks. While the shark looks like it produces more steam, I think the question should be how is that steam directed? If I flip the head on my haan I can see a whole bunch of steam but does that mean that the steam is hitting the area I need it to? This is basically the issue with the shark that we found.

This is what I have learned about looking for a steam mop as far as what questions to ask:

1)How is the steam pushed through the system (manual pumping like some shark models or an electric pump like haan)

2)What accessories are included?

3)Is the water container removable to be filled?

4)What is the warranty length?

5)How is warranty fulfilled if I need to use it?

6)Do I need to use a cleaner monthly to remove deposits?

7)How much does the cleaner cost?

8)How easy is it to purchase parts such as the cleaner or parts that I need to replace?

9)How fast does the steamer warm up?

10)How long is the cord for the steamer

11)How is the steam distributed along the head of the steamer?

12)Does the steamer stand up on its own or does it need to be leaned against something?

13)How hot does the steam get? This is important for sanitation purposes.

14)Can it be used for other things than just floors?

I hope this helps. Remember to try watching some youtube videos as well to see the products in action.

sbudnic1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbudnic1
romanomnom wrote:Uhm, are you serious? You vacuum first to get rid of loose dirt. Then, go over it with either a mop, or one of these steamers which act as a mop, while using the power of steam to sanitize and clean.

yes I'm serious, hence the question ;)

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

i purchased a garment steamer!

suck it, dry cleaners!!!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

farmboyWI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farmboyWI

Will this contraption steam clean carpets?

WhaThe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhaThe

I have the floor steamer. Only used it a couple of times so far but do like it. What I really love it for is cleaning the glass in my shower. It quickly strips off the soap scum.

Also, it has a carpet attachment. I need to try that out this weekend on the little bit of carpet I have.

Denethor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Denethor
farmboyWI wrote:Will this contraption steam clean carpets?

No, as stated above, this is NOT a steam cleaner with vacuum, it only outputs steam to sanitize surfaces or help cut through dried on or caked up substances like on stove and grill. You then would need to wipe up the debris once loosened by this. It does come with towels and mop heads that essentially do all that in one step for hard surfaces, but the towels/sponge will dirty quickly if you don't first get the bulk up. Again these type of devices are used to get up stubborn stains/odors and sanitize. The carpet glider attachment is to sanitize/deodorize the carpet after its been cleaned.

dupreydd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dupreydd

I have the handheld shark garment steamer that I bought the last time it was on Woot. I have to say, I really like it. It works better than my Rowenta upright steamer. If you're looking for a good clothes steamer, this is a good buy.

pndragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pndragon

I have no room for an ironing board and I've been tempted at getting a vertical garment steamer before... was considering getting the SunBeam 1500 watt steamer and then I saw this Amazon review:

Amazon Review

Pros:
Good amount of steam. That is the main feature. Your iron holds one cup of water but this hold about one gallon, so it can be generous with steam.

Cons:
The contraption to hold your clothes does not work easily. So you end up spending as much time fudging with it as you would spend time re-positioning your garment with a regular iron. The bottom pins move horizontally and cannot stay in spot. If you want to iron a shirt you need to collapse the extended pole and bend/squat to iron, because the bottom rack does not move up, you have to lower the top portion.

Perhaps if you come up with a set of home-invented gadgets to hold your garment in place you can use the product effectively. The product has potential if they redesign and add such gadgets. It is a bit hard to explain so it is best to see the product in a big store and pretend to iron a shirt and a pant there to see the issues.

It is very good for getting wrinkles from linens and such. However do not expect it iron the top of a pant. It is just good for the leg portion, you cannot do fine
ironing and such with this one. It is still good to make your clothes acceptable looking.

Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other on this? I feel that if this particular garment steamer is difficult to work with, I'll use it just as infrequently as I do my mini-ironing board and iron.

tugboatobb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tugboatobb
pndragon wrote:I have no room for an ironing board and I've been tempted at getting a vertical garment steamer before... was considering getting the SunBeam 1500 watt steamer and then I saw this Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1W1YUU7D7GKC8/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1W1YUU7D7GKC8

Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other on this? I feel that if this particular garment steamer is difficult to work with, I'll use it just as infrequently as I do my mini-ironing board and iron.

Personally I'm a big fan of my sunbeam. Your not going to get super sharp creases with a steamer, if that's what you want you need to stick with an iron. But if you are looking for something to remove wrinkles quickly from clothing it is pretty awesome.

Think about how often you need sharp creases vs. being wrinkle free. The sunbeam is really quick and easy to use.

The first time I used it I had to mess around a bit to figure out the best way to hang my clothes on it but I figured it out pretty quickly.

Overall its quick and easy and personally it really helps me look better whenever I leave the house, a quick steam for my shirts and pants goes a long way.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pndragon wrote:I have no room for an ironing board and I've been tempted at getting a vertical garment steamer before... was considering getting the SunBeam 1500 watt steamer and then I saw this Amazon review:

I have this one and had another that didn't have a hanger thingy, just a hook to hang something.

I agree that the hanger thingy is sometimes unwieldy but I prefer it to the hook only version. I've used the top clippy thingies for shorts. The bottom ones don't work as well as I hoped but they're not a deal breaker for me.

I haven't ironed since I got it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

emyershar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emyershar
ThunderThighs wrote:I have this one and had another that didn't have a hanger thingy, just a hook to hang something.

I agree that the hanger thingy is sometimes unwieldy but I prefer it to the hook only version. I've used the top clippy thingies for shorts. The bottom ones don't work as well as I hoped but they're not a deal breaker for me.

I haven't ironed since I got it.

Am I the only person who uses the dryer for this? Dampen a washcloth, toss it in with my clothes for 3 minutes, comes out pretty good?

techiegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techiegirl

Amazon Review

I LOVE this steamer, but I don't use either of the hangars, I steam the garment on the hangar it will go in my closet on (I use the Joy Mangano hangars). I keep one regular hangar with clips for my shorts etc.

CerealSam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CerealSam
pndragon wrote:Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other on this? I feel that if this particular garment steamer is difficult to work with, I'll use it just as infrequently as I do my mini-ironing board and iron.

Just got mine. Very disappointed in the 386ically designed built-in "hanger." It doesn't even have a way to use your own hanger, which would make steaming several items quick, simple and easy. It is very short. Other than that, it seems to work okay on first use.

meebeep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meebeep

not that anyone cares, but I purchased the Haan multi purpose steamer and it arrived non-functioning. indicator lights work, but no steam. Now I'm dealing with Haan to try to get a repair or working unit but it seems I'm obligated to pay freight for this heavy item, costing almost as much as I paid for it. I know woot doesn't do returns, but sending a non-functioning items?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

meebeep wrote:not that anyone cares, but I purchased the Haan multi purpose steamer and it arrived non-functioning. indicator lights work, but no steam. Now I'm dealing with Haan to try to get a repair or working unit but it seems I'm obligated to pay freight for this heavy item, costing almost as much as I paid for it. I know woot doesn't do returns, but sending a non-functioning items?

Eghhhh. That does sound pretty bad.
If you haven't already, I would at least recommend writing into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and letting them know. They might be able to assist you in resolving the issue. They should be able to answer any questions or concerns you have about your purchase.

Elminster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Elminster
meebeep wrote:not that anyone cares, but I purchased the Haan multi purpose steamer and it arrived non-functioning. indicator lights work, but no steam. Now I'm dealing with Haan to try to get a repair or working unit but it seems I'm obligated to pay freight for this heavy item, costing almost as much as I paid for it. I know woot doesn't do returns, but sending a non-functioning items?

I actually just opened mine last weekend for the first time and tried to use it. It has serious leaking problems from the handle and hoses, and very poor steam. Water leaked all over the kitchen.