WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

DuraLock Pistol Hard Cases

Sure, these cases are a great way to keep your firearms safe and secure, but they would also make an ideal hibernation location for a 17-year cicada. Just tuck that little guy in your closet for a couple decades -- but don't forget to let him out in 2030! 

buy4me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buy4me

You got your "single."
You got your "double."
My big guess is that single holds one pistol & double holds two (being Woot, however, we can't "assume", only guess.)
Then you got your "deluxe" and your "extra large" which rolls.
Numbers! I need numbers!
So is the deluxe a "threeble" which holds three pistols? Extra large - a "fourble" or even "moreble"? How many pistols can be housed in the last two cases? (Minus the insect activity.)

rkraut37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkraut37
buy4me wrote:You got your "single."
You got your "double."
My big guess is that single holds one pistol & double holds two (being Woot, however, we can't "assume", only guess.)
Then you got your "deluxe" and your "extra large" which rolls.
Numbers! I need numbers!
So is the deluxe a "threeble" which holds three pistols? Extra large - a "fourble" or even "moreble"? How many pistols can be housed in the last two cases? (Minus the insect activity.)

Seriously... Enough of the cutest descriptions. We need real info.

FYI: The only difference I see between the two is that the Deluxe is two inches thicker... Not sure why you'd need that for pistols though.

mpez0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mpez0
rkraut37 wrote:
FYI: The only difference I see between the two is that the Deluxe is two inches thicker... Not sure why you'd need that for pistols though.

You have the inside dimensions of the case. How big are your pistols (and ammo, cleaning gear, etc)?

You could put several of James Bond's PPKs in a box that would only hold one Dirty Harry Automag.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

These look great if you are keeping a firearm on the boat or going shark or alligator fishing but I still think I perfer a range bag to travel with, and a safe to store at home. These don't appear to be FAA compliant so they are not good to travel with either.
Still the idea is kinda cool.

Edited for my poor spelling and typing.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith

You know, just because it says that it is a "pistol case" does not mean that is the only thing you can put in there. These cases (and the ones that were on sport.woot a couple days ago - THANKS!) are great for storing anything fragile or sensitive. Camera equipment, computer equipment, tools - you name it. They can be locked to keep honest people honest, and can be locked to something else to slow down dishonest people.

Perhaps we should get a few to store the Constitution in. It would appear that some people would like to break it up and remove parts of it.

Glen

abarbee314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages abarbee314
glenasmith wrote:You know, just because it says that it is a "pistol case" does not mean that is the only thing you can put in there. These cases (and the ones that were on sport.woot a couple days ago - THANKS!) are great for storing anything fragile or sensitive. Camera equipment, computer equipment, tools - you name it. They can be locked to keep honest people honest, and can be locked to something else to slow down dishonest people.

Perhaps we should get a few to store the Constitution in. It would appear that some people would like to break it up and remove parts of it.

Glen

There you go! Multi-purpose these bad boys! Woot should have chimed in with a similar response itself. ;)

"No one was ever fired for smiling too much." (Me)

workingstiff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages workingstiff

I agree! FAA approved would close this deal for me! California approved would be a plus for travel, though I don't live with that extreme parinoia.

philosopherott wrote:These look great if you are keeping a firearm on the boat or going shark or alligator fishing but I still think I perfer a range bag to travel with, and a safe to store at home. These don't appear to be FAA compliant do they are not good to travel with either.
Still the idea is kinda cool.

ddarity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddarity

Any reviews on DuraLock. Im unable to find anything. Looks alot like Pelican.

glenasmith

ddarity wrote:Any reviews on DuraLock. Im unable to find anything. Looks alot like Pelican.

I could not find anything either, DuraLock looks to be a model or brand for SportLock http://www.sportlockllc.com/ but there is no information on the SportLock website either.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

hello fine folks.

i had to do a lot of housekeeping here because of personal attacks and generally off-topic posts. sorry.

let's try to focus on the product and not all the broader stuff. thanks much.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

golfroot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages golfroot

LAPG has a deal on Bail Out Bags... http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Also, jumbo BOB and pistol case... http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-range-bag-kit.html

Good deal on both!

mtnhrdgr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2
glenasmith wrote:Perhaps we should get a few to store the Constitution in. It would appear that some people would like to break it up and remove parts of it.

Glen

That is just beautiful Glen. I wish I could give you a quality post!

PemberDucky wrote:hello fine folks.

i had to do a lot of housekeeping here because of personal attacks and generally off-topic posts. sorry.

I missed all the fun!

mend0za

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mend0za

Does anyone know if the Nerf guns from the other sale will fit in these cases?

p0diabl0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p0diabl0

These are just rebranded Seahorse cases with absolutely nothing added as far as I can tell aside from dollars to the price. SE 310, SE 710, SE 720, and SE 920 are the model numbers off the top of my head.

markmc27

quality posts: 6 Private Messages markmc27

Someone said these are not FAA approved? I have taken a shotgun on a plane Believe it or not in a soft carry bag. Nothing fancy just a Remington 870. I guess handguns are different.

This was pre 09/11 just showed it to poor check in clerk,when I said "OK I will show you its broken down" she said "I believe you". Then checked it under to plane with my dogs and heavy luggage. Our car had died on Orcas Island WA.

glenasmith

markmc27 wrote:Someone said these are not FAA approved? I have taken a shotgun on a plane Believe it or not in a soft carry bag. Nothing fancy just a Remington 870. I guess handguns are different.

I'm guessing things are a little more strict now. I sent an email to Boyt Harness regarding the sport.woot cases of last week, which claimed to be:

designed and engineered to meet or exceed law enforcement, military and airline standards.

and checked the FAA / TSA website. The note I got back from Boyt said:

The case is drilled for a lock. You need to purchase a TSA approved lock for traveling and you are good to go!

The TSA website says:

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

It looks to me like these will qualify for traveling with a firearm, but I have not touched one, have not tried it and am not a trained professional.

piercedgeek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages piercedgeek

Holy cow, you hit the nail on the head! Went to look up Seahorse cases and... wow.. exactly the same thing! So is this the actual Seahorse company selling a rebranded version, hoping to market it as a higher end brand, or some Chinese knock-off? (The second would burn even more, considering Seahorse is touted as being US made, why is a 'cheap' knock-off more expensive?!?)

p0diabl0 wrote:These are just rebranded Seahorse cases with absolutely nothing added as far as I can tell aside from dollars to the price. SE 310, SE 710, SE 720, and SE 920 are the model numbers off the top of my head.

rjsdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsdad
glenasmith wrote:It looks to me like these will qualify for traveling with a firearm, but I have not touched one, have not tried it and am not a trained professional.

Just a note about "TSA locks"

DO NOT USE A TSA LOCK ON YOUR PISTOL/FIREARM CASES.

That means that anyone with a TSA master key (baggage handlers, security, etc...) can unlock it.

The rules actually state NOT to use a TSA lock if I'm not mistaken.

piercedgeek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages piercedgeek
glenasmith wrote:The case is drilled for a lock. You need to purchase a TSA approved lock for traveling and you are good to go!

Actually, for the purposes of flying with a gun, I've always heard it suggested to NOT use a TSA lock.
Saw some guy talk about using a gun(which includes starter pistols BTW) as an excuse to use legitimate locks on his expensive electronic equipment rather than the cheap TSA ones, after having thousands of dollars worth of gear stolen in the past.

And while anyone can get past any lock given time/tools, it's a lot more obvious if a baggage handler or TSA person are going at your bag with bolt cutters in the corner vs using a master key on a TSA lock

glenasmith

I saw (perhaps) that same video. As far as what lock to use, I agree that you should not use the crippled locks that allow TSA to open them if you have a firearm in the case. I think that when securing a firearm, a "TSA approved lock" means a quality padlock.

Glen

Whitewind

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Whitewind

I may have been one of them. If I was, I apologize to you, the Woot! community and any individual(s)...Attacks on the Constitution tend to get me a bit riled.

PemberDucky wrote:hello fine folks.

ddarity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddarity
p0diabl0 wrote:These are just rebranded Seahorse cases with absolutely nothing added as far as I can tell aside from dollars to the price. SE 310, SE 710, SE 720, and SE 920 are the model numbers off the top of my head.

Thanks so much for this! Dont know how you found it, your google-fu must be strong! I would like to nominate this for a Quality Post.... i honestly don't know what that means, but this was of great assistance to me..

landona

quality posts: 1 Private Messages landona

found the Seahorse SE-720F for just $69.12 of Amazon. Same case - better price... & free shipping. We'll see how it stands up in comparison to my Pellican cases.

kangaroo 7432

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kangaroo 7432
glenasmith wrote:You know, just because it says that it is a "pistol case" does not mean that is the only thing you can put in there. These cases (and the ones that were on sport.woot a couple days ago - THANKS!) are great for storing anything fragile or sensitive. Camera equipment, computer equipment, tools - you name it. They can be locked to keep honest people honest, and can be locked to something else to slow down dishonest people.

Glen

mary hedeen

kangaroo 7432

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kangaroo 7432
kangaroo 7432 wrote:

does anyone know how these are actually "locked" - doesn't appear that it has an auto device, so just use an old padlock?

mary hedeen

rambo91145

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145

Thought I would chime in-these are identical to seahorse cases. I own about 8 of the different sizes and they are great quality for the price. They are slightly lower quality than pelican but much cheaper. They are TSA approved. I have used them several times for pistols going cross country. Highly recommended!

rambo91145

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rambo91145
rambo91145 wrote:Thought I would chime in-these are identical to seahorse cases. I own about 8 of the different sizes and they are great quality for the price. They are slightly lower quality than pelican but much cheaper. They are TSA approved. I have used them several times for pistols going cross country. Highly recommended!

Thought I should add....the smallest one is really small. Barely fits a full size auto pistol. The next size is bigger than expected. I can fit 3 med pistols if I am creative or my mac10 /tec 9

caliguy0024

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caliguy0024

This caught my eye, but having never heard of "DuraLock" nor having any "DuraLock case" come up with search results other than woot.com.... I'm skeptical that these are any "deal" - the closest thing I could find was SportLock http://www.sportlockllc.com/ -- where you can get cases for HALF the price.

2 Pistol case for $40: http://www.sportlockllc.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=00002

wd6cmu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wd6cmu

Hmmm... I looked at the Seahorse models and the case seems to be the same, but the latches look different. These have some kind of twist knob to lock the latch down, the Seahorse looks like it's just a snap.

markdanielmiller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages markdanielmiller
landona wrote:found the Seahorse SE-720F for just $69.12 of Amazon. Same case - better price... & free shipping. We'll see how it stands up in comparison to my Pellican cases.

I see the SE-720F on Amazon for $69.12...if you want that ugly highlighter yellow color The plain black, though, is $85.26.

http://www.amazon.com/Seahorse-SE-720F-Waterproof-Protective-Hardcase/dp/B000OVHAV2/

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Just got mine and, wow, larger than expected. I bought the double but there's quite a bit of room to spare as I have compact pistols. Now I just have to find a lock that can stand up to as much punishment as the case looks like it could...

p0diabl0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p0diabl0
ddarity wrote:Thanks so much for this! Dont know how you found it, your google-fu must be strong! I would like to nominate this for a Quality Post.... i honestly don't know what that means, but this was of great assistance to me..

Although my google-fu is strong, it wasn't needed in this instance. I've used Seahorse cases on my motorcycles - the 520 and 720 models as panniers and a 300 as a tank bag. I ride and see them every day so i recognized them immediately and knew the price was just awful. For the record they are great cases. I prefer them to pelicans because you can get them with integrated locks.

Source where I've bought mine:
Fuerte Cases
http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=fuertecases&Category_Code=Seahorse-Hurricane-Cases

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

I got the Seahorse 540 a few months ago and I love it. Quality product.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/se-540-quick-draw-pistol-case.aspx?a=691602